2007-12-08, 06:22 PM
New comic is up.

WonderJason
2007-12-08, 06:24 PM
Awesome.

As always.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-12-08, 06:25 PM
This is another of those "HaHA!" moments. Splendid as always, Mr. Burlew!:smallbiggrin:

KBF
2007-12-08, 06:27 PM
Thank you for the double comic, Rich. Worth the wait!

I prefer "the Azure City Underground," myself.

Fenix
2007-12-08, 06:28 PM
Monty Python reference once again, hurray !

Lord Herman
This strip is full of funny!

Great work, Giant!

Klaz Eidron
Meh, the gag at the end is kind of cliche.

Fenrirs Ragnarok
2007-12-08, 06:29 PM
They really should just go with "The Resistance" -- simple and stylish.

StickMan
2007-12-08, 06:29 PM
Meh, the gag at the end is kind of cliche.

And awesome.

rankrath
2007-12-08, 06:30 PM
Sweet. Well, now we know what Haely's up to. But where's Belkar?

Iranon
The jokes in the end are a little old... but the title alone makes up for it :)

One thing that has me worried: Where is the Belkster? Too sick to at least taunt a hobgoblin by now?

gatitcz
Where's Belkar? Is he resisting, too? Or is he stuck with Roy's body, unable to take out his frustrations by killing hobgoblins?

ETA: Heh. Beaten to it. By a few seconds :)

PhantomFox
2007-12-08, 06:32 PM
For some reason this reminded me of a Monty Python sketch. Sill is very funny, irregardless.

Oracle_Hunter
2007-12-08, 06:32 PM
Viva La Resistance (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LaResistance)!

I was kind of hoping that Haley would have a makeover too... or maybe blew a feat to become proficient in Greatsword. I gotta say the picture of Haley with a Greatsword was awesome... though maybe Greatswords (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.BFS) make everything more awesome? :smallbiggrin:

Laurellien
2007-12-08, 06:33 PM
Haha! A great comic as always giant, keep it up.

coppro
Knowing Belkar, he's probably found a way around it. Like setting traps. He's a ranger, and if he sets a trap, he doesn't deal any damage - lethal or otherwise.

Aerysil
Yay!

I didn't think of Haley starting a resistance movement!

Then again, I didn't think there would be any humans left to make slaves of, much less any that would resist.

Then again, it IS a big city, why wouldn't people have disappeared into their secret tunnels and walk-in closets to hide?

Then again, I'm done.

Yay!

Jher'c Kelborn
2007-12-08, 06:35 PM
Huh... Somehow I wasn't expecting Haley to join/start a resistance...

Vulion
2007-12-08, 06:37 PM
God, I love this comic!

Rich=COMEDY GOD!!!

Tussy the Druid
2007-12-08, 06:38 PM
Those hob gobs had me going with their joke for a while too.

Oracle_Hunter
2007-12-08, 06:39 PM

See, sometimes the Tinfoil Hat Alliance does pick the right horse. :smallbiggrin:

Though I secretly think the Powers That Be allow us to win occasionally, only to make our defeats sting that much more. Yes, it's all a cosmic game of cat and mouse.

Jher'c Kelborn
2007-12-08, 06:40 PM
Yay!

Then again, I didn't think there would be any humans left to make slaves of, much less any that would resist.

Then again, it IS a big city, why wouldn't people have disappeared into their secret tunnels and walk-in closets to hide?

Then again, I'm done.

Yay!

Dang, ninja'd!

Raiser Blade
2007-12-08, 06:40 PM
Nice comic. Viva la revolution!

Vectner
2007-12-08, 06:42 PM
Yeah! Haley!

Szilard
2007-12-08, 06:42 PM
The rebel alliance:smallbiggrin:

jmucchiello
2007-12-08, 06:43 PM
And awesome.

No, just meh. Guess I was hoping for more the first time we saw Haley again.

bird2234
2007-12-08, 06:44 PM
Great new comic, Giant!

<Laughs> Name notwithstanding...

David Argall
2007-12-08, 06:44 PM
Where's Belkar? Is he resisting, too? Or is he stuck with Roy's body, unable to take out his frustrations by killing hobgoblins?

Since Belkar can stray a mile from Roy, he can be most anywhere in the city with only a little trouble. So Belkar may be fine at this time.
Of course, not being able to kill anybody except mere zombies and other undead is not what he would call fine.

Now I would still argue that there should be no resistance, not with a lich who just loves killing and a cleric around also able to create zombies. They would just go around killing humans until they got the resistance by accident.
But we don't want our hero cowering in a basement for a few months, however practical that may be. We want her doing something heroic, however impractical.
Still, it would be best if we came up with some excuse for our lich not to do what he would consider good policy and fun.

In any case, glad to see the strip.

Rogue 7
2007-12-08, 06:47 PM
Thank you for the double comic, Rich. Worth the wait!

I prefer "the Azure City Underground," myself.

I'd have to call them "The Subway" if they went with that.

Awesome comic as ever, Giant.

Voidhawk
2007-12-08, 06:48 PM
Oh man! Another brilliant offering!

"Resisting people other than me!"
I reckon Haley might have worked out what Roy has been dealing with all this time :smalltongue:

Fiery Diamond
2007-12-08, 06:49 PM
This comic is pure win. "But you said the hobgoblins are the true slaves. Does that mean..."

- Fiery Diamond

Aethir
2007-12-08, 06:49 PM
Love the Harrison Ford comment.

Brilliant strip overall.

Kigganaku
2007-12-08, 06:51 PM
"Forgot to mention. Whenever you start to whip an elderly, there's a 60% chance that some sort of hero will show up and stop you."

Classic, just span-freaking Classic.

Lyinginbedmon
2007-12-08, 06:52 PM
If it hasn't been said already, I'm certain it'll be said many more times after now:

No-one expects the Azure Resistance!

Max_Sinister
Yeah! It was kind of a wait, but with a comic like this, who can be angry?

Just hope the resistance isn't always that ineffective. Hm, is this a flashback, or what else did Haley do in the last months? The other resistance members look a bit green... but generally, a great idea. With hindsight, I have to wonder why I hadn't the idea myself, it's so obvious.

@Iranon: Belkar is still allowed to hurt people. Could even work - he brings them down to a few HPs, someone else finishes them. He just has to watch that he doesn't kill the hobs with the first stab.

Dorizzit
Oh gods, that was funny. Another true classic, as usual.

Mad Scientist
2007-12-08, 06:54 PM
I love Haley's new black armor. Very chic.

Bernemer
2007-12-08, 06:55 PM
Nice one, of course.

Yet, it does leave a few important items unanswered.

As this group of Haley's seem to have been active for a while already, how could they survive in an occupied city for all this time as some kind of underground movement if they are unable to even just agree on a NAME for their group? (Especially if you consider the importance of names for the survival of characters in fantasy stories in general and even more so in OotS...)
As some others already pointed out: Where is the Belkster and where is whatever remained of Roy's body? If he's around, why isn't he around with Haley's group?
Where is Zykon and what is he up to?
What ever happened to O-Chul?
Do the Twelve Southern Gods [or the Northern ones, or, well, whichever] have any plans on how to save their, pardon my English, celestial buttocks, with regard to the progressive damage to the Snarl's prison?
What about the Linear Guild? What are they up to?
What about Celia? Does she have anything to do with Roy's potential resurrection, whenever that might come?
And last but not least: What about the extraplanar EVIL guys who know about the gates in general due to Sabine's plane shift-trip in cartoon No. 380?

vivi
2007-12-08, 06:59 PM
Awesome! Haley is in the resistance!

Klose_the_Sith
2007-12-08, 07:00 PM
Anybody who doesn't think that this is the greatest webcomic in recorded history should leave. Right now.

