PDA

View Full Version : Playtest 7 Video on YouTube

Boverk
2023-09-07, 11:13 AM
the PDF will be available later today, but here's a link to the YouTube Video (https://youtu.be/CQxFfFGtdxw?si=Hf9vRJkIlhgEzcs4)

Psyren
2023-09-07, 11:20 AM
Ugh I hate when they premiere live. Just upload the whole thing after it's done so I can listen at 2x speed :smallannoyed:

So far they've mentioned/are discussing Barbarian's 4 subclasses:

- Berserker
- Wildheart (BG3 fans recognize this as the replacement for Totem Warrior)
- Zealot
- World Tree (new!)

Dienekes
2023-09-07, 11:29 AM
Guess we'll find out when the UA becomes available. But, making Brutal Critical go back to dice, I don't have a problem with, so long as it's not the only thing the class gets at those levels. It's... not a good ability.

And the reason for not wanting to give Barbarians increased Crit Range is also not great. The math on Brutal Critical has been done to death. It's not a good feature, even with Reckless.

Can't get to the rest for now, but, the little bit about making Weapon Masteries better for Fighters sound fine. But, so far I'm not impressed with the design of them in the first place. So, not really holding my breath here.

Oramac
2023-09-07, 11:40 AM
Guess we'll find out when the UA becomes available.

Yea. WOTC really needs to publish their math and design goals. The community has regularly and consistently come to conclusions backed by math that just flat don't agree with what WOTC says.

Psyren
2023-09-07, 11:48 AM
Fighter:

Champion
Battlemaster
Brawler (new!) - focus here is improvised weapons and unarmed
Eldritch Knight - and now they're getting the Bladesinger's Super Extra Attack (i.e. replace attacks with cantrips, and later with leveled spells.)

KorvinStarmast
2023-09-07, 12:19 PM
So far they've mentioned/are discussing Barbarian's 4 subclasses:

- Berserker
- Wildheart (BG3 fans recognize this as the replacement for Totem Warrior)
- Zealot
- World Tree (new!)
Wait, what is wrong with Totem Warrior? :smallfurious: Berserker is what needs a bit of love ...

Psyren
2023-09-07, 12:23 PM
Wait, what is wrong with Totem Warrior? :smallfurious: Berserker is what needs a bit of love ...

Nothing, they are for the most part mechanically identical. I'm guessing the change is due to the fact that you aren't actually using totems, you're channeling wild animals. They did say new animals are being added like Elephant.

I forget what they said about Berserker but I think the Playtest 5 version was well received. I'll do a longer summary once the livestream is complete.

Oramac
2023-09-07, 12:24 PM
Wait, what is wrong with Totem Warrior?

Apparently Bear Totem is "overpowered", so they're nerfing it into the ground.

The name thing is just to maintain consistency with Baldur's Gate 3. Kinda odd. I can't say more without violating a bunch of forum rules.

Psyren
2023-09-07, 12:30 PM
PDF IS UP (https://media.dndbeyond.com/compendium-images/ua/ph-playtest7/tsgOb3llF22AL0nU/UA2023-PH-Playtest7.pdf)

I'll summarize the video later if someone doesn't beat me to it

Boverk
2023-09-07, 12:40 PM
They seem to have gotten rid of the new Sorcerer Spells and Wizard will not be able to create spells anymore

edit: sorry, I misspoke a little, they've gotten rid of the new spells being central to the Sorcerer Subclass, i.e. Draconic Sorcerer no longer makes Sorc. Burst an aoe

KorvinStarmast
2023-09-07, 12:45 PM
Apparently Bear Totem is "overpowered", so they're nerfing it into the ground. Facepalm occurs.

The name thing is just to maintain consistency with Baldur's Gate 3. Kinda odd. I can't say more without violating a bunch of forum rules. Likewise. Between the {censored} beast celestial, and this ... wait, is My Little Pony a Hasbro brand? :smallconfused:

Dienekes
2023-09-07, 12:47 PM
Every rank of Brutal Critical takes up a full level of features again. Criminy. Well, except 17 is also +1 rage per day.

Fighter, I like Tactical Mind and Tactical Shift. Though Tactical Mind feels like an odd name for the ability.

And for some reason they pushed back actually interacting with Weapon Masteries to level 9.

Battle Master looks nice. Know Your Enemy has an in combat use... once per long rest. I can't help but think about Star Wars Saga Edition, which the Soldiers could basically do this as a Bonus Action with a skill check.

Boverk
2023-09-07, 01:01 PM
Eldritch Blast reverted to its 2014 version, so it is now back to scaling by player level.

Now you get an invocation at level 1, so if you want the full eldritch blast +Charisma experience, you only need a 1 level dip.

Eldritch Knight requires a wizard cantrip as part of the attack action, so no possible shenanigans there.

gloryblaze
2023-09-07, 04:56 PM
One thing that's kind of funny is that Crawford seems to be describing an earlier version of the Wild Magic sorcerer in this video. He describes a version of Wild Magic Surge where once per long rest, you can straight-up choose to roll on the Surge table after you cast a leveled spell. He also describes Bend Luck as using a d6.

In the actual PDF, Wild Magic Surge is not limited to once per long rest, but you can't choose to activate it—you instead choose to roll a d20, and you have to roll a natural 20 to S urge. Then Bend Luck still uses a d4, not a d6, but its SP cost was reduced from 2 to 1.

One Tin Soldier
2023-09-08, 09:47 AM
The name thing is just to maintain consistency with Baldur's Gate 3. Kinda odd. I can't say more without violating a bunch of forum rules.

That’s not what he said, though. He said that he worked with Larian on renaming it in the game because they were already planning to rename it for the new PHB.

LudicSavant
2023-09-08, 10:11 AM
Facepalm occurs.

I had the same reaction when I heard that in the video. :smalleek: