PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A At will Dimensional Door, or equivalent (Alternatively, invisibility?)

Buufreak
2023-08-20, 02:33 PM
Any creature or ability exist that lets it teleport within sight range at will?

Alternatively, what I am going to call "slow teleporting," at will invisibility so it can then move appropriately the distance before attacking. I think there is a fey that has that, but not sure which it is.

Metastachydium
2023-08-20, 02:57 PM
Any creature or ability exist that lets it teleport within sight range at will?

Well, if a range of 20 to 45 feet helps, the Dimensional JauntCM Reserve feat can do that.

Alternatively, what I am going to call "slow teleporting," at will invisibility so it can then move appropriately the distance before attacking. I think there is a fey that has that, but not sure which it is.

The Core answer is Pixie, with always on, free action suppress/resume Su Greater Invisibility. LA +4, naturally, but does the job and then some.

ciopo
2023-08-20, 03:04 PM
Blink dog is best dog

Telok
2023-08-20, 03:13 PM
Warlock get a short range at will teleport and at will invis. Bit high level wise due to classic over valuation of at will non-damage stuff.

Buufreak
2023-08-20, 04:13 PM
These all look good! I can certainly mix and match a bit. Thanks all!

Gruftzwerg
2023-08-20, 04:16 PM
Blink dog is best dog

The ability affects only the blink dog, which never appears within a solid object and can act immediately after teleporting.

Are you suggesting to play a blink dog?^^

IIRC with a lvl 2 dip into totemist you could get at will short range teleport.

Biggus
2023-08-20, 04:19 PM
Agreed that Blink Dog is best for teleport, Breathdrinker (MM2) has Invisibility as a free action

The OP specifically asked for creatures, I assume they have access to Shapechange or similar

Beni-Kujaku
2023-08-20, 05:00 PM

IIRC with a lvl 2 dip into totemist you could get at will short range teleport.

As one of the proponents of the LA reassignment project‚ yes. Yes I am suggesting that. Go play blink dogs everybody. And shadows. And Young Adult Dragons. And Caligrostos!

More to the point‚ it may be a little tongue-in-cheek‚ but a persisted (through DMM or similar) Greater Dimension Door gives you the ability to teleport at will for a day. Alternatively‚ Celestial Familiar allows you to gain a Lantern Archon familiar‚ that can teleport you if you're inside your Bag of Holding (one move action to get in‚ your familiar uses a standard to teleport and a move to open the bag‚ then you get out with another move action. Basically at-will Dimension Door with infinite range.

St Fan
2023-08-20, 05:40 PM
Blink Shirt soulmeld from Magic of Incarnum, full stop.

Dimension Door every round as a standard action.

Can be taken with the Shape Soulmeld feat, though range will be very limited (10 ft) without essentia to invest in it.

Better to take two Totemist levels to get the essentia as well as the Totem chakra. Then you can link the Blink Shirt to the Totem chakra and use the power as a move action.

I have a character concept that exploit this soulmeld for all it is worth:
Primary function is to escape grapples or other restraining situations.
Coupled with a level of Elocater for Scorn Earth, and the teleportation allows pseudo-flight.
Coupled with the Sun School feat, it gives a free attack after each teleportation (which, as specified above, can be part of a move action).
Coupled with the Psycarnum Infusion feat, and the teleportation can have maximum range (around 60 ft past level 17) with no need for essentia in case of emergency.

Plus, the Blink Shirt looks good.

Otherwise, there are the Shadow Hand maneuvers from Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords.
All three teleport within 50 ft if you have line of sight: Shadow Jaunt (standard action), Shadow Stride (move action) and Shadow Blink (swift action).

Not exactly at-will since you need to recover the maneuvers after use (which takes at least 1 round for a Swordsage), but you can master each of the three maneuvers separately, for three instant displacements in a fight before using a recovery method.

As for the invisibility trick, there is the Monk ACF "Invisible Fist" (which replaces Evasion): 1 round of invisibility every 4 rounds as an immediate action, with no other limit in use. (From Exemplars of Evil.)

Anthrowhale
2023-08-20, 05:51 PM
The Equinal (6HD Neutral Good outsider in Book of Exalted Deeds) has Dimension Door at will.

Buufreak
2023-08-20, 05:52 PM
Agreed that Blink Dog is best for teleport, Breathdrinker (MM2) has Invisibility as a free action

The OP specifically asked for creatures, I assume they have access to Shapechange or similar

Incorrect entirely, but purpose isn't required to answer the question, which again thanks to all the suggestions.

That said, definitely not looking for classes or builds, just to save people some time.

Twurps
2023-08-20, 06:31 PM
There's a mystery called 'step into shadow' (tome of magic). Which is basically dimension door, and if I remember correctly a shadowcaster of lvl 14 can cast it an unlimited number of times per day.

Chronos
2023-08-20, 09:06 PM
Shadowcasters only get their fundamentals at will, not any of their higher-level mysteries.

And I wouldn't recommend binding Blink Shirt to your totem chakra: A move action rather than a standard is an improvement, but it still inherits the "can't do anything that turn after teleporting" thing from Dimension Door, which negates a lot of the benefit of it being a move action. Plus, the totem chakra bind has an awfully high opportunity cost: You could put Girallon Arms or Manticore Belt on there, instead.

Oh, and a lot of celestials have not just Dimension Door, but Greater Teleport, at will.

SangoProduction
2023-08-21, 07:17 AM
If Spheres is on the table, the Invidian archetype for the Symbiat gives us Shadow Leap at level 1, which passively grants the effects of Step Through Darkness, but with an additional +10 feet of range every 3 levels, beyond the normal +10 feet every 5 levels that it normally gives.
But if you're fine with 30 ft + 10 ft per 5 levels, and spending a spell point per (level) hours, then you can just pick up the talent on any character.
It would let you teleport within range, between areas of low light / darkness. As a move action. Conveniently, as a Dark sphere talent, you can generate those areas.

SirNibbles
2023-08-21, 10:43 AM
As for the invisibility trick, there is the Monk ACF "Invisible Fist" (which replaces Evasion): 1 round of invisibility every 4 rounds as an immediate action, with no other limit in use. (From Exemplars of Evil.)

Every 3 rounds.

You must wait 3 rounds before you can use this ability again.

Exemplars of Evil, page 13

You must wait 3 rounds after using the ability, not after the ability expires.

Start of Round 1. Use ability. Invisible.
End of Round 1. Still invisible.
Start of Round 2. No longer invisible. 1 round has elapsed.
End of Round 2. Not invisible. 1 round has elapsed.
Start of Round 3. Not invisible. 2 rounds have elapsed.
End of Round 3. Not invisible. 2 rounds have elapsed.
Start of Round 4. 3 rounds have elapsed: ability is usable again.

TalonOfAnathrax
2023-08-21, 12:13 PM
If you have a bunch of money or a mid-level crafter, Greater Vestments of Power grants at-will dimension door.

A Binder capable of binding Malphas can have constant invisibility.