GIANT!!!!!!!!! YOU RULE!!!!!!!!! HUGE THUMBS UP FROM YOUR AUSSIE FANBASE!!!!!!!!!!!

mause
2007-12-08, 07:02 PM
Oh gods, that was funny. Another true classic, as usual.

yeah it's been a while since I laughed so hard for so many time

Bernemer
2007-12-08, 07:03 PM
If it hasn't been said already, I'm certain it'll be said many more times after now:

No-one expects the Azure Resistance!

Uhm... no.

I guess it's more along the line of...

"Bah! Sapphire Resistance... SPLITTERS!
"I thought we were the Sapphire Resistance?"
"No! We're the Azure City Resistance!"
"By the way - wat ever happened to the Sapphire Resistance?"
"Sitting over there..."
[chorus]: "SPLITTER!"

sun_tzu
2007-12-08, 07:11 PM
What I find interesting is that Haley is apparently finding herself in a more heroic role than usual. I mean, she's always been "one of the good guys" (though I've suspected for a while she's Chaotic Neutral. Never was sure), and one could argue there's still some degree of self-interest in what she's doing...But even so, it seems her current actions are more heroic than before. I mean, that "you're the real slaves here" speech alone...

ElanROCKS
2007-12-08, 07:13 PM
Sweet! It's really funny, as usual. Love the "Resistance" gag.

El_Frenchie
2007-12-08, 07:15 PM
Funny how the ones following her seem to originate from the different military "classes" of Azure City. A paladin, a ninja and a "commoner" soldier. Redshirts? I'd like to think we'd get their names, but I doubt it somehow :smallfrown:

Ah, and if they prevent their deaths by revealing their names, I can definitely see the hobboes quoting the Belkster: "Stupid running gags!"

NeonRonin
2007-12-08, 07:23 PM

Well, she IS Chaotic Good...

Ish.

OK, maybe the 'ish' can be dropped by now...

Good work as always, Rich. I'm just looking forward to when Roy does get brought back and Haley asks him, 'were we ever as bad as those nitpickers in The Resistance?' :smallbiggrin:

fwiffo
2007-12-08, 07:24 PM
I don't know what kind of potential difference the resistance really hopes to make with the current control Xykon has over the city (ohm).

Still, if Sapphire Rebels Azure City Liberation Underground Alliance Front wants to take a crack at it... well, they'll probably be dead by the time they finish saying who is it that just arrived to save the day.

Daen
2007-12-08, 07:24 PM
That was brilliant! Perfect role for Haley, leader of la resistance!

Hilarious as usual! :smallsmile:

WuanAnselm
2007-12-08, 07:34 PM
Heh. Haley in black leather :smallbiggrin:

Animefunkmaster
2007-12-08, 07:38 PM
Haley is very much awesome, called shot of the gods.

Mr. Mud
2007-12-08, 07:41 PM

Belkar/Roy's Body is probably in that big Gourd thing that the group was carrying. Either that or Belkar is drunk stealing stuff from the Hobo's... either way I'm not complaining :smallbiggrin:

Archangel Yuki
2007-12-08, 07:42 PM
"Forgot to mention. Whenever you start to whip an elderly, there's a 60% chance that some sort of hero will show up and stop you."

"Yeah, it really wears thin after a while."

Awesomeness.

DraPrime
2007-12-08, 07:43 PM
How the hell is that resistance group not yet dead?

Lumenadducere
2007-12-08, 07:45 PM
Heh, great stuff. It's good to see that Haley's been busy.

I wonder what they're going to do with the slaves once they're free, though? It's not like they'll be able to get 'em out of the city...

Megalomaniac2
2007-12-08, 07:46 PM
Great comic. I'm just gonna start things rolling here and proclaim that Resistance Girl is Miko somehow.

Also, the mustache guy looks a LOT like Uncle Myrtok.

Mute
2007-12-08, 07:52 PM
Dear Giant,

About the title of today's strip: bad, bad, BAD pun!!!

In other words, good job!

SteveMB
2007-12-08, 07:53 PM
Funny how the ones following her seem to originate from the different military "classes" of Azure City. A paladin, a ninja and a "commoner" soldier. Redshirts? I'd like to think we'd get their names, but I doubt it somehow :smallfrown:
Maybe if they're saving it for an emergency (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0472.html)....

selgnij
2007-12-08, 07:57 PM
How the're alive:

Its a big city, and theres a high level adventure involved. As long as she doesn't stay in one place long enough for the hobo's to have an organized response, Haley can handle pretty much anything they can throw at her. (Xycon and Redcloack, no matter how strong, can only be in 1 place at a time.)

I liked the "Personally, I think we should be more concerned about who gave them weapons," line.

warmachine
2007-12-08, 07:58 PM
I prefer the 'Rebel Alliance' joke, myself.

no one special
2007-12-08, 07:58 PM
not one of the best Rich has done, but still fairly good

Blaznak
2007-12-08, 08:01 PM
I loved the bit about them needing to whip the slaves to make the food evil. And then that they were just messing with the new guy. Very funny!

Later!

Bongos
So Hobgoblins eat Pineapples Oranges Rice and Limes? Who knew?

I guess they decided to ALL change to low cholesterol diets after this..

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0432.html

Pronounceable
Both sides are equally funny, although the hobs are a little bit more.

The Tygre
2007-12-08, 08:07 PM
SWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTT TTTTTTTTTTTTT!

Seriously, I've been reading Goblins all day and it's good to be back on home territory again, if you catch me. It's good to see Haley again, but I can't help but wonder about Belkar and the corpse. And as a further note, this was the first comic to make me laugh in I don't know how long! I mean really laugh, laugh out loud! Not giggle, chuckle, smile, titter, snicker, or what not, but really laugh. I haven't done that since...God, since 'I think I just had an evilgasm', I think. I guess villains just make me laugh.:smallbiggrin:

Keep up the good work, Giant!

dutch508
2007-12-08, 08:12 PM
Looks like the Azurian People's Front Crack Suicide Squad has just turned up!

Amon Hen
2007-12-08, 08:17 PM
Awesome strip as always! It's so good to see :haley: again, but where could :belkar: be?

Anyway, keep up the amazing work Giant!

PhallicWarrior
2007-12-08, 08:26 PM
Looks like someone took a level in Badass...

BURNhollywoodBURN
2007-12-08, 08:29 PM
1) Amazing comic. I loved the whipping part, I never got the entire purpose of whipping, and you just completely explained it in the comedic way that has kept OOTS going for over 500 strips.
2) Don't start rejoicing just yet. We only have 1/2 of our questions answered.

Also, I've noticed how this comic strip always seems to mess up climatic moments if they can be messed up. It's been taken for granted, but it's really interesting to notice something like that.

EntilZha
2007-12-08, 08:30 PM
Yeah! Haley Lives!! I'd feared the worst. And a resistance leader to boot!

CrystaCub
2007-12-08, 08:43 PM
Yay! a great way to interupt my studying...

I squealed once I saw Haley, I must have missed her much... I think I'm in favor of having their name stick with The Resistance, I just works. Though disfunctional I bet Haley's group will be victorious in saving some slaves. As for where's Belker I have only a few guesses.

1) He is under the influence of the MoJ, and is being taken care of by the non fighting part of the resistance.
2) He is off with another squad to attack other Hobgoblins, letting everyone else kill the hobgoblins while he plays duck duck goose and kills the zombies. There has to be Zombies marching around somewhere.
3) <Something so Unexpected has been entered here>

the_tick_rules
2007-12-08, 08:50 PM
so there is a resistance. it seems teamwork is utterly impossible in OOTS at all. maybe belkar is killing the hobs who wander outside the city walls.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-08, 08:56 PM
It seems teamwork is utterly impossible in OOTS at all.

Of course it's impossible. Good teamwork isn't funny.

Hood
2007-12-08, 08:56 PM
Welcome to the resistence! Competence is encouraged, but not required.

