PDA

View Full Version : [D&D5E-OOC] Ethereal Expeditions!

truemane
2023-09-07, 03:31 PM
Okay! Here's the premise:

Tenzin Moran is the captain of a Spelljamming vessel. He uses his vessel to go from place to place kicking up shenanigans for any number of reasons. Usually money. Or the promise of finding something cool. Or to pay off some debt he earned however long ago. Or just because it's fun. Or because he was drunk and crashed the ship.

You know, normal stuff.

Everyone on his ship is bound to him in some way. Maybe it's some kind of unbreakable oath. Or some kind of magic. Or extortion. Or whatever.

So you bring the Outer Space weirdo and a fun reason why you're stuck here on this ship, and I'll zip you around and find you fun things to do.

Deal?

Initial thoughts on Chargen (all of this is up for discussion): 4th level start
Choose six numbers between 8 ad 18. These are your pre-racial Attributes.
Max HP 1st level, average for the rest.
All published material is permitted.
Backgrounds that give Feats are permitted. If you choose a Background that doesn't grant a Feat, you may choose a Bonus Feat that matches your Background.
Starting equipment packages plus roll for starting gold.
One Rare or two Uncommon Magic items, but you may not choose an item that provides a flat single flat bonus.

Limited Dual-Classing, as below: Barbarian: Path of the Berserker plus Choice.
Bard: College of Eloquence plus Choice
Cleric: Any of two Domains (so long as they're not the really good ones).
Druid: Circle of the Moon OR Circle of the Land, plus Choice (or Moon and Land)
Fighter: Champion plus Choice
Monk: Open Hand plus Choice (also, if anyone wants to go Four Elements, I'm open to fixes)
Ranger: Any two Conclaves
Rogue: Thief plus Choice
Sorcerer: Any two Bloodlines OR Any Bloodline plus Bonus Spells (as per Aberrant Mind)
Wizard: Any two Schools
Warlock: Any Two Pact Boons
(I left Artificer out because I'm not sure what to do with them. I welcome any thoughts.)

All I need for backstory is: Tell me a bit about where you're from. Tenzin might have picked you up from anywhere in the whole multiverse. What's interesting or weird or cool or stupid about your homeland? What do you miss? What don't you miss?
What keeps you on Tenzin's ship? "We're buds" is fine, but the more interesting and specific the better. Oath? Contract? Geas? Blackmail? Note: you could be connected to someone else on the ship (who, in turn, is connected to Tenzin). Like, you could be madly in love with the cook, who is under some kind of magical compulsion. Or whatever.
What's your ultimate goal? If Tenzin dropped you off somewhere with a big pile of gold, what would you do?

Thoughts? Questions? Enraged arguments?

JNAProductions
2023-09-07, 03:35 PM
Laughter (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2832595) is ready!

Laughter was part of a fey refuge, hounded by the terrors of civilization. They were able to get by due to defectors-a small guild of artificers who had sympathy for the natural world. This did not last forever, though-eventually, the forces of the empire found the location of the refuge, and attacked.

But, in their wisdom, the leader of the fey had reached out to Tenzin Moran, and he arrived just in time to help evacuate the faeries and other fey. He was rewarded handsomely, and part of the reward was Laughter and others. They were to be under his employ until either him or the one in servitude died. (Resurrections don't matter-if you die and come back, debts still clear.) He dropped off most of the fey at a more friendly locale, leaving Laughter, her brother Gem, and her mentor Birel, who is a firbolg.

NontheistCleric
2023-09-07, 03:54 PM
https://i.ibb.co/6JxCH5V/Onward-II.jpg
Naraga (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2833158)
Tiefling Monk
AC: 19 | HP: 38/39 | THP: 0
PP: 14 | PIv: 10 | PIs: 16
Conditions: -
Ki: 4

"...and all you want is my 'soul'?"

"Yes. Do you know what a soul is?"

"Not really."

"Well, it's like... it's like an appendix. You know the appendix?"

"No."

A sigh.

"Right. Of course. Let me put it like this: It's something you don't really need. How about a demonstration? I'll just take hold of your soul for a few moments, and you can have a taste of those fabulous magic powers I was talking about...."

At least the voice on the wind did deliver, even if it was taking advantage of an ignorant little boy. Naraga cannot say he has not enjoyed the flight, the healing hands, and the swiftness unlike ordinary men he was gifted with on that night. Even his transformed body, which in another land on another world might have been a source of stigma, was to the common people a sign that a real magician had come to help, not another charlatan or snake-charmer.

Still, Naraga has had twenty years to realize that his five-year old self did not come out the better in that bargain. Theological accounts of what a 'soul' really is vary wildly on his home world, but none of them suggest that giving it away was a good idea.

The hard part, of course, is getting it back. Genuine magicians were sparse throughout the lands, and the few he found had all come by their powers in very different ways. No one he met really knew what entity he might have traded his soul to, and going through stories of gods and spirits as he traveled did not make the matter any clearer. Some were possibly true otherworldly powers, others might have been nothing more than a large animal seen in the wrong light, and at least a few were simply made up.

Once or twice he tried flying to a high place and shouting for the voice to come back and speak with him again. It was about as effective as he had expected.

Naraga was almost resigned to whatever awaited him after death, but one day, as he was escaping the Elephant War with the last of the noble beasts tucked inside his pack as a statuette (another story), the Infinite Jaunt arrived.

Like his damnation so many years ago, salvation came on the wind–this time no whisper but a wonder that split the night sky with its shining hull, and aboard it were beings who had seen the voids between worlds. A ship with power to dwarf even the strongest magicians he had met on his world.

The captain of the vessel made Naraga an offer. Sail with him. In the ethereal vastness they could find the being that had taken his soul, and even win it back, or if the voice still lurked somewhere on Naraga's world, perhaps the ship might take him beyond its reach. Maybe the unaging space would simply preserve him, so he would not have to fear death.

In some ways Naraga had become very different, but at heart he was still that boy being offered magic and adventure, a flight through dimensions heretofore unconceived. Even if his soul had not been an issue... the answer was clear.

And so the Jaunt left that world with one more in its complement.

Millstone85
2023-09-07, 04:35 PM
https://i.imgur.com/HN9oQcXm.png (https://i.imgur.com/HN9oQcX.png)
Irides (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2832615)

Medium Humanoid (Shardmind), N
Druid 4, Circle of the Land of Stars

AC 17 (chain mail, shield)
HP 43, Speed 30 ft., PB +2

STR
12 (+1)DEX
14 (+2)CON
16 (+3)
INT
12 (+1)WIS
18 (+4)CHA
10 (+0)

Saving Throws Int +3, Wis +6
Skills Animal Handling +6, Athletics +3

Perception +6, Survival +6

Damage Resistances radiant

Senses passive Perception 16
Languages Common, Druidic, Ziklight

Conditions none

The Shardminds
When magical gems are unearthed and gathered, they sometimes assemble into forms resembling beasts and other living beings. Shardminds are the humanoid result of this phenomenon. Some of them are partially made of lower-quality gems that eventually start crumbling under the magic pressure. They must thus eat, drink, breathe and sleep to crystallize new body mass.

Irides's Youth
Irides was discovered and subsequently raised by asteroid miners. Though his appearance deprived the miners of many gems, they saw it as a good sign regarding the arcane potential of the vein, which did prove lucrative. However, Irides soon began insisting that other gem creatures also be treated well, which eventually led to him being told to leave the asteroid.

Meeting the Captain
No spelljamming crew was willing to take Irides in, largely because of the half-dozen gem beasts he was determined to bring with him on his journey. At least, no crew that Irides found trustworthy after speaking with them a bit. That was until he came across Tenzin Moran and his people, who simply found the whole glittering menagery to be one of the cutest things ever.

To the Stars
After the protection of his gem companions, and of his newfound friendship with the spelljamming crew, Irides has been chasing a spiritual ambition. He wishes to commune with the stars of as many wildspace systems as he can. This has been helped by Captain Tenzin Moran often getting bored of a system, however still largely unexplored, and setting course to another.

Shelūr the Twofold
On the surface of Toril, there exists a heretic belief about the degree to which Selūne, goddess of moonlight and starlight, and her sister-turned-foe Shar, goddess of darkness, were and remain aspects of a single deity of the night. But in the surrounding wildspace, Shelūr the Twofold is commonly honored as a nature goddess dedicated to both preserving and challenging all life.

Menace
Shardminds are often haunted by confusing memories of another existence. The most grandiose legend regarding the race claims that all shardminds are fragments of an astral dominion that exploded when a cosmic evil escaped. A lesser tale links many shardminds' sudden knowledge of Ziklight to a forgotten war involving thri-kreen and the creation of clockwork horrors.
An example of gem beast, the ruby pangolin:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FY9ZD-xUEAA61xI?format=png&name=small (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FY9ZD-xUEAA61xI?format=png&name=large)

Shelūr the Twofold, between her aspects Selūne and Shar:
https://i.imgur.com/QMsJFq8l.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/QMsJFq8.jpg)
Tell me a bit about where you're from. Tenzin might have picked you up from anywhere in the whole multiverse. What's interesting or weird or cool or stupid about your homeland?

