PDA

View Full Version : Help Choosing Infernal Spouse

TheBrassDuke
2023-08-24, 02:12 PM
So for context, I’m playing an Astral Elf Cleric of Peace in our next game. She is the third of seven [late] princesses, who hail from one of the world’s three The Elves come from one, the Drow from another; the third, silent moon is for exiles, but harbors a dark secret—Mindflayers. They’ve been abducting elves from the other moons..

The DM has asked us to set up three goals for our characters, two lesser and one major. For mine, she would like to become a nuncio of sorts, and take a position among one of the most powerful and efficient organizations in the ‘verse: The Dark Eight. For the record we’re not given this just because we ask; our DM makes us work hard for our desires; she just likes to plan far ahead, in case any of you were wondering.

She started off as a goodwill ambassador for her moon, nurturing relations with Celestials, Devils (and the occasional tana’ri generals), Fey, Elementals, etc., and wasn’t actually introduced to the other mortal races until the start of our game.

I aim to marry her to one of the Archdevils, or some other high-ranking devil and would like some assistance. She would be taking over the position of Zapan, who was in charge of Immortal Relations.

As a Peace Cleric, who intends to remain LG, I’d like to know which devil she can marry the easiest.

Edit because I made a stupid.

Unoriginal
2023-08-24, 03:43 PM
I aim to marry her to one of the Archdevils, or some other high-ranking devil and would like some assistance. She would be taking over the position of Zapan, who was in charge of Immortal Relations.

As a Peace Cleric, who intends to remain LG, I’d like to know which devil “she can change [him]” the easiest. 🤷🏼*♂️

Which one would be the easiest?

None.

All devils are mass-harm-inflicters who want to enslave the multiverse. As in, they are the literal personifications of those things.

It's possible (if incredibly hard and unlikely) for one of them to change, since they have free will, but in doing so they would stop being a devil and they would not keep their job in the Infernal Hierarchy.

That goes nine times harder for Archdevils, who have been battered and rewarded by the system for untold amounts of time and are *nearly* at the top.

Amnestic
2023-08-24, 03:59 PM
It requires a bit of a mcguffin but Zariel can get redeemed.

Otherwise, I'd put my money (heheheh) on Mammon, or perhaps Glasya.

Unoriginal
2023-08-24, 05:29 PM
It requires a bit of a mcguffin but Zariel can get redeemed.

Not "a bit of a McGuffin", it's a very specific artifact that holds a part of the power she had as an angel and force of good. And even then it takes a lot to convince her to stop being evil.

And if you do convince her, she immediately stops being a devil or in charge of anything in Hell.

KorvinStarmast
2023-08-24, 06:33 PM
As a Peace Cleric, who intends to remain LG, I’d like to know which devil “she can change [him]” the easiest. 🤷🏼*♂️ Marriage ... is what brings us together today (https://youtu.be/3odMTPuzLwY?t=23).
Best advice I ever got about marriage was this:
"Make sure you love them as they are, since expecting that you can change them is a sure way to the opposite of marital bliss."
We've been married for over 30 years.

In other words, your cleric is paving the highway to Fail City, population her.
Have fun.

Zevox
2023-08-24, 06:43 PM
As a Peace Cleric, who intends to remain LG, I’d like to know which devil “she can change [him]” the easiest. 🤷🏼*♂️
This sounds like a good way to end up as a cautionary tale.

Try Baalzebul. I mean, he's a fallen angel, same as Zariel, the only Archdevil we know for sure can be redeemed; surely it must be possible to redeem him too, right? :smallamused:

TheBrassDuke
2023-08-24, 07:50 PM
It's possible (if incredibly hard and unlikely) for one of them to change, since they have free will, but in doing so they would stop being a devil and they would not keep their job in the Infernal Hierarchy.

"Make sure you love them as they are, since expecting that you can change them is a sure way to the opposite of marital bliss."

In other words, your cleric is paving the highway to Fail City, population her.
Have fun.

This sounds like a good way to end up as a cautionary tale.

Okay so maybe “change him” was not correct. How about, “which would be the easiest to marry?” (I’ll edit OP) She doesn’t care at all about forcing them to be a Good guy.