I'm also in the group wondering what happened to Belkar and Roy's body. Perhaps a catapult assault..?

Lucia
2007-12-08, 08:58 PM
HAHA Great double comic!! Both Hobos messing with the new one and the gut totally buying it!! Loved it!!

I hope this resistance alliance has a big plan, better than just popping up and starting killing hobos. If not, I expect the worst, with so many of those hobos around.

Awsome comic, actually rereading it all over again for the 2nd time! :smalltongue:

humanpylon
2007-12-08, 09:01 PM
So I guess when they rescue slaves the resistance membership grows. I would think the more resistance people there are running around the higher the odds of some getting captured and giving up the location of the headquarters.

Mojique
2007-12-08, 09:03 PM
The guy behind Haley... is it a hairless soulmate of Elan?

Mesfens
2007-12-08, 09:06 PM
Finally, Haley gets an art upgrade!

snoopy13a
2007-12-08, 09:08 PM
I think Belkar might have been drafted as the The Resistance's head chef. While everyone else gets to fight hobgoblins, he is stuck reheating meatloaf and complaining about a lack of spices.

The Linker
2007-12-08, 09:16 PM
@Iranon: Belkar is still allowed to hurt people. Could even work - he brings them down to a few HPs, someone else finishes them. He just has to watch that he doesn't kill the hobs with the first stab.

Nope, sorry. Can't cause lethal damage in a city. :smallwink:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0295.html

By D&D terms, lethal damage doesn't have to refer to damage that kills someone, just damage that brings 'em closer to death. :smallcool:

shot-bya-monk
2007-12-08, 09:29 PM
well done giant. yay hayley is back. i was starting to worry lol:smallfrown:

Green-Shirt Q
2007-12-08, 09:31 PM
BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHahahahahahahahahaha hhhaaaaa.....hehe......hahe.

[Please go easy on the huge font. ~Sheriff of Moddingham]

Hi-Freaking-larious! The timing is the most important factor of it all! The Giant freaking nailled it!

shylocxs
2007-12-08, 09:37 PM
But they aren't joking! Evil acts do make food taste better!

Thexare Blademoon
2007-12-08, 09:40 PM
Ok, splitting a whip with a blade is one thing, but with an arrow? That's one hell of a shot.

Draz74
2007-12-08, 09:40 PM
Finally, Haley gets an art upgrade!

Yeah ... let's hope it sticks (pun not intended). I want to see her and Elan together with this.

dont_ask
2007-12-08, 09:44 PM
Just a nitpick...
Where's the booty talisman?
Why didn't Xykon just zombify all the slaves?

dogmac
2007-12-08, 09:54 PM
New Clothes, Haley. Looking... er... demure, actually.

I love the idea that they have to put evil in their food. It makes so much sense. Am I the only one who is also trying to identify slaves?

Wonderful to see you back Haley. I've missed you so much! That arrow work was just beautiful.

KBF
2007-12-08, 09:56 PM
Wonderful to see you back Haley. I've missed you so much! That arrow work was just beautiful.

So many comments like this.... You all know Haley is a fictional character...
Right?

Zebasiz
2007-12-08, 09:57 PM
Just a crazy...out there thought.

While Belkar cannot deal Lethal damage inside the city. he CAN do Collateral damage. While "La Resistance" fights the Hobgobs and distracts them. Belkar can set fire to the grainery or what ever structure is nearby at the time to hinder Team Evil's lives.

Also: NICE comic. =D

Xenon
2007-12-08, 09:58 PM
hmm, well they were wearing Brown cloaks... why not call em the browncloaks?

jmucchiello
2007-12-08, 10:03 PM
Why didn't Xykon just zombify all the slaves?Because having slaves (and a resistance) gives a huge freakin' hobgoblin army something to do while he sits in the library researching the gates. He doesn't want to run a city, he wants the power from the gates. Same reason his bony face is not on the pennants flying around the city.

I'm disappointed because I'm still waiting for the answer to "why haven't Haley and Belkar tried to leave the city for the last 4 months and hook up with the rest of the group?" Leading a human resistance group should be pretty low on Haley's list of things to do. Especially when "prevent the destruction of the world" is closer to the top.
About the only rationale I can think of is, that since V's message spells can't reach her, Haley might believe she and Belkar are the only remaining survivors of the OOTS group. She doesn't know Xykon cast some spell across the whole city that blocks divinations into the city.

Klose_the_Sith
2007-12-08, 10:07 PM

While Belkar cannot deal Lethal damage inside the city. he CAN do Collateral damage. While "La Resistance" fights the Hobgobs and distracts them. Belkar can set fire to the grainery or what ever structure is nearby at the time to hinder Team Evil's lives.

Theres a lot to like about that theory, so long as it doesn't kill anyone

BigBooter
2007-12-08, 10:15 PM
Anybody who doesn't think that this is the greatest webcomic in recorded history should leave. Right now.

GIANT!!!!!!!!! YOU RULE!!!!!!!!! HUGE THUMBS UP FROM YOUR AUSSIE FANBASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen, Brother Aussie! Anyone who didn't laugh themselves silly should just leave and start their *own* web comic, so I can post nasty remarks on *their* forum! :smallwink:

While others may think the Python, Indiana references are cliche, or the 'I never grow tired of' alignment satrie, they just make me want to fall on the floor before the Giant-meister in another one of my "We're not worthy! We're not worthy!" moments... :smallbiggrin:

Personally, I always knew that the ever-awesome :haley: has the mark of leadership about her... she was just smart enough to let :roy: bear the brunt of it all, while he was around... just explaining to the neighbours my loud "Huzzah!!!" when I spied that green arrow severing the whip was a tad tricky... :smallwink:

"I'm pretty sure we should be more worried about who gave them weapons..." That hobgoblin leader is like a Redcloak-in-training... :smallbiggrin:

DrivinAllNight
2007-12-08, 10:23 PM
go Haley go, love the new look, and just where did the belkster go?

BigBooter
2007-12-08, 10:26 PM
So many comments like this.... You all know Haley is a fictional character...
Right?

Fictional...? What? Here I was thinking that OotS was a documentary, not a satire of D&D cliches... :smallwink:

Oh, now I am hurt... how will I ever woo :haley: away from :elan: if they aren't real? Oh, the pain, the pain... :smallbiggrin:

Boot Polisher of :haley:'s Sexy New Boots! Oooh, yeah, baby! :smallwink:

BigBooter
2007-12-08, 10:29 PM

I tend to agree... so much in :belkar:'s style, methinks...

:belkar: When in doubt, set something on fire

Chief Boot Polisher of :haley: Sexy New Boots!

BigBooter
2007-12-08, 10:34 PM
No, just meh. Guess I was hoping for more the first time we saw Haley again.

Guess you're right, dude... the webcomic *you* have going is *far* more entertaining, laugh-a-minute, chocked full of good ol' fashioned genre-encompassing satire... :smallwink:

Remind me again, how did *your* version of events go? They were so brilliant, my feeble mind has already forgotten how they went... perhaps you would also be so kind as to repost the link to that comic, and its forum? :smallbiggrin:

BigBooter
2007-12-08, 10:38 PM
Since Belkar can stray a mile from Roy, he can be most anywhere in the city with only a little trouble. So Belkar may be fine at this time.
Of course, not being able to kill anybody except mere zombies and other undead is not what he would call fine.

Now I would still argue that there should be no resistance, not with a lich who just loves killing and a cleric around also able to create zombies. They would just go around killing humans until they got the resistance by accident.
But we don't want our hero cowering in a basement for a few months, however practical that may be. We want her doing something heroic, however impractical.
Still, it would be best if we came up with some excuse for our lich not to do what he would consider good policy and fun.

In any case, glad to see the strip.

