PDA

View Full Version : I can’t find this time loop rpg that supposedly exist

Myth27
2023-09-07, 01:25 PM
I’ve spoken with a man who described to me a time loop rpg set in the xvii century rural france about an invasione of were-rabbit (i think ?) it was supposed to be a wordplay in French, but my google-fu is failing me badly and I can’t find it anywhere? Have I been pranked?

Incidentally, why you are here, have you ever played a time loop rpg ? Wich one ? How was it?

Cactus
2023-09-08, 12:41 PM
Was this man from the future? Maybe it hasn't been published yet. Perhaps the game is in a time loop and he told you about it in his past so that it would be written.

Seriously though, one of my friends would go bananas for that concept so I hope you find it.

Anymage
2023-09-08, 12:59 PM
The were-rabbit makes me immediately think of Donnie Darko. I wouldn't be surprised if someone took the movie for inspiration, but I would be surprised if it amounted to more than a single campaign or at most some indie project that got lost in the pile of people's throwaway indie ideas.

The best time travel RPG is Continuum. Although be aware that it's one of those games that's more fun to read than it is to play. Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff is complicated enough when it's a single author piece that can be edited to make sure all the causal loops line up. Good luck getting that done on the fly while gaming with friends.

Toofey
2023-09-30, 12:17 PM
it will have existed once you go back and create it.

SimonMoon6
2023-09-30, 01:21 PM
The closest I've ever come to playing in a time loop rpg was when a PC went to the future to find his dead body (knowing that he would eventually die), looted his dead body, went back to his normal time, and then later died with those same items in his possession.

Vahnavoi
2023-09-30, 03:40 PM
I do not remember name of the specific game. Ot sounds familiar but I've not played it.

I've played many games with time travel, mostly freeform. Thing is, though, I try to avoid loops. If there is time travel, I tend to either explicitly or implicitly run by rules of iterative or multiversal iterative time.

In iterative time travel, if the travellers go from X to X-100, events proceed normally from X-100 and the events between it and X are erased; "new cycle" is carried out with information from "old cycle" but the old cycle is left entirely in the past of the travellers. In iterative multiversal time travel, the "new cycle" from X-100 becomes a divergent worldline, Y. The "old cycle" keeps trucking on without the travellers. Jumping between wordlines is allowed, as long as causality is preserved. This is hard to explain without pictures, because the old and new worldlines don't have to be synchronous. What this means is that, for example, another band of time travellers from X+101 can arrive at Y+1, meaning a hundred years passed in the old timeline for one year in the new timeline, but now the first band of travellers cannot go from Y+1 to any point in X to X+101 to alter the events that lead to the second band arriving. Both bands could return to X+102 without issue, though.

With iterative time travel, typically, only the perspective of the first traveller(s) matter. With iterative multiveral travel, perspetives of other travellers do matter and it's possible to end up with an exponentially growing amount of worldlines. With asynchronous worldlines, it's even possible to say that after invention of a time machine, the number jumps from one to approaching infinity.

Slipjig
2023-10-03, 07:19 PM
The closest I've ever come to playing in a time loop rpg was when a PC went to the future to find his dead body (knowing that he would eventually die), looted his dead body, went back to his normal time, and then later died with those same items in his possession.

The other thing he could have done was deliberately AVOID having those things in his pockets, since it would mean he couldn't die!

SimonMoon6
2023-10-05, 06:34 AM
The other thing he could have done was deliberately AVOID having those things in his pockets, since it would mean he couldn't die!

Was I wearing a hat?

Yes.

Then, I won't wear a hat. I can live without a hat.

Poppycock! It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future. Simple as that. Your bucket's been kicked, baby.