Irides's home "land" is your typical fantasy asteroid field. Rocks of various sizes floating so close to each other that gravity should collapse them all into one big rock, yet somehow doesn't. In fact, this field is so stable that people have built rope bridges between the asteroids.

It also has a very Super Mario Galaxy feel to it, with Huge-sized rocks working like floating platforms. Also a dash of Guardians of the Galaxy, various races having built cities inside the asteroids. Yup, Chris Pratt could play a duergar casting enlarge/reduce while jumping from asteroid to asteroid to go rescue a myconid sovereign from a half-dragon tortle.

Irides grew up on the "mountain" from which miners extracted the glowing rocks that suddenly became him. It would happen again, creating mainly gem beasts but also a couple more shardminds.

Oh and it was all in Realmspace, just because I liked a quest in Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition. On that note, it is very possible that the Twofold Goddess never actually existed, or that she permanently died after Selūne and Shar separated. As a druid, Irides receives his magic from nature and knows it. He just also happens to believe in the Twofold Goddess (for who I made up the name Shelūr).

What do you miss? What don't you miss?

Irides misses his adoptive family. Yet at the same time he doesn't, because they parted on harsh words over the matter of gem beasts and their treatment.

When on a planet, he also misses never having to look at the horizon. That thing gives him vertigo.

What keeps you on Tenzin's ship? "We're buds" is fine, but the more interesting and specific the better. Oath? Contract? Geas? Blackmail?

It is mostly "We're buds" but see the next question.

What's your ultimate goal? If Tenzin dropped you off somewhere with a big pile of gold, what would you do?

Irides has two goals that would easily conflict with each other. He wants to watch over the six gem beasts that came with him, and he wants to commune with distant stars to expand his druidic awareness. If dropped off the Infinite Jaunt, he would try to find another way to do both. But he is not confident that he would succeed, even with a big pile of gold.

MCerberus
2023-09-07, 06:45 PM
Alright so Artificer, let's get out the books.

Alright so the benefits, the short version:

Alchemist - you can create a potion of dubious reliability every long rest, bonus spells, (level5) +int modifier to one die of any magic damage or healing effect
Artillerist - create a construct turret with an action, bonus ability to activate it. Choose flavor at time of creation of: flamethrower, ballista, temporary hp bundle. (level 5) +d8 to one damage die of a spell cast with your magic gun
Battle Smith - martial proficiency, using int for weapon attacks/damage (level5) second attack, free steel defender that goes at your initiative after your actions

Alright, so if we're taking 2 subclasses you don't want Battle Smith and Artillerist together, and Alchemist is... am I missing something?
It could be Choice + one casting effect from another

Fluff for Nibbles T. Wiring:

On Nibbles' home plane, the kobolds there had been able to get out from under the shadow of scheming dragon control by the time he hatched, leading to a larger integration into society and a home Kobold under-nation. As a particularly-clever hatchling, Nibbles was sent to study in a multi-national magic research program where he eventually ended up interning most of his life (not long, Kobold) on a teleportation project. It...

It didn't end well. Poor Nibbles was suddenly torn out from reality left adrift in an airtight configuration of some storage boxes and a fishbowl. Some time helpfully quickly later he was picked up adrift. Only there was one minor problem. And idol of platinum and obsidian meant as one of the channels of divine energy was sort of fused or otherwise sucked up into the magic core of the ship. This means that according to kobold lore and religious teaching the ship is sort of an aspect of the Progenitor of all Dragons who must feed and grow strong in order to consume reality to remake it, praise be.

In the short-term Nibbles has been really good about keeping it in shape though.

truemane
2023-09-07, 11:11 PM
Also reserving a spot!

Truemane, a question–I'm pretty sure this is just my reading comprehension failing me, but if we choose a Sorcerer bloodline with bonus spells, do we only get the one bloodline? I think that's what you meant but I'm not sure.

(also, would you count the one bonus spell Divine Soul Sorcerers get as 'bonus spells'?)
Yeah, that is what I meant. But it makes things unnecessarily complicated. Just go ahead and take any two bloodlines and we'll see what it looks like.

Reserving a post.

Ethereal? That's intriguing. Was it inspired by my homebrew spelljamming map?
It was just alliterative. And 'Astral Adventures' didn't have the same ring to it. :)

I don't know how to pick something that won't feel like all 18s or all 8s. Can I roll 3d4+6 for each score?

Then if that's okay, I would like to play a shardmind by reflavoring the gem dragonborn from Fizban's Treasury of Dragons.
Yeah, you can roll if you prefer. And the Shardmind is a great idea. I love those guys and they fit right into Spelljammer.

I have never done 5e dual-classing and IIUC this is dual-subclassing. How does that work? Same hit points, hit dice and proficiency bonus as a regular 4th-level druid but having received more subclass features at 2nd level?
That's precisely it.

Alright so Artificer, let's get out the books.
So, looking at my books, Exploring Eberron has a subclass called Forgemaster that would work well as a 'Base' and then you could choose one other.

I have a (legal) copy of Exploring Eberron. If you don't have access, let me know, and I can help out.

Millstone85
2023-09-08, 03:39 AM
Alright, time to die!

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Millstone85
2023-09-08, 04:09 AM
This is very nice. I can even get rid of all odd numbers with the 1-point increase to three scores.

Now for starting gold: [roll0] x10 gp

Edit: I am told that I can in fact edit a post without altering the rolls done in it. Let's see if that roll0 reverts after I hit Save Changes.
Edit2: Oh wow, it is a bit unintuitive but I am glad it works!

NontheistCleric
2023-09-08, 11:34 AM
Rolling for gold: [roll0]x10

Truemane, how would you feel about reflavoring a winged tiefling as, well... a tiefling, but without the wings, just a kind of flying magic power?

Still in the process of writing up the backstory, but the basic idea is that he's a first-generation tiefling who became one because of a pact he made with an evil being (devil, demon, evil god? On his home world there is less distinction drawn between supernatural beings of various stripes) when he was young and didn't understand the full implications (sold soul, etc). Now the Captain has promised to help him find a way out of the deal in return for service aboard the ship.

MCerberus
2023-09-08, 12:22 PM
Is Exploring available easily in pdf? I don't mind especially since I have Aftermath because one of my players is sort of an Eberron sponge so I could find use for anything in it.

truemane
2023-09-08, 06:14 PM
Rolling for gold: [roll0]x10

Truemane, how would you feel about reflavoring a winged tiefling as, well... a tiefling, but without the wings, just a kind of flying magic power?

Still in the process of writing up the backstory, but the basic idea is that he's a first-generation tiefling who became one because of a pact he made with an evil being (devil, demon, evil god? On his home world there is less distinction drawn between supernatural beings of various stripes) when he was young and didn't understand the full implications (sold soul, etc). Now the Captain has promised to help him find a way out of the deal in return for service aboard the ship.
Yeah, that's perfectly fine. I really like that reason to be on the ship. If this were a TV series, resolving that would make a good Season Finale.

Is Exploring available easily in pdf? I don't mind especially since I have Aftermath because one of my players is sort of an Eberron sponge so I could find use for anything in it.
It is, unfortunately, quite expensive ($30 USD for the pdf alone). More than I would normally pay for a pdf. But it's really got a lot of great stuff in it (also I had a gift card).

MCerberus
2023-09-08, 06:41 PM
Alright, taking a look... Artillerist + Forgemaster looks like it would still have the "too much" problem, so is Alchemist + Forgemaster work for this?
Going to have to refluff the name of Ghaal'shaarat though. Too gobliny.

truemane
2023-09-08, 06:44 PM
Alright, taking a look... Artillerist + Forgemaster looks like it would still have the "too much" problem, so is Alchemist + Forgemaster work for this?
Going to have to refluff the name of Ghaal'shaarat though. Too gobliny.

Let's give it a try and see how it goes! And, yeah, re-fluff all you like.

MCerberus
2023-09-08, 09:01 PM
Here's a draft of Nibbles Tucker Wiring (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2833010)
Will switch out the eyes of the eagle for a bag of holding if that's too passive. I figure it would make it good for small-detail tinkering more than anything.

"Aoshard" seems a good name for his attuned weapon.
Also I have a spare infusion for one of the group's gear

Lastly, gold
[roll0] x10

truemane
2023-09-08, 09:29 PM
Sweet.

So I think that's just NontheistCleric left to get a character up.

In the meantime, you guys feel like doing a little communal worldbuilding?

Tenzin's vessel, the Infinite Jaunt, has a crew of a dozen or so, each of them bound to the Tenzin, or the Jaunt, or to someone on the Jaunt, in some way.