What's not fun about whipping human slaves? Zombies don't make any of those amusing noises when you hit them... :smallwink:

Besides, I bet two shiny copper pieces Xykon and, most likely, Redcloak, are way too bust for the mundane details... :xykon: with the rift issue, and :redcloak: offering fashion advice to his hobgoblin middle managers... :smallbiggrin:

Chief Boot Polisher of :haley: Sexy New Boots!

PegasusTreewalk
2007-12-08, 10:38 PM
Great comic again Giant!

:haley: Resisting someone OTHER than me?!?!

heh, :smallbiggrin:

hrak
2007-12-08, 10:48 PM
Once again...nice job

turkishproverb
2007-12-08, 10:50 PM
I'm disappointed because I'm still waiting for the answer to "why haven't Haley and Belkar tried to leave the city for the last 4 months and hook up with the rest of the group?" Leading a human resistance group should be pretty low on Haley's list of things to do. Especially when "prevent the destruction of the world" is closer to the top.
About the only rationale I can think of is, that since V's message spells can't reach her, Haley might believe she and Belkar are the only remaining survivors of the OOTS group. She doesn't know Xykon cast some spell across the whole city that blocks divinations into the city.

Another Explanation is that Belkar and Roy's body were captured, and she's trying to get, at least, the body back.

ref
2007-12-08, 10:56 PM
Interesting. Go, Haley, go!!

But I'm not sure Roy is gonna appreciate what she's doing...

Also: Mause, someone should have the "dual" of your avatar.

Damionte
2007-12-08, 11:15 PM
It's been a while since I've laughed at one of these comics. This one had me chuckling all the way through it.

Forealms
2007-12-08, 11:22 PM
I'm liking Sapphire Liberation Front myself, but that's me. That was absolutely excellent, Giant.

Also, anyone got the odds Haley would have to beat to cut the whip? Just wondering.

FujinAkari
2007-12-08, 11:28 PM
Also, anyone got the odds Haley would have to beat to cut the whip? Just wondering.

HUH?

*rereads*

Beat to cut?

Bitzeralisis
2007-12-08, 11:28 PM
The cliche disagreement over an impromptu name is always hilarious.

Tobimaro
2007-12-08, 11:39 PM

Maybe he's too busy watching his TEEVO? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0415.html) He has been distracted by trivial matters before.

But I wish to complement Rich on his latest comic. Loved the Monty Python reference and the slight nod to Star Wars with the "Rebel Alliance".

MReav
2007-12-08, 11:47 PM
I wonder if the guy with the blue moustache is a Sapphire Guard paladin that wasn't in the city when it fell (I largely say this because of the cape, and his use of the term "Sapphire", but I have nothing but a guess as other proof)

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-12-08, 11:49 PM
Haley got a new outfit! I guess she IS more Ninja than Pirate!

Arameus
2007-12-08, 11:51 PM
I really wonder where Roy's body is in all this... With Belkar somewhere, probably, but if he isn't there with Haley, and he isn't, then that really worries me!

Half-Minotaur Monk
2007-12-09, 12:10 AM
Thanks again for another rockin' strip Giant!!!:belkar: :belkar: :belkar: :belkar: :belkar: :belkar: :belkar:

Fozzie
2007-12-09, 12:16 AM
Excellent strip, Haley is rebelling as expected :smallsmile:
Congratulations on your work!
--F.

sihnfahl
2007-12-09, 12:16 AM
I really wonder where Roy's body is in all this... With Belkar somewhere, probably, but if he isn't there with Haley, and he isn't, then that really worries me!
But Belkar can't do anything on these raids. He can't kill anything while he's in AC.

GrayMatter
2007-12-09, 12:20 AM
Another Explanation is that Belkar and Roy's body were captured, and she's trying to get, at least, the body back.

Actually, in another thread discussing what Xykon's spell Cloister did (the one he cast with the gold headband, which was likely Dorukan's), it looks like that spell completely seals the area- nothing in or out.

Eogan
2007-12-09, 12:43 AM
Viva l'Underground Resistance Liberation Alliance!

GalaGalaxia
2007-12-09, 12:55 AM
What happened with the feet in frame #7? :wink:

Secret plot exposition? :tongue:

HOLEkevin
2007-12-09, 01:04 AM
Hey, the extra sized package of OotS goodness was nice! I always appreciate seeing that!

I hadn't thought about a resistance either, but it fits in and makes a lot of sense, so it was a good move. Also, I love evil banter. Mostly because real folks don't have alignments, I always wonder what people with that kind of restrictive worldview chat about, or do on the weekends, or buy each other for birthdays.

Lots of funny, lots of fun. (Though I am just as curious as everyone else where the sociopathic halfling Belkar has gotten to!)

CrystaCub
2007-12-09, 01:12 AM
What happened with the feet in frame #7? :wink:

Secret plot exposition? :tongue:

hehe, that is funny.. though now that I look some more, I noticed that in the 3rd to the last frame the Blue mustache guy's belt color changed and in the second to the last Frame the Cloaks disappear for a moment, returning for the last panel... *shrugs*

David Argall
2007-12-09, 01:17 AM
"why haven't Haley and Belkar tried to leave the city for the last 4 months and hook up with the rest of the group?" Leading a human resistance group should be pretty low on Haley's list of things to do. Especially when "prevent the destruction of the world" is closer to the top.

The most likely answer is that the spell physically keeps them in the city. Even if she and Belkar are the only survivors, the strategy of leaving the city immediately doubles combat strength and makes it at least possible to find a cleric to raise Roy. So she still has good reason to leave, if she can. It is possible to dream up reasons to stay, but on the face of it, the reason to stay is because she can't go.

Ishha
2007-12-09, 01:22 AM
Mabey belkar died already,like the oracle said.

Lira
2007-12-09, 01:46 AM
Woohoo! New comic! :smallbiggrin: And just in time for my birthday too!

It's great to see Haley again, and it's a relief to see she's doing fine and leading the Resistance. I like her new clothes/armor.

TheKnifeofTrust
2007-12-09, 01:47 AM
Oh man, that was unadulterated WIN. :smallbiggrin:

Antina
2007-12-09, 01:56 AM
I don´t know if it has been pointed out already:

But there is a little "painting"error in the second panel to the end.
Where did the capes go?

Blinking-Capes only usable while not worn hehe ;-)

Gitman00
2007-12-09, 01:56 AM
Minor spelling nitpick: Should be "Guerrillas in Their Midst".

Tia
2007-12-09, 02:18 AM
Yay, Haley is back! I missed her.

/ Tia

Blanth
2007-12-09, 03:05 AM
I wholly expect to see a "It is I, Belkar!" type reference in a forth coming strip.

/Listen very carefully, I will tell this background expository only once...

Alfryd
2007-12-09, 03:05 AM
Guerillas in Their Midst
Heh. That's slightly clever!

New comic is up.
Very good.

I am beginning to lose confidence in Haley's organisational acumen.

What's not fun about whipping human slaves? Zombies don't make any of those amusing noises when you hit them...
Well ...at least they're not eating the humans. That's a step up, right?

turkishproverb
2007-12-09, 03:09 AM
Well ...at least they're not eating the humans. That's a step up, right?

Give it time. They'll be eating them soon enough.

factotum
2007-12-09, 03:12 AM
Mostly because real folks don't have alignments, I always wonder what people with that kind of restrictive worldview chat about, or do on the weekends, or buy each other for birthdays.

Sorry, but only poor role-players treat an alignment as a straitjacket that restricts them to only doing certain things. An alignment is a guide to behaviour, not the be-all and end-all; in fact, you can see a perfect example in the strip, since both Belkar and Xykon are Chaotic Evil, yet they are not similar at all in personality. Same applies to Elan and Haley, both Chaotic Good.

Oh, and you might want to look up the Myers-Briggs personality test some time, which reckons everybody can be slotted into 16 "alignments"--companies actually use that thing to decide whether to hire people or not; scary, isn't it?

