PDA

View Full Version : Ranger: The Cooler Paladin – A Handbook for D&D 3.5's Most Redheaded Stepchild

Forrestfire
2023-08-29, 04:24 PM
https://hexdrake.support/assets/images/banner_top.png
Ranger: The Cooler Paladin
A comprehensive handbook for D&D 3.5's most redheaded stepchild.

For good reason, the ranger is a bit of an outcast in D&D. It’s a deeply weird class split between many concepts flavorwise and mechanically, full of hyperspecific class features that require specific campaigns to be good. It’s okay enough in core games, but at first glance, the ranger might seem to be just a worse version of one’s martial or caster of choice, especially in more optimized tables. It has a solid chassis that makes it okay in core games (full BAB and 6+Int skills is better than a fighter 20, right?), but even then you find yourself torn between a bunch of different niches and not particularly good at any of them.

Needless to say, as a lover of all things mechanically and thematically janky, it’s my favorite class in the game, and one I’ve been somewhat fixated on for decades now. I personally think the ranger is quite strong as a class. I’d even go as far as calling it “the platonic ideal of tier 3,” but because most of the ranger’s good options range from somewhat to excruciatingly obscure, most people kinda sleep on it… and they’re right to do so, honestly! The amount of book diving I’ve done over the years is far more than a person should have to, to make a class good. But hey! That’s what guides are for.

With all that said, I’d like to list some of the base assumptions (and their reasoning) I’m running on for the purposes of this guide, because they may be different from yours, and I’d like us to be on the same page.

All sources are open.
Look, it’s 2023. Third edition D&D came out in the year 2000. Version 3.5 came out in 2003. If you’re still playing 3.5 in 2023 you’re probably the sort of player playing in the sort of group that’s willing to let you go book diving for options. And if you’re not... well, I’m sorry, a lot of this guide is not for you. And that’s okay! You’re valid, even if I don’t agree with your approach. But I am probably going to be unable to help you much.

Anyway, to be more explicit about what this means: I am considering all “official D&D content” sources to be valid. This includes Dragon Magazine and Dungeon Magazine. This includes Diablo II: Diablerie (https://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_II:_Diablerie). It includes options listed in the sidebars and appendices of official adventure modules. It includes the Dragonlance Campaign Setting and Oriental Adventures, though not their third-party expansions. It does not include Kingdoms of Kalamarand similar books, because they’re third-party-produced licensed material without a “this is 100% official D&D content” sticker like Dragon and Dungeon do. Is that arbitrary and maybe a little petty? Yes, but it’s what I’m going with. Likewise, Pathfinder content is not being considered, for the same reason.

In addition, I'm considering setting splatbook options to be setting-agnostic. Some books, like Oriental Adventures, explicitly made their setting-specific options setting agnostic (with notes in the prestige class and feat sections directing you to outright ignore the clan/race/ancestry requirements if not playing in Rokugan, and even encouraging doing so in Rokugan), while others didn’t think to do that. Similarly, Player’s Guide to Faerûn directs you and your DM to ignore regional requirements for Faerûnian options if you don’t want to use them, and only asks that you come up with some kind of interesting backstory tidbit to justify it. I’m extending this mindset to everything. Some options have specific mechanics that don’t work outside of the setting they take place in (such as Rokugan shadowlands stuff or Forgotten Realms’ spellfire channelers), so they may not be relevant unless your group’s world has something similar, but for everything else, I’m calling it fair game.

Some degree of cheese is allowed.
I’m assuming a permissive, but reasonable DM when it comes to RAW exploits. Theoretical optimization tricks are absolutely not going to be encouraged here, but things like alternative class feature chaining (which have a very strong RAW argument for being valid), early entry into prestige classes, and so on are going to be mentioned. For some stuff, they’ll be cordoned off into their own little section with a guide, and for others I will generally add a note about existing RAW ambiguities or citeable-but-ignored RAI, but like with the stuff above… it’s 2023 and the reason I still play 3.5 is because it has a truly massive library of options, many of which interact in unexpected and interesting ways. When I want to play a more coherent, stable game I will play 4e, Lancer, Pathfinder 2e, 5e, or any number of non-D&D-based tabletop games like Anima Prime or Olaf Hits the Dragon with His Sword. But this guide is for 3.5. I’m a weirdo cheesemonger, and you’re going to find cheese, within limits, in this handbook.

You have some understanding of how 3.5 plays in practice.
While this guide will hopefully be useful even for beginners, there’s a degree of expectation in my ratings that you have a general foundation with regards to the game itself. Things like “casters tend to scale better than noncasters because of having way more options and often better options,” “Weapon Focus is a bad feat on its own because a feat slot for only a +1 isn’t worthwhile,” and “multiclassing and prestige classes are a normal part of the game, not a cheating cheese thing” are assumptions I’ve made without including a formal proof of them in the guide itself, and many of the ratings will assume certain things about how the game is played that may not be obvious if you’re brand-new to the game. If you have questions, feel free to ask them, though the answer may end up being a link to some essay or other that a person wrote before me. The game is 23 years old and so is the community’s understanding of it. There’s a lot of ground to cover!

You don’t have an adversarial relationship with your DM.
Not every option requires DM adjudication, but some do, particularly things like unupdated 3.0 content occasionally. In addition, the ranger has abilities like tracking that can affect the flow of the campaign, and favored enemy, which relies on the DM to make things useful (though optimizing the ranger is generally about mitigating the need for the DM to give you specific enemies to fight as much as possible). It’s not as much ‘whoops, I need to work with the DM now’ as a lot of full caster options, but it’s still there, and still notable. If your DM is the type of person to, once you have a favored enemy build, never have you face those enemies again, you probably shouldn’t be playing a ranger in their game (but also should probably be having a talk with them about expectations at the tabletop).

Rangers don’t have to be racist.
This may seem like an oddly random and specific thing to put into a preface for a game mechanics handbook, but it’s important to me so I’m going to add it anyway. I’ve never liked the “rangers are The Racism Class” jokes. There’s nothing in the class itself that ever even implies that—the class’s gimmick is knowing your enemy and gaining bonuses from that. No one calls the archivist a racism-based class because they can use Dark Knowledge to get bonuses based on creature types. No one says Knowledge Devotion is racist. And yet, people get weird about rangers. Even the humanoid subtype favored enemies aren’t racism-based, but “hey I have a handle on the general skills and practices of a specific culture of people when it pertains to combat,” and there’s a lot of reasons a character might be like that other than racism (and really, racism tends to make a person not understand the culture and practices of others, so like… what even). While there are places in the game where writers for splatbooks took the “you really hate them” meme and wrote it into some option or other, I don’t particularly care for the approach being assumed to be the default.

There will be zero jokes about racist rangers in this guide, and if you come into a thread for this guide commenting with them or assuming that rangers somehow must be racist against their favored enemies, I’m going to sigh and move on and ignore it but will internally be fairly cross about it. That’s all I’m going to say about this topic.
For ratings within the handbook, I'll be using a fairly standard rate-by-color setup, but in order to accommodate colorblind readers I'll also be using a letter scale when rating options, as shown here:

Gold (S): Near-mandatory or jaw-droppingly good.
Green (A): Very good, or at least worth serious consideration
Blue (B): Good, though probably not excellent
Black (C): Middle-of-the-road, but not bad.
Purple (D): Mediocre or incredibly niche.
Red (F): Terrible or otherwise actively not recommended.