Tell me about one. Name
Race
Position (and/or Class, if applicable)
Bond
Your relationship with them
[Optional]Something they did that either solved a big problem or caused a big problem

MCerberus
2023-09-08, 09:51 PM
Hmm, here's an idea

Emily - the Navigator
Human
Helmswoman and Archivist (Rogue)

Emily comes from a rather drab, mundane world on the lower end of the technology scale, caught in a lay storm and washing up in the feywild. She's been on board the Jaunt for quite a while where she's put her piloting skills to use on the new ship and in that time she's also decided to keep the mementos of past adventures and discovered lore organized and safe from the ongoing weirdness the ship gets into. Emily is getting on in years so hasn't been on the 'away team' for the most part. However for a human without magic or martial training her continued survival has lead to some real whoppers of stories.

Emily and Nibbles' relationship is sort of hot/cold. Him being something of an ever-present and reckless pest but the two sharing the fact that they're castaways with no known way of finding their way back to their home planes. Despite the burning destruction of a rare tri-dragon crystal imported from Eberron the two host a weekly tea sitting where anyone is available to share stories they've picked up.

truemane
2023-09-08, 10:00 PM
Nice! People don't age in the Astral Plane, but maybe she went on so many Away Teams that she's aged quite a bit.

I like the idea that they bonded, but also drive each other nuts a little.

I like it!

NontheistCleric
2023-09-08, 10:12 PM
Character is up!

Will get to work on that worldbuilding.

JNAProductions
2023-09-09, 12:36 AM
Name
Gem

Race
Fairy

Position
Cleaning, rigging, and fitting into tight spaces.

Bond
Same as Laughter-in servitude to the captain until either the captain or the servant dies.

Relationship
Brother to Laughter
Name
Birel

Race
Firbolg

Position
Prophet, fighter, and appraiser of valuable natural relics.

Bond
Same as Laughter-in servitude to the captain until either the captain or the servant dies.

Relationship
Mentor to Laughter
Those are the two mentioned in my backstory, but let's make another!

Name
Bugsy The Fourth, Medical Doctor and Scientist

Race
Anthropomorphic insect. Stands about three feet tall. Has an attendant swarm.

Position
Doctor, and resident mad scientist.

Bond
Was given to Tenzin as a gift from Grix, an insectile mage of immense power. Bugsy was already on his way towards sentience, and the last push from Grix before being handed off instilled him with all that was needed, but the push also linked him inextricably to the ship, like a dryad to a tree. Bugsy CAN leave the vessel, but the longer he spends away, the more feral he becomes.

Relationship
"Laughter, you can wear armor. I know you know how."
"I can't fly in bulkier armor!"
"You can still fight in it."
"Just because you don't have wings doesn't mean I shouldn't get to fly. OW!"
"Don't be a baby! That'll grow back."
Unintelligible grumbles.
Laughter is a patient to Bugsy. A lot. She doesn't wear the best armor she can, since she prefers to fly, and doesn't use weapons, and likes to fly directly at big nasty threats. All that combined means Bugsy usually his many hands full when she returns. She respects the Doc a lot, for his skills and attitude; while he's still getting her measure. He doesn't DISLIKE her-but he's sometimes tired with her recklessness.

Millstone85
2023-09-09, 10:06 AM
Backstory is up!

And with it I just brought a whole lot of critters aboard. Everyone, what gem/beast combos would you have them be and what names would you give them? They may need to eat or they could be made of sturdier stuff than Irides. Either way, they have learned to spend most of their time on the hull instead of the deck.

For my magic tems, I chose two Uncommon ones: a wildspace orrery (AAG p23) and a nature's mantle (TCoE p133). I would like it to be that the star map from the Circle of the Stars also possesses the properties of a wildspace orrery. On the other hand, Irides would have a "negative" quirk: When in wild shape or summoning any sort of beast, the result is still visibly made of gems.

NontheistCleric
2023-09-09, 10:34 AM
My friends, I have been so blind. At first I was going with Divine Soul Sorcerer to represent the whole 'pact with an evil power', but all the spells and abilities were so fiddly and tortuous and I didn't feel happy. Mechanically, I just wanted someone who flies about and does vaguely fantastic stuff. Plus, Tiefling covers the pact stuff anyway.

So it's clear that I must rebuild my character as a monk. Where am I going to get a better opportunity, other than in a game where we can choose stats to alleviate multiple ability dependency?

Millstone85
2023-09-09, 11:58 AM
Nice! People don't age in the Astral Plane, but maybe she went on so many Away Teams that she's aged quite a bit.5e Spelljammer presents Wildspace as an overlap between the Material and the Astral, yet gives Wildspace none of the Astral's properties. For instance, "Creatures and objects in Wildspace age normally" (AAG p4).

So even if the ship stays in orbit while an away team explores a planet's surface, the whole crew is aging.

all the spells and abilities were so fiddly and tortuous and I didn't feel happy.I feel you. Even with a prepared caster, I still have chosen only half the spells I am supposed to.
Edit: Alright, I have done my selection.

MCerberus
2023-09-09, 05:44 PM
Considering the view he has of the ship, Nibbles is going to have a weird relationship with Doc Bugsy. On a similar note, that gem Pangolin would be called Paprika because it tastes more spicy than the other ones.

NontheistCleric
2023-09-10, 02:14 AM
Finished my backstory. Here's a crewmember...

Lorca
Construct (roughly humanoid)
Master-At-Arms, responsible for discipline and ship security

Lorca was specially commissioned from an artificer by Captain Moran, so that even in extremis one crewmember would obey him no matter what. Although Lorca is highly advanced, being sapient and capable of making intelligent decisions, his will is not free. His drives are determined entirely by the Captain, and the Captain alone can modify Lorca's motivations via verbal command. So good was the original artificer's work that even enemies attempting to use magic to change Lorca's allegiances have never succeeded.

Some crewmembers believe that due to this absolute trust, Moran has occasionally spilled secrets to the construct that he would never tell anyone else, but of course there is no way to confirm this.

By some standards Lorca could be called overzealous in his loyalty, but what an outsider might not realize is that the Captain's dicta are as essential to him as love, hate, fear and other emotions are to living creatures. Unless a particular directive is explicitly rescinded, it will continue to gnaw away at Lorca's subconscious and induce what could be described as impulsive or irrational behaviour. Once, when the Infinite Jaunt docked, Lorca went onto land and spotted one of the Captain's enemies, whom he promptly stabbed in the back. Unfortunately, the Captain had neglected to mention to Lorca that the man was there to meet him, so that an old debt which was the source of the emnity could finally be repaid. Now the deceased creditor's family hounds Moran, well past forgiveness.

Lorca's opinion of Naraga is mixed. On one hand, he approves of the tiefling's abilities in battle, especially on a ship where boarders are so easily thrown off the side, and because Lorca does not have the ability to be repaired by healing magic, he appreciates that Naraga's mystic touch somehow can. On the other hand, he recognizes that Naraga is on board mostly in his own interests, and Lorca never fully trusts people who do not have personal loyalty to the Captain.

For his part, Naraga has the insight to discern at least some of this. He doesn't begrudge Lorca his attitude, since he knows the construct also suffers a foreign grip on his soul, and more strongly than Naraga himself.

And with it I just brought a whole lot of critters aboard. Everyone, what gem/beast combos would you have them be and what names would you give them? They may need to eat or they could be made of sturdier stuff than Irides. Either way, they have learned to spend most of their time on the hull instead of the deck.

What about... a giant jade millipede? I'm bad at names, though. Let me see if anything comes to me.

Millstone85
2023-09-10, 04:15 AM
Considering the view he has of the ship, Nibbles is going to have a weird relationship with Doc Bugsy. On a similar note, that gem Pangolin would be called Paprika because it tastes more spicy than the other ones.
What about... a giant jade millipede? I'm bad at names, though. Let me see if anything comes to me.We could keep to the color/food association and call the jade millipede Peppermint.

NontheistCleric
2023-09-10, 05:58 AM
We could keep to the color/food association and call the jade millipede Peppermint.

That sounds good!

I need to roll two more starting gold dice... [roll0]

Millstone85
2023-09-10, 05:35 PM
I feared that the backstory I wrote didn't properly answer the questions in the opening post, so I updated my character post with a collapsible where I directly address these questions.

Also, the Personality section of my character sheet currently suggests a particular way for Irides to obtain pebbles for magic stone. Is that too gross? Too immature?

And would it be possible to already spend gold on hide armor? Or on a chain shirt if you don't enforce the rule against metal.

That sounds good!Two down, four more to go!

MCerberus
2023-09-11, 12:44 PM
Technically it's more shedding and nobody gets weirded out by making stuff out of dragon scales.

If we wanted to keep a theme going we could have multi-colored rock spider 'siblings' called Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme.