Yendor
2007-12-09, 04:32 AM
Roy's going to be pissed. First Durkon, Elan and Vaarsuvius get themselves a new villain, and now Haley's got a whole new adventuring party! What the hell is wrong with them?

Tundar
2007-12-09, 04:45 AM
Pretend you're Harrison Ford, bwa hahah!

And why do I get the urge to watch Life of Brian again :smallbiggrin:
All we lack is a guy selling strange snacks.

Neopolis
2007-12-09, 04:56 AM
As long as they're not the Judea's People Front...

Tordek
2007-12-09, 05:35 AM
I feel sorry for Belkar, he has to be going out of his nut! Trapped inside city walls for months, unable to harm anyone no matter what. I'm betting he's becoming very adept at luring hobs into traps and dangerous situations.

Lolzords
2007-12-09, 05:54 AM
I did a little cheer when I saw the green fletched arrow, hurrah, Haley!

RyQ_TMC
2007-12-09, 05:57 AM
Minor spelling nitpick: Should be "Guerrillas in Their Midst".

The dictionary says both forms are acceptable, so no nitpicking for you, mister:smallwink:

Yay, Haley! She is so grown-up and... rebellious and such. But where's Belkar? Where's my favourite homicidal, shoeless little bastard?

Dervag
2007-12-09, 06:30 AM
Such perfect Stickiness. Yay!

Regneva
2007-12-09, 06:40 AM
I'm afraid to say it but...
Oh well I'll say it.

Meh, filler,
:smallcool:

Arssanguinus
2007-12-09, 06:48 AM
Oh well I'll say it.

Meh, filler,

. .then don't say it.

Umbra
2007-12-09, 06:51 AM
I don´t know if it has been pointed out already:

But there is a little "painting"error in the second panel to the end.
Where did the capes go?

Blinking-Capes only usable while not worn hehe ;-)

That's kinda strange.

Kish
2007-12-09, 08:29 AM
Sorry, but only poor role-players treat an alignment as a straitjacket that restricts them to only doing certain things. An alignment is a guide to behaviour, not the be-all and end-all; in fact, you can see a perfect example in the strip, since both Belkar and Xykon are Chaotic Evil, yet they are not similar at all in personality. Same applies to Elan and Haley, both Chaotic Good.

Oh, and you might want to look up the Myers-Briggs personality test some time, which reckons everybody can be slotted into 16 "alignments"--companies actually use that thing to decide whether to hire people or not; scary, isn't it?
Thank you.

rickvoid
2007-12-09, 09:28 AM
hmm, well they were wearing Brown cloaks... why not call em the browncloaks?

If they do that, they have to run into an ootsified Malcolm Reynolds and his Crew. [/blatentfireflyfandom]

Great comic. :)

Ave
2007-12-09, 10:03 AM
Yay!

Yay!

She is Chaotic Good, perfect resistance material.

Jaltum
2007-12-09, 11:43 AM
Oh well I'll say it.

Meh, filler,

Yeah, I agree. I mean, all it does it... advance the plot, spell out how the hobgoblins conquest has been working, give us insight into the working of a "Usually Evil" society, reveal what Haley's been up to all this time and work in several jokes, in a double-size comic that could've easily been split up to cover two days.

Wait. What's the opposite of filler? I meant that.

drmike
2007-12-09, 12:29 PM
hehe, that is funny.. though now that I look some more, I noticed that in the 3rd to the last frame the Blue mustache guy's belt color changed and in the second to the last Frame the Cloaks disappear for a moment, returning for the last panel... *shrugs*

They're magical raven cloaks. There when you need them. Gone when you don't. ;)

I missed the feet in panel 7 as well. Guess I should be reading this on 3 hours of sleep.

heroe_de_leyenda
2007-12-09, 12:34 PM

Well, he can't kill people inside a city, so he should be someplace else...

Unless the king of Somewhere declared war to the Regent of Sameplace Else again. In that case going there might lead to trouble.

drmike
2007-12-09, 12:42 PM
Well, he can't kill people inside a city, so he should be someplace else...

Considering that it's really no longer a city, it may be a moot point.

Omicroncubed
2007-12-09, 12:55 PM
This is a good one.

Good job yet again :smallbiggrin:

brionl
2007-12-09, 01:06 PM
It's the People's Front for the Liberation of Azure City!

The_Chilli_God
2007-12-09, 01:13 PM
I can't believe that in one single panel I got the feeling of Monty Python, Star Wars, and Invader Zim coming through.
Simultaneously.

That shouldn't be theoretically possible, just saying.

sihnfahl
2007-12-09, 01:18 PM
Considering that it's really no longer a city, it may be a moot point.
Ah, but it IS a city. Granted, a city controlled by Hobgoblins, but a city nonetheless. Think Belkar would take the chance on a technical definition of 'city'?

:belkar:

Kill to keep from being bored and risk the MOJ going off...

... or don't do anything and be safe?

Alfryd
2007-12-09, 02:27 PM
She is Chaotic Good, perfect resistance material.
She might be, if she actually had notable leadership skills or an ability to coordinate effectively. We'll see.

...then don't say it.
That's right! We must strive to insulate Rich from any voice of dissension that might give the impression of fallibility on his behalf.

...both Belkar and Xykon are Chaotic Evil, yet they are not similar at all in personality.
By definition of sharing the same alignment, they have at least 2 things in common.
Actually, they're not terribly different, although Xykon is considerably more cerebral. They're both impulsive, careless, and derive pleasure chiefly from the torment and butchery of sentient beings en masse.

Kill to keep from being bored and risk the MOJ going off...
... or don't do anything and be safe?
There is nothing to prevent Belkar from inflicting nonlethal damage at a -4 penalty to attack.

Ha! Gotcha!

...they have to run into an ootsified Malcolm Reynolds and his Crew.
Jayne: Doc, yer sister's pitchin' a fit again.
River: REAVERS! ...THEY'RE ALL MADE UP OF RAGE!
Mal: Actually... I think that's the midget? He might be maybe blotting out other signals?

sihnfahl
2007-12-09, 03:21 PM
There is nothing to prevent Belkar from inflicting nonlethal damage at a -4 penalty to attack. Ha! Gotcha!

:belkar: Nonlethal... damage? What's the point, then!?

He didn't do it against Yokyok. Or any of the hobgoblins that came up the ladder (when he was in a perfect position to smack them on the head). Or the hobbos that chased him...

David Argall
2007-12-09, 04:15 PM
I'm liking Sapphire Liberation Front myself, but that's me. That was absolutely excellent, Giant.

Depending on unknown factors, pretty good or pretty poor.

By D&D rules, she needs the Ranged Sunder feat to cut it, so unless she made that dubious choice, she auto fails.

Her chance of hitting the whip is quite good. She is at least +13 vs about
+2 for the hob. Even with -4 for a light weapon, she is a huge favorite to outroll him and hit the whip.

Now she has to deal enough damage, which can be a problem. She gets only half damage trying a ranged sunder, and then you have to beat the hardness before you do any damage. Whip hardness is presumably 5, so that means she needs 12 points of damage to sunder the whip. Since your normal arrow does 1-8, 12 is not easy to achieve.
Not impossible. Assuming a strength bow, she gets to add a point or two for muscles, but she can't have a big strength. But if we put a little magic on the bow we can move the total up there pretty good. It's still probably a minority chance, but it is doable.

On the other hand, we are working under drama rules, which gives her +/-20 according to the needs of the plot. Since a hit here works well with the plot, she hits, and sunders.

Arssanguinus
2007-12-09, 04:35 PM
She might be, if she actually had notable leadership skills or an ability to coordinate effectively. We'll see.

That's right! We must strive to insulate Rich from any voice of dissension that might give the impression of fallibility on his behalf.