Our DM works with us entirely. So I’ve said I want to marry a devil, she’s gonna make it possible, so I can earn it if and when I choose to do so. It’s definitely going to be hard, and she’s already hinted that this devil may be harassing my character at first, bothering her and ruining her life potentially. Not sure yet, I gotta see.

But she is no stranger to Infernals, and knows they can be friendly, can find love, blah blah blah. I don’t really mind whatever path we take to get there. It could be an arranged marriage, it could be love; it can be a number of things, honestly. All I’m supposed to do is pick one. She can work on changing the politics when she gets into the DE, I’m not concerned with actively trying to make whichever devil-spouse she gets into a goodie two-shoes.

Note: My DM follows very few rules about whether or not the devil would stay a devil in our game, and is very “Eberron” with her alignments. Going forward, she’s relaxed and won’t punish us too hard for making obviously silly choices. She’ll see if we can succeed, that’s about it.

Unoriginal
2023-08-24, 08:35 PM
Okay so maybe “change him” was not correct. How about, “which would be the easiest to marry?” (I’ll edit OP) She doesn’t care at all about forcing them to be a Good guy.

Belial and Fierna would be the easiest to marry, either as a pair or individually. They likely marry several mortals each years.

Glasya would be the easiest to have a marriage contract with, but not a marriage relationship.

Segev
2023-08-24, 11:27 PM
Start by wooing Asmodeus. But be the sort of politically savvy and desirable marriage partner Mephistopheles would actually want to tie such a knot with. His envy of Asmodeus will cause him to pursue you. His pride will not let him assume you played him. And your desirability and a competent marriage contract will keep him treating his wife well.

Unoriginal
2023-08-25, 02:27 AM
Start by wooing Asmodeus. But be the sort of politically savvy and desirable marriage partner Mephistopheles would actually want to tie such a knot with. His envy of Asmodeus will cause him to pursue you. His pride will not let him assume you played him. And your desirability and a competent marriage contract will keep him treating his wife well.

Have to make sure that there is no implication you want to marry Asmodeus, though. Because he will not be about at anyone trying that.

Nagog
2023-08-25, 10:25 AM
Gargauth for sure. He's the devil of political corruption, and is a master of deception and performance. As big a fan as I am of the "Risen Devil" trope, Gargauth would definitely not be one I'd attempt it with, but he is very adept and practiced at making himself seem like a good guy and making what he does for his own benefit seem like it's for the good of the many.

He isn't fixable, but he is the most likely to dupe someone into thinking he is.

Also, you may be able to pick up the Shield of the Hidden Lord later on, as in the mainstream D&D canon he's been trapped in there for a very long time.

Segev
2023-08-26, 01:49 AM
Have to make sure that there is no implication you want to marry Asmodeus, though. Because he will not be about at anyone trying that.

Could you elaborate on this, please? I am not sure I am following.

NontheistCleric
2023-08-26, 03:11 AM
I think it may be because Asmodeus genuinely loved Bensozia and is still really broken up about her death. Anything that forces him to confront or reveal that vulnerability will likely have a poor reception.

Unoriginal
2023-08-26, 05:18 AM
Could you elaborate on this, please? I am not sure I am following.

I think it may be because Asmodeus genuinely loved Bensozia and is still really broken up about her death. Anything that forces him to confront or reveal that vulnerability will likely have a poor reception.

Exactly, Asmodeus is one of those widowers who still consider themselves married to their late wives. Trying to get him to marry anyone would likely make him mad with anger.

Kane0
2023-08-26, 06:29 AM
Now this is the sort of thread i enjoy reading!

Edit: the one i find the funniest would be Levistus

Brookshw
2023-08-26, 07:08 AM
Considering the archdevils generally don't care about the blood war, and the dark eight are pretty all about the blood war, I'm finding the premise here comical.

Dispater: Hey, council, this person's joining you.
Council: Uhhh, we're already full up, what are their qualifications?
Dispater: None, but they're my special someone so you'll do it anyway.
Council: *grumble* Freaking nepotism nonsense. Fine, here, you can be in charge of, uhhh....headlight fluid.
Dispater: Great!
Council: Okay, now that this is settled, Dispater, have you had a chance to review our armament requirement forecast report?
Dispater: What? No, I can't be bothered with this. Go figure it out.

Unoriginal
2023-08-26, 12:13 PM
If you're fine with an Archdevil who isn't the top dog, Bel would be pretty easy to convince if you can procide him with the political acumen he's in critical lack of.