And as for book abbreviations, refer to the following list for them. This is longer than the usual handbook's list due to me seeking more obscure sources, and I've also in some cases used the colloquial abbreviations preferred by the 3.5 fandom over Wizards' official ones (really, who uses "SC" to refer to the Sunless Citadel?).

A&EG—Arms and Equipment Guide
BFK—Barrow of the Forgotten King
BoBS—Bastion of Broken Souls
BC—Book of Challenges
BoED—Book of Exalted Deeds
BoVD—Book of Vile Darkness
CoR—Champions of Ruin
CoV—Champions of Valor
CiP—City of Peril
CoS—City of Splendors: Waterdeep
CoStrom—City of Stormreach
CSQ—City of the Spider Queen
City—Cityscape
CAdv—Complete Adventurer
CArc—Complete Arcane
CC—Complete Champion
CDiv—Complete Divine
CMag—Complete Mage
CPsi—Complete Psionic
CSco—Complete Scoundrel
CWar—Complete Warrior
Co—Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave
DG—D&D Gazetteer
DH—Deep Horizon
DotF—Defenders of the Faith
DD—Deities and Demigods
D2—Diablo II: Diablerie
Drac—Draconomicon
DrCom—Dragon Compendium
Dr#—Dragon Magazine
DM—Dragon Magic
DCS—Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Dra—Dragonmarked
DoF—Dragons of Faerûn
DotU—Drow of the Underdark
Du#—Dungeon Magazine
DMG2—Dungeon Master's Guide II
DMG—Dungeon Master's Guide v.3.5
Du—Dungeonscape
ECS—Eberron Campaign Setting
EE—Elder Evils
EA—Enemies and Allies
ELH—Epic Level Handbook
EoE—Exemplars of Evil
XPH—Expanded Psionics Handbook
Rav—Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
EDP—Expedition to the Demonweb Pits
ERG—Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk
EU—Expedition to Undermountain
EH—Explorer's Handbook
ELQ—Eyes of the Lich Queen
F&P—Faiths & Pantheons
FoE—Faiths of Eberron
FLFD—Fantastic Locations: Fane of the Drow
FLFR—Fantastic Locations: Fields of Ruin
FLHP—Fantastic Locations: Hellspike Prison
FF—Fiend Folio
FC1—Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss
FC2—Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells
FN—Five Nations
FRCS—Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
FY—Fortress of the Yuan-Ti
Frost—Frostburn
Gh—Ghostwalk
GHR—Grand History of the Realms
GC—Grasp of the Emerald Claw
HN—Heart of Nightfang Spire
HBG—Hero Builder's Guidebook
HoB—Heroes of Battle
HoH—Heroes of Horror
LM—Libris Mortis: The Book of the Dead
LG—Living Greyhawk Gazetteer
LGJ#—Living Greyhawk Journal
LF—Lord of the Iron Fortress
LD—Lords of Darkness
LoM—Lords of Madness
LEoF—Lost Empires of Faerûn
MIC—Magic Item Compendium
MoE—Magic of Eberron
MoF—Magic of Faerûn
MoI—Magic of Incarnum
MotP—Manual of the Planes
MotW—Masters of the Wild
MH—Miniatures Handbook
MM2—Monster Manual II
MM3—Monster Manual III
MM4—Monster Manual IV
MM5—Monster Manual V
MM—Monster Manual v.3.5
Mon—Monsters of Faerûn
Mys—Mysteries of the Moonsea
OA—Oriental Adventures
PlH—Planar Handbook
PGtE—Player’s Guide to Eberron
PGtF—Player’s Guide to Faerûn
PHB2—Player’s Handbook II
PHB—Player’s Handbook v.3.5
PoF—Power of Faerûn
RoD—Races of Destiny
RoE—Races of Eberron
RoF—Races of Faerûn
RoS—Races of Stone
RotD—Races of the Dragon
RotW—Races of the Wild
RHoD—Red Hand of Doom
RT—Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
Sand—Sandstorm
SS—Savage Species
SoS—Secrets of Sarlona
SoX—Secrets of Xen’drik
SK—Serpent Kingdoms
SSL—Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land
SL—Shadows of the Last War
Sh—Sharn: City of Towers
ShS—Shining South
SM—Silver Marches
S&S—Song and Silence
SG—Sons of Gruumsh
SC—Spell Compendium
Storm—Stormwrack
SBG—Stronghold Builder's Guidebook
S&F—Sword and Fist
Fo—The Forge of Fury
FW—The Forge of War
ShG—The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde
SiS—The Sinister Spire
SD—The Speaker in Dreams
StS—The Standing Stone
Sun—The Sunless Citadel
T&B—Tome and Blood
ToB—Tome of Battle
ToM—Tome of Magic
Una—Unapproachable East
Und—Underdark
UA—Unearthed Arcana
VGD—Voyage of the Golden Dragon
WB—Whispers of the Vampire's Blade

Before moving to the rest, I want to extend my most heartfelt thanks to my co-author Taveena and to my gaming group, who assisted me greatly in the process of making this guide. I also want to thank LibraryOgre for his patience with me PMing him a number of times to workshop what the best way of posting this monster of a document would be, as well as NekoIncardine for setting up hosting for the site.

Anyway, let’s get on with the handbook! :smallbiggrin:

Table of Contents

This guide is big. There are eight chapters and three appendixes, described and linked below. And here is a link to the very start (https://hexdrake.support/ranger_handbook/) (which is mostly just this post, but a website version).

Chapter I: The Base Class (https://hexdrake.support/ranger_handbook/#c1-top)
In this chapter I go over the core ranger (middling as it is), as well as the addressing how weird the RAW on favored enemy advancements are. I also recommend various possible houserules for if you don't want to handle favored enemy advancements the janky RAW way.

Chapter II: Alternative Class Features (https://hexdrake.support/ranger_handbook/#c2-top)
This chapter includes a full list of favored enemy options (including those from ACFs), as well as ratings for every alternate and variant ranger feature in the game. There is also a section about ACF Chaining, both going over how it might work and the rules interpretations around it, and going over what ranger can get out of it.

Chapter III: Building Your Ranger (https://hexdrake.support/ranger_handbook/#c3-top)
This chapter is a long one. It includes a look at ability score priorities, ratings for races (includes long-form descriptive ratings for the common races and particularly good ones, as well as a table of every race in the game with ratings for rangers), an expansive feats section going over different options and paths you can take on a ranger, and sections for both multiclassing and prestige classing out of ranger.

Chapter IV: Prelude to Fiddliness (https://hexdrake.support/ranger_handbook/#c4-top)
This chapter has an abridged summary of the following three chapters, which run extremely long due to their wide scopes.

Chapter V: Companions (https://hexdrake.support/ranger_handbook/#c5-top)
This chapter goes over rules and ratings for animal companions, familiars, and special mounts. It also includes sections on customizing your companion creatures with feats and variants, and a complete table of all animal companion options in D&D 3.5.

