PDA

View Full Version : [CR] New Tal'dorei Reborn Campaign Setting Book Sale on DDB

Psyren
2023-08-24, 11:00 AM
Has anyone else bought this yet? What do you all think of the player content?

Critical Role released a new (third party, but available in DnDBeyond) Tal'dorei Reborn campaign setting book. (https://www.dndbeyond.com/marketplace/sourcebooks/taldorei-campaign-setting-reborn) I have groups that allow Critical Role content due to the Wildemount stuff like Echo Knight being positively received, so I snapped this up (especially since it's on sale right now), but I was curious to see if people had the chance to read through it for any standouts or anything that might potentially be overtuned.

The new subclasses include:

Juggernaut Barbarian
College of Tragedy Bard
Blood Domain Cleric
Moon Domain Cleric
Blighted Druid
Cobalt Soul Monk (I think this one existed on DDB previously)
Oath of the Open Sea Paladin
Runechild Sorcerer
Blood Mage Wizard

There are also several new feats, backgrounds and spells, and a couple of racial updates too. Anyone else who bought this, what are your thoughts?

Nagog
2023-08-24, 01:38 PM
I don't own the book, but I am currently playing a Juggernaut Barbarian and it's loads of fun. Their emphasis on terrain destruction allows for a lot of creative options in combat.

Many of the others I've read seem alright, but nothing has stood out to me enough to build a character with as much as the Juggernaut.

Oramac
2023-08-24, 03:19 PM
Anyone else who bought this, what are your thoughts?

I bought the book a while back, but I won't buy it on DDB. I primarily use it as inspiration for writing my own world (along with several other books).

That said, I think both the bard and sorcerer subclasses are particularly interesting. I haven't had a chance to play them myself, though. Not for lack of desire, just lack of time.

I also quite like the optional death and resurrection rules, and have more or less implemented them in my own games.

Osuniev
2023-08-24, 03:30 PM
I have DMed a campaing from level 1-11 (tomb of Annihilation with some homebrew and Gritty Realism rules) and the Bard of Tragedy shone in this context.

It was not overtuned, but I was a ruthless DM in this campaign (my players ofen have 6+ extra deadly encounters between Long Rest) and it held his own. Its ability to regain Bardic Inspiration whenever an ally rolled a 1 allowed the player to keep giving it ALL THE TIME, and in a context of scarcity that is huge.

Psyren
2023-08-28, 01:42 PM
Okay, so I wasn't aware this was a legacy book that only now had gotten ported to DDB, my bad. Are there any differences (e.g. errata) between the versions? I'm guessing the removal of fixed ASIs from their races is a recent change for instance.

I guess in part, I'm more excited for what this represents - i.e. provided there is some minimum threshold of content curation, the stuff available on the DDB storefront should adhere to some kind of quality standard. At the very least, more people will use it than would have otherwise, especially since they've coded the options into the character builder; even if errors made it to the online version that will give either the designers better feedback for errata, or the playerbase a set of common houserules to work with.

Oramac
2023-08-28, 02:28 PM
Are there any differences (e.g. errata) between the versions?

You mean between Tal'dorei Reborn and the original Tal'dorei Campaign Setting? I'd have to get my books and compare them back-to-back, to be sure. Outside of some basic typo fixes and text updates, I don't think there's any major changes. If anything, there's just more information all around.