PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Can a Vow of Poverty character have Chi items having the maximun Items allowed?

H.N.i.C.
2023-09-11, 11:35 AM
I have a character with The Vow of Povery and is a Chi Mancer (I created) [ Female Asian Character] that uses Chi and dealing with Spirts,. so with 3 times Gord (watersking), Prayer beads (Holy Symbol) and Nun Monk clothing, that is infused with Chi energy with those items? As a Chi Mancer can create Chi items (WARLOCK - Imbue Item ), that has her Chi Items she has, Gord (Cantrips: 0-lvl Create Water, 0-lvl Transform liquid, a Spirit of Alcohol {Fine- summond onto a Plum leaf} 5-lvl Permanacey. [4 Chi pts.] 1Chi point to replentish ), Prayer Beads (Cognizance "Crystals"- Wooden Beads [15] as a chain [1 Chi pt./ 15 pts.] ), and Nun Monk Clothing (Cantrips: 0-lvl Clean, 0-lvl Freshen, 0-lvl Mend, 5-lvl Permanceny [4 Chi points] ), As there are in with the limits of Vow of Povery restictions and they are NOT Magic Items (Chi infused - and they ONLY work with her),. Is that a Playable, as my G.M. is interested, he is fair but he wants to know as this is NOT a Magic Item and it is with the realm of Vow of Povery by only having 3 times ( Gord, Beads and Clothing ).?

H.N.i.C.
2023-09-11, 03:03 PM
and I made a Mistake the Gord was 8 Chi points and the Nun Monk Clothing was 8 Chi points [1 chi point / level and 1 point for a 1 HD Spirit ]. .... So anything? ....

aimlessPolymath
2023-09-11, 04:13 PM
I'm not familiar with the class you're referring to, so I can't give an actual hard answer- I can just give some general guidelines.

Vow of Poverty has the following limitations:

Special
To fulfill your vow, you must not own or use any material possessions, with the following exceptions: You may carry and use ordinary (neither magic nor masterwork) simple weapons, usually just a quarterstaff that serves as a walking stick. You may wear simple clothes (usually just a homespun robe, possibly also including a hat and sandals) with no magical properties. You may carry enough food to sustain you for one day in a simple (nonmagic) sack or bag. You may carry and use a spell component pouch. You may not use any magic item of any sort, though you can benefit from magic items used on your behalf—you can drink a potion of cure serious wounds a friend gives you, receive a spell cast from a wand, scroll, or staff, or ride on your companion's ebony fly. You may not, however, "borrow" a cloak of resistance or any other magic item from a companion for even a single round, nor may you yourself cast a spell from a scroll, wand, or staff. If you break your vow, you immediately and irrevocably lose the benefit of this feat. You may not take another feat to replace it.

Having a character in the party who has taken a vow of poverty should not necessarily mean that the other party members get bigger shares of treasure! An ascetic character must be as extreme in works of charity as she is in self-denial. The majority of her share of party treasure (or the profits from the sale thereof) should be donated to the needy, either directly (equipping rescued captives with gear taken from their fallen captors) or indirectly (making a large donation to a temple noted for its work among the poor). While taking upon herself the burden of poverty voluntarily, an ascetic recognizes that many people do not have the freedom to choose poverty, but instead have it forced upon them, and seeks to better those unfortunates as much as possible.

Broadly, I would say the bolded sentence restricts you from wielding anything that is defined as a 'magic item'- it's not a matter of 'how many' items you have, it's a matter of not using magic items, period. If you have the ability to create 'true' magic items (via item creation feats, since you're referencing the Imbue Item ability), those would still be forbidden.

A rough approximation is 'if you own property worth more than 1 sp, you're breaking the vow.' + 'all treasure you receive should be donated to charity'. (spell component pouch and holy symbols aside).

However, if your custom class functions via 'investing' power in items to cause them to become magic as long as you own the item (i.e. if your items are essentially class features that function by giving you 'granted items'), that seems... reasonable to allow without breaking the vow, under the argument that they don't count as 'real' magic items.