PDA

View Full Version : Character development / build advice for the tormented warforged envoy entertainer

CommAndersson
2023-09-06, 02:40 PM
Hello all of you :)

First of all, thank you for reading, hope I can contribute to your experience here along the way. First post.

Real life intro:
I've been working on this character idea for some time now. Have been playing 5e mostly for about 10 years on and off. The current DM I've been gaming with a couple of years is open to some homebrew ideas/flavor to fit characters in general. I would like some build help/different ideas, and also if someone would like to discuss the flavor/roleplaying ideas for the character. I am not looking for a powerbuild, but something enjoyable that doesn't fall through, so roleplaying and opportunities over optimization. Any ideas for developing this is very welcome. Will probably be playing levels 1-10, so personally I don't need ideas above level 12, but hey, anything is welcome :)

Background story:
The character is a warforged envoy, infused with a shadar-kai soul. Was used as an entertainer and personal guard to a now deceased robber baron. The baron thought that by infusing with that soul, that he could keep me in servitude, by promising a 'true' soul and my freedom.
Along the way, he taught me to wield roped daggers (Shang-chi Xu Xialing style), modified to be slightly magical by whistling/'singing' (perhaps along the way as the character develops). So both as a form of instrument, but also preferred weapon or tool. As it goes often with robber barons, they don't tend to outlast warforged in life expectancy, and here I am, all alone in the world after the organization tried to end my life when I failed to protect my master. So, divided by the warforged urge to serve, and the tormented hedonistic soul of the shadar-kai, I am looking for my own purpose. A bit afraid that the shadows literally will consume me some day, I'm looking for some form of salvation (secret wish). I have continued making my way as an entertainer in a travelling circus of some sort.

Here's where I'm at currently:
Race: Warforged (envoy), infused with a shadar-kai soul (flavor, no attributes). The 'Specialized design' and 'integrated tool' will be leaned towards the roped singing daggers. Idea is to flavor the integrated tool and warlock subclass abilities together (flavor). This and homebrewing Warlock bladepact to allow this as dual wielding, not two-handed
Class: Starting Bard (swords) for the performance. Multiclass with hexblade Warlock . Progression: B1, W1, W2, B2, B3, (B4), Warlock rest or the other way round, so either ending with 3/7 or 4/6 at level 10, either way round.
Stats: 8/14/16/8/12/16 (warforged Dex/con/cha +1) (updated, thanks Bobthewizard)
Feats/ASI: Will be looking to get cha to 18 with actor feat and then probably some feat that goes well along the way.
Roleplaying: With good cha can face a group to some extent, can be stand-in thief for lockpicking, will always try to put on a good show, including the use of cantrips and so on :)

Build development ideas:
- would REALLY love to include sorcerer metamagic (for silent spells when performing for 'sneak' attack like actions while dancing. Feat or tripleclass (bard3, warlock3, sorcerer4)?
- A totally different path (class) Bladedancer sounds to good, but is it viable?
- Roleplaying ideas for developing the character?

If there is anything you would like me to elaborate on, please ask :?
Hoping for this to become even better together with you :D

Regards
CommAndersson

Bobthewizard
2023-09-06, 02:50 PM
Hexblade/Swords Bard works well together. I like WIS/CHA better than DEX/CHA saves so I'd start Warlock. Plus you'll have a better level 1 with medium armor, shield, and CHA attacks.

Then Swords Bard to 6 for extra attack, then Warlock to 3, and then probably all bard after that, if you're still playing.

You'll only need a 14 dex with medium armor, so I'd switch DEX and CON to get more HP and better concentration saves.

Bladesinger is definitely viable. It's a great subclass. I like it better than straight swords bard, but hexblade fills a lot of holes for a bard.

CommAndersson
2023-09-06, 03:02 PM
Hexblade/Swords Bard works well together. I like WIS/CHA better than DEX/CHA saves so I'd start Warlock. Plus you'll have a better level 1 with medium armor, shield, and CHA attacks.

Then Swords Bard to 6 for extra attack, then Warlock to 3, and then probably all bard after that, if you're still playing.

You'll only need a 14 dex with medium armor, so I'd switch DEX and CON to get more HP and better concentration saves.

Bladesinger is definitely viable. It's a great subclass. I like it better than straight swords bard, but hexblade fills a lot of holes for a bard.

Thank you very much, the starting class is a good idea, nice to know both could work well :)

Regarding Bard 6, do you think it would be to expensive going Warlock 5 for thirsting blade instead, if I want to go towards Warlock as main class? I haven't played 5e warlock or bard yet, so either could go along.

Medium armor = dex 14, got it :)