NontheistCleric
2023-09-11, 12:50 PM
And would it be possible to already spend gold on hide armor? Or on a chain shirt if you don't enforce the rule against metal.

I realize I was assuming we could already spend gold and got Naraga a bunch of artisan's tools and spare weapons. Probably should have asked first, sorry, truemane. Anyway, it's there for now, but I'll put it back if needed.

Millstone85
2023-09-11, 01:04 PM
Technically it's more shedding and nobody gets weirded out by making stuff out of dragon scales.You are right. I should keep it at that.

If we wanted to keep a theme going we could have multi-colored rock spider 'siblings' called Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme.But then two thirds of the menagerie would be spiders. Maybe just Rosemary the quartz spider?

NontheistCleric
2023-09-11, 01:13 PM
That's one mammal and two arthropods already... maybe a bird next? I like junglefowl. Let's say a topaz junglefowl.

Millstone85
2023-09-11, 04:19 PM
That's one mammal and two arthropods already... maybe a bird next? I like junglefowl. Let's say a topaz junglefowl.Lemon, Curry or Vanilla?

truemane
2023-09-11, 09:02 PM
Oh yes, please spend any gold you roll. That's what it's there for.

And, I don't think we need to enforce the metal thing. So go ahead and get what you want.

I love all the Crystal Critters. I bet they'll annoy the heck of Tenzin (except for one or two that he likes).

I'm almost ready to get started, I think.

JNAProductions
2023-09-11, 09:03 PM
Does anyone want to assemble an NPC list, for us to keep track of them all?
If no one volunteers, I'll slap one together tomorrow at some point. :)

truemane
2023-09-11, 09:22 PM
I'll do that. And add it to the OP of this thread (Crystal Critters included!)

MCerberus
2023-09-11, 10:23 PM
Is it also alright if I do timed activities beforehand like creating tools and getting infusions?

Also we have to consider something: Since there's only one crewmember that would be taste-testing the crystal animals, How does Irides feel about the naming scheme.

Millstone85
2023-09-12, 05:09 AM
I bought a chain shirt and a herbalism kit. I am giving the leather armor to Nibbles if he needs the material.

Crystal critters does sound better than gem beasts, alliteration and all. I am going to name the topaz junglefowl Curry for now and try to think up two more critters.

Edit: Here is a possible list.

Paprika the ruby pangolin.
Rosemary the quartz spider.
Cinnamon the sard lynx.
Curry the topaz junglefowl.
Peppermint the jade millipede.
Borage the lapis porcupine.

Also we have to consider something: Since there's only one crewmember that would be taste-testing the crystal animals, How does Irides feel about the naming scheme.It depends. How did Nibbles react when Irides asked to be taste-tested?

NontheistCleric
2023-09-12, 08:51 AM
Oh, nice. Curry was my favorite name.

MCerberus
2023-09-12, 10:40 AM
It depends. How did Nibbles react when Irides asked to be taste-tested?

Food that talks has been forbidden. Maybe just a lick.

Millstone85
2023-09-12, 04:27 PM
Then how exactly did Nibbles sample the crystal critters? Has Irides had to make him spit back fragments of them? If so, Irides isn't feeling left out like I thought he might be.

MCerberus
2023-09-12, 06:13 PM
Then how exactly did Nibbles sample the crystal critters? Has Irides had to make him spit back fragments of them? If so, Irides isn't feeling left out like I thought he might be.

Depending on where we want the tone could be that would work, or one day Iredes could have found a panicked critter running around the ship with an unwanted kobold vice-gripped to them.

Millstone85
2023-09-13, 05:53 AM
As long as Nibbles learned not to do it again, Irides is fine with the names stucking.

NontheistCleric
2023-09-15, 05:34 AM
I've put together that NPC list, to save our busy DM a little trouble. Adapted JNA's format for all of them (except the critters) for consistency.

Name
Emily

Race
Human

Position
Helmswoman and Archivist (Rogue)

Bond and Relationship
Emily comes from a rather drab, mundane world on the lower end of the technology scale, caught in a lay storm and washing up in the feywild. She's been on board the Jaunt for quite a while where she's put her piloting skills to use on the new ship and in that time she's also decided to keep the mementos of past adventures and discovered lore organized and safe from the ongoing weirdness the ship gets into. Emily is getting on in years so hasn't been on the 'away team' for the most part. However for a human without magic or martial training her continued survival has lead to some real whoppers of stories.

Emily and Nibbles' relationship is sort of hot/cold. Him being something of an ever-present and reckless pest but the two sharing the fact that they're castaways with no known way of finding their way back to their home planes. Despite the burning destruction of a rare tri-dragon crystal imported from Eberron the two host a weekly tea sitting where anyone is available to share stories they've picked up.
Name
Gem

Race
Fairy

Position
Cleaning, rigging, and fitting into tight spaces.

Bond

Relationship
Brother to Laughter
Name
Birel

Race
Firbolg

Position
Prophet, fighter, and appraiser of valuable natural relics.

Bond

Relationship
Mentor to Laughter
Name
Bugsy The Fourth, Medical Doctor and Scientist

Race
Anthropomorphic insect. Stands about three feet tall. Has an attendant swarm.

Position
Doctor, and resident mad scientist.

Bond
Was given to Tenzin as a gift from Grix, an insectile mage of immense power. Bugsy was already on his way towards sentience, and the last push from Grix before being handed off instilled him with all that was needed, but the push also linked him inextricably to the ship, like a dryad to a tree. Bugsy CAN leave the vessel, but the longer he spends away, the more feral he becomes.

Relationship
"Laughter, you can wear armor. I know you know how."
"I can't fly in bulkier armor!"
"You can still fight in it."
"Just because you don't have wings doesn't mean I shouldn't get to fly. OW!"
"Don't be a baby! That'll grow back."
Unintelligible grumbles.
Laughter is a patient to Bugsy. A lot. She doesn't wear the best armor she can, since she prefers to fly, and doesn't use weapons, and likes to fly directly at big nasty threats. All that combined means Bugsy usually his many hands full when she returns. She respects the Doc a lot, for his skills and attitude; while he's still getting her measure. He doesn't DISLIKE her-but he's sometimes tired with her recklessness.
Name
Lorca

Race
Construct (roughly humanoid)

Position
Master-At-Arms, responsible for discipline and ship security

Bond and Relationship
Lorca was specially commissioned from an artificer by Captain Moran, so that even in extremis one crewmember would obey him no matter what. Although Lorca is highly advanced, being sapient and capable of making intelligent decisions, his will is not free. His drives are determined entirely by the Captain, and the Captain alone can modify Lorca's motivations via verbal command. So good was the original artificer's work that even enemies attempting to use magic to change Lorca's allegiances have never succeeded.

Some crewmembers believe that due to this absolute trust, Moran has occasionally spilled secrets to the construct that he would never tell anyone else, but of course there is no way to confirm this.

By some standards Lorca could be called overzealous in his loyalty, but what an outsider might not realize is that the Captain's dicta are as essential to him as love, hate, fear and other emotions are to living creatures. Unless a particular directive is explicitly rescinded, it will continue to gnaw away at Lorca's subconscious and induce what could be described as impulsive or irrational behaviour. Once, when the Infinite Jaunt docked, Lorca went onto land and spotted one of the Captain's enemies, whom he promptly stabbed in the back. Unfortunately, the Captain had neglected to mention to Lorca that the man was there to meet him, so that an old debt which was the source of the emnity could finally be repaid. Now the deceased creditor's family hounds Moran, well past forgiveness.

Lorca's opinion of Naraga is mixed. On one hand, he approves of the tiefling's abilities in battle, especially on a ship where boarders are so easily thrown off the side, and because Lorca does not have the ability to be repaired by healing magic, he appreciates that Naraga's mystic touch somehow can. On the other hand, he recognizes that Naraga is on board mostly in his own interests, and Lorca never fully trusts people who do not have personal loyalty to the Captain.

For his part, Naraga has the insight to discern at least some of this. He doesn't begrudge Lorca his attitude, since he knows the construct also suffers a foreign grip on his soul, and more strongly than Naraga himself.

Paprika the ruby pangolin.
Rosemary the quartz spider.
Cinnamon the sard lynx.
Curry the topaz junglefowl.
Peppermint the jade millipede.
Borage the lapis porcupine.

truemane
2023-09-15, 10:11 PM
Thanks, NontheistCleric! I'll get everything tucked away when I get a moment.

IC Thread is Up! (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?660065-DnD5e-IC-Ethereal-Expeditions-Episode-1-The-Fiend-of-Hollow-Mine&p=25869896#post25869896)

MCerberus
2023-09-15, 11:33 PM
I believe 1 more piece of record keeping, have a free active infusion, so would it be good to give enhanced defense on Laughter's armor to help out the 'getting hurt' part?

JNAProductions
2023-09-16, 12:26 AM
I believe 1 more piece of record keeping, have a free active infusion, so would it be good to give enhanced defense on Laughter's armor to help out the 'getting hurt' part?