Chapter VI: Spellcasting (https://hexdrake.support/ranger_handbook/#c6-top)
This chapter includes a list of every ranger spell in the game, descriptive summaries for the actually-notable ranger spells, an in-depth look at Sword of the Arcane Order, and a large list of wizard spell highlights for rangers taking that feat.

Chapter VII: Gearing Your Ranger (https://hexdrake.support/ranger_handbook/#c7-top)
This chapter takes a deep dive approach to equipment, going over weapons, armor, and magic items in sequence. It kinda got away from me, honestly; this chapter is big, representing a solid third of the entire handbook, and should hopefully cover item highlights for basically any ranger build you can think of. It also has a section talking about consumables and trying to assist in addressing common problems people have with them.

Chapter VIII: Optional Subsystems (https://hexdrake.support/ranger_handbook/#c8-top)
This chapter takes a look at several different optional subsystems scattered around the game, including bonded magic items, teamwork benefits, retraining, and affiliation benefits.

Appendix 1: Example Builds (https://hexdrake.support/example_builds/)
Taking a more expansive approach than most handbooks, this appendix opens with seven full "starting package" 1-to-20 builds, including item loadouts and sections for build variations and short guides for playing them. These are meant to be able to be picked up and used for games at any level, simply taking the builds and putting them down onto your sheet. This appendix also has a more standard list of less fleshed-out build ideas afterwards.

Appendix 2: Assorted Tables (https://hexdrake.support/assorted_tables/)
This handbook includes several really big tables, and thus I've collected them and placed them in a single appendix for easier referencing. Includes the full 3.5 races list, the full 3.5 animal companions list, the full ranger spell list, the lists of wizard spell highlights I included in this guide, and the full 3.5 touchstone sites list.

Appendix 3: Critical Maths (https://hexdrake.support/critical_maths/)
In the equipment chapter, this handbook makes some potentially-controversial claims about critical hits, the math behind them, and how they should be approached in building. This appendix includes a deeper look at the reasoning and math behind these statements.

Frequently Asked Questions

These are things that people have asked me a lot as I went through this guide, or I expect to be asked about it and want to get out of the way.

Q: Should I read this handbook if I don’t intend to play a ranger?
A: Honestly, maybe. This is a comprehensive ranger handbook, but the comprehensiveness also led to a lot of writing that’s genuinely useful for martial builds in general. The feats section talks about stuff that could be considered class-agnostic; the spells section would be a good read for people playing wizard-list characters in general. The companion creatures chapter is useful for druids and anyone with familiars, and so on. So yeah, give it a read if you want to, it might broaden your horizons.

Q: What sections of this handbook can I get away with skimming, and what sections should I read comprehensively?
A: You can get away with skimming Chapters 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and the appendices. The skimmable sections represent the vast majority of the guide. If you’re intending to play a ranger though I do recommend reading the first two chapters (base class, favored enemy stuff, and the ACFs list) and chapter 4 (summation of companions/magic/gear) all the way through to get an appreciation of what the class does. For the rest, you can and almost certainly should skim rather than read fully.

Q: Why did you make this guide?
A: On February 15, 2016 at 11:05pm, I posted an answer on rpg.stackexchange about making “a ranger close to tier 3,” (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/a/75735/10963") in which I made several technical inaccuracies about what ranger options could be combined together. However, actually going back and fixing it would necessitate rewriting the entire answer since my core premise (solitary hunting + mystic ranger) was flawed in the first place, and also by that point I had also realized that mystic ranger was far too strong to recommend. As silly as it might sound, this haunts me; saying “it keeps me up at night” would not be an exaggeration. I have since updated the post, but you can find the old version here (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/revisions/75735/5) in all its inglory.

Then, a couple months back, a friend pointed out the existence of the Uthgardt Barbarian regional ranger options and in particular the favored enemy (evil creatures) option listed in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. I’d been tempted many times over the years to make a proper handbook for the ranger (since no existing guide matches my thoughts on it or comprehensively approached the class), and this new information proved to be the impetus I needed to actually sit down and do it.

Q: What possessed you to be as comprehensive as you were?
A: An archon of some kind, though they prefer to call it “channeling.” Probably a word archon. A combination of spite, pride, and a complete lack of self-respect. I really like the ranger class, I really like Dragon Magazine content, and I really like digging in books for obscure options. These three things happen to be things that the 3.5 community as a whole tends to be iffy on, so I wanted to write a truly comprehensive guide to show people what I’d found.

Q: Holy crap, how long is this thing?
A: Getting an exact wordcount is tough because of it being split across several Google Docs and spreadsheets (and then converted into a webpage), but my best estimate is that it's roughly 350k words, give or take a few thousand.

Q: Are you okay?
A: I think the length of this guide speaks for itself.

Q: Why are you still putting this much effort into 3.5 in 2023?
A: Because I still play 3.5.

Q: What should I do if my DM makes sure my favored enemies don’t show up often?
A: Talk to your DM and/or not play a ranger. It’s kinda like playing a wizard with a DM who likes targeting spellbooks. This is not a thing you can solve with in-game choices, it’s a play expectations issue.

Q: What should I do if my DM doesn’t allow Dragon Magazine content?
A: Cry.

Q: How long did it take to write this?
A: According to the history of my main draft document, I wrote, researched, and edited on and off for 113 days (a little under four months). Most of my writing took place at odd hours of the day. My chronic illness often wakes me up in the middle of the night and keeps me from going back to sleep, giving me time with nothing else to do but read, write, and wait for the pain to stop.

Q: Why’d you post this as a web page instead of as a Google doc?
A: Over the years I’ve seen a lot of D&D forums die, and I admire the effort the D&D 3.5 and 4e communities have put into keeping the knowledge stored on them alive. Moving threads from one forum to another results in the handbooks and threads remaining findable in search engines, browsable on any hardware, and easily-archivable in Wayback Machine. In contrast, handbooks posted in Google docs are locked to a specific format and hosting, and if the original post for them goes down they basically vanish from the internet unless someone has copied it to their own drive, then gone out of their way to post it (which won’t show up in imprecise searches, and runs into more tricky issues around ownership of the document in my experience than archived threads do).

Plus, Google docs tend to start breaking down at the length needed for a guide like this, and having multiple Google docs linked to each other is something I consider inelegant. I considered making it a PDF, and for months was planning on making it a forum thread on GitP, but in the end after considering the amount of formatting effort and janky post handling I’d need for that (it would be a guide some 40 posts long, spread across multiple forum thread pages, and taking hours and hours to post), I just decided on a website. This is the first nontrivial web page I’ve ever made, so hopefully it does the job!

Q: Why didn’t you make a full list of available wild shape forms for rangers?
A: One, I feel like that ground has already been very well-tread by various druid and master of many forms guides. By using the Master of Many Forms Bible (https://www.enworld.org/threads/updated-master-of-many-forms-bible-official-wild-shape-rules-may-2006-harzerkatze.471903) you can get a pretty coherent view of what’s good for wild shape. Two, in the absence of master of many forms (or primeval, which has a super limited form list), wild shape ranger is actually a downgrade on ranger when all options are in play; the Small and Medium forms available, even with Aberration Wild Shape, are just not going to be as good for most builds than your own stats and baseline form due to the heavy taxes on item use and accessing wild shape in the first place. It’s fine? But since this handbook is more about the rest of ranger (which is chronically underloved), I felt like a wild shape chapter wasn’t worth writing when other people have already made multiple excellent wild shape handbooks.

