PDA

View Full Version : Dependent on the Divine: How could this work?

Nagog
2023-08-27, 01:23 PM
Hey ya'll!

In an upcoming chapter of my campaign, a Goddess of the Night is going to be released into my low magic setting. As she will be the only active God presence in the world where before her imprisonment she was one of a pantheon, she's going to be taking over in a big way. Here are some of the things I have planned:

The cosmology will be altered so that it is night on the inhabited regions of the world for 80% of the day
Food and water will be scarce, and she will be investing a good percentage of the world with enough Divine power to cast Create Food and Water for everybody to survive (a sort of enforced devotion thing)
Those who have gained her favor will be the only entities not restricted by the "Low Magic" rules of the setting. She is a Neutral Goddess, so people of all alignments and affiliations may be chosen at random to suddenly be very powerful
As this world has not had an active divine presence in thousands of years, there are many people/organizations of all types that will chafe at the notion of having their actions known/monitored by an outside entity.

While this period of time will ultimately be short (3-4 months in-game), what are some things that may occur due to these actions? Particularly the first one: I'm aware that many ecosystems will be destroyed and farming will be extraordinarily difficult or even impossible with so little daylight (hence the second), but what else may occur due to these things?

Clause
2023-08-28, 10:46 AM
Hey ya'll!

In an upcoming chapter of my campaign, a Goddess of the Night is going to be released into my low magic setting. As she will be the only active God presence in the world where before her imprisonment she was one of a pantheon, she's going to be taking over in a big way. Here are some of the things I have planned:

The cosmology will be altered so that it is night on the inhabited regions of the world for 80% of the day
Food and water will be scarce, and she will be investing a good percentage of the world with enough Divine power to cast Create Food and Water for everybody to survive (a sort of enforced devotion thing)
Those who have gained her favor will be the only entities not restricted by the "Low Magic" rules of the setting. She is a Neutral Goddess, so people of all alignments and affiliations may be chosen at random to suddenly be very powerful
As this world has not had an active divine presence in thousands of years, there are many people/organizations of all types that will chafe at the notion of having their actions known/monitored by an outside entity.

While this period of time will ultimately be short (3-4 months in-game), what are some things that may occur due to these actions? Particularly the first one: I'm aware that many ecosystems will be destroyed and farming will be extraordinarily difficult or even impossible with so little daylight (hence the second), but what else may occur due to these things?

animals will become stressed by unlight shortage, grains will perish, nocturnal predators ataccking more frequently (and they ill prai humanoids because horses and other omestic animals rpidily perish) with time, plants and beasts will evolve to nocturnals) peoples live be more miserable. undead number will scale.
groups will came at war. one side that is devoted to the godess, other ho cares about frreedon of action( not nessessarly atheist) other will try to revive other gods, epidemic surges of annemics, osteoporoys, etc.

where creatures became more comum. fanactcal groups emerge in the world(from the simplest idea up the most cabal montruosityes of mind). and so on

firelistener
2023-08-29, 10:19 AM
The planet would get really cold, very quickly. Basically a mini Ice Age. And as for D&D stuff, I think a lot of creatures like vampires would use it as an opportunity to go somewhere they normally could not.

tKUUNK
2023-09-02, 05:06 PM
This may have big effects on travel & trade, if & where travel is limited to daylight hours...not to mention changes to supply & demand.

Suddenly mushrooms are a major crop?

Things take forever to dry out after a rain.

End times preachers & false prophets spring up in every city.

Shadow Monks are happy. They almost never need to walk anywhere. Recruitment is up.

People say "everything said in darkness, the Goddess can hear". Plans to neutralize her reign are made only where the sun is shining.

JonBeowulf
2023-09-03, 10:19 AM
All of the above, and:
- Crime would flourish. Consider handing out Light and/or Continual Flame.
- A cult or two would spring up in opposition to the folks being upset about this deity being among them.

GlyphicEngineer
2023-09-07, 08:06 PM
Depending on how long the goddess was imprisoned for, you might have serious religio-philosophical implications as well. The existence of the gods is fairly obvious and taken for granted in most settings, but if the world has been without them for thousands of years, that's enough time for the question of "do gods exist" to emerge and take root in various religions and philosophies. When this goddess suddenly answers "yes" in extreme fashion, you wind up with all sorts of churches, previously speaking of "faith without evidence" as the highest good, faced with an existential threat. Some may declare her a devil and this a test of faith; others might start trying to use magic to mock up their own "miracles" to prove their gods' existences. And on the philosophical side, you'd have divine command theorists talking about how what the goddess has done must be good because it was a god that did it, Athar-analogues claiming that she can't be a "true" god because she clearly isn't omnipotent or omnibenevolent, and all sorts of metaphysical philosophers scrambling to incorporate the existence of divinity into their suddenly-lopsided systems. And that's just off the top of my head.

Nagog
2023-09-08, 12:46 PM
Depending on how long the goddess was imprisoned for, you might have serious religio-philosophical implications as well. The existence of the gods is fairly obvious and taken for granted in most settings, but if the world has been without them for thousands of years, that's enough time for the question of "do gods exist" to emerge and take root in various religions and philosophies. When this goddess suddenly answers "yes" in extreme fashion, you wind up with all sorts of churches, previously speaking of "faith without evidence" as the highest good, faced with an existential threat. Some may declare her a devil and this a test of faith; others might start trying to use magic to mock up their own "miracles" to prove their gods' existences. And on the philosophical side, you'd have divine command theorists talking about how what the goddess has done must be good because it was a god that did it, Athar-analogues claiming that she can't be a "true" god because she clearly isn't omnipotent or omnibenevolent, and all sorts of metaphysical philosophers scrambling to incorporate the existence of divinity into their suddenly-lopsided systems. And that's just off the top of my head.

Hot dang this is good stuff. This world has been without direct divine influence for many centuries, though there are powers in the world that were once divine and worshiped as such, but have no will behind them. Meanwhile there are other gods that are worshiped as having willpower, but are more "subtle powers" type gods, to the effect that even I'm not sure if they're actual entities or just belief systems.