PDA

View Full Version : Looking 4 a system 4 a cyberpunk setting with magic.

Throne12
2023-08-24, 01:41 PM
Plz no shadow run suggestions. I got my reasons.my group has been playing 5e and dungeon world for years now. Group don't like to much crunchy or to light systems. Anything like or more then D&D 3.5 is a no and anything less then fate is a no. So do yall have a suggestions for me plz and thank you.

LibraryOgre
2023-08-24, 02:39 PM
Can I interest you in Shadowrun (https://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/2023/07/the-savage-shadows-editted.html), but with a different system? :smallbiggrin:

There's also Savage World's Sprawlrunners (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/334278/Sprawlrunners?affiliate_id=315505) or Interface Zero (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/124685/Interface-Zero-20-Full-Metal-Cyberpunk?affiliate_id=315505) (which does not have magic, but does have versions for Fate (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/186125/Interface-Zero-20-Fate-Edition?affiliate_id=315505), Pathfinder (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/214863/Interface-Zero-Pathfinder-Edition?affiliate_id=315505), and Starfinder (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/264770/Interface-Zero-20-Starfinder-Edition?affiliate_id=315505)).

Telok
2023-08-24, 08:47 PM
Do you want a setting or a system?

Because if you want a system then any game capable of handing tech & magic will work. You have everything from Lasers & Feelings to Gurps or Champions. Because 'cyberpunk' is a setting and you can use ShadowRun for that just fine by swapping out game systems.

Beelzebub1111
2023-08-25, 05:56 AM
Well you could play cyberpunk 2020 with Interlock Unlimited (http://datafortress2020.com/InterlockUnlimited.html)'s arcane unlimited add-on.

JellyPooga
2023-09-21, 06:04 AM
The specific why of "no shadowrun" might help inform suggestions here.
- Is it the crunch/mechanics aspect? If so what don't you like about it? The dice mechanics? The character creation process? The skill system? etc.
- Is it the setting? If so, what don't you like about it? The backstory? The Corps? Certain specifics?

Flipside; what aspects of "cyberpunk with magic" are you looking for in your game?
- The impact of cyberwear and/or magic on humanity/empathy?
- Conflict between tech and magic?
- Conflict between Corps and the Streets?
- Fashion?
- Artificial Intelligence vs. Gods & Demons?

All of the above is important information. For instance, there's a very popular setting that could be described as "Cyberpunk with Magic", involving a whole faction that worships technology and despises flesh, seeking to replace their meat with cyberwear, another that uses magic, cyberwear and high tech to dominate and subjugate their society to further the goals of their immortal leader, another that espouses the use and development of tech, but isn't much into the cyberwear side of things, another that focuses more on magic and devotion to their gods to achieve their goals, another that has innate magic that they use to power their tech...and so on and so forth. Have you guessed what it is? In a lot of regards, Warhammer 40,000 is a "cyberpunk with magic" setting, but it's a far cry from Shadowrun or Cyberpunk 2020.

The more information you provide, the better the results you'll get :smallwink:

stoutstien
2023-09-22, 01:22 PM
Plz no shadow run suggestions. I got my reasons.my group has been playing 5e and dungeon world for years now. Group don't like to much crunchy or to light systems. Anything like or more then D&D 3.5 is a no and anything less then fate is a no. So do yall have a suggestions for me plz and thank you.

Cities without number. Also has compatibility with world and stars without number alongside a few other sources books.

The free version doesn't have many rules in it for magic but there are rules for making it compatible with the free content from WWN while also having rules to use a lot of OSR and basic content.

Anonymouswizard
2023-09-22, 04:28 PM
There's also Modern AGE, a pretty neat modern day system with magic and psionics in the core book and enhancements (magical, cyber, biological, whatever you want to fluff them as) and fantasy races in the first big supplement as well as the PoD cyberpunk book. It's got a pretty neat critical hit system (if you roll doubles you can spend points on doing Cool Stuff), as well as some basic systems for things like investigations in the corebook.

It's also mostly compatible with Fantasy AGE if you need even more fantasy, as well as the other lines using the core engine, but some work may be required.

Mindflayer_Inc
2023-10-05, 07:31 AM

Give Cypher System a try!

It's got a lot of meat but also a lot of simplicity. The HP system is a bit weird, and The Magnus Archives has a thing called Stress that somewhat fixes "HP", but even at its core it works well.

Building a character in Cypher is fast as all abyss, but as you gain a lot of abilities... It's like playing D&D but everyone gets cool things and everything is called something else (XP isn't XP how you know it).

Anonymouswizard
2023-10-05, 10:19 AM
Give Cypher System a try!

It's got a lot of meat but also a lot of simplicity. The HP system is a bit weird, and The Magnus Archives has a thing called Stress that somewhat fixes "HP", but even at its core it works well.

Building a character in Cypher is fast as all abyss, but as you gain a lot of abilities... It's like playing D&D but everyone gets cool things and everything is called something else (XP isn't XP how you know it).

Cypher is a resource management game like Nobilis, except it uses a die to generate uncertainty. It could probably do with a more in depth consequences system, but it's all about rationing both your pools and your rest actions.

Although seriously why do Adepts exist? They're designed for the original Numerals type system but sit out like a sore thumb compared to the Warrior/Explorer/Speaker triad.

Mindflayer_Inc
2023-10-06, 07:04 PM
Cypher is a resource management game like Nobilis, except it uses a die to generate uncertainty. It could probably do with a more in depth consequences system, but it's all about rationing both your pools and your rest actions.

Although seriously why do Adepts exist? They're designed for the original Numerals type system but sit out like a sore thumb compared to the Warrior/Explorer/Speaker triad.

Pretty much any TTRPG is a resource management game, I mean, D&D is all about HP and Spellslot resource management to varying degrees depending on the edition.

I don't understand the question about why Adepts exist, I mean, who doesn't love a mage type? They are built to be more controller-ish and support but you can do damage with them (that ignores armor).

Adepts don't fall under the other three types. Warriors, Explorers, and Speakers are more along the lines of Fighters, Rogues, and Bards and not Wizards, Sorcerers, or Warlocks.