Q: What's the deal with Soveliss? Why is he in so many of the banner images?
A: I just think he's funny. He looks like a mook. All the 3e iconics have a very “low-level adventurer” vibe to them that I absolutely adore, but Soveliss in particular is one of my favorites due to just... looking like, I dunno, an early tutorial boss from a Fire Emblem game or something. 10/10 iconic design.

H_H_F_F
2023-08-29, 04:59 PM
Woah! Looking forward to reading this. It's been a while since a comprehensive base class handbook's been published, I think.

However, I'm currently AFK, and the website isn't very approachable on mobile. Would you consider duplicating the handbook here, in the comments of this post? I think that'd be good - and a good way of assuring its preservation, too.

If you will, I'll delete this comment, so it looks streamlined and neat.

Forrestfire
2023-08-29, 05:01 PM
Woah! Looking forward to reading this. It's been a while since a comprehensive base class handbook's been published, I think.

However, I'm currently AFK, and the website isn't very approachable on mobile. Would you consider duplicating the handbook here, in the comments of this post? I think that'd be good - and a good way of assuring its preservation, too.

If you will, I'll delete this comment, so it looks streamlined and neat.

I am currently working on making a mobile-functional version of the site. It should hopefully be working on phones once I do. Sadly, posting it as a forum thread isn't viable—it would take some 40 posts worth of space, which is why it's a website in the first place.

H_H_F_F
2023-08-29, 05:04 PM
I am currently working on making a mobile-functional version of the site. It should hopefully be working on phones once I do. Sadly, posting it as a forum thread isn't viable—it would take some 40 posts worth of space, which is why it's a website in the first place.

Wow. That's... very long.

Let me know once the mobile version is operational!

Forrestfire
2023-08-29, 05:41 PM
Wow. That's... very long.

Let me know once the mobile version is operational!

Alright, so, I'm going to need to do some learning to make a properly-working-and-nice-looking mobile site, but for now I've pushed up a bandaid to the problem that hides the sidebars and widens the body column if you're on a mobile device. Hopefully it should at least be readable now :smalleek:

Anthrowhale
2023-08-29, 11:20 PM
I agree, very impressive. A few notes if you want to incorporate:

On races, Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale Is an overpowered LA+0 race. If you are worried about the hit dice, you can dispose of them while keeping stats using a dip into Shaper of Form.

On templates, the Half-Ogre template in Dragon magazine is LA+0 if you are already large size (which ABW is).

On weapons, the great axe is average damage 6.5, not 5.5.

Also on weapons, it's worth considering the value of undersized two-handed weapons in a single hand. For example, a small executioner's mace has a -2 penalty to hit but with Greater Mighty Wallop at caster level 20 deals the same amount of damage as the full-size version.

On armor, there is an entry in dragon 318 indicating you can benefit from Chahar-Aina and Dastana.

At high levels (for affordable expendables), sleep arrows offer a 1-in-20 chance of effect. If you are firing 10 arrows a round, that's not bad.

Forrestfire
2023-08-30, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the callout of sleep arrows! I somehow missed them in my digging (in spite of being core); I added a note about it. I also added a callout for chahar-aina and fixed my typo on the greataxe.

With regards to the overpowered races, anthropomorphic baleen whale and Dragon Magazine half-ogre were intentionally not given anything but a token mention; few DMs are likely to allow Shaper of Form (or negative level) cheese to get rid of racial Hit Dice, and fewer still are likely to allow it on one of the most broken races in the game.

I do touch on the utility of using improperly-sized weapons when TWFing in the mention, but honestly given the extensive penalties (stacking the TWF penalty with the one-handed off-hand penalty and a wrong-size penalty) I don't see it as a particularly useful option except in the most busted cases, which I had a callout for in the end of the mundane weapons section.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the feedback!

Maat Mons
2023-08-30, 01:02 AM
When you list the Shadow Sword substitution level, it isn’t bolded like the rest of them are. Since it’s also color coded black, that makes it easy to think it’s just another paragraph in the Moon-Warded section. If you’re looking to include a list of all normal familiar options, for use with Urban Companion, I recommend looking here (https://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=7059.0.msg108520#msg108520) and here (https://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=6650.msg101181#msg101181) to get started.

SoleAr
2023-08-30, 06:33 AM
Thank You very mach for your work!
Your handbook is unique because of it volume and sophistication.
may be Yoy have anoter one for other class?)

Beni-Kujaku
2023-08-30, 07:17 AM
Thank You very mach for your work!
Your handbook is unique because of it volume and sophistication.
may be Yoy have anoter one for other class?)

WeaselGuy's index of handbooks (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?654155-WeaselGuy-s-Index-of-Handbooks-and-Guides-(3-x-Ed)) lists most of the handbooks posted on GitP or elsewhere, including many focusing on specific classes. I particularly recommend Eggynack's "being everything" guide to druids, Zaq's guide to Truenamers and Troacctid's Warlockopedia, and in a lesser measure but still very in-depth JoshuaD’s New Bard Handbook, RFLS's guide to swordsages, Logic ninja's guide to being a Batman wizard, Saeomon's psion guide, AfterCrescent's 3.5 Cleric Handbook, Gildedragon's guide to the factotum, and many more.

Anthrowhale
2023-08-30, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the callout of sleep arrows! I somehow missed them in my digging (in spite of being core); I added a note about it. I also added a callout for chahar-aina and fixed my typo on the greataxe.
Happy to help--it's super comprehensive.

The greataxe typo is also in appendix 3.

With regards to the overpowered races, anthropomorphic baleen whale and Dragon Magazine half-ogre were intentionally not given anything but a token mention; few DMs are likely to allow Shaper of Form (or negative level) cheese to get rid of racial Hit Dice, and fewer still are likely to allow it on one of the most broken races in the game.

Agreed. I mention these because the header was inclusive but I don't see them included (just rechecked--I don't see the token mention?). Tweaking the header may be easier? "Full list of 3.5 races" -> "Full list of ECL 1 playable races".

I do touch on the utility of using improperly-sized weapons when TWFing in the mention, but honestly given the extensive penalties (stacking the TWF penalty with the one-handed off-hand penalty and a wrong-size penalty) I don't see it as a particularly useful option except in the most busted cases, which I had a callout for in the end of the mundane weapons section.

Rangers appear fairly capable of dealing with to-hit penalties via solitary hunter ACF+favored enemy[evil] and feat-based access to wraithstrike.

In the build section, there's an inherent question about mystic ranger: what do you do after level 10? This may trip as overpowered, but I like: Mystic Ranger 9/Heartfire Fanner 1/Sublime Chord 1/Fochlucan Lyrist 9. This burns skill points all over the place, but rangers have the necessary skill points to burn. This is basically a 1-20 gish which finishes with BAB+18 (or +19 with fractional accounting) that has spell access approximately like a sorcerer all the way through with a downside of MAD.

remetagross
2023-08-30, 12:59 PM
This is truly impressive. I'm one third through it so far, and this handbook is very instructive. Hat's off, mate!