By definition of sharing the same alignment, they have at least 2 things in common.
Actually, they're not terribly different, although Xykon is considerably more cerebral. They're both impulsive, careless, and derive pleasure chiefly from the torment and butchery of sentient beings en masse.

There is nothing to prevent Belkar from inflicting nonlethal damage at a -4 penalty to attack.

Ha! Gotcha!

Jayne: Doc, yer sister's pitchin' a fit again.
River: REAVERS! ...THEY'RE ALL MADE UP OF RAGE!
Mal: Actually... I think that's the midget? He might be maybe blotting out other signals?

Define filler, please> Or don't use the word.

Sam de Cheese
2007-12-09, 05:13 PM
Hehe... Rebel alliance. That Burlew is so outrageous!:smallbiggrin:

factotum
2007-12-09, 05:36 PM

Xykon gets his kicks that way NOW, yes, but I don't believe he did so when he was alive.

SOD spoiler:

He seemed to take more pleasure in a "good" (or awful, as the case may be) cup of coffee than he did in wantonly killing. It was only once he lost the ability to taste the coffee that he was left only with the delight in killing people.

Even so, I don't believe he gets enjoyment in the same way as Belkar. Belkar's delight in killing seems to come primarily from the physical act of killing someone, and hearing their screams. Xykon seems to care more about causing mental harm to people than actually killing them outright, although he'll do that too if the people in question are in his way!

Adventurer
2007-12-09, 05:40 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Haley looks hot in black?

maxon
2007-12-09, 05:56 PM
Giggle

Yay - go Haley

Obscurity
2007-12-09, 08:06 PM
Oh well I'll say it.

Meh, filler,

Yeah, it wasn't so much what you said there, but the superior little smiley you put after it. That just makes me slightly ticked, more so because you're wrong. This isn't filler.

We find out that Haley is alive.

The situation in the city is expanded on.

It seems that Haley's gotten followers, and taken a level in badass, as well as founding the resistance.

It seems Xykon and Redcloak are unaware of the resistance, or too busy to do anything about it.

Not to mention, some good jokes - it's nice to see the various members of the party forced into 'Roy' roles due to his absence, and not being quite as good at it as he was.

I will repeat. Not filler. Plot advancement and exposition. And just to drive the final nail home:

Sequinox
2007-12-09, 08:29 PM
loved it! :smallbiggrin:

Kgw
2007-12-10, 12:31 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Haley looks hot in black?

I think Haley's latent bisexuality is agree with you :D

Sstoopidtallkid
2007-12-10, 01:01 AM
I wonder if Belkar is going to steal a goblin's whip and ? Those deal non-lethal damage, and have just enough screaming to satisfy him.

jmucchiello
2007-12-10, 02:17 AM
Guess you're right, dude... the webcomic *you* have going is *far* more entertaining, laugh-a-minute, chocked full of good ol' fashioned genre-encompassing satire... :smallwink:

Remind me again, how did *your* version of events go? They were so brilliant, my feeble mind has already forgotten how they went... perhaps you would also be so kind as to repost the link to that comic, and its forum? :smallbiggrin:What is your problem? People can't be disappointed with a comic? Excuse me for putting my opinion out there on the discussion thread for the comic in question. All the little winks and grins smileys don't make up for the unnecessary hostility of your response.

jmucchiello
2007-12-10, 02:21 AM
The most likely answer is that the spell physically keeps them in the city. Even if she and Belkar are the only survivors, the strategy of leaving the city immediately doubles combat strength and makes it at least possible to find a cleric to raise Roy. So she still has good reason to leave, if she can. It is possible to dream up reasons to stay, but on the face of it, the reason to stay is because she can't go. I though of that but dismissed it becauseI would think running a city requires folks to be able to come and go. Trade and such. Feeding all those hobgoblins means lots of food has to come into the city each day and each day the carts that brought that food in have to go back out the farms to bring more in again next week.Rich is usually good with details like that so I'm hoping for a different explanation.

tgva8889
2007-12-10, 02:22 AM
I thought that was pretty good. Not rofling hilarious, but it was up there.

Whipping for "evil flavor"? I loved that one.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else think Roy could scry, say, the remaining Gates and Xykon while he's in the sky?

Alfryd
2007-12-10, 05:23 AM
He didn't do it against Yokyok. Or any of the hobgoblins that came up the ladder (when he was in a perfect position to smack them on the head). Or the hobbos that chased him...
True, but it also didn't occur to him he could assault the elementals without triggering the Mark, that he'd picked up Evasion, or that he could use spell scrolls. (Or, for that matter, that there's nothing to stop him getting a mountable hunting dog as an Animal Companion.)

He might simply not be cognizant of the mechanics involved.

Even so, I don't believe he gets enjoyment in the same way as Belkar. Belkar's delight in killing seems to come primarily from the physical act of killing someone, and hearing their screams. Xykon seems to care more about causing mental harm to people than actually killing them outright, although he'll do that too if the people in question are in his way!
Again, this is because Xykon is more cerebral- he has enough of an understanding of humanoid psychology that he can appreciate mental torture as well as corporal punishment. On the occasions when Belkar has actually gained enough insight into someone's mindset to really twist the knife, he does so unfailingly- Regina, YokYok and Miko being cases in point.

In a way, actually, Belkar is even worse than Xykon, since Belkar is actively willing to harm or endanger himself solely for the pleasure of destroying others' lives.
What Xykon was once upon a time isn't really relevant.

Arssanguinus
2007-12-10, 07:10 AM
What is your problem? People can't be disappointed with a comic? Excuse me for putting my opinion out there on the discussion thread for the comic in question. All the little winks and grins smileys don't make up for the unnecessary hostility of your response.

YOur opinion with no exposition, no examples, and no meat.

Its like being asked about a movie, saying 'It sucked!" someone asking why and you saying. . "Well. . .because!!!"

DougTheHead
2007-12-10, 09:37 AM
A simultaneous reference to Monty Python and Star Wars... can't go wrong with that.:smallcool:

jmucchiello
2007-12-10, 09:49 AM
YOur opinion with no exposition, no examples, and no meat.I said the comic was 'meh', not bad, not good. I didn't say it sucked. There were parts that were funny. Some folks have expressed great pleasure from experiencing the parts that I thought were the most cliché.

Regardless there is no rule in this thread that someone give examples, exposition or even meat. And where is your crowning review of this comic? All you've done is critique other posts in this thread. When were you appointed the job of policing the discussion threads?

Oh, and if you don't know what filler is, try using the huge resource at your fingertips and look it up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_%28media%29).

Its like being asked about a movie, saying 'It sucked!" someone asking why and you saying. . "Well. . .because!!!"Sometimes things suck so badly that explaining why they suck is not worth the time it takes to organize your thoughts about it. I mean, if something is really, really bad, why would I waste my time framing a reasoned explanation of its suckitude? Better to expend as few words as possible on the subject in the hopes that you'll forget the movie as fast as possible. (This has no baring on the comic here. I'm referring to things that suck in general. Once again, I only said todays comic was 'meh'.)

Scutatus
2007-12-10, 10:45 AM
It's a Monty Python reference alright,but it's a Life of Brian reference, not a Spanish Inquisition or whatever other sketch people might be thinking of.

The (cleaned up) version of the actual sketch goes like this:

Brian: Are you the Judean People's Front?

Reg: Judean People's Front! (scoffs) We're the People's Front of Judea. Judean People's front, caw.

Brian: Can I join your group?

Reg: No.

Brian: I really hate the Romans. I do.

Reg: Oh yeah? How much?

Brian: A lot!

Reg: Right. You're in. Listen. The only people we hate more than the Romans are the Judean People's Front

PFJ: [together, nodding in agreement] Yeah.

Judith: [disgusted] Splitters.

Francis: And the Judean Popular Peoples’ Front.

PFJ: Oh yeah. Splitters.

Loretta: And the People’s Front of Judea.

