PDA

View Full Version : All prestige class build

Jackaccount
2023-09-07, 11:02 PM
I wanted to try making a character entirely out of prestige classes, this is what I came up with:

Edit: I misread something for my initial build, I saw "casts spells just as a bard does." And thought that included the casting list, it did not. So here's a build that actually works.

Race: human (any subrace will do)

Classes: human paragon 3 (or something like tiefling, depending on how strict your interpretation of human is for the dragonmark.),
Cyre scout 10,
Spymaster 7.

Feats: least dragonmark (mark of making),
Skill focus (bluff),
Lesser dragonmark,
Greater dragonmark,
The rest are the player's choice.

What I leant:
Choose your second class first. You're gonna need to be a racial paragon for your first 3 levels and getting the right class skills are super important. The list of classes you can qualify for at level 4 is pretty short and those will set the tone for the rest of your build. Also, most prestige classes are either 5 or 10 levels long, so keep the odd leveled ones in mind if you need to fill in a gap. Let me know what you think below!

Alternatively you could find a prestige class that allows you to sacrifice normal class levels such as blackguard and go something like blackguard 10, grey guard 10. But you still have to be a paladin for over ten levels so I don't consider that to count.

Condé
2023-09-08, 01:33 AM
By Reading the title I thought it was going to be a build with every prc in it.
Liké a 300+ level build or something...

But hey what you came up with is way better. I really liké the Idea.

Were you aiming for something in particular with this Idea?

Curbludgeon
2023-09-08, 01:40 AM
I thought species paragon classes weren't especially considered prestige classes, but might be wrong. Otherwise there are a few 2-3rd level entries based on desired amount of exploitation.

bekeleven
2023-09-08, 01:44 AM
I once sent out to optimize a "human commoner" build with the rules including that the character was a human, started as a commoner, and couldn't take levels in any other base class. You're right that getting to your first class prerequisites was the hardest part, especially since I couldn't take favored in guild for other reasons.

IIRC most builds I considered began with the stub of commoner 1/Human Paragon 3/Ravager 1. Ravager was easy to qualify, had a better chassis than commoner, and when I broke the oath and used magic items again I still got the BAB and saves from it.

Metastachydium
2023-09-08, 04:07 AM
I once sent out to optimize a "human commoner" build with the rules including that the character was a human, started as a commoner, and couldn't take levels in any other base class. You're right that getting to your first class prerequisites was the hardest part, especially since I couldn't take favored in guild for other reasons.

IIRC most builds I considered began with the stub of commoner 1/Human Paragon 3/Ravager 1. Ravager was easy to qualify, had a better chassis than commoner, and when I broke the oath and used magic items again I still got the BAB and saves from it.

Commoner's one true use is Commoner 1/Survivor 5/Whatever Else That Doesn't Ask For BAB X. It's stupid and I love it.

H_H_F_F
2023-09-08, 04:46 AM
First, as noted, paragon classes aren't prestige classes.

Second, this particular build doesn't work as presented. Halfling Paragon 3 can't meet the skill requirements of celebrant of sharess, and without further support celebrant of sharess doesn't have access to summon monster. So this "all prc" build has one non-prc class and 2 prcs it doesn't qualify for.

If you count paragon classes as PRCs for this excersice, you'd have an easier time qualifying for stuff with a half-elf or a half-orc, that can stack 6 levels of paragon classes through divided ancestry.

Edit:

Also, forgot to mention - but the easiest way of actually having only PRCs is through any race that can qualify for one with racial hit dice.

Inevitability
2023-09-08, 05:39 AM
I think there's a fun argument to make that if you're a human with two flaws, you can get 3 feats before having to select your first class, and then retroactively use the rebuilding rules to put Forsaker in place of that class. You can't do this at the instant of character creation because you select class and race at the same time, but:

You can also use this method to trade out (or add in) prestige
class levels, though if you want to take levels in a prestige class
that’s new to your character, you must be able to demonstrate
that he can still qualify for it using what he has gained from his
remaining class levels.

This sure implies that if you have one level, and you can can qualify for a PrC with zero class levels, you get to swap out that level (1/5th of your total levels rounded up) for a level in that PrC.