Quick remark. When you talk about racial feats for Drows, you mention Deeper Darkness. But you don't mention the other ones, like Blend into Shadow, etc. etc. Why so? Same for the orc-exclusive Menacing Demeanor feat.

Forrestfire
2023-08-30, 01:06 PM
Happy to help--it's super comprehensive.

The greataxe typo is also in appendix 3.

Agreed. I mention these because the header was inclusive but I don't see them included (just rechecked--I don't see the token mention?). Tweaking the header may be easier? "Full list of 3.5 races" -> "Full list of ECL 1 playable races".

Rangers appear fairly capable of dealing with to-hit penalties via solitary hunter ACF+favored enemy[evil] and feat-based access to wraithstrike.

In the build section, there's an inherent question about mystic ranger: what do you do after level 10? This may trip as overpowered, but I like: Mystic Ranger 9/Heartfire Fanner 1/Sublime Chord 1/Fochlucan Lyrist 9. This burns skill points all over the place, but rangers have the necessary skill points to burn. This is basically a 1-20 gish which finishes with BAB+18 (or +19 with fractional accounting) that has spell access approximately like a sorcerer all the way through with a downside of MAD.

Mm, yeah, fair. I added a paragraph talking about that to the TWF section in chapter 7! Thanks for the feedback. I also added the mystic ranger build you proposed (with credit) to the builds section, adjusted the verbiage on the races table and headings, and fixed the token mention of anthro whale and half-ogre (which I thought I already had, but evidently it got lost in the shuffle). :smallsmile:

This is truly impressive. I'm one third through it so far, and this handbook is very instructive. Hat's off, mate!

Quick remark. When you talk about racial feats for Drows, you mention Deeper Darkness. But you don't mention the other ones, like Blend into Shadow, etc. etc. Why so? Same for the orc-exclusive Menacing Demeanor feat.

Glad you're enjoying! Thanks for reading! :smallbiggrin:

I am aware those feats exist, but I felt like they weren't notable or good enough for rangers to mention. Blend into Shadows has very limited usage for something ranger can get much more effectively elsewhere, and rangers don't make particularly solid Intimidate builds. They just felt somewhat out of scope as far as the idea of "here are the feats that are notable enough to make choosing the race for them a good call."

My general attitude with options in this handbook is that, though I made it a point to list and rate every ranger-specific option, the scale of 3.5 is far too broad to do the rest. I had an initial shortlist of feats about three times the size of what actually made it into the handbook, and cut most of the mentions for space. The same went for magic items, wizard spells, and the like. In the end, the decision to have a tighter scope on non-ranger options (limiting to the good, must-recommend-to-avoid bad, or otherwise notable ones) was a necessity to keep pagecount down... relatively speaking, anyway :smalleek:

Biggus
2023-08-30, 05:19 PM
Wow, awesome, thank you :smallsmile:

My only other comment so far is that I think you're under-rating Improved Critical a bit, because there are spells and items (Dolorous Blow, Oil of Bless Weapon/Sacred Scabbard, possibly others) which allow you to auto-confirm which don't work with a keen weapon but do work with Improved Critical. Also, adding a special property to both weapons is a steep cost for a two-weapon fighter.

I'm not saying Improved Critical is a great feat, but I don't think it's an F either.

Troacctid
2023-08-30, 08:22 PM
I think you're overrating the Complete Champion affiliations. The gp costs associated with gaining the benefits of a rank really put a damper on them, IMO. Also, a few of them, like the Knowledge domain, were nerfed in the errata.

Anthrowhale
2023-08-30, 08:27 PM
Happy to help.

A few more:
a) It seems the appendix link to the builds section on the top of the website lack an '_' resulting in a dead link.
b) I think there's some bit of verbiage in the Rules Compendium which says that an undersized reach weapon doesn't actually provide reach in the Rules Compendium. It's funky, because a small creature wielding the weapon 2-handed does have reach but a medium creature wielding the same weapon one-handed does not.
c) You might want to shift the "Forbidden Level 20 Mystic Ranger Gish" into the other builds section as it doesn't fit in the Catch 'Em All build.

Inevitability
2023-08-31, 10:14 AM
Amazing handbook, partway through but very impressed already! I'm happy to say I can contribute to it in some small way.

Hidden away on page 5 of Serpent Kingdoms it says: "Rangers in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting may select scalykind/serpentfolk instead of a creature or organization as favored enemy". Scalykind includes kobolds, lizardfolk, troglodytes and a bunch of other lizardlike monsters of varying types, while Serpentfolk is mostly yuan-ti and nagas but also includes couatls, mariliths, salamanders, and anyone who received a yuan-ti graft. These options do not seem to be currently listed.

Scalykind is especially interesting because unlike Humanoid (Reptilian) it works against dragonwrought kobolds and the blackscale lizardfolk from MM3. I'd call it a straight upgrade unless your DM really loves skarn and rilkan.

eggynack
2023-08-31, 12:24 PM
P fancy stuff. One thing I noted as absent is animate with the spirit. Actually seems like you're missing champions of valor sanctified spells in general, which mostly means animate and maybe vision of punishment. Weird lesser planar ally is a pretty decent capstone for ranger stuff.

liquidformat
2023-08-31, 05:17 PM
CH1 under spellcasting last sentence is a spelling error believe it should be wounds not sounds.

'You can even use cure light sounds wands to support your party’s healing between combats.'

this is the only issue I have noticed so far.

Forrestfire
2023-08-31, 06:39 PM
Thanks so much for the replies! I've incorporated typo/formatting fixes and other feedback (including going through the CoV sanctified spells I'd missed and adding animate with the spirit to the guide, and adding favored enemy serpentfolk). In addition, after some website feedback from elsewhere I've fixed the heading formatting to properly use <h#> tags.

Prime32
2023-08-31, 08:30 PM
An alternate light armor option for Str-based rangers:

+1 halfweightUnd Thaalud stone armorA:TEoS: +13 AC, max Dex +0, ACP -7, ASF 40% (18,950gp)
+1 halfweightUnd illithidwroughtUnd Thaalud stone armorA:TEoS: +15 AC (+13 armor, +2 insight), max Dex +0, ACP -7, ASF 40% (27,950gp)

About 3.5k more expensive than mithral tesselated armor for the same AC, and has a significantly worse Armor Check Penalty, but you can get that AC with only Dex 10 rather than 16. Or rather than 14, I guess, since you could enchant the tesselated armor as a +2 Dex item for similar cost.
It being non-metallic also has niche uses. And it also has the advantage that you're not adding upgrades or special materials to a specific armor, if that's an issue.

Not entirely clear how it interacts with special materials, but you might be able to use things like blended quartzA&EG (-20% ASF) or elukian clayA&EG (extra -1 ACP, no ACP on Swim checks). Armor modifications should still be still fine.