PFJ: Splitters.

Reg: What?

Loretta: The People’s Front of Judea. Splitters.

Reg: We're the People’s Front of Judea.

Loretta: Oh. I thought we were the Popular Front.

Reg: People’s Front! [scoffs]

Francis: Whatever happened to the Popular Front, Reg?

Reg: He's over there.

[A single old man sits on a lower seat.]

PFJ: [To the old man.] SPLITTER!

Hehe. :D. Ok, maybe you had to be there. I loved the reference anyhow, both to that and (ahem) other sci-fi/fantasy genres. ;) Go Haley!

By the way, forming, organising and equiping a resistance movement (or even a party of resisting adventurers) is unlikely to be an overnight undertaking. Such a feat can take months. I suspect this is very much in the "present" and no flashback, regardless of whether this is their first fight or not. And to me it looks like it is.

Calemyr
2007-12-10, 10:52 AM
jmucchiello: The problem people have with your post is the use of the word filler, which means something entirely different from what you seem to think it does. Bland? Stale? Weak? Old, worn out jokes with a cliche punchline? All of these would have worked. We would have disagreed, but they wouldn't have offended anyone, as they are a matter of opinion.

Filler, if I may be perfectly blunt, is the act of a cartoonist pulling something from their nether regions for no reason other than to shut the masses up. Filler does nothing, means nothing, could be completely removed from the strip without losing anything. Filler only exists so that people won't be angry when they see the same old strip that's been on the front page so long. Thus, it is rather offensive to say about a story comic simply because it fails to engage your interest.

By the way, why not call it the "Azure City Liberation Underground"?

jmucchiello
2007-12-10, 12:18 PM
jmucchiello: The problem people have with your post is the use of the word filler, which means something entirely different from what you seem to think it does.Um, I didn't call it filler. Someone else did. I wouldn't call this particular strip filler but I can understand someone else feeling it is.

Regardless, filler is anything that takes space away from the "good stuff". And under that basis, this strip might be construed as filler.

Finally, why are people critiquing posts expressing an opinion? I didn't care for this strip. The world won't end. I'll like another strip. If you read all my posts in this thread you will see that my real problem with this strip is I didn't want a "and now, here-re-re-re-re-re's Haley" strip. I wanted a "why is Haley still in Azure City?" strip. Thus my disappointment. The fact that we got a "let's check up on Haley" strip is another reason you might call this a filler strip. I can't imagine that after 4 months they still disagree on the name of their resistance group.

Calemyr
2007-12-10, 12:53 PM
You are correct. I was mistaken and blamed you for someone else's post. For this I humbly apologize.

However, I believe the argument was correct even though the target was not. It is fine to say your opinion. It is fine to call the jokes cliche or the plot unsatisfying. I, personally, have no problem with that in the slightest. To be honest, this isn't one of the nail-biting "Dear Thor, that kicks arse!" moments, though Haley made a worthy attempt to make it one.

However, labelling it filler is what I have trouble with. Especially this one, which furthers the plot in so many directions while including a few minor kick ass moments, alignment commentary, and pop culture references. If this is filler in your minds, you have no idea what filler is.

Those who label this kind of thing as filler come off as spoiled children who treat the meal as some unpleasant chore before desert is served. This is substantial material, setting up the groundwork, emotional backdrop, and audience anticipation that makes those kick ass moments so powerful.

Arssanguinus
2007-12-10, 12:58 PM
I said the comic was 'meh', not bad, not good. I didn't say it sucked. There were parts that were funny. Some folks have expressed great pleasure from experiencing the parts that I thought were the most cliché.

Regardless there is no rule in this thread that someone give examples, exposition or even meat. And where is your crowning review of this comic? All you've done is critique other posts in this thread. When were you appointed the job of policing the discussion threads?

Oh, and if you don't know what filler is, try using the huge resource at your fingertips and look it up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_%28media%29).

Sometimes things suck so badly that explaining why they suck is not worth the time it takes to organize your thoughts about it. I mean, if something is really, really bad, why would I waste my time framing a reasoned explanation of its suckitude? Better to expend as few words as possible on the subject in the hopes that you'll forget the movie as fast as possible. (This has no baring on the comic here. I'm referring to things that suck in general. Once again, I only said todays comic was 'meh'.)

First off: My opinion? I liked it. It advanced the plot. And I tend to view these comics as complete arcs rather than individual installments. Two or three comics in a row, or a set of five. In my mind, this is the first comic of a 'set' - meaning I only judge it when I combine it with the others that go with it. Regardless, we learned where Haley is, and also what she is doing at the time. We have more information about the current situation inside Azure city.

Its moving the plot forward, its setting the table for the next 'chapter' of the book. Plot exposition is not filler.

And That link to filler is not really an answer - are you saying that link is your definitive answer of what is considered 'filler'? If so: How do you know that this particular comic is 'not required to understand the basic story arc' when the basic story arc has yet to even be shown? Is this a webcomic outside of the continuity of the comic in general? no. Please, even using that definition, show me how it is filler, because, you can go through that whole page and it _doesn't fit_.

There HAVE been "Filler' comics. This isn't one of them. Say you don't like it, if you don't/ But don't use a word to describe it that flat out does not apply.

beckyg
2007-12-10, 12:59 PM
New comic is up.

Um, all I see is Erfworld. :smallconfused:

Arssanguinus
2007-12-10, 01:03 PM
Um, I didn't call it filler. Someone else did. I wouldn't call this particular strip filler but I can understand someone else feeling it is.

Regardless, filler is anything that takes space away from the "good stuff". And under that basis, this strip might be construed as filler.

Finally, why are people critiquing posts expressing an opinion? I didn't care for this strip. The world won't end. I'll like another strip. If you read all my posts in this thread you will see that my real problem with this strip is I didn't want a "and now, here-re-re-re-re-re's Haley" strip. I wanted a "why is Haley still in Azure City?" strip. Thus my disappointment. The fact that we got a "let's check up on Haley" strip is another reason you might call this a filler strip. I can't imagine that after 4 months they still disagree on the name of their resistance group.

Why are YOU critiquing people's posts expressing opinions about your opinions? This could end up an infinite regression. Why is it an innate right to express your opinion without criticism?

Calemyr
2007-12-10, 01:15 PM
About the fact that Haley's team still doesn't agree on a name, how's this for a theory:

Haley, who's approximately level 13 and has had a history of fighting beside other professional adventurers of equivalent level, is now stuck in an environment where her allies are, on average, ten levels beneath her. You could even call her a giant in the playground. Anything that would pose even an interesting battle to her will spell certain death for any ally she takes with her. As a result, she cycles through teams faster than she does arrows, and this particular team is full of raw recruits that more likely than not will die on this mission. So it will be that Haley, who never really saw herself as more than a temporary part of the Order of the Stick, will truly appreciate a return to working with real adventurers again.

Amon Hen
2007-12-10, 06:22 PM
Um, all I see is Erfworld. :smallconfused:

Look harder. :smallwink:

Covenantwgw
2007-12-11, 11:45 AM
I have mixed feelings about this strip. First of all it was hilarious. I love the references. The jokes were spot on....however I was a bit disapointed that after all this time this was the best way he could think of to introduce Haley. I would have expected this sort of thing more with dealing with Elan...but who knows...maybe it's all heading somewhere and I just can't see it at this moment. I will wait watch and listen.

Can't wait till we get the group back together.

Alporik
2007-12-11, 01:50 PM
Depending on unknown factors, pretty good or pretty poor.

By D&D rules, she needs the Ranged Sunder feat to cut it, so unless she made that dubious choice, she auto fails.

Her chance of hitting the whip is quite good. She is at least +13 vs about
+2 for the hob. Even with -4 for a light weapon, she is a huge favorite to outroll him and hit the whip.