I would appreciate that! :)

Millstone85
2023-09-16, 05:38 AM
I just woke up and I am feeling a bit under the weather, but I will try not to make you wait too much.

truemane
2023-09-16, 11:09 AM
I just woke up and I am feeling a bit under the weather, but I will try not to make you wait too much.
Oh man, no problem. Take all the time you need. I'll move us up to the first scene, but we can assume you're coming along, just hanging in the back quiet-like.

Millstone85
2023-09-16, 02:57 PM
Thank you for your patience.

I have updated my character sheet so some items now have "ship" as their current location.

I consider that Irides, being proficient in the Survival skill, has hunting experience. Should I roll here or in the IC thread?

truemane
2023-09-16, 03:00 PM
Let's do rolls here.

Millstone85
2023-09-16, 03:10 PM
Wisdom(Perception) checks:
1st: [roll0]
2nd: [roll1]
3rd: best of [roll2] or [roll3]

JNAProductions
2023-09-16, 03:20 PM
Perception/Survival (Same Mod): [roll0]
Investigation: [roll1]
Perception Two: [roll2]

MCerberus
2023-09-16, 06:00 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

NontheistCleric
2023-09-16, 08:41 PM
First Perception: [roll0]
Second Perception: [roll1]
Third Perception: [roll2]
Advantage on third perception: [roll3]

truemane
2023-09-20, 09:00 AM
Hey all! Just letting you all know I'm at the tail end of audit season at work. So I might not be able to post anything until the weekend. I want to get this next post (which, spoilers, is combat) up and running as soon as I can, but it's a very busy week for me.

Also, I extended an invitation for Lentrax to join us if they'd like. They want to play a Barbarian, and this totally seems like a game where that's a fun choice.

NontheistCleric
2023-09-20, 09:16 AM
Take your time. Real life is real life.

Millstone85
2023-09-22, 11:56 AM
Also, I extended an invitation for Lentrax to join us if they'd like. They want to play a Barbarian, and this totally seems like a game where that's a fun choice.It looks like we might be getting Bobthewizard instead. I wonder if they will want their character to retroactively be part of the crew (not that much has happened yet) or if this battle is where we meet them (a bit cooler IMHO).

truemane
2023-09-22, 12:19 PM
Yes indeed. Lentrax passed but bobthewizard is coming on board. I'm playing with them in another game and I think they'll fit right in.

I'll workshop their character's entry with them. I also like encountering them here in the adventure, but we'll see if bob has any preferences.

Bobthewizard
2023-09-22, 12:30 PM
Hi everyone. I'm excited to join this. I have a character, Aeon (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2837005). An Astral Elf who Tenzin rescued from Gith Slavery.

• Tell me a bit about where you're from. Tenzin might have picked you up from anywhere in the whole multiverse. What's interesting or weird or cool or stupid about your homeland? What do you miss? What don't you miss?

Aeon has lived in the Astral plane for as long as he can remember, initially floating on his own and riding the psychic winds. But then he spent a very long time, perhaps tens of thousands of years, as a Githyanki slave, working as a servant to an ambassador, dragged around to different Astral courts. He only remembers the Astral plane, and short excursions to Sigil and Corellon’s court in Arvandor. Shortly before he met Tenzin, he briefly encountered Corellon Larathian, who breathed a spark of light into him and foretold his imminent freedom.

• What keeps you on Tenzin's ship? "We're buds" is fine, but the more interesting and specific the better. Oath? Contract? Geas? Blackmail? Note: you could be connected to someone else on the ship (who, in turn, is connected to Tenzin). Like, you could be madly in love with the cook, who is under some kind of magical compulsion. Or whatever.

Tenzin was hired to steal some papers from the Gith ambassador. As part of the job, he freed Aeon and let him come with him. Aeon then killed the ambassador and accepted his new freedom. Aeon owes Tenzin his life and would do anything for him. He is also secretly, romantically in love with Tenzin, a feeling that is not reciprocated.

• What's your ultimate goal? If Tenzin dropped you off somewhere with a big pile of gold, what would you do?
He wants to help Tenzin, and would hope to share that pile of gold with Tenzin.

NontheistCleric
2023-09-22, 12:49 PM
Welcome, Bob!

truemane
2023-09-22, 01:17 PM
Bobthewizard, give me a bit to get things organized before you start posting in the IC thread, if you don't mind.

I just want to get all the pre-game stuff settled and decide where you're entering the story and whatnot.

Bobthewizard
2023-09-22, 01:22 PM
Oops. I had just posted. I think it brings him in without messing anything up, but I can delete it if you want me to.

I went with rogue and took the +0 sunblade and a helm of telepathy for his 2 uncommon items.

truemane
2023-09-22, 01:32 PM
Yes, delete for now, please.

I'm just rounding up some work things and I'll circle back around here and we'll get you all sorted.

Bobthewizard
2023-09-22, 02:33 PM
Done.

Here's my NPC

Algrex is a plasmoid aberrant mind sorcerer and is attuned to the Spelljammer Helm of the Infinite Jaunt, freeing up Tenzin to command the ship and crew.

He had been a Gith slave along with Aeon and was rescued at the same time. Aeon had looked out for Algrex when they were both slaves, since he was very quiet and shy as a slave. Since being rescued, though, he is very talkative and optimistic, frequently joking with the other crew members. And he loves the Infinite Jaunt. He never wants to leave and always volunteers to stay on the ship.

https://www.worldanvil.com/media/cache/cover/uploads/images/157d2a48e18fc69d2a1c151d330000fe.jpg

Bobthewizard
2023-09-22, 06:49 PM
Rogue starting gold [roll0]

Millstone85
2023-09-23, 11:23 AM
Hi everyone. I'm excited to join this. I have a character, Aeon (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2837005). An Astral Elf who Tenzin rescued from Gith Slavery.Hi Bob! Nice character.

If Aeon has ever met shardminds before, some look like that (https://i.imgur.com/F1MFcN6.jpeg) but Irides is closer to this (https://d1vzi28wh99zvq.cloudfront.net/images/8957/179594.png) and much like Aeon only "generally goes" by he/him. Also, there is no real consensus on which of the Crystal Critters are good boys and which are good girls. :smallsmile:

he spent a very long time, perhaps tens of thousands of years, as a Githyanki slave, working as a servant to an ambassador, dragged around to different Astral courts. He only remembers the Astral plane, and short excursions to Sigil and Corellon’s court in Arvandor.The githyanki must have had some major leverage if their ambassador brought an enslaved elf to Corellon's court. :smalleek:

truemane
2023-09-23, 04:33 PM
I don't think I have any modules near to hand with Gith antagonists, but I'll certainly be looking for places I can add some.

I didn't get the next scene set yesterday like I'd planned, but I do plan to to do tonight.

@bobthewizard: my current ideas is that, for whatever reason makes sense, you came to San Citlan ahead of time (maybe you knew someone here and wanted to visit, or were off-ship on some other errand and it was easiest to meet here, or you came ahead to make sure the festival was happening, or to reserve lizards for the ride, or anything along those lines).

So, once I set the next scene, you can enter from off-screen. And we'll be on our way.

Bobthewizard
2023-09-23, 04:40 PM
The githyanki must have had some major leverage if their ambassador brought an enslaved elf to Corellon's court. :smalleek:

I hadn't considered that. The ambassador being very powerful could explain why lots of Gith are after him, or I can take that bit out if it's too much.

I don't think I have any modules near to hand with Gith antagonists, but I'll certainly be looking for places I can add some.

I didn't get the next scene set yesterday like I'd planned, but I do plan to to do tonight.

@bobthewizard: my current ideas is that, for whatever reason makes sense, you came to San Citlan ahead of time (maybe you knew someone here and wanted to visit, or were off-ship on some other errand and it was easiest to meet here, or you came ahead to make sure the festival was happening, or to reserve lizards for the ride, or anything along those lines).

So, once I set the next scene, you can enter from off-screen. And we'll be on our way.

Let me know when you want me to jump in. Going ahead to negotiate for the lizards sounds fine. It's not something he wanted to do, but he'd do it for Tenzin.

Don't worry about a Gith module. It can just be a constant threat that pops up every once in a while instead of a whole adventure. One Gith in a cantina and he'll be paranoid.