Anthrowhale
2023-08-31, 08:35 PM
Thanks so much for the replies! I've incorporated typo/formatting fixes and other feedback (including going through the CoV sanctified spells I'd missed and adding animate with the spirit to the guide, and adding favored enemy serpentfolk). In addition, after some website feedback from elsewhere I've fixed the heading formatting to properly use <h#> tags.

Looks good, and remarkably thorough.

Inevitability
2023-09-01, 01:58 AM

I'm sorry to butt in again, but you've incorrectly transcribed the info.

Serpentfolk are yuan-ti and anyone they grafted something to, nagas, and other snake-people.

Scalykind is 'reptilian humanoids plus'.

These are two distinct favored enemies, but the site currently only lists Favored Enemy (Serpentfolk) but then goes on to describe the effects of Favored Enemy (Scalykind). It's both incomplete and mislabeled.

noce
2023-09-01, 02:41 AM
I didn't read it all (it's BIG), but in the animal companion section, I didn't see Dire Eagle from Races of Stone.
It's a -4 animal companion (although in PHB2 a typo lists it as a -7 animal) which is better than Dire Hawk: large (it's the first flying mount for medium creatures), more attacks with more damage, higher hp, higher spot and flyby attack at the cost of lower fly speed.

Is it an oversight or you have a reason to prefer other animals?

Forrestfire
2023-09-01, 05:02 AM
I'm sorry to butt in again, but you've incorrectly transcribed the info.

Serpentfolk are yuan-ti and anyone they grafted something to, nagas, and other snake-people.

Scalykind is 'reptilian humanoids plus'.

These are two distinct favored enemies, but the site currently only lists Favored Enemy (Serpentfolk) but then goes on to describe the effects of Favored Enemy (Scalykind). It's both incomplete and mislabeled.

You are correct. How embarrassing :smalleek:

It's fixed now.

I didn't read it all (it's BIG), but in the animal companion section, I didn't see Dire Eagle from Races of Stone.
It's a -4 animal companion (although in PHB2 a typo lists it as a -7 animal) which is better than Dire Hawk: large (it's the first flying mount for medium creatures), more attacks with more damage, higher hp, higher spot and flyby attack at the cost of lower fly speed.

Is it an oversight or you have a reason to prefer other animals?

As a rule of thumb I went with treating the PHB2 updates as soft-errata; in the big table of animal companions I had a note that it's better (B-rated) if you can get it at lower level. However, even then, since rangers get it at 6th level (and an animal companion-focused ranger would be able to replace it the following level anyway) it's not particularly worthwhile.

Inevitability
2023-09-01, 06:32 AM
Also, it might be worth to note that half-elves qualify for all the human and elf dragonmarks, if you're going to have an entry for dragonmark heir or heir of siberys. The Mehndi Toner E6 build in my sig both showcases this and gives the rules quotation. Same with the dragonmarks themselves, I guess.

Prime32
2023-09-01, 07:04 AM
Some half-elves continue to arise through the union of humans and elves. These individuals, with both a human and an elf parent, can appear among any of the human or elf dragonmarked houses, and thus might have either a human or elf dragonmark of the appropriate bloodline.

This has been contradicted by later material, which also has the "sources dedicated to the topic take precedence" argument in its favour:

It is also known that the hybrid races cannot inherit the marks of their parents, so that a human cannot pass the Mark of Making to a half-elf child. [mentions Mark of Finding and Erandis d'Vol as unique exceptions]

I want to say there was a rule somewhere that even members of subraces are too distant from the family line to have dragonmarks, but I don't have a source for this.

EDIT: Incidentally, Dragonmarked seems to be the only 1st party source of alternate flaws (Excoriate, which makes you blacklisted by one dragonmarked house and distrusted by others). It's even implied that you can gain it mid-campaign as a third flaw, if you do something bad enough to incur excoriation (though by UA rules you should follow the precedent for character traits, and "If the game master includes this option, a character should gain a new trait no more frequently than once every five levels.").

Inevitability
2023-09-01, 07:08 AM
This has been contradicted by later material

One truly is never done learning D&D 3.5, huh? Forget what I said then.

Alea
2023-09-01, 09:46 AM
I want to say there was a rule somewhere that even members of subraces are too distant from the family line to have dragonmarks, but I don't have a source for this.

That’s from the Dragon #339 Sage Advice column. To be ignored with great prejudice; unlike the hybrid races only being eligible for their own dragon marks, subraces not being eligible for any makes absolutely no sense within Eberron’s narrative. Other than drow, Eberron just mixed all the elven subraces together on Aerenal and the various cultural off-shoots from there have the same mix.

Troacctid
2023-09-01, 12:06 PM
That’s from the Dragon #339 Sage Advice column. To be ignored with great prejudice; unlike the hybrid races only being eligible for their own dragon marks, subraces not being eligible for any makes absolutely no sense within Eberron’s narrative. Other than drow, Eberron just mixed all the elven subraces together on Aerenal and the various cultural off-shoots from there have the same mix.
No, it's from Player's Guide to Eberron, page 47.

Alea
2023-09-01, 12:56 PM
No, it's from Player's Guide to Eberron, page 47.

OK, not sure where I got the other—but it doesn’t matter, it’s still wrong.

Hish
2023-09-01, 09:03 PM
I'm reading thru, very impressive so far. Favored Power Attack was the perfect addition to an old build I had of Str-based TWF with four arms and two 2h weapons.

It looks like the link to the TWF Offhandbook in the TWF feats section is broken.

In the section for the feat Parry, the item sizes of weapons are wrong. According to PHB 113, light weapons are generally items 2 size categories smaller than their intended wielder, 1H are 1 size smaller, and 2H are the same size. It affects absolutely nothing about the feat or the handbook but it's still wrong and we can't have that. :smallsmile:

I got to the more-than-a-dip multiclassing section and it said "you're 80000 words into a ranger handbook" and I'm like, 'I thought this handbook was supposed to be 150,000 words long... holy crap, I'm only halfway thru!'. I can't call this a novel length handbook, because it's as long as 3 novels. I've been reading this for four days now, it's consuming every free hour I have, I can't get any work done, it's affecting my sleep....... this is why I love edition 3.5.

Forrestfire
2023-09-01, 09:16 PM
I'm reading thru, very impressive so far. Favored Power Attack was the perfect addition to an old build I had of Str-based TWF with four arms and two 2h weapons.

It looks like the link to the TWF Offhandbook in the TWF feats section is broken.

Gah, fixing that in the next update I push.

In the section for the feat Parry, the item sizes of weapons are wrong. According to PHB 113, light weapons are generally items 2 size categories smaller than their intended wielder, 1H are 1 size smaller, and 2H are the same size. It affects absolutely nothing about the feat or the handbook but it's still wrong and we can't have that. :smallsmile:

Not quite. That section is a translation of the 3.0 rules into the 3.5 rules; it's not worried about item size but weapon size, which was how 3.0 handled things. I'll make it more explicit about how, for the purposes of the feat, the effect is using those calculations for determining what can be parried.

I got to the more-than-a-dip multiclassing section and it said "you're 80000 words into a ranger handbook" and I'm like, 'I thought this handbook was supposed to be 150,000 words long... holy crap, I'm only halfway thru!'. I can't call this a novel length handbook, because it's as long as 3 novels. I've been reading this for four days now, it's consuming every free hour I have, I can't get any work done, it's affecting my sleep....... this is why I love edition 3.5.