He would get cold feet and put the marriage plans on ice indefinitely.

Sorinth
2023-08-26, 01:08 PM
I think it would probably make more sense for the king/queen to arrange the marriage and so who your character would marry wouldn't really be up to her.

If it's her personal goal to marry an archdevil but be LG, then the question is why? It's clearly not for Love, so almost must be for Duty. In that case it's probably the devil most willing to go to war with your moon and so you are a peace bride. Ideally in this situation the contract would allow the war to go ahead if you do a specific thing and therefore the devil will always be trying to tempt you into doing the thing.

Unoriginal
2023-08-26, 01:14 PM
I think it would probably make more sense for the king/queen to arrange the marriage and so who your character would marry wouldn't really be up to her.

If it's her personal goal to marry an archdevil but be LG, then the question is why? It's clearly not for Love, so almost must be for Duty. In that case it's probably the devil most willing to go to war with your moon and so you are a peace bride. Ideally in this situation the contract would allow the war to go ahead if you do a specific thing and therefore the devil will always be trying to tempt you into doing the thing.

Breaking the marriage vows would be a cassus belli. And an Archdevil wouldn't have much troubles getting the PC convicted for this, regardless of if she's guilty or not.

Angelalex242
2023-08-26, 01:45 PM
Well, if you put a ring on an archdevil and aren't clearly coerced, you aren't LG. You're LN at best, and will be LE by the end of the month.

TheBrassDuke
2023-08-26, 02:48 PM

Thats fantastic, I love it.

Gargauth for sure. He's the devil of political corruption, and is a master of deception and performance. As big a fan as I am of the "Risen Devil" trope, Gargauth would definitely not be one I'd attempt it with, but he is very adept and practiced at making himself seem like a good guy and making what he does for his own benefit seem like it's for the good of the many.

He isn't fixable, but he is the most likely to dupe someone into thinking he is.

Also, you may be able to pick up the Shield of the Hidden Lord later on, as in the mainstream D&D canon he's been trapped in there for a very long time.

This is also really neat, and I’ve never actually played DIA yet—there’s hint we may!

Exactly, Asmodeus is one of those widowers who still consider themselves married to their late wives. Trying to get him to marry anyone would likely make him mad with anger.

Good to remember, check.

Now this is the sort of thread i enjoy reading!

ThatÂ’s just cold, man.

Considering the archdevils generally don't care about the blood war, and the dark eight are pretty all about the blood war, I'm finding the premise here comical.

Dispater: Hey, council, this person's joining you.
Council: Uhhh, we're already full up, what are their qualifications?
Dispater: None, but they're my special someone so you'll do it anyway.
Council: *grumble* Freaking nepotism nonsense. Fine, here, you can be in charge of, uhhh....headlight fluid.
Dispater: Great!
Council: Okay, now that this is settled, Dispater, have you had a chance to review our armament requirement forecast report?
Dispater: What? No, I can't be bothered with this. Go figure it out.

Yes please.

The Mindflayers from Moon 3 are attacking my moon at the beginning of the game; IÂ’m a crash-landing alien, and I believe my kingdomÂ’s being destroyed.

The alliance is something that had been planned, albeit not so directly as to become a minister in the Dark Eight.

Breaking the marriage vows would be a cassus belli. And an Archdevil wouldn't have much troubles getting the PC convicted for this, regardless of if she's guilty or not.

This is going to be really fun.

Well, if you put a ring on an archdevil and aren't clearly coerced, you aren't LG. You're LN at best, and will be LE by the end of the month.

I can see becoming LN.

Sorinth
2023-08-26, 04:33 PM
The Mindflayers from Moon 3 are attacking my moon at the beginning of the game; IÂ’m a crash-landing alien, and I believe my kingdomÂ’s being destroyed.

The alliance is something that had been planned, albeit not so directly as to become a minister in the Dark Eight.

My suggestion would be to not believe the kingdom is destroyed but that it's in serious need of military help. Then the character's goal to be find military help and be willing to marry into anything to secure that help. But tell DM as a player you would prefer that the help come from a devil's marriage bargain.

Either way in you aren't really picking the devil in question, you are making yourself desirable/powerful and then the DM will present "options". And those first options might not be great so for your character it's a balance of getting powerful enough help vs the immediacy of the help.