PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Character Concept Question

NecessaryWeevil
2023-09-06, 04:35 PM
Hi, I have a lore/mechanics question for my backstory.
I need a character for an upcoming Ravenloft campaign and I am thinking about a Warforged who became a florist's assistant and bodyguard. Absorbing from his employer the idea that one should make the world more beautiful with flowers, he somehow became a Dreams Druid after an encounter with some Fey. Question: Does it make sense to somehow end up in Ravenloft from the Feywild? Could a vindictive Fey somehow send him there? Thanks!

Unoriginal
2023-09-06, 04:47 PM
I need a character for an upcoming Ravenloft campaign and I am thinking about a Warforged who became a florist's assistant and bodyguard. Absorbing from his employer the idea that one should make the world more beautiful with flowers, he somehow became a Dreams Druid after an encounter with some Fey. Question: Does it make sense to somehow end up in Ravenloft from the Feywild? Could a vindictive Fey somehow send him there? Thanks!

You can get up in Ravenloft from anywhere.

I would say a vindicative Fey could manipulate event in such a way that the PC ends up there (ex: have the PC ends near where an existing entrance is, when get something scary to make the PC flee through said entrance), but a Fey just sending people there using their own power, while not impossible, would likely have very bad consequences for the Fey.

KorvinStarmast
2023-09-07, 08:33 AM
You can get up in Ravenloft from anywhere.

I would say a vindicative Fey could manipulate event in such a way that the PC ends up there (ex: have the PC ends near where an existing entrance is, when get something scary to make the PC flee through said entrance), but a Fey just sending people there using their own power, while not impossible, would likely have very bad consequences for the Fey.
Yes.
Fey are tricksy, Precious!

Deceiving the warforged into going through the portal would fit a fey sense of humor nicely.

Concept is novel: warforged don't need to sleep, right?

... You don't need to sleep and don't suffer the effects of exhaustion due to lack of rest
I thus ask: how does a warforged become a Dreams Druid?
Perhaps certain kinds of flowers have pollen and induce hallucinations?
Likes to eat mushrooms?

NecessaryWeevil
2023-09-07, 11:25 AM
Yes.
Fey are tricksy, Precious!

Deceiving the warforged into going through the portal would fit a fey sense of humor nicely.

Concept is novel: warforged don't need to sleep, right?

I thus ask: how does a warforged become a Dreams Druid?
Perhaps certain kinds of flowers have pollen and induce hallucinations?
Likes to eat mushrooms?

The smile in that sharp-featured face was somehow both kind and cruel at the same time.
"You say you wish to grow flowers? We can teach you to grow the best flowers in all the lands.
Your body is mostly wood, isn't it?
This will be...fun."

(Especially at lower levels, Dreams seems to be more about a Fey flavour than, well, dreams.)

NecessaryWeevil
2023-09-07, 11:28 AM
Two more questions:

1) How important are one or more tanks in Curse of Strahd? So far we have a Druid, a Ranger and a Rogue. Depending on what the fourth player chooses I worry we'll fall over in a stiff breeze.

2) Any tips on roleplaying a mostly wide-eyed idealist that doesn't a) grate on the other players or b) go catatonic as soon as they enter Barovia?

KorvinStarmast
2023-09-07, 03:06 PM
1) How important are one or more tanks in Curse of Strahd?
IME, you need one. Plenty of combats with lots of foes, which means that a bit of tanking and control is needed.
YMMV.

Any tips on roleplaying a mostly wide-eyed idealist that doesn't
a) grate on the other players or
b) go catatonic as soon as they enter Barovia?

As to a: I can't help you. You have to figure out how to blend in with your group. If that means dropping a conceit, sometimes that's helpful for group fun and group cohesion.

As to b: Wide eyed idealists can be fine in a light-hearted campaign, but IME they are a pain in the butt in something less light-hearted.
Forget it, Jake, it's Barovia
Barovia is not a light hearted campaign.
(Lord knows, our current CoS group is trying to be light-hearted but it's still pretty grim.

Tawmis
2023-09-07, 03:30 PM

Yeah! Certainly nothing too wild. If you need a backstory written up, see my signature. ;)

Two more questions:
1) How important are one or more tanks in Curse of Strahd? So far we have a Druid, a Ranger and a Rogue. Depending on what the fourth player chooses I worry we'll fall over in a stiff breeze.
2) Any tips on roleplaying a mostly wide-eyed idealist that doesn't a) grate on the other players or b) go catatonic as soon as they enter Barovia?

For Question 1, depends on your DM, naturally. They can go hard or they can go more for the story/character development. It really depends on how your DM runs it.

I think the big thing, going with your above theme, would be wanting to find "the corruption" and remove it so that the plants can grow in the light.

Unoriginal
2023-09-07, 04:10 PM
Two more questions:

Curse of Strahd can be a meatgrinder, but it's not a tank that's going to change that.

I think you'll likely be fine so long as you know when to run/avoid danger and when to heal.

Well, on the topic of dreams:

https://youtu.be/aGtiinR6ni8

Druids have high WIS, in general. You know the world is ****ed up, and Barovia most of all. You know and can identify the horror and the darkness. But you still believe you can help make it better, and you're not going to let the darkness overwhelm you.

A dream can help the most hopeless person go through the darkest night.