So commoner 1 who immediately rebuilds into Forsaker isn't quite an 'all PrC' build, but it can be arrived at in a fully legal manner.

ciopo
2023-09-08, 05:47 AM
my favourite "all prc" method of entry is looping with kensai 8 Instill. apprentice-mentor (DMG2) optional

Just background that you're from a long line of kensai, with a tradition of kensai'ing passed on from father to son since many generations ago.

and there you are, able to enter one of those PRC whose only prerequisites is BAB or BASE SAVES at level 1, narrate "and on your initiation day, when you had to face the trials of adulthood, your father instilled you with his power"

granted, not that many PrC with only those prerequisites, but they are out there. I like warshaper 4/ kensai 8 + whatever 8 the most, in this regard. You can 5/10/5 warshaper/kensai/X if you like finishing PrC I guess

Korahir
2023-09-08, 08:45 AM
My favorite is lesser drow kinslayer 5/assassin 10/kinslayer 5. Requires 2 flaws and worshipping an elder evil for a vile bonus feat at level 1.

Inevitability
2023-09-08, 08:52 AM
My favorite is lesser drow kinslayer 5/assassin 10/kinslayer 5. Requires 2 flaws and worshipping an elder evil for a vile bonus feat at level 1.

That still doesn't work right? You only have 3 feats before HD then, and you can't use your 1 HD feat to enter because you're getting that from the class you're planning on entering.

Korahir
2023-09-08, 09:18 AM
That still doesn't work right? You only have 3 feats before HD then, and you can't use your 1 HD feat to enter because you're getting that from the class you're planning on entering.

You are right. Missed that but there is a solution: use the adaptation section and change kinslayer from drow to orc. Frostblood Orc with 2 flaws and worshipping elder evil has all 4 prerequisite feats before entering the class.

Anthrowhale
2023-09-08, 09:29 AM
Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale 3/Tainted Spellcaster(Dragon#302) 2/Ur-Priest 4/Shaper of Form 1/?? provides an effective opening.

Shaper for Form 1 allows you to change your race to human, discarding racial hit dice. Tainted Spellcaster has a special rule which says you can preferentially lose levels of Tainted Spellcaster even though it's not the last level taken.

The Ur-Priest requirements of Fort+3/Will+3 self-qualify and the feat requirements of Iron Will and Spell Focus[Evil] can be met with a visit to the Otyugh hole and a feat slot. The skill requirements are meetable at level 5.

Shaper of Form requires the ability to cast 6 transformation spells, which is easily met by Ur-Priest. The craft requirements are also meetable at level 5. Great Fortitude and Spell Focus[Transmutation] are two more feats required for 3 total, which you have via the human bonus feat + level up feats. Any other bonus feat race works, as does Unsheltered Halfling.

Jackaccount
2023-09-08, 10:15 AM
Second, this particular build doesn't work as presented. Halfling Paragon 3 can't meet the skill requirements of celebrant of sharess, and without further support celebrant of sharess doesn't have access to summon monster. So this "all prc" build has one non-prc class and 2 prcs it doesn't qualify for.

Darn, I missed the part where celebrant of Sharess didn't get the right spells. Fixed.

Jackaccount
2023-09-08, 11:26 AM
Were you aiming for something in particular with this Idea?

Nothing in particular, I just wanted to see if I could.

loky1109
2023-09-08, 01:33 PM
Warfordged Survivor.
Warfordged is construct. Conctructs have no good saves, you qualify with 1st HD and trade it with 1st class level.

Gorthawar
2023-09-08, 01:56 PM
Paladin10/WarriorSkald10 can turn into Blackguard 11/WarriorSkald10 when hitting level 21. Other combinations with Blackguard work but WS has similar feat requirements to BG and easy skill reqs for a Harmonious Knight ACF Paladin.

Prime32
2023-09-08, 03:29 PM
Paladin10/WarriorSkald10 can turn into Blackguard 11/WarriorSkald10 when hitting level 21. Other combinations with Blackguard work but WS has similar feat requirements to BG and easy skill reqs for a Harmonious Knight ACF Paladin.
A Paladin 5/Shadowbane InquisitorCAdv 6 automatically meets the prereqs for blackguard, and SI levels count as Fallen Paladin levels so at their next level they can immediately become a Shadowbane Inquisitor 6/Blackguard 6.

The most popular class among sharns (a monster which casts as both a sorcerer and a favored soul) is mentioned to be Mystic Theurge, which they qualify for without any other class levels.

Buufreak
2023-09-08, 03:33 PM
A Paladin 5/Shadowbane InquisitorCAdv 6 automatically meets the prereqs for blackguard, and SI levels count as Fallen Paladin levels so at their next level they can immediately become a Shadowbane Inquisitor 6/Blackguard 6.

