PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A can rary's interplanar telepathic bond be made permanent?

the_tick_rules
2023-09-02, 11:16 PM
It's a variant of the spell from the planar handbook. it says it functions the same as normal version except it works across planes but it doesn't specifically say it can be made permanent as well.

ciopo
2023-09-03, 04:05 AM
I would say yes, if how it's written is "as X, except Y", then I would interpret it to be permanency-allowed unless it esplictly calls out "unlike X, this can't be made permanent". There is precedence of that, but I don't remember with what, greater arcane sight maybe?

Chronos
2023-09-03, 07:07 AM
Any spell not on that specific list is up to the DM whether to allow it for Permanency or not. But it's probably reasonable.

The Permanency spell doesn't explicitly say so, but the XP cost for making a spell permanent scales with level, so find something on the list with the same level as Extraplanar Telepathic Bond.

Jack_Simth
2023-09-03, 05:58 PM
Any spell not on that specific list is up to the DM whether to allow it for Permanency or not. But it's probably reasonable.

The Permanency spell doesn't explicitly say so, but the XP cost for making a spell permanent scales with level, so find something on the list with the same level as Extraplanar Telepathic Bond.

The spell doesn't list it, but it's a very clear formula for the PHB entries.

XP cost: Spell level * 500 xp.
Minimum Caster level: 8+Spell level.

Note: If it's a 0 level spell, use "1" for all calculations regarding spell level in the above.

Troacctid
2023-09-03, 11:29 PM
Just because a spell can be made permanent doesn't imply that stronger or weaker versions of it can also be made permanent. Arcane sight can be made permanent, but greater arcane sight can't. Solid fog can be permanent, but not acid fog. If the newly printed spell were intended to be a valid option for permanency, the writers of the spell were perfectly capable of making it one, and they chose not to.

Paragon
2023-09-04, 02:51 AM
Just because a spell can be made permanent doesn't imply that stronger or weaker versions of it can also be made permanent. Arcane sight can be made permanent, but greater arcane sight can't. Solid fog can be permanent, but not acid fog. If the newly printed spell were intended to be a valid option for permanency, the writers of the spell were perfectly capable of making it one, and they chose not to.

I still think the argument above has some grounds.
If a stronger version says "as weaker version except the above" (the above being duration, range, number of targets, ...) then, by RAW, the permananciability is included

InvisibleBison
2023-09-04, 09:16 PM
I don't think there's any safe basis for extrapolating from the text about whether or not spells based off a spell that can be made permanent can also be made permanent. There are examples of the text going both ways - that is, spells that can be made permanent based off of spells that can be made permanent sometimes explicitly say so (eg, greater magic fang) and sometimes don't (eg, symbol of weakness). Moreover, there are also spells that can be made permanent that are based off of spells that can't be made permanent (eg, fog cloud), and spells that can't be made permanent based off of spells that can be made permanent but don't explicitly call out said inability (eg, greater invisibility). In short, there are no general rules and nothing can be assumed about how non-PHB spells function.

Reprimand
2023-09-04, 10:38 PM
It's a variant of the spell from the planar handbook. it says it functions the same as normal version except it works across planes but it doesn't specifically say it can be made permanent as well.

As much as I hate being reasonable - Ask your DM. We random forum goers can provide all the sound arguements we want about this that and the other thing. BUT if your DM isn't down with the concept or ruling at the end of the day what we say can't overturn their decision. Just ask them.

Jack_Simth
2023-09-05, 08:32 PM
As much as I hate being reasonable - Ask your DM. We random forum goers can provide all the sound arguements we want about this that and the other thing. BUT if your DM isn't down with the concept or ruling at the end of the day what we say can't overturn their decision. Just ask them.

On the plus side, it actually solves a problem at a gaming table: If the characters can talk to each other regardless, then it's not a problem that players are sharing information. So with a Permanent Interplanar Telepathic Bond, it becomes in character for Adam to know Betty is in trouble when she's scouting ahead, but is keeping quiet about it.