Bobthewizard
2023-09-24, 08:51 AM
Truemane, in your Big 16 it says rogues must be thief and one other, but while swashbuckler is more important for Aeon, mastermind would fit better than thief for the second subclass. Would you be ok if I switched the thief subclass to mastermind?

truemane
2023-09-24, 03:09 PM
Truemane, in your Big 16 it says rogues must be thief and one other, but while swashbuckler is more important for Aeon, mastermind would fit better than thief for the second subclass. Would you be ok if I switched the thief subclass to mastermind?
Yeah that's fine.

truemane
2023-09-24, 04:41 PM
Okay, everyone, we're about to start our first combat. Here's a few things:

1. Initiative Order
The way we'll be doing initiative order is this: Initiative will happen by Side. All the good guys at once, all the bad guys at once. When it's your side's turn, post in any order and assume all action happens at the same time and/or in the order you post (whichever makes more sense).
I'll roll initiative for everyone. The single highest result determines which side goes first.
For the first round only, you can attack with Advantage against anyone who rolled lower than you did. If you cast a spell instead of attacking, the save will be at Disadvantage instead.
I'll list the people you can attack with Advantage when I set the scene.
I'll post the enemies' AC's, so you know if you hit or not. I might start listing HP as well, but I generally prefer not to.

2. Battle Maps
I'm going to be trying out Owlbear Rodeo for the maps. Feel free to click the link and I'll you to the gameroom:

https://www.owlbear.rodeo/room/P1xY62xRS2Ck/TheDeadWard

3. NPC's
As a general rule, I like NPC's to be liabilities in combat, not assets. So as a narrative short-cut, I'm going to assume Tenzin and Birel are protecting Emily, and therefore won't be taking an active part in the battle (just to avoid DMNPC issues).

4. Critical Hits
I like doing 'strong' criticals. So when you roll a crit, take max damage and then roll. This does mean the same for monsters. If anyone has any objections to this, let me know.

5. Critical Fumbles
I like doing critical fumbles, but not all the time. My usual thing is to keep track of the number of natural 1's and when a single combat gets roughly as many as there are PC's, something bad will happen.

6. Dice Rolls
I prefer rolls in the OC thread. But you can make them in your IC post if you'd rather, just tuck them into spoilers, like you would any other OC information.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Millstone85
2023-09-24, 06:53 PM
I forgot the advantage roll. Let's see if I hit after all.

[roll0]

NontheistCleric
2023-09-25, 03:47 AM
Can't see the map yet (still asking to join as of this post), so some of these actions are determined blind. Rolling everything in this post before I post IC.

Truemane, how do you want to handle Wara the elephant in combat? Naraga is going to command him to engage the bandits, but does he act on Naraga's initiative? Do I control him, or do you?

For convenience, I've detailed Wara's actions below just in case I'm allowed to determine them. If not, disregard the 'Wara' spoiler. I left the IC post sort of vague in case you want to have him do something else (I'm also assuming he can grasp the spirit of Naraga's commands, so he won't begin wrecking the town once the bandits are defeated). There's a possible prone you might have to roll the bandit's save for anyway, so leaving it open-ended works regardless.
Actions detailed below are for IC post #18 (link).
(https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25875682&postcount=18)
Okay, judging by the narration, Naraga already used his free object interaction for this round to give his bow and quiver to Wara. Actually, he can only do one object a turn without using extra actions, so let's say he gave the arrows first and is still holding the bow. No interaction left to ready his quarterstaff, but at least he can just attack with his body.

Naraga commands Wara to charge, then he moves forward (flying, so no difficult terrain) and uses his action and bonus action to attack Bandit 5 with two unarmed strikes, then continues forward in the direction of the house across the way behind which the cries of pain came from. After striking the bandit, he tries to go up and over the house to get behind it. Without looking at the map, I don't know if 50' of flying is enough to get there. He goes as far as he can, in any case.

Unarmed strike attack: [roll0]
Advantage: [roll1]

Unarmed strike damage (bludgeoning): [roll2]

Bonus action unarmed strike attack: [roll3]
Advantage: [roll4]

Bonus action unarmed strike damage (bludgeoning): [roll5]

Wara drops the quiver Naraga just gave him, then moves forward (backing up first if there isn't the required 20' for a charge) and gores Bandit 5 (or Bandit 3 if 5 went down from Naraga's unarmed strikes).

Athletics to vault wall (does a full-sized elephant need this?): [roll6]

Gore attack: [roll7]
Advantage (only if applicable): [roll8]

If the gore hits, the bandit is subject to Trampling Charge (see below).

Gore damage (piercing): [roll9]

Trampling Charge:
If the elephant moves at least 20 ft. straight toward a creature and then hits it with a gore attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 12 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the elephant can make one stomp attack against it as a bonus action.

Bonus action stomp attack (if applicable): [roll10]
Advantage (due to prone): [roll11]

Stomp damage (bludgeoning): [roll12]

Bobthewizard
2023-09-25, 06:46 AM
Truemane, how do you want to handle Wara the elephant in combat?

That's really cool. How'd we get an elephant to join us?

NontheistCleric
2023-09-25, 06:49 AM
Figurine of Wondrous Power. I chose it as my rare magic item.

Bobthewizard
2023-09-25, 06:53 AM
Figurine of Wondrous Power. I chose it as my rare magic item.

Nice! That's a cool choice.

NontheistCleric
2023-09-25, 07:01 AM
Since you got me talking about the elephant, there's a whole bit of background I didn't put in my first post because it wasn't especially relevant to why Naraga is on the Infinite Jaunt...

The story is that there was a big war in his homeland when the neighbouring nation's priestly caste got it into their heads that elephants were evil and invaded to wipe them out. Naraga was part of a team of magicians who fought on the elephants' side, but they ended up losing, so the sorceress Marble Girl transfigured the last ones left into statuettes so they could be hidden and live forever. Then the group split up, each taking an elephant with them.

MCerberus
2023-09-25, 08:02 AM
I couldn't get eyes on the map last night and am at a different computer until this evening, is there a good blob of bandits that can get a 3 or more of them with a grease?

Millstone85
2023-09-25, 10:03 AM
I couldn't get eyes on the map last night and am at a different computer until this evening, is there a good blob of bandits that can get a 3 or more of them with a grease?My guess is no, at least not without friendly fire. I dare not move anything other than my own token, but here is how I would describe the situation based on recent posts.

Northwest:
Laughter, Naraga and Wara are in melee with bandits 5-6-7 amidst rocks.
Bandit 4 is further to the west behind a rock, almost out of the map.

Southwest: Aeon is in melee with bandits 1-2-3 amidst rocks.

North: Nibbles has taken cover behind a rock.

South: Irides has taken cover behind a rock.

East: Birel, Emily and Tenzin have taken cover behind a rock.
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/47/c4/70/47c47060cc7ab8fc3be3132f39046643.jpg

Bobthewizard
2023-09-25, 10:17 AM
I couldn't get eyes on the map last night and am at a different computer until this evening, is there a good blob of bandits that can get a 3 or more of them with a grease?

I think you can get 1, 2, and 3 if Truemane lets you turn it into a diamond shape. If not, getting 2 and 3 would be helpful for me.

NontheistCleric
2023-09-25, 10:28 AM
Is the house across the way on the map? Now I feel like I should have waited until I could see what's going on. It sounds like attacking Bandit 5 might not be the right choice to take the shortest route to the house.

Truemane, if it isn't, could I change the bandit Naraga targets (to whichever one would give him the shortest path)? It means he'll only hit the bonus action unarmed strike, but that's okay with me. He just wants to get to the person in pain.

(I did already write that he hit the bandit twice, but there is some degree of abstraction involved in the system anyway...)

Millstone85
2023-09-25, 10:30 AM
I think you can get 1, 2, and 3 if Truemane lets you turn it into a diamond shape. If not, getting 2 and 3 would be helpful for me.Ah yes, because the rocks there represent the wall. It is difficult terrain for us but would it interfere with an AoE?

Is the house across the way on the map?The house doesn't seem to be on the map, unless one of the rocks or tents represent it.

NontheistCleric
2023-09-25, 10:45 AM
Oh dear. Okay. I'll just wait for truemane to tell me, then. Thank you for helping me check.

NontheistCleric
2023-09-25, 06:04 PM
I can see the map now! Looks like Bandit 5 was actually a good target, at least assuming the way the house is across is right in front of us (and that we were facing west). Moved my token forward and past the bandit, reflecting my earlier post. Hope the distance is right; the map didn't seem to have a grid.

Millstone85
2023-09-25, 06:27 PM
Hope the distance is right; the map didn't seem to have a grid.It is very faint but it is there. Also, there are tools around the screen, one of which is called Ruler and another is called Measure (no idea what the difference is).

NontheistCleric
2023-09-25, 06:38 PM
Ah, okay, I see it. Had to estimate where I started and re-do it with the measuring thing, but it should be a bit more accurate now. Thanks again, Millstone!

Looks like Wara should also be able to do the charge up to 5, starting from the same position. Unfortunately he doesn't have a token yet.

truemane
2023-09-25, 09:37 PM
Truemane, how do you want to handle Wara the elephant in combat? Naraga is going to command him to engage the bandits, but does he act on Naraga's initiative? Do I control him, or do you?
I completely forgot you had access to a war elephant for a day each week. That's going to make things interesting.

You go ahead and control him. Less admin for me means faster, more frequent posts for you.

