PDA

View Full Version : Any feedback on the sorceror onednd spell?

Sindal
2023-08-30, 05:01 AM
Hi gang

Title is what it is.
Has anyone tested out the sorceror spells that came in onednd like sorcerous blast.

Any feedback on how they've been? Good? Bad? Serviceable?

Nagog
2023-08-30, 10:51 AM
They're okay as far as spells go, though attaching them to class features makes the better. Imo I'm not a huge fan of spell-dependent class features. The 2014 Sorcerer subclass features were meh because they had huge sorcery point requirements, now they have spell slot requirements, but with Font of Magic they're basically the same thing. So it's not what I'd call an improvement.

That's not even mentioning how it homogenizes Sorcerer builds. I'd prefer if accessing those subclass features were their own action separate from spellcasting so they'd feel distinct from one another and could synergize with different spell choices.

Emongnome777
2023-08-30, 04:03 PM
I have a sorcerer (dragon) that's 8th level now, soon to be 9th, in my campaign. He asked to switch to the UA sorcerer around 7th level, so he's used it for a little bit (just 1 session per month, so not a ton). Here's my thoughts on the spells they get:

Sorcerous Burst (Cantrip): Kinda weak, I think it's only been used twice, and no rerolls, so weak damage. The damage type changing is probably useful, but at this level, cantrips aren't used too much, so there's that.

Sorcerous Vitality (3rd level): I don't recall this being used. If you aren't benefitting from the end X conditions part, then it's kinda weak for a 3rd level spell, IMO.

Arcane Eruption (4th level): This one is pretty good, really. For 2d6 less damage than fireball, you get a variable damage type and the potential to land a solid condition on everyone who fails. The one time it was used, it killed most of the mooks, but left the mini-boss in the combat, who failed the save. They took advantage of the incapacitated condition quite nicely.

Sorcery Incarnate (5th level): No experience as he's not 9th level yet, but on the surface, it seems decent. I did read somewhere that someone said it's not really better than greater invisibility, which is a level lower. It's a fair comparison.

Kane0
2023-08-30, 06:41 PM
I wasnt super impressed by any of them, i think 'exploding dice' would have made a better sorcerer class feature than just specific spells