PDA

View Full Version : Feat-heavy melee build-critique please

Alex12
2007-12-08, 05:17 AM
I came up with an odd little 5-level build that gets you 7 feats you choose, among other things. If this has been done before, I apologize, for I am tired.
Human Soulknife1/Fighter2/Psywarrior2.
2 free feats for Human first-level character, Wild Talent and Mind Blade for Soulknife, 2 fighter feats, a third-level character feat, 2 fighter or psionic feats for Psywarrior.
7 feats, limited manifesting ability (3 PP minimum, 2 powers known), +6 Fort saves, +2 Reflex and Will saves, +3 BAB and 3d10+2d8 HD.
Not bad for 5th-level, I think.
Thoughts, suggestions, insults?

Talic
2007-12-08, 05:32 AM
I came up with an odd little 5-level build that gets you 7 feats you choose, among other things. If this has been done before, I apologize, for I am tired.
Human Soulknife1/Fighter2/Psywarrior2.
2 free feats for Human first-level character, Wild Talent and Mind Blade for Soulknife, 2 fighter feats, a third-level character feat, 2 fighter or psionic feats for Psywarrior.
7 feats, limited manifesting ability (3 PP minimum, 2 powers known), +6 Fort saves, +2 Reflex and Will saves, +3 BAB and 3d10+2d8 HD.
Not bad for 5th-level, I think.
Thoughts, suggestions, insults?

Not sure about Soulknife in this build. Frankly, I think you'd be better off calling it a 4 fighter, 2 Psywar build. Then you'll get 9 feats in 6 levels, a +5 BAB over the same, and more feat selection from the fighter tree.

1st level feat
3rd level feat
6th level feat
Racial Feat (Human)
Fighter (1)
Fighter (2)
Fighter (4)
PsyWar (1)
PsyWar (2)

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-12-08, 05:35 AM
Not sure about Soulknife in this build. Frankly, I think you'd be better off calling it a 4 fighter, 2 Psywar build. Then you'll get 9 feats in 6 levels, a +5 BAB over the same, and more feat selection from the fighter tree.

1st level feat
3rd level feat
6th level feat
Racial Feat (Human)
Fighter (1)
Fighter (2)
Fighter (4)
PsyWar (1)
PsyWar (2)

I agree...the above is probably a better build...if you want a 'weapon' that can't be taken away, wear a spiked gauntlet...does the same damage as a 1st level mindblade...or just take improved unarmed combat for the d4 or d6...whatever it is. Even if it is d4, the difference between that and a shortsword mindblade is pretty minimal and you won't be without your other weapon too often.

Also, a fun part about this build is that if you go fighter 4, then psywarrior 2, you get 1 feat every level at least with 2 extra at 1 and 1 extra at 6...never without a feat to add. Which is a good thing.

Alex12
2007-12-08, 05:46 AM

1st level feat
3rd level feat
6th level feat
Racial Feat (Human)
Fighter (1)
Fighter (2)
Fighter (4)
PsyWar (1)
PsyWar (2)

*Stare*:smalleek:
*scurries for XPH*
*reads*:smallconfused:
*facepalm*
I feel stupid. Like, really stupid. Somehow I thought that you needed to have the psionic subtype (either racially or through Wild Talent) before taking psionic classes.:smallredface: :smallredface:
Yeah, yours is better.

EDIT:I agree, Fuzzy. Feats are good. Maybe not as good as spells, but good all the same.

Draz74
2007-12-08, 01:53 PM
*Stare*:smalleek:
*scurries for XPH*
*reads*:smallconfused:
*facepalm*
I feel stupid. Like, really stupid. Somehow I thought that you needed to have the psionic subtype (either racially or through Wild Talent) before taking psionic classes.:smallredface:

Yeah ... the XPH rules hint at this all the time, but never come out and actually say it. So I think it's a common confusion.

In fact, I still wonder whether this was intended to be a rule, and just accidentally got left out.

Person_Man
2007-12-08, 10:31 PM
You might also consider variant Monk (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedCoreClass.html#monk) or variant Barbarian (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedCoreClass.html#barbarian).

Also note that a Cleric can get 2 bonus feats at first level by picking the right domains.

