PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pronunciation of skum

Kish
2023-08-27, 08:59 AM
The proper name of the skum race is ulat-kini, after the research facility of Ulat-Kini in Sekamina where alghollthus first created them. The word skum was originally a derogatory term used by humans, but over time the ulat-kini themselves switched to using this name as they forgot their own racial name.
...how's it pronounced? Verbally, does it sound exactly like "scum," or is there some indication of it having a k, not a c?

Darg
2023-08-27, 09:45 AM
...how's it pronounced? Verbally, does it sound exactly like "scum," or is there some indication of it having a k, not a c?

In states English, k only has one sound that c can also have if it isn't followed by an "e" or "eh" sound. Phonetically, scum is "skəm." The schwa, 'ə', is the "uh" sound. Normally skum would also be pronounced "skəm" unless the u is proceeded by an e like skuem or skume. There are always exceptions to rules in english, but only those with pretentious disorder would ever judge you for pronouncing something wrong if it is an exception and a fantasy word. The fact that the history of the word is meant to be derogatory, it being a play off of "scum" seems really likely.

Beni-Kujaku
2023-08-27, 10:41 AM
Changing one letter or miswriting a word to make a monster's name is pretty common practice for D&D. Wheep, Crysmal, Skum, Dragonne, Ghaele and Firre eladrins, Abeils, ... It doesn't mean they're pronounced differently, they just wanted to make sure people knew they were talking about a monster and not some regular scum.

Biggus
2023-08-27, 02:30 PM
Changing one letter or miswriting a word to make a monster's name is pretty common practice for D&D. Wheep, Crysmal, Skum, Dragonne, Ghaele and Firre eladrins, Abeils, ... It doesn't mean they're pronounced differently, they just wanted to make sure people knew they were talking about a monster and not some regular scum.

What word is Abeil changed from?

Metastachydium
2023-08-27, 02:34 PM
And would that mean the research facility of Ulat-Kini could be accurately described as a wretched hive of skum and villainy?

Beni-Kujaku
2023-08-27, 04:08 PM
What word is Abeil changed from?
It's from "abeille", which is "bee" in french.

And would that mean the research facility of Ulat-Kini could be accurately described as a wretched hive of skum and villainy?
Petition for a group of skums to be henceforth called a hive.

Hish
2023-08-28, 01:20 PM
Changing one letter or miswriting a word to make a monster's name is pretty common practice for D&D... Ghaele

I never realized that's supposed to be the same as gale. I've been pronouncing it as a homophone of gayly/gaily.

Malphegor
2023-10-05, 08:19 AM

my favourite of these in the mind of Abeils is the much feared

Cauchemar Nightmare

Or, the first word in French, the Nightmare Nightmare.
so just a normal nightmare but from france I guess

Beni-Kujaku
2023-10-05, 09:33 AM
my favourite of these in the mind of Abeils is the much feared

Cauchemar Nightmare

Or, the first word in French, the Nightmare Nightmare.
so just a normal nightmare but from france I guess

It's a little-known fact that all french horses are twice as big and ten times as strong as anywhere else. Why do you think the french cavalry was so crucial that its loss during the Napoleonian Russia invasion would lead to the decline of the whole Napoleonian empire in following years?

KillianHawkeye
2023-10-06, 12:49 AM
It's only a nightmare if it's from the Cauchemar region of France. Otherwise, it's just sparkling hell horse.