PDA

View Full Version : Player Help in 3.0/3.5/pathfinder 1e - - way to not critically fail on a roll of 1.

samduke
2023-08-24, 11:20 AM
so in 3.0/3.5/pathfinder 1e, I seem to recall a way to not critically fail on a roll of 1.

it may be class/prc, it may be a feat, it may be epic < possibly 3rd party, but I do not think it is >

if you know what does this I am grateful

thanks in advance

FactualArcher
2023-08-24, 11:34 AM
The Knight (from PHB II) ability Impetuous Endurance means they don't fail saving throws on a nat 1. There are also lots of ways to reroll a one, but they might not what you are looking for.

Buufreak
2023-08-24, 12:47 PM
You can become a god of appropriate divine rank.

ciopo
2023-08-24, 01:30 PM
On what kind of rolls?

Skill checks and ability checks already do not have automatic fails (or successes) , which is a reason those martial manouvers to substitute saves with a concentration check are so good.

Steadfast determination removes the auto fail on fortitude saves.

Generally speaking, I find rerolls are the best way to fumble-protect

Biggus
2023-08-24, 01:36 PM
The feat Steadfast Determination (PHB2) does this but only for Fortitude saves.

Edit: also the Pride domain (SpC) allows you to reroll all nat 1's on saves.

Inevitability
2023-08-24, 02:55 PM
Various Iron Heart maneuvers replace saving throws with a Concentration check, which is easier to max out and doesn't autofail on a roll of 1.

The Kensai has a similar ability for Reflex saving throws.

Disciple of the Word can use Truespeak to replace Reflex saves.

The Saddleback regional feat lets you use Ride to replace Reflex saves.

lightningcat
2023-08-24, 05:25 PM
so in 3.0/3.5/pathfinder 1e, I seem to recall a way to not critically fail on a roll of 1.

it may be class/prc, it may be a feat, it may be epic < possibly 3rd party, but I do not think it is >

if you know what does this I am grateful

thanks in advance

There is no critical failure for rolling a 1. On saves and attack rolls a 1 is a failure, but nothing else. On skill checks, a 1 is just a 1.

There has been optional rules for critical failures on attack rolls, but the only one I can think of was buried deep in the 3.5 DMG, and iirc you had to make a DC 10 Dex check or lose the weapon.
I am not sure if PF1 even had that. Critical failures became a thing in PF2.

OracleofWuffing
2023-08-24, 07:36 PM
Seconding that the kind of roll is important. Use Magic Device has a fail-on-1 clause, 3.5 Warlocks get to take 10 beginning at level 4. Can't fail if you don't roll. Unfortunately, doesn't help with saves and whatnot.

ciopo
2023-08-25, 12:43 AM
Seconding that the kind of roll is important. Use Magic Device has a fail-on-1 clause, 3.5 Warlocks get to take 10 beginning at level 4. Can't fail if you don't roll. Unfortunately, doesn't help with saves and whatnot.

Not exactly, use magic device has codified one of the few actual "fumbles", but the "nat 1" effect only trigger if it would actually be a failure, so if you roll a 1 and the result is a 20 and you're trying to activate a wand, you're good to go, it's not an automatic failure

samduke
2023-08-25, 06:51 AM
my bad for not clearly stating Attack Rolls, as those and saves are the only thing that can normally crit fail on a natural 1.

I found in pathfinder 1e, mythic champion path ability Always a Chance (Ex), but not every game has mythic allowed.

I also found in pathfinder 1e, the Flamboyant weapon enhancement (Flamboyant, Greater)
this can work, though there is a need to get more panache points.

Amateur Swashbuckler feat, Extra Panache feat < can only be taken 1 time without swashbuckler levels

those with flamboyant nets 4-6 panache points

are there ways to get more Panache points without levels of swashbuckler?

edited
Sniper sphere, Perfect Shot means that a nat 1 isn't an auto-miss on ranged attacks.

Buufreak
2023-08-25, 10:03 AM
my bad for not clearly stating Attack Rolls, as those are the only thing that can normally crit fail on a natural 1.

Incorrect. Saves can also auto fail.

icefractal
2023-08-25, 02:02 PM
There's some stuff in Spheres of Power/Might, if 3PP stuff is on the table.

Saves: Fate sphere, The Fool and Temperance arcanas last hours/level and reduce your chance of nat 1 to 1 / 160k, or 1 / 64m if you're willing to expend The Fool.

Attacks: Sniper sphere, Perfect Shot means that a nat 1 isn't an auto-miss on ranged attacks.

RNightstalker
2023-09-02, 12:13 AM
Luck Domain gives a reroll as the granted power. Lucky weapon enchantment lets you reroll an attack roll. Doomwarding weapon enchantment lets you have an additional attack or burn a charge to reroll any die. Luck feats from Complete Scoundrel grant extra rerolls, and one let's you burn a reroll to count a nat 1 as a nat 20. Fortune's Friend PrC from Complete Scoundrel gives extra rerolls as a class feature. There's a PrC from Races of the Wild that lets you alter luck. There's also another luckstone magic item that gives you an extra reroll. Amulet of Second Chances from MIC is the ultimate mulligan that lets you rewind the clock an entire turn and redo it.