PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Level 12 Fighter - Help with ASIs and Feats!

Synvox
2023-08-27, 11:05 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping this is okay to post here. I'm really after a bit of help or guidance, if possible. I'm playing in my first campaign, which is a blast, and I've just hit Level 12 as Eldritch Knight, but I'm a little stuck between options for what I should choose at this point.

I should say I am by no means a min/maxer and I'm not exactly looking for the perfect build, so I'm happy to play around with things.

The issue I have is choosing between the ASI or a Feat. Currently all of my stats are even numbers so I can't take advantage of two stats here, and I imagine picking one of the "...+1..." feats isn't really ideal as it won't pump any of my stats. I've got 20 Str as it stands and I can either bump Dex to +2 or Con to +4. As far as I'm aware, the campaign will probably end at 13 or 14.

I'm thinking choosing the ASI at this level (and knowing we won't go as far as 20 and I'd be bumping a stat by +1) is probably a little redundant, so I am leaning toward picking up another Feat. Currently I have both Sentinel and Fey Touched (our campaign started at level 3 and we were all allowed to choose a starting feat) but I am a little worried dumping the ASI isn't a good idea.

Without asking to suggest Feats for me, is there any opinion on whether dumping the ASI in favour of a stat at this level (being mindful we probably aren't going much further) is a good idea?

NontheistCleric
2023-08-27, 11:22 AM
More Con never hurts, and if you are increasing stats you should probably go with that since Dex will give you minimal benefit as a Str fighter. That said, Intelligence might help you as an Eldritch Knight, if you have any spells that would be improved by it.

I suppose when it comes to feats, the question is whether or not you have a particular feat you want to take. Since the campaign is ending soon, you should just have fun. If you really can't decide, though, why not just take Tough? It's like a better Constitution increase, except it doesn't benefit saves, but as a Fighter you already have proficiency there.

RogueJK
2023-08-27, 11:50 AM
Lucky is a great Level 12 feat choice, when your primary stat is already maxed and you're not sure what else to go with. It covers so many bases that you're bound to find at least 3 impactful ways to use it each adventuring day.

Need to land a crucial attack/grapple/shove but whiff with a low roll? I'm feeling Lucky.
Need to make an important saving throw against a really nasty high level save-or-suck effect but roll low? I'm feeling Lucky.
Really need to go first so you can grab the MacGuffin before the Evil Bad Guy runs off with it, but roll low on Initiative? I'm feeling lucky.
Hulking Big Baddie rolls a Nat 20 to land a nasty critical hit on you? I'm feeling Lucky.
Need to keep Concentration on that big spell that's the only thing standing in between your party and a significantly tougher fight, but fail your Concentration roll? I'm feeling Lucky.
Etc.

GeneralVryth
2023-08-27, 12:10 PM
If you have your primary stat (Str it appears) maxed, and you are mostly using spells for buffs/support (I am guessing), then adding some new trick via a feat is the path I would be looking.

Lucky is good.
Alert could be interesting in shoring up your initiative and and making you less vulnerable to surpise/unseen foes.
War Caster could make sense if you are regularly concentrating on a buff spell.
If you aren't using a shield, Polearm master with a reach weapon plays well with Sentinel.

My best advice is think about what your biggest weakness/annoyance and try to address that since it seems you don't need anything to play to your strengths.

Unoriginal
2023-08-27, 12:54 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping this is okay to post here. I'm really after a bit of help or guidance, if possible. I'm playing in my first campaign, which is a blast, and I've just hit Level 12 as Eldritch Knight, but I'm a little stuck between options for what I should choose at this point.

I should say I am by no means a min/maxer and I'm not exactly looking for the perfect build, so I'm happy to play around with things.

The issue I have is choosing between the ASI or a Feat. Currently all of my stats are even numbers so I can't take advantage of two stats here, and I imagine picking one of the "...+1..." feats isn't really ideal as it won't pump any of my stats. I've got 20 Str as it stands and I can either bump Dex to +2 or Con to +4. As far as I'm aware, the campaign will probably end at 13 or 14.

