PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for level 1 PCs for a One-shot

Reprimand
2023-09-04, 03:28 PM
Hello I'm going to be running a one shot for D&D 3.5 in the next few weeks. I was wondering if I might be able to get some help drafting up some relatively balanced first level characters. Nothing special just trying to avoid doing Krusk the Barbarian and Gimble Bard like I'm sure every other organized play event might have at some point. I'm currently working around a 25 point buy nothing crazy high or low - roughly inline with the elite array. Would love some suggestions for simple loadouts and feats for people who have never played to help educate them on the mechanics of the game. Another thing is I'm trying not to use nessicarily the best weapons or armor for each type. So I'd prefer to avoid all the marshals running around with Greatsword and fullplate. Also because something like fullplate is generally outside the expenses of a new first level character.

I am trying to stick only to core classes and races for the time being. I am willing to go outside this for some feats. For example I gave the dwarven cleric sacred boost from complete divine for an "Oh ****" button if someone goes down. But I am generally trying to avoid the general auto take super powerful feats to keep things somewhat balanced. No precocious Apprentice Etc and so on. They'll have plenty of time for researching builds once they try the game a few times haha.

Each character I want to help teach players something - The bard is a halfling and has a strength score of 8 so hes not winning any duels but with a dex of 16, size mod studded leather hes got a 17 ac at level 1 which is pretty shnazzy w/ a few alchemical vials and a light crossbow. I've equipped the Cleric with a longspear and also a morningstar and heavy shield. Only a dex of 10 with hide armor so easily hit but has 11hp so hopefully they'll realize the benefit of reach weapons there.

I appreciate in advance any and all help I am able to get with this project.

Inevitability
2023-09-04, 03:47 PM
Healing Devotion is really nice at first level. A cleric with 14 charisma is getting six 10-HP out-of-combat heals a day, which mitigates the swinginess of level 1, and it automatically kicks in if the cleric goes down and thus prevents the annoying situation where the one guy with healing spells is out cold.

Ape Totem Barbarian is slightly out of the 'core only' zone (it's UA) but a climb speed is a pretty fun mobility tool to have at low levels.

Precocious Apprentice allows for some very unique caster builds in addition to slightly shoring up their limited spells/day. Being able to pull out a Web or Summon Swarm 1/day feels pretty cool.

Definitely consider a ranger with the 3/day Speak with Animals/Plants ACF: it's a very flavorful trick to have and helps make the class feel a bit more 'nature-y' at level 1.

Jay R
2023-09-04, 05:40 PM
Design the PCs after the scenario. There's no point giving new players Feats or other abilities that you know won't be useful the one time that character gets played.

Doctor Despair
2023-09-05, 10:59 AM
Brongo

Human Barbarian 1
HP: 11

ACFs:
1. Boar Totem
2. Berserker Strength

General Feats:
1. Aberrant Dragonmark (Featherfall)
2. Dragonmark Rage

Bonus Feats:
1. Diehard (when raging)

Stats:
Str - 17
Dex - 16
Con - 8
Int - 8
Wis - 8
Cha - 10

Skills:
Climb 4
Intimidate 4
Listen 4
Ride 4

Gear: wbl is 4d4x10 (40-160, average 100)
Greataxe (20gp)
Scalemail (50gp)
Torch, rations, other mundane cheap gear as needed.
Add a light horse if you're doing max wbl (75gp)