I think you can get 1, 2, and 3 if Truemane lets you turn it into a diamond shape. If not, getting 2 and 3 would be helpful for me.
I don't mind you making it a diamond actually. That seems like something you'd be able to do. So go for it if you like.

Is the house across the way on the map?

[...]

Truemane, if it isn't, could I change the bandit Naraga targets (to whichever one would give him the shortest path)?
The houses are clustered around a well off the left side of the map. They are about 100 ft from the wall. It's not immediately clear what house the cries are coming from, but you should reach the general vicinity next turn.

Ah yes, because the rocks there represent the wall. It is difficult terrain for us but would it interfere with an AoE?
No, the wall is short enough to not impact LOE or LOS.

It is very faint but it is there. Also, there are tools around the screen, one of which is called Ruler and another is called Measure (no idea what the difference is).
Feel free not to fret overmuch about exact distances. Use the measuring tools if you like, but your best guesstimate is also going to be fine most of the time.

Looks like Wara should also be able to do the charge up to 5, starting from the same position. Unfortunately he doesn't have a token yet.
He does now!

NontheistCleric
2023-09-26, 04:30 AM
I can't seem to actually move the elephant token (still able to move Naraga's), but he should be somewhere in the middle of the three northerly bandits now. He might overlap a bit with them but as a Huge creature he can share space with Medium ones.

truemane
2023-09-27, 11:00 PM
You should be able to move the elephant now! Update gonna happen as early tomorrow as I can manage.

truemane
2023-09-29, 08:36 AM
That was over pretty quick! This module isn't meant to be extremely challenging or anything, but all the same, it did not account for the presence of a war elephant.

Also, moving forward, I'm planning to keep Tenzin, Emily, and Birel mostly off camera. If anyone interacts with them directly, they'll respond, and if anyone wants to tap them as a resource (asking Emily if she can read some old text, or asking Tenzin if he has friends nearby), we can handle that case-by-case.

I want to make sure this remains your adventure. But I also want to make sure Laughter has access to her mentor, and Aeon can still make Tenzin uncomfortable with flirting.

You know, important stuff.

NontheistCleric
2023-09-29, 08:49 AM
Rolling 2 Hands of Healing dice to heal the badly wounded villager if they accept it: [roll0]+8

(tell me if only 1 is needed)

NontheistCleric
2023-10-01, 01:57 PM
Rolling Medicine to deduce something useful about this disease: [roll0]

Hope I'm not splitting the scene too much. Naraga will join the others inside once he's found out what he can.

Millstone85
2023-10-01, 04:59 PM
I was sad to discover that English apparently doesn't have a commonly accepted onomatopeia for when an elephant trumpets, and neither does French for that matter.

Whatever, I made one up.

truemane
2023-10-02, 10:01 PM
Rolling Medicine to deduce something useful about this disease: [roll0]

Hope I'm not splitting the scene too much. Naraga will join the others inside once he's found out what he can.
You're fine. I don't at all mind a bit of split-screening. It's one of those things that PbP is good at.

I was sad to discover that English apparently doesn't have a commonly accepted onomatopeia for when an elephant trumpets, and neither does French for that matter.

Whatever, I made one up.
I always thought 'trumpet' was a bit onomatopoetic, when applied to elephant noise.

NontheistCleric
2023-10-09, 10:56 PM
Naraga will try to use Hands of Healing on Paloma and whoever is closest to death from sereno. Will it do anything? In any case, he will at least try. Hopefully the journey is long enough that an elephant-back nap makes a short rest.

One use for each...

Paloma: [roll0]

The sickest sereno sufferer: [roll1]

Millstone85
2023-10-10, 06:25 AM
I will use my 1st-level spell slots to join the healing efforts with cure wounds.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

truemane
2023-10-11, 09:15 AM
Millstone85, you're welcome to save your spell slots. Healing doesn't help with Sereno. It makes sense that Naraga would try, but I think Irides would see them trying and know that it's ineffective.

EDIT: I forgot to address the healing in my post. My bad. I've edited it to include Naraga trying healing, and realizing it won't help.

EDIT 2: Naraga (and anyone who has either spell on their class list) would know that Remove Curse or Lesser Restoration might help.

NontheistCleric
2023-10-11, 09:30 AM
I'll edit in Naraga's response to that in the post I already made, then.

Millstone85
2023-10-11, 01:37 PM
I have also edited my post.

truemane
2023-10-15, 01:44 PM
Desert Travel!

The big question is: will you push through the whole 12 hours? Or take a Long Rest partway?

Pushing through will get you to Hollow an hour or two after nightfall. And the last leg will be considered a Forced March.

But camping in the desert at night has its own perils.

Either way, let's get the following:
-One PC can be the Lookout. Roll two Perception Checks (for the first eight hours of travel).
-One PC can be the Navigator. Roll two Survival Checks.

One PC may Help one each of the above to grant Advantage.

Let's overland travel!

NontheistCleric
2023-10-15, 01:54 PM
Irides has both the best Perception and Survival, but he can't do both. Navigation is probably more important, since it will help us get to where we're going before the curse gets more people, so maybe we can have the flyers as lookouts, with Naraga leading because of higher Perception, and Irides and Nibbles handling navigation? Everyone okay with that plan?

I vote for pushing through, since the longer we take, the more villagers are likely to die.

JNAProductions
2023-10-15, 01:59 PM
Irides has both the best Perception and Survival, but he can't do both. Navigation is probably more important, since it will help us get to where we're going before the curse gets more people, so maybe we can have the flyers as lookouts, with Naraga leading because of higher Perception, and Irides and Nibbles handling navigation? Everyone okay with that plan?

I vote for pushing through, since the longer we take, the more villagers are likely to die.

This sounds a sound plan.

NontheistCleric
2023-10-15, 04:11 PM
In that case, I will make my Perception checks. Same value as my Survival check, so it works either way, really.

First Perception
[roll0]

Second Perception (applying the advantage)
[roll1]
[roll2]

Millstone85
2023-10-15, 05:17 PM
Good plan but why is only the second check with advantage?

MCerberus
2023-10-15, 08:46 PM
Wisdom checks in bright light, Nibbles is going to be more useful at night, where at the end he'll have advantage on visual checks at least when we camp/move in dark. I guess one thing to do is to count out nightvisions to see how good we're going to be in the open at night.

NontheistCleric
2023-10-15, 10:53 PM
Good plan but why is only the second check with advantage?
Oh, well, truemane said:

One PC may Help one each of the above to grant Advantage.
Which I interpreted as 'one check each out of the four checks'. Now that you mention it, that may not be the only way of reading it... let's wait for truemane to come back. He can always roll another die if necessary.

Wisdom checks in bright light, Nibbles is going to be more useful at night, where at the end he'll have advantage on visual checks at least when we camp/move in dark. I guess one thing to do is to count out nightvisions to see how good we're going to be in the open at night.
Nibbles and Naraga have darkvision, Irides and Laughter do not (though they have ways of making light). Not sure if the lizards have it.

Bobthewizard
2023-10-16, 05:39 AM

Fortunately, that disadvantage doesn't affect the help action.

Nibbles and Naraga have darkvision, Irides and Laughter do not (though they have ways of making light). Not sure if the lizards have it.

Aeon has darkvision and a sunsword

Bobthewizard
2023-10-16, 05:41 AM
Help to NontheistCleric's first perception

[roll0]

NontheistCleric
2023-10-16, 06:03 AM
Somehow I managed to forget Aeon was there and assumed we would have to take one riderless lizard with us. Sorry, Aeon and Bob. I guess it still works out numerically, though, since Nibbles wants to double up.

JNAProductions
2023-10-16, 12:00 PM
I have the Wisdom of not that good, so I'll just Help whoever needs it. :)

truemane
2023-10-16, 07:36 PM
Sorry! I meant that one person can Help one other PC.

So both rolls can be made with Advantage.

Millstone85
2023-10-17, 06:26 AM
Then here are my rolls:

First Survival
Best of [roll0] or [roll1], plus [roll2].

Second Survival
Best of [roll3] or [roll4], plus [roll5].

Yup, another character who is going to spam guidance.

truemane
2023-10-20, 01:34 PM
Sorry about the delay! I've recently started a new set of anti-ADHD things in place which have done wonders for my productivity during the workday, but have the spillover effect of killing my RPG writing habits.

So I'm working on mathing those out now.

I have high hopes for the future of the current system.

But we're off! Combat!

Let me know if you have any issues with the map or anything, and if you have any questions or concerns.

JNAProductions
2023-10-20, 01:35 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Nature one and nature two.

JNAProductions
2023-10-20, 01:40 PM
Crit baby!

[roll0]
[roll1]

For a total of... Oh wow, I rolled MINIMUM POSSIBLE on the first two damage dice. :P

12 damage. That's... Not the best, but aw well.

truemane
2023-10-20, 01:42 PM
For crits, you can take max damage plus the extra roll.