I'm thinking choosing the ASI at this level (and knowing we won't go as far as 20 and I'd be bumping a stat by +1) is probably a little redundant, so I am leaning toward picking up another Feat. Currently I have both Sentinel and Fey Touched (our campaign started at level 3 and we were all allowed to choose a starting feat) but I am a little worried dumping the ASI isn't a good idea.

Without asking to suggest Feats for me, is there any opinion on whether dumping the ASI in favour of a stat at this level (being mindful we probably aren't going much further) is a good idea?

What is your current INT (and WIS and CHA)?

Telepathic and Telekinetic are great feats for a Fighter.

solidork
2023-08-27, 01:11 PM
This is around the level where I try to pick up Resilient: Wisdom on my non-Samurai fighters. Indomitable is a lot better when you've got a bonus to the save you're trying to reroll.

Synvox
2023-08-27, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions - really appreciate this! Realising there's some info I should've added that would help. I did see one suggestion to go Resilient:Wisdom but I'm actually playing Kalashtar so I think already having advantage there should be fine?

My stats so far are:
Str: 20
Dex: 12
Con: 16
Int: 16
Wis: 12
Cha: 10

There are some in-campaign bonuses, such as a sword that gives me +1 Int etc.

I think I'm leaning towards and additional feat based on the feedback so far. Seems most people agree (I think!) on picking a feat over the ASI at this point. Dex saves definitely seem to be my biggest weakness but I think only adding a +1 (with presumably not too much more to go campaign-wise) probably doesn't serve me a lot of benefit. Though it could be the difference between a save!

I'm a little worried dumping the ASI altogether and leaving my Dex where it is could be dangerous but at the same time I do have advantage on Wisdom saves (racial) and decent Con as a backup for when I do fail a Dex save.

GeneralVryth
2023-08-27, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions - really appreciate this! Realising there's some info I should've added that would help. I did see one suggestion to go Resilient:Wisdom but I'm actually playing Kalashtar so I think already having advantage there should be fine?

My stats so far are:
Str: 20
Dex: 12
Con: 16
Int: 16
Wis: 12
Cha: 10

There are some in-campaign bonuses, such as a sword that gives me +1 Int etc.

I think I'm leaning towards and additional feat based on the feedback so far. Seems most people agree (I think!) on picking a feat over the ASI at this point. Dex saves definitely seem to be my biggest weakness but I think only adding a +1 (with presumably not too much more to go campaign-wise) probably doesn't serve me a lot of benefit. Though it could be the difference between a save!

I'm a little worried dumping the ASI altogether and leaving my Dex where it is could be dangerous but at the same time I do have advantage on Wisdom saves (racial) and decent Con as a backup for when I do fail a Dex save.

Yeah, with your stats you're much better off with the abilities of a feat than a ASI.

The thing with advantage is it's most effective when you need around a 10 to succeed, as you need more than that it's effects fall off. So if you are facing Wis saves of like DC 16, then Resilience can go a long way.

On the Dex save front, the thing with Dex saves is they are usually area effects so failing one just means you take a lot of damage, but can still act. But if you are worried about them and use a shield, Shield Master could be worth looking in to as an alternative Resilience. The bonus action shove to knock people down can be quite useful to get advantage on melee attacks, on top of the improvements against area of effects.

Corran
2023-08-27, 09:53 PM
Generally feats are stronger.

Synvox
2023-08-28, 10:34 AM
Thanks everyone for all your info and replies - much appreciated!

I am probably leaning towards something like Telekinetic (as someone mentioned). Its fun, thematic for my character (Kalashtar) and eats into the Bonus Action which I honestly have very little use for at the minute.

Still got plenty options available but I just needed to make sure skipping the ASI wasn't silly, so appreciate the feedback on it!

Thanks!

KorvinStarmast
2023-08-28, 10:37 AM
This is around the level where I try to pick up Resilient: Wisdom on my non-Samurai fighters. Indomitable is a lot better when you've got a bonus to the save you're trying to reroll. True.

Yeah, with your stats you're much better off with the abilities of a feat than a ASI. Concur.

Feats: Lucky or Telekinetic. (I had a lot of fun with the latter on my Paladin). Have not messed with Telepathic, and I am not sure what your campaign offers that would fit with it.