PDA

View Full Version : 20th Level Mages In Scion Tabletop rpg.

ArlEammon
2023-08-25, 05:14 PM
How powerful would a level 20 wizard, etcetera be in the Scion table top rpg setting?

Anonymouswizard
2023-08-25, 05:40 PM
How powerful would a level 20 wizard, etcetera be in the Scion table top rpg setting?

Mu. Scion doesn't have levels, so a '20th level wizard' can't exist and therefore the question is invalid.

In terms of comparing a D&D 20th level wizard to Scion 2e characters? Pretty dang high, but they'll burn through their big guns very quickly. Scions meanwhile will punch lower until they start hitting demigod or god levels, but the fact they'll be imbuing as well as spending Legend, and relying on more passive Knacks and freeform Marvels than Boons means that they can have a lot more staying power even at the higher ranks of Heroes. So the Wizard is probably punching at Demigod level for a short while and Hero for the rest of the time (meanwhile a D&D Fighter probably doesn't break Hero level).

RandomPeasant
2023-08-25, 06:05 PM
"20th level Wizard" contains a great deal of variation. Do you mean a 5e Wizard or a 3.5 Wizard? Do you mean a low-op Wizard, one that's optimized but not pulling infinite loops, or one that's going all-out within the limits of whatever version of D&D we're talking about?

Kish
2023-08-25, 06:27 PM
How powerful would Superman be if he appeared on Charmed?

Quertus
2023-08-25, 07:04 PM
From my (let's call it "low level, low op") experience with Scion, I expect a 20th level D&D Wizard (2e or 3e) would fare fairly well in a Scion world, at least under a GM who let their magic actually work (ie, not me). Even spells like vanilla Fireball deals about an order of magnitude more damage than is needed to kill the average human, which is more than enough to kill, well, most anything in Scion. And the fact that they're the only ones playing 5d Wizard Chess while everyone else is playing Monopoly means that, once they learn Monopoly, they have the advantage of understanding their opponents while being an enigma themselves.

That said, the fact that the Scions seem to get... hmmm... free White Raven's Tactics every round, infinite use "No", and "I swear it's not magic" that would make a Diplomancer turn green with envy mean that the 20th level Wizard's 1st impression might well be that the realm of Scion is filled with deities (not an inappropriate 1st impression, to be fair), and make them pop a Plane Shift out of there in fear for their lives.

Or... dagnabbit, I think my senile mind is merging 2 game systems which have similar initiative systems. So I'm not actually sure which of these abilities a Scion actually can have. But a D&D Wizard has tricks from vanilla Fireball "an order of magnitude more than enough damage to kill the average human" to Teleportation to Fight to (Improved) Invisibility to Contingency to Plane Shift (if that works) to summons / animate dead minionmancy. I feel like even those are enough to be fairly impressive in... any of the systems my brain has confused for Scion, at least against low-to-mid op characters in the first few tiers of power.

By the time we hit Disintegrate, we're talking 2 orders of magnitude more health levels of damage than a normal human has. Plus the ability to change terrain it, Stone Shape, Wall of <whatever>, or even Polymorph any Object gives. Plus a 20th level Wizard is looking at at least an order of magnitude more health levels than a normal human themselves, and maybe enough "dodge" (which the Scions will be a bit confused how armor helps them dodge rather than absorbing impacts) to "nope" a lot of low-end combatants (as Scions don't have a "hit on a natural 20" rule).

I'm not sure at what point even low-op Scions start to find the tricks of a low-op 20th level Wizard to be trite, but I'd love to hear what people familiar with higher level Scion play (and who, unlike me, aren't getting the system possibly confused with one or more similar systems) say that more powerful Scions can do.

EDIT:

I don't know "Charmed", but I assume it's "Wizards", and set on Earth, which has a yellow sun? In which case, as powerful as ever, and as weak as ever against magic? Which is probably about the only thing he'd be facing in Charmed?

Psyren
2023-08-30, 01:04 AM

Piper can solo him. Not kidding.