PDA

View Full Version : How to change creature types

Ulfsköll
2023-09-05, 12:20 PM
I'm playing in a very morally ambiguous 3.5 campaign as a little fey guy from Frostburn called a Domovoi. Through the events of the campaign, it's been revealed that the main enemy faction that we're up against has been collecting and "juicing" all sorts of fey creatures for their innate magical essence in order to power their spellcasters. I recently have acquired a fully intact and operational juicing machine and I want to give these ****ers a taste of their own medicine. My plan is to start knocking out and collecting any and all members of this faction we come across instead of outright killing them so that I can somehow change their creature types to fey and run them through the machine. I'm having difficulties trying to find out how to do this though as polymorph says it has to be cast on a willing creature and I can't find any other spells capable of granting specifically the fey subtype. If anyone has any ideas or knows of a surefire way to do this, I'd appreciate the help and advice

Paragon
2023-09-05, 12:47 PM
Add a dominate, charm person or even Diplomacy/Intimidate check high enough that they'd be your friend and accept the polymorph ?
You'd have to lie ofc but I doubt that's a problem for someone putting other people through a grinder of sorts

Ulfsköll
2023-09-05, 02:04 PM
Add a dominate, charm person or even Diplomacy/Intimidate check high enough that they'd be your friend and accept the polymorph ?
You'd have to lie ofc but I doubt that's a problem for someone putting other people through a grinder of sorts

I didn't even think about using different spells in conjunction with one another I was just laser focused in finding a one and done spell or ability. I was contemplating going the diplomacy or intimidation route though because it's in line with my character. This campaign is our DM's gift to us in that he let the leash off so to speak and allowed Us free reign to min max to our hearts content and create a character that is busted purely for the sake of being busted. Instead of going with the overpowered damage dealer or damaged taker build, I decided that I wanted to break charisma and so I consistently get 50s and 60s in all charisma related skill checks as well as a bunch of other sort of things charisma related but I mainly use that to mess with people and pull pranks and just generally be a nuisance but be able to get away with it because I'm so charming. so I don't think it would be terribly difficult for me to try to convince someone to accept a spell so long as they're not aware of my intentions

Metastachydium
2023-09-05, 02:25 PM
There's also a somewhat wild thing one can do if Sandstorm (and a Fey-infested desert) is available and in play. Fey Oases. Spend a night, become a Mirage Mullah, a creature of the Fey type that cannot even run away because of Oasis Dependent.

Inevitability
2023-09-05, 02:58 PM
The Half-Fey template class from the WotC online articles has the following to say:

"Half-fey" is usually an inherited template, but it could be acquired through other means as well. Certain mortals who are obsessed with the fey study fey magic and dwell in sylvan places in hopes of gaining power, and a few actually do manage to acquire the half-fey template. Such beings can advance in the half-fey template class, just as natural-born half-fey can if they wish to develop their powers more slowly.

It's still very DM-dependent, but forms a plausible enough starting point. Half-Fey can be applied to nearly any mortal creature (making it somewhat more versatile than the mirage mullah solution), though you'll have to account for the enchantment immunity and innate SLAs after the template has been applied.