Doesn't take the sting out of that 1. But it'll help a little :)

EDIT: I can't remember if I said this or not, but you can take a Short Rest between leaving Milzapul and here. There was at least one nice, quiet hour.

JNAProductions
2023-10-20, 01:44 PM
Okay, so 14+7 is 21 damage.

That's better!

NontheistCleric
2023-10-20, 01:46 PM
Let's see what I get on those Nature checks...

[roll0]
[roll1]

NontheistCleric
2023-10-20, 02:07 PM
Actions for IC post #58 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25892398&postcount=58)

Naraga flies right out and attacks Ettin 1 with quarterstaff (two-handed) and unarmed strike.

Quarterstaff attack: [roll0]
Advantage: [roll1]

Quarterstaff damage (bludgeoning): [roll2]

Bonus action unarmed strike attack: [roll3]]
Advantage: [roll4]

Bonus action unarmed strike damage (bludgeoning): [roll5]
Wara tries to climb the riverbed wall. If successful, he charges straight at Ettin 1 and makes a gore attack.

Athletics to climb wall (DC 12): [roll6]

Gore attack: [roll7]
Advantage: [roll8]

If the gore hits, the ettin is subject to Trampling Charge (see below).

Gore damage (piercing): [roll9]

Trampling Charge:
If the elephant moves at least 20 ft. straight toward a creature and then hits it with a gore attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 12 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the elephant can make one stomp attack against it as a bonus action.

Bonus action stomp attack (if applicable): [roll10]
Advantage (due to prone): [roll11]

Stomp damage (bludgeoning): [roll12]
Naraga and Wara are not striking to kill. Their damage is nonlethal, only aimed to reduce HP to 0 and unconsciousness.

Bobthewizard
2023-10-20, 02:14 PM
Nature check 1: [roll0]
Nature check 2: [roll1]

Booming Blade attack [roll2], Advantage [roll3]
Radiant damage [roll4]
if moves, then thunder damage [roll5]

Bobthewizard
2023-10-20, 02:16 PM
sneak attack [roll0]

Millstone85
2023-10-20, 02:20 PM
Nature checks:
plus [roll1]
[roll2] plus [roll3]

Perception check:
[roll]1d20+6 plus 1d4

Okay, will roll for Perception in IC thread.

And also for Athletics, yes I am still struggling with posting die rolls.

MCerberus
2023-10-21, 07:18 PM
I'm rollin' I'm rollin' I'm rollin' I'm roll-in

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

edit - my old comp died out so I need a new room invite because my laptop has a different ID. If the monsters are close to each-other though, grease time.

NontheistCleric
2023-10-21, 10:26 PM
The second one is still much further back, so I don't think you can get them both this round.

Millstone85
2023-10-22, 11:39 AM
my old comp died out so I need a new room invite because my laptop has a different ID.I hadn't even realized that the room (https://www.owlbear.rodeo/room/P1xY62xRS2Ck/TheDeadWard#) was in use again.

Bobthewizard
2023-10-22, 07:24 PM
Aeon's Athletics [roll0]

truemane
2023-10-23, 03:29 PM
Couple quick notes while I update the round:

First: If you guys don't mind, please summarize actions and rolls in a Spoiler at the end of your IC post. Something like

Jimbob attacks the Ettin with a big stick then runs away.

[ spoiler=OOC] Move: 30 ft toward Ettin 1
Action: Attack Ettin 1, with 16, for 14 damage
Bonus Action: Disengage[/spoiler]

Or similar. The quicker I can scan a series of posts and collect the info I need, the faster I can post a a response.

Second: NontheistCleric, I don't remember exactly where Wara was when we started, but he has 40ft of movement and getting up the slope is going to take 20 feet of it. I don't think he'll make it to the Ettin this round. I'm going to place him just atop the slope. He can full charge this round (you can keep the rolls if you like). However, since he doesn't get an Action, I'll have him help Irides to the top as he scrambles up.

Next round is up!

NontheistCleric
2023-10-23, 03:40 PM
Deflecting dung ball with reaction: [roll0]

Dex save: [roll1]

Con save: [roll2]

NontheistCleric
2023-10-23, 03:59 PM
Oh, truemane, I think you missed that Naraga's bonus action unarmed strike hit for 8 damage in the first round. My bad for not listing it in the IC post, though–I'll do that from now on.

Also, general ruling question: It didn't happen this round, and Naraga made the saves successfully anyway, but do the secondary effects of an attack still apply if he deflects all the damage?

NontheistCleric
2023-10-23, 04:11 PM
Actions for IC post #62. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25893998&postcount=62)

Reaction and saves rolled in OOC post #128 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25893967&postcount=128)

Naraga attacks with his quarterstaff (action) and unarmed strike (bonus action), then moves 50 feet past the first ettin, towards where the second one was seen disappearing.

Quarterstaff attack: [roll0]

Quarterstaff damage: [roll1](bludgeoning)

Bonus action unarmed attack: [roll2]

Bonus action unarmed damage: [roll3](bludgeoning)
Wara moves up to the ettin and attacks, using rolls previously made in OOC post #119 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25892383&postcount=119) and reproduced here:

Gore attack: (1d20+8)[19]
Advantage: (1d20+8)[12]

If the gore hits, the ettin is subject to Trampling Charge (see below).

Gore damage (piercing): (3d8+6)[18]

Trampling Charge:

Bonus action stomp attack (if applicable): (1d20+8)[13]
Advantage (due to prone): (1d20+8)[13]

Stomp damage (bludgeoning): (3d10+6)[23]

JNAProductions
2023-10-24, 11:33 AM
[roll0] Strength save
[roll1] Constitution save

truemane
2023-10-25, 10:52 PM
I'll give Irides one more night, and update tomorrow.

Millstone85
2023-10-26, 05:12 PM
I'll give Irides one more night, and update tomorrow.Thank you and sorry. I have a head cold. :smallfrown:

truemane
2023-10-27, 03:05 PM
Oh crap, those suck.

I didn't get an update done yesterday, so I'm in no position to judge.

Tonight for sure!

truemane
2023-10-28, 12:07 AM
Couple notes:
-Aeon took down the Ettin. So Laughter, Irides, and Nibbles, if you want to Move closer to Ettin 2, please feel free to do so. If you can get close enough to make an attack, you can keep your rolls. Irides, you were in range so I transferred the Guiding Bolt for you. You're welcome to move as well, if you like.

-Nibbles, take a look at the map when you can. I have your token tucked in a little crevice there at the corner of the house. Feel free to move from there and take whatever action you like. You're not near enough anything to stab it, though, I don't think.

NontheistCleric
2023-10-28, 12:10 AM
Deflection reaction for first ball: [roll0]

Truemane, not sure if you saw this question the first time, but do the prone and poisoned effects apply if the attack is reduced to 0 damage (which it was this time)?

Dex save 1: [roll1]

Con save 1: [roll2]

Dex save 2: [roll3]

Con save 2: [roll4]

Okay, looks like Naraga is falling. He would have been at the first ettin's shoulder height, or thereabouts... is that high enough to take falling damage?

truemane
2023-10-28, 12:12 AM
Right, sorry. If you negate the damage, you negate the riders.

EDIT: Ettin would be about 10 feet high. So maybe 8 feet at the shoulder? So I think no falling damage.

NontheistCleric
2023-10-28, 12:15 AM
Is the dung ball small enough for Naraga to catch and throw back at the ettin (and if it is, what damage dice should I roll)?

Also, is the 'lose object interaction' effect in effect with these dung balls?

JNAProductions
2023-10-28, 12:22 AM
Having a touch of trouble accessing the map.

Bobthewizard
2023-10-28, 06:14 AM
Since Aeon dropped the Ettin, he'll use the rest of his movement and a BA dash to get closer to Ettin #2. I moved him on the map.

JNAProductions
2023-11-02, 07:23 PM
That's 14+24=38 damage!

I don't think we'll need that advantage, unless the Ettin is QUITE beefy!

NontheistCleric
2023-11-02, 09:40 PM
Actions for IC post #71. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25899668&postcount=71)

Naraga deflects one dung ball and gets hit by the other (rolls in OOC post #136 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25896375&postcount=136)), falling prone and getting poisoned. No word on the size of the projectile, so I'll just save my ki there...

He stands up from prone, uses part of his remaining movement to move behind the southwest bit of wall, then uses Hands of Healing on himself for 5 HP (rolled in OOC post #143 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25899655&postcount=143))
Wara takes the Dash action and movement for a total of 80', closing with the second ettin. I'm not sure if he can actually get through that little gap in the wall to be in melee range.
I seem to have lost control of the Wara token again. He should be as close to the second ettin as he can get with the 80' of movement.

NontheistCleric
2023-11-02, 09:41 PM
Curses, botched the Hand of Healing roll.

Hand of Healing: [roll0]