Now she has to deal enough damage, which can be a problem. She gets only half damage trying a ranged sunder, and then you have to beat the hardness before you do any damage. Whip hardness is presumably 5, so that means she needs 12 points of damage to sunder the whip. Since your normal arrow does 1-8, 12 is not easy to achieve.
Not impossible. Assuming a strength bow, she gets to add a point or two for muscles, but she can't have a big strength. But if we put a little magic on the bow we can move the total up there pretty good. It's still probably a minority chance, but it is doable.

On the other hand, we are working under drama rules, which gives her +/-20 according to the needs of the plot. Since a hit here works well with the plot, she hits, and sunders.

Of course, based on OOTS #17, I don't think the sunder rules are applied with strict rigor in this comic.

HUMVEE Driver
2007-12-11, 03:22 PM
Sounds like Haley is doing all she can to fight the invaders, with the eventual goal of stopping Xykon from using the gate. Something VERY interesting to look forward to will be the varied NPCs who resist along with her! Will they get names and have their chances of survival increase? What motley blend of skills will they have and how will Haley utilize them? I love the adapting and improvising! Go Haley!

Well your alignment DOES restrict you from doing certain things. It just doesn't reflect real-world actions. But I really don't want to get into that here. Thank the Gods Redline doesn't use alignments. And thank the Gods for DMs who ignore it.

HUMVEE Driver

Doug Lampert
2007-12-11, 03:47 PM
Well your alignment DOES restrict you from doing certain things. It just doesn't reflect real-world actions. But I really don't want to get into that here. Thank the Gods Redline doesn't use alignments. And thank the Gods for DMs who ignore it.
Utter and complete nonsense. Your alignment may CHANGE if you take certain actions. But never and under no circumstance are your actions restricted by your alignment.

Niknokitueu
2007-12-11, 04:14 PM
Liked the comic. Haley's Back ! (Or rather, Haley's Front...)

Go the Azure Popular People's Front!

Makes me really want the next few comics to come out: What has happened to Belkar, and just how decomposed is Roy? Is Belkar wearing a 'Roy Hand'?

Liked Haley's costume change. Black leather with high-kickin' boots. Now all she needs is attitude. Oh, wait... :smallbiggrin:

Liked the (somewhat cliche'd) Monty Python, Star Wars and Indiana Jones references: nothing less than I would expect from Rich. Keep it coming!

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu
ps. Alignments are both greater and less than the sum of their parts. You can always act out-of-alignment. If it is a big enough deviation, or you make enough small deviations, you will just be a new alignment. It is both a guide for how you should behave and a reflection of how you do behave. To me, it is a comforting cloak :smallwink:

Klose_the_Sith
2007-12-11, 05:17 PM
I have mixed feelings about this strip. First of all it was hilarious. I love the references. The jokes were spot on....however I was a bit disapointed that after all this time this was the best way he could think of to introduce Haley. I would have expected this sort of thing more with dealing with Elan...but who knows...maybe it's all heading somewhere and I just can't see it at this moment. I will wait watch and listen.

Can't wait till we get the group back together.

What is wrong with you? I'm glad we got to see what Elan+Crew had been doing but I can't wait to see more on Haley and Belkar's end. They're the best OOTS'ers after all ...

SpoonlessJedi
2007-12-11, 08:08 PM
For some reason this reminded me of a Monty Python sketch. Sill is very funny, irregardless.

You're thinking of "The Judean People's Front" from Life of Brian. Or maybe the People's Front of Judea...

Arssanguinus
2007-12-11, 08:16 PM
Sounds like Haley is doing all she can to fight the invaders, with the eventual goal of stopping Xykon from using the gate. Something VERY interesting to look forward to will be the varied NPCs who resist along with her! Will they get names and have their chances of survival increase? What motley blend of skills will they have and how will Haley utilize them? I love the adapting and improvising! Go Haley!

HUMVEE Driver

Alignment is descriptive, not prescriptive. Alignment does not tell you what you WILL do, its a measure of what you _have done_.

JosephHeller
2007-12-11, 11:11 PM
I don't know what you guys are arguing about. Haley's Actions fit Chaotic Good to a T, and the hobbos admitted their evilness (their, the possessive, as in "the hobbos' evilness"), and they're following rules. LE.

But, just to wrap this up...

JosephHeller casts Word of God.

Alignment is a tool for developing your character's identity...not a straightjacket... In addition, few people are completely consistent.

In other news: Elan would be proud... sorta.

gamerboy6000
2007-12-12, 08:16 AM
Every once in a while PCs do something outside their anlingment, not that in matters, because if CGs are trapped, and out-numbered, they will fight:smallannoyed:

Covenantwgw
2007-12-12, 10:00 AM
What is wrong with you? I'm glad we got to see what Elan+Crew had been doing but I can't wait to see more on Haley and Belkar's end. They're the best OOTS'ers after all ...

Um...aparently I disagree with you. I'm so ashamed.

But seriously I didn't dislike the strip I just thought reintroducing Haley would be a bit more dramatic and less with the slapstick. Belker's reintroduction will most likely be awsome so I'm just waiting.

Caractacus
2007-12-12, 12:21 PM
I am really, really hoping that Belkar is inside one of those jars and is supposed to be smuggled into the granary. If it works, it will be fun; if it fails, it will be a scream... :smallcool:

Aristeidis
2007-12-12, 01:01 PM
Very nice strip. Seriously I think the rebels who try to overcome tyrany are indeed CG. Even if it wasn't this way, Rich has broken a ton of dnd rules for fun's sake.

Huray for the hobgoblins with the wips!! (hahaha!!! evil!)

aliron
2007-12-12, 11:24 PM
I am really, really hoping that Belkar is inside one of those jars and is supposed to be smuggled into the granary. If it works, it will be fun; if it fails, it will be a scream... :smallcool:

Yeah I thought it was kinda weird that the girl at the end of the rebel line carried a jar instead of a weapon...she looks unarmed.

HUMVEE Driver
2007-12-13, 01:34 AM
Utter and complete nonsense. Your alignment may CHANGE if you take certain actions. But never and under no circumstance are your actions restricted by your alignment.

Eh, semantics. I'd call a Paladin's life pretty restricted. There is some line in The Book of Exhaulted Deeds (not sure if that's it) that says that if you kill an evil creature (I believe they mention a succubus) which is a Lawful Good act you kill off all the good that creature POSSIBLY could have done. That sounds like a restriction to me. And what about that rule where if you change alignments so many times you start taking XP penalties? Hefty restriction there. So I'm bound by an undefineable ideal (good or chaos) and a manmade and therefore flawed ideal (law/chaos) Too 'grey' to follow; just figure it out if you need to determine what plane you go to after you die.

HUMVEE Driver

Smittaugh
2007-12-13, 03:44 AM
I'm not wading through this whole thing to see if anyone else noticed, but I did and I'm telling you.

Third panel in the third row, where the Hobgoblin overseer and the whip guy are laughing at the new kid. The overseer laughed so hard his foot broke. Which cracked me up.

(btw, did not mean to point this out to draw attention to a mistake. I laughed at the idea of laughing so hard someone breaks a foot.)

gamerboy6000
2007-12-15, 02:30 PM
Yeah I thought it was kinda weird that the girl at the end of the rebel line carried a jar instead of a weapon...she looks unarmed.
I completly agree with those two, I mean, where else would belklar be?
(besides stabbing the slaves to make them go faster:smallbiggrin: )

gamerboy6000
2007-12-15, 02:31 PM
I agree with you on Belklar, but after him it's Elan

Klose_the_Sith
2007-12-15, 02:54 PM
I agree with you on Belklar, but after him it's Elan

Being a rogue I disagree, although I am a Rogue 4/Fighter 2 who leads the adventuring party composed out of Neutrals and evils, and I assume a completely different role to Haley. There are natural Rogue similarities, like we have some levels in the same class