PDA

View Full Version : Post on spell school reworks: Here or in homebrew design?

GlyphicEngineer
2023-09-07, 02:16 PM
I've written an essay that attempts to come up with a united metaphysics of magic in order to fix some of WotC's idiosyncratic choices regarding which spells are assigned to which schools in D&D. It's written from an in-universe perspective and doesn't directly address rules changes, which makes me think it should be posted here in Roleplaying Games. On the other hand, it does make a few suggestions for reassigning spells to different schools and is written with the intention of supporting future mechanical changes, which makes me think it should be posted over in Homebrew design. Does anyone know which area of the forum would be more relevant to the post?

H_H_F_F
2023-09-07, 06:25 PM
Is it edition specific? If so, the appropriate edition subforum might be appropriate.

If you're feeling unsure, you could PM a mod.

GlyphicEngineer
2023-09-07, 06:44 PM
Is it edition specific? If so, the appropriate edition subforum might be appropriate.

If you're feeling unsure, you could PM a mod.

Not sure which edition of D&D standardized the spell schools, but it should work at least as far back as 3.5. The fiction that accompanies it is written with the Great Wheel cosmology in mind, but the metaphysical system should work fine in the World Axis as well.

PMing a mod is a good idea, I'll do that. Thanks!