PDA

View Full Version : ToB Maneuver OGL question - RESOLVED

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-08, 07:11 PM
I'm creating a pdf to be distributed, but I am a little questionable about if including the maneuvers from ToB is legal. Based on the web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20061225a) that had downloadable cards with the maneuvers, are the ToB maneuvers OGL or at least is it legal to reproduce them in a (free) publication?

Fax Celestis
2007-12-08, 07:12 PM
No. The maneuvers are not included within any form of OGL. They are, however, covered by Fair Use. In short, you can use them if you're not selling them and you don't mass-distribute them.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-08, 07:14 PM
No. The maneuvers are not included within any form of OGL. They are, however, covered by Fair Use. In short, you can use them if you're not selling them and you don't mass-distribute them.

So could I include them in a free downloadable pdf of my creation?

Fax Celestis
2007-12-08, 07:15 PM
So could I include them in a free downloadable pdf of my creation?

If you included the cards as they were presented in the web enhancement, yes.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-08, 07:16 PM
If you included the cards as they were presented in the web enhancement, yes.

Alright, thanks a lot!

hamstard4ever
2007-12-08, 07:17 PM
Downloads would generally be considered mass distribution. Hosting them for a handful of friends in your gaming group would generally be justifiable, public downloads not so much.

That said, it's not like jack-booted stormtroopers are going to kick down your door and haul you to prison for it. The fact that it's already being freely distributed means that it's not technically legal for you to take it and distribute on your own, but most of the time no one's especially going to care.

(EDIT) I worded that poorly. I should say: it is not technically