Correction: it's about 350,000 words long (I'm so sorry).

Hish
2023-09-02, 12:03 PM
Not quite. That section is a translation of the 3.0 rules into the 3.5 rules; it's not worried about item size but weapon size, which was how 3.0 handled things. I'll make it more explicit about how, for the purposes of the feat, the effect is using those calculations for determining what can be parried.

You're right, the section is perfectly clear about that. In my defense I think I was drifting in & out of sleep when I read that section. I'm doing fine, my sleep hasn't been affected at all

Forrestfire
2023-09-02, 02:06 PM
You're right, the section is perfectly clear about that. In my defense I think I was drifting in & out of sleep when I read that section. I'm doing fine, my sleep hasn't been affected at all

No, no, I went and edited it to be more clear after your comment. Thank you for the feedback, it helped :smallsmile:

liquidformat
2023-09-02, 06:19 PM
under feat section you have back twice in the description for Large and In Charge
'lets you knock the target back back (via an opposed'

Larbek24
2023-09-03, 02:16 PM
Hey Forrestfire
I'm reading your handbook and first of all it is really comprehensive and informative.
I just wanted to say something about the pugilist ACF for fighter you mention in the section about dipping. In Dr313 p.8 in the first "readers talk back" answer is an explanation/errata of the 'shake it of' ability.

"The pugilist develops fast healing 1 that applies only to nonlethal damage. This ability also reduces the duration of all stunning effects by 1 round. The pugilist can take this ability multiple times; its effects stack."

Forrestfire
2023-09-03, 02:33 PM
Hey Forrestfire
I'm reading your handbook and first of all it is really comprehensive and informative.
I just wanted to say something about the pugilist ACF for fighter you mention in the section about dipping. In Dr313 p.8 in the first "readers talk back" answer is an explanation/errata of the 'shake it of' ability.

Oh damn! Nice find!

liquidformat
2023-09-04, 02:44 AM
Hum totally going to make an NPC troll famous for throwing its body parts at people. Just imagine the team is in the middle of talking and then gets sneak attacked by a foot to the face.

YellowJohn
2023-09-04, 06:22 AM
This is some excellent work, and is going to prompt some changes to my halfling crossbow archer build.

My only criticism is that the special materials section is missing Lenaer Wood (Dragon Annual 5) - my favorite material for crossbow making.
Cheap (10gp/lb), reduces weight by 25% and increases range increment by 10'. Obviously dragonbone is better for bows, but since you can't make dragonbone crossbows...

It might also be worth mentioning the Elven Double Bow (A&EG p.7) on the off chance you can talk your DM into letting you take 'Rapid Reload' for it. Totally not RAW, but some DM's let martials have nice things and that would be very nice

liquidformat
2023-09-06, 10:18 PM
psychic Rogue and Dragonfire Adept don't have the correct color corresponding to their rating

FauxKnee
2023-09-08, 07:48 AM
This is some good information! Thanks for taking the time to research and organize it in a nice way :smallsmile:

The bone bow from Frostburn might be worth a brief mention. It doesn't require paying for a specific composite rating--it just automatically applies your strength to damage as if it were composite. (If your strength score changes frequently from rage/shapeshifting/buffs this could be handy.) It has slightly better damage and range than a longbow and counts as such for weapon focus et al, so it's friendlier than expected (for an exotic weapon) to slide into an existing build.

liquidformat
2023-09-09, 01:12 AM
I am a bit confused why you put Dreadful Wrath, Hyena Tribe Hunter and other such feats into the companion feat area, the racial requirements of the feat would restrict any companion from using it wouldn't they?

Forrestfire
2023-09-09, 02:55 AM
I am a bit confused why you put Dreadful Wrath, Hyena Tribe Hunter and other such feats into the companion feat area, the racial requirements of the feat would restrict any companion from using it wouldn't they?

Those aren't racial requirements, but regional ones; I mentioned in the feats section proper those have some weird rules and the way the FR books laid them out is not visually clear. But basically, "human (the Shaar)" is a regional requirement, while "human" is a racial requirement. Some feats have both! The ones I listed in the companions section are ones with only regional requirements. It's honestly super weird, but the rules for FR regional feats are fairly consistent in presenting it this way. Still, regional and ancestor feats may not fly with your DM, so you'll want to bring it up (as mentioned in the note on the companion feats section).

https://i.gyazo.com/af4a1ab9d313e7bdb700154e135be2d2.png

liquidformat
2023-09-10, 10:12 PM
Interesting, I had always taken those as a human from x or an elf from y.

An important thing you have left out of your evaluation for 1st level animal companions are the Dire Badger and Wolverine which a gnome can take as first level animal companions through gnome substitution level. They are in general power houses at this level and even better yet with one hd they both can increase to large size so if you can get say the war beast template added to them you now have a first level animal companion that far out strips anything anyone else can bring to the table.

Prime32
2023-09-17, 07:47 AM
Saw brought up in another thread an obscure PrC which gives 10/10 ranger casting (only ranger), and can advance it even if you don't have enough ranger levels to cast spells: Knight of the High Forest (https://web.archive.org/web/20080130025801/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgpg/20061128a).

Also Knight of Furyondy (https://web.archive.org/web/20080130025756/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgpg/20061031a) and Knight of Veluna (https://web.archive.org/web/20080130025806/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/lgpg/20061226a) from the same series, the latter of which is 10/10 divine casting with full BAB.

Forrestfire
2023-09-17, 03:11 PM
Oh damn, that's neat, I didn't know about that column! I'll take a look, thanks!

liquidformat
2023-10-01, 11:24 PM
So the Lasso also shows up in RoF, interestingly it adds in that if you are mounted and have a saddle you can secure one end of the rope to the saddle then use your mount's size and strength mods instead of your own which is a really cool feature.

In one of my games I have the halfling town guards mounted on riding dogs and using lassos, more as a fun flavor element then anything but still cool.

liquidformat
2023-10-03, 11:36 PM
a couple arrows that might be worth adding:
Alchemists Arrow (1500gp/20) [A&E Pg. 5, DR349 Pg. 28]
These are basically normal arrows with x2 crit range, except they deal 1d4 fire damage the turn after unless the victim spends a full-round action and makes a DC 15 Reflex-save to extinguish the flames. Very convenient, though somewhat pricy. Extra damage is never a bad thing. The Dragon version is almost worthless, having two categories lower base damage than normal and only 3/4th range increment.
Alchemist's Frost Arrow (1500gp/20) [DR349 Pg. 28]
These arrow have two categories lower base damage (1d4 for Longbow) and 3/4th range increment to go with x2 critical rating. On hit, they deal 1d4 extra cold damage immediately, and the arrow shatters. Expensive, though it can be useful against creatures particularly vulnerable to cold.
Blunt Arrow (10gp/20) [A&E Pg. 5]
unlike the RotW version they don't reduce your weapon range.
Flight Arrows also appear in A&E Pg. 5 and RoF Pg. 154.
Dragonsbreath Arrows (50gp/20) [RoTW Pg. 165]
These arrows have reduced core damage, but deal 1 point of Fire-damage on impact and require a DC 15 Reflex-save or light the opponent ablaze. Certainly handy against Ice monsters, especially Giants and the like. Also good for lighting oil or the like ablaze. These are very useful when used properly, but since they deal reduced damage and have no benefits vs. creatures with fire immunity, I'd still use normal arrows as my normal weapon with these as a special treat for vulnerable opponents.
Sea Arrow (140gp/20) [RoF Pg. 154]
These arrows, fletched by aquatic elves, are treated as masterwork, but they don’t grant a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls. Instead, when fired from an aquatic longbow, they negate the -2 penalty per 5 feet for making a ranged attack underwater.
Zigzag Arrow, (3gp/20) [DR330 Pg. 92]
These arrows take -4 on attacks but deal double damage to objects with Hardness 0. The damage is unfortunately restricted to objects so no hope of double damaging creatures but they're rather convenient in some specific scenarios, like for severing ropes. Given how cheap they are, might as well. These deal Slashing or Piercing damage.