The most popular class among sharns (a monster which casts as both a sorcerer and a favored soul) is mentioned to be Mystic Theurge, which they qualify for without any other class levels.

I came for this build, but grey guard.

Frostmoon
2023-09-08, 04:18 PM
A Defiant works the exact same way as the Blackguard when it comes to exchanging class levels, so there's another option.

Still, I've always found the idea of a non-monster build with absolutely no base class levels fascinating. I'm really glad you started this thread. :D

loky1109
2023-09-08, 04:33 PM

You should have 11+ levels of paladin to convert them into levels of blackguard.

And nobody names Defiant?

liquidformat
2023-09-08, 11:34 PM

Defiant is a PRC from Planar handbook

Clause
2023-10-04, 12:01 AM
1,dragonshinenanigan kobolds can take rainbow savant and or mindbender at fisrt level.

2, a human can be a church inquisitor taking ¨favoredi in the guild¨ feat in a organisation (nightsongs or Pelor’s Shadow Guard, i think) and can go in sacred exorcist. 10 +10

3, maiden of pain 10, scourge maiden 10

4, half orc, half orc paragon 3/ orc paragon 3/ stoneblessed(dwarf)3/dwarf paragon 3/ X 8

5, paladin 20, can be transformed in ronin 10/blackguard 10

Crake
2023-10-04, 01:28 AM
You should have 11+ levels of paladin to convert them into levels of blackguard.

They literally say in their post that SI counts as fallen paladin levels, so 5+6 =11?

Inevitability
2023-10-04, 02:45 AM
1,dragonshinenanigan kobolds can take rainbow savant and or mindbender at fisrt level.

2, a human can be a church inquisitor taking ¨favoredi in the guild¨ feat in a organisation (nightsongs or Pelor’s Shadow Guard, i think) and can go in sacred exorcist. 10 +10

3, maiden of pain 10, scourge maiden 10

4, half orc, half orc paragon 3/ orc paragon 3/ stoneblessed(dwarf)3/dwarf paragon 3/ X 8

5, paladin 20, can be transformed in ronin 10/blackguard 10

1, 2, and 3 don't work because you can't have 4 skill points before taking your first HD. That Hit Die is what gives you the skill points!

5 doesn't work because ronin doesn't let you trade in paladin levels, it lets you trade in samurai levels. Someone did post a similar build with Shadowbane Inquisitor upthread.

loky1109
2023-10-04, 03:14 AM
They literally say in their post that SI counts as fallen paladin levels, so 5+6 =11?

It's true. My bad.

ShurikVch
2023-10-04, 12:34 PM
To truly make an "All prestige class build", it's possible to take afflicted Lycanthrope, use their lycathropic HD to qualify for PrC, and - several levels later - use Break Enchantment to remove lycanthropy...

Prime32
2023-10-04, 06:27 PM
To truly make an "All prestige class build", it's possible to take afflicted Lycanthrope, use their lycathropic HD to qualify for PrC, and - several levels later - use Break Enchantment to remove lycanthropy...What are their stats before they were bitten by a lycanthrope though? A PC replacing their 1 racial Hit Die with class levels comes at character creation and is non-optional.

ShurikVch
2023-10-04, 07:08 PM
What are their stats before they were bitten by a lycanthrope though? A PC replacing their 1 racial Hit Die with class levels comes at character creation and is non-optional.
In case of 2 HD Humanoid - class level is optional

InvisibleBison
2023-10-04, 09:24 PM
In case of 2 HD Humanoid - class level is optional

Sure, but is it really an all prestige class build if it has racial hit dice as well? It seems to me that the appeal of the concept is finding a way to sneak into prestige classes via wacky exploits, and allowing RHD means that's not really necessary.

Buufreak
2023-10-04, 09:45 PM
Sure, but is it really an all prestige class build if it has racial hit dice as well? It seems to me that the appeal of the concept is finding a way to sneak into prestige classes via wacky exploits, and allowing RHD means that's not really necessary.

Agreed. If this was the case, you just go ancient gold dragon X/ whateverthehellyouwant Y. Not nearly as elegant.

ShurikVch
2023-10-05, 03:59 AM

Agreed. If this was the case, you just go ancient gold dragon X/ whateverthehellyouwant Y. Not nearly as elegant.
Reincarnate (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm)(/Wish/Miracle/Major Ritual from Savage Species) into 1 HD race when you're already qualifying for a PrC (even sans the "lost" HD)?