It's pretty easy to get a bonus feat every single level, if that's what you want.

Ganurath
2007-12-08, 11:06 PM
You might also consider variant Monk (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedCoreClass.html#monk) or variant Barbarian (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedCoreClass.html#barbarian).

Also note that a Cleric can get 2 bonus feats at first level by picking the right domains.

It's pretty easy to get a bonus feat every single level, if that's what you want.Cleric of Hextor can get 3 through War and Domination, but that's just going for excess.

Any interesting concept... but I can't help but wonder what you plan to DO with all those feats.

Alex12
2007-12-09, 12:22 PM
Any interesting concept... but I can't help but wonder what you plan to DO with all those feats.

using the 9-feats-in-6-levels build,

human feat: Wild Talent
First-level-character feat: Speed of Thought
First-level fighter feat: Power Attack
Second-level fighter feat: Cleave
Third-character-level feat: Dodge
Fourth-level fighter feat: Great Cleave
First-level Psywarrior feat: Psionic Dodge
Second-level Psywarrior feat: Psicrystal Affinity (personality Nimble)
Sixth-level-character feat:Improved Initiative

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-12-09, 01:13 PM

Why wild talent? You are gonna go psionic anyways...why not start as a psionic warrior, then you could do.

human feat: Power attack
First-level fighter feat: Cleave
Second-level fighter feat: Dodge
Third-character-level feat: Improved Init
Sixth-level-character feat:??

you could even go 2 levels of psy warrior first to get more powers at low level (more important than a level of fighter likely) and the psy crystal affinity...then you would just just shuffle the other feats around to get great cleave at lvl 4 and the rest moving around.

Wild talent does give you some extra power points though...is that the real reason you want it? If so, then it's all good...just curious though.

Alex12
2007-12-09, 01:24 PM
Wild talent does give you some extra power points though...is that the real reason you want it? If so, then it's all good...just curious though.

Mostly, yeah, since a first-level Psywarrior doesn't actually get any PP. Also, your build doesn't work because Dodge is a prerequisite for Psionic Dodge.

Person_Man
2007-12-10, 12:05 AM

That's a horrible build. With the exception of Power Attack, you've chosen nothing but weak feats. What is it that you want to do, anyway?

shaggz076
2007-12-10, 12:11 PM
Unarmed strike only deals D3 subdual damage.
Unless you thro in a level of Monk. lol

Nostri
2007-12-10, 12:19 PM
Which is why they were saying to take Improved Unarmed Combat. It's a feat out of Book of Nine Swords that improves a character's damage with an unarmed strike the damage goes up as you level IIRC. That way you don't need to be a monk to do halfway decent damage as a brawler.

TK-Squared
2007-12-10, 12:22 PM
Which is why they were saying to take Improved Unarmed Combat. It's a feat out of Book of Nine Swords that improves a character's damage with an unarmed strike the damage goes up as you level IIRC. That way you don't need to be a monk to do halfway decent damage as a brawler.

You're thinking of Superior Unarmed Strike.

Nostri
2007-12-11, 10:49 PM
Hmmm, what is Improved Unarmed Combat then? The joys of finals week seem to have frazzled my brain...

tyckspoon
2007-12-11, 11:31 PM
Hmmm, what is Improved Unarmed Combat then? The joys of finals week seem to have frazzled my brain...

Well, if you're not thinking of Improved Unarmed Strike (do lethal damage, count as armed when making an unarmed strike), I vaguely recall a d20 Modern line of feats with a similar name. I think the first one did roughly the same thing as IUS, and then the rest of the line added extra d4s of damage.

DLoFunk
2007-12-13, 09:37 AM
Well, as for maxing the # of feats, don't overlook the flaws in Unearthed Arcana. I just built this guy:
Human Fighter 1 - 3 feats
Fighter 2 - 1 more
Human Paragon 1 - Char lvl 3 - 1 more
Human Paragon 2 - 1 - more
Fighter 4 - 1 more
Human Paragon 3 - Char lvl 6 - 1 more
2 Flaws - 2 more

Here we have Fighter 5 Char lvl 6 w/ 10 feats and a 21 ability score (I went for Dex)

Oh, and 5 of those feats went to Knife fighting! +10 to hit/+10 AC, Yay!