Sinner's Garden
2023-11-12, 10:55 PM
One cool option I didn't see mentioned was the Einherjar, from the Dieties and Demigods 3.5 update. A +0 template that can be applied freely to a Good humanoid with at least ten levels of ranger, paladin, fighter, or barbarian. I've never seen the latter two, but taking the former two to level ten is actually pretty reasonable on their own merits, and this is a very strong defensive bonus for characters who qualify.

remetagross
2023-11-13, 04:09 AM
Hey, nice find. By looking at what it does though, there's no way this should be a +0 template. Being an einherjar makes you a quasi-divinity with a divine rank of 0. Which means:

-Immunity to mind-affecting effects, transmutation effects, ability damage, ability drain, energy drain
-SR 32
-Fire resistance 5
-Base land speed +30ft
-DR 10/epic
-Immortality

To me, this it at least a +1, and I would still consider taking it if it were a +2.

Forrestfire
2023-11-13, 04:50 AM
Frankly, it's questionable if it's even an LA +0 template. It notably lacks a level adjustment; the 3.5 update booklet updates its effects but does not give it an LA, while on the very same page, a paragraph later, giving different creatures level adjustments for player use. It falls into the same area as unseelie fey, I'd think: arguably LA +0 if you really torture how you interpret the rules wrt "lacks an entry," but also arguably not LA +0. It is definitely an interesting find, though! I might add a mention of it alongside unseelie fey for the sake of completeness.

pabelfly
2023-11-13, 05:34 AM
Hey, nice find. By looking at what it does though, there's no way this should be a +0 template. Being an einherjar makes you a quasi-divinity with a divine rank of 0. Which means:

-Immunity to mind-affecting effects, transmutation effects, ability damage, ability drain, energy drain
-SR 32
-Fire resistance 5
-Base land speed +30ft
-DR 10/epic
-Immortality

To me, this it at least a +1, and I would still consider taking it if it were a +2.

You have to be good, with ten levels of one of Ranger, Paladin, Barbarian or Fighter. Whatever dips or multiclassing you do means you get the template that much later, and you're not going to get to touch a prestige class till 11th level at minimum. It's a great template, but is it worth single-classing one of Ranger, Paladin, Barbarian or Fighter and giving up fifth-level spellcasting? I'm really not sure.

Forrestfire
2023-11-13, 05:38 AM
In fairness, as I've expressed at length in this guide, single-class ranger up to 10 (or 11, though you don't need to go to 11 if you have that template since it already makes you immune to mind-affecting) is pretty solid, all told :smallwink:

pabelfly
2023-11-13, 05:51 AM
In fairness, as I've expressed at length in this guide, single-class ranger up to 10 (or 11, though you don't need to go to 11 if you have that template since it already makes you immune to mind-affecting) is pretty solid, all told :smallwink:

I'll try to word my question a bit differently to make my point:

- Ten levels in a single one of Paladin/Ranger/Fighter/Barbarian, can take Einherjar template
- Ten levels in any other legal combination of classes, including prestige class options and spellcasting, but you can't take Einherjar template

How many people are actually taking the first option?

remetagross
2023-11-13, 06:26 AM
I would in a heartbeat. The defensive abilities are just that strong. The +30ft to land speed is huge as well.

Prime32
2023-11-13, 08:20 AM
If you allow PCs to be Einherjar for free, would you also allow them to be Chosen of MystraFRCS for free? Or any other 3.0 template which never had an LA entry and hasn't been officially updated.

Sinner's Garden
2023-11-13, 08:42 AM
You know, you're right. On closer inspection, it doesn't actually list a level adjustment at all. While there's a technical argument that makes it a +0 template, it's not actually as clear-cut as I was led to believe. Though, on the other hand, given that at least one player was able to bring it to the table, maybe it's worth mentioning it regardless, just to highlight the ambiguity of the matter.

SirNibbles
2023-11-13, 09:58 AM
The einherjar are Odin’s warriors, chosen by the valkyries from those fallen in battle. They pass their time fighting during the day and feasting in Valhalla at night. When Ragnarok comes, they will march out of Valhalla and fight alongside the Aesir against the giants.

Deities and Demigods, page 199

This flavor text makes it seem like you have to have died in battle to be an Einherjar and now get to spend eternity in Valhalla as you await Ragnarok. I very much doubt this is intended for a PC.

_

If you allow PCs to be Einherjar for free, would you also allow them to be Chosen of MystraFRCS for free? Or any other 3.0 template which never had an LA entry and hasn't been officially updated.

All of the Seven are Chosen of Mystra, unaging immortals who hold some portion of the power of the Weave at Mystra's request. They serve as Mystra's agents in the world and aid all good folk against those who would harm or enslave them.

Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, page 281

Again, it seems like the template is more than just what you get, but what you have to do as well. I really doubt this was intended to be used by PCs unless they're in an epic FR campaign.

Troacctid
2023-11-13, 11:23 AM
Template LA conventions changed in the 3.5 update. In 3.0, templates default to unplayable if no LA is listed for them. This is illustrated well by the 3.0 SRD (https://www.dragon.ee/30srd/monsters_templates.htm), where you can see that none of the Monster Manual templates include a level adjustment entry.

Nihilarian
2023-11-14, 01:17 AM
Is it 10 levels in one of ranger, paladin, fighter or barbarian, or 10 levels of those classes in any combination? The latter wouldn't be difficult at all; most martial characters are an amalgamation of different classes and those 4 specifically are very popular components.

pabelfly
2023-11-14, 02:18 AM
Is it 10 levels in one of ranger, paladin, fighter or barbarian, or 10 levels of those classes in any combination? The latter wouldn't be difficult at all; most martial characters are an amalgamation of different classes and those 4 specifically are very popular components.

The 3.5 update material says:

Treat “einherjar” as an acquired template that can be applied to any
humanoid creature of good alignment that has at least 10 levels of
barbarian, fighter, ranger, or paladin (emphasis mine)

The use of the word "or", implies to me that it needs 10 levels in a single-class.

remetagross
2023-11-14, 04:25 AM
Hmm, interesting one. I think it can be interpreted both ways, though the '10 levels in a single class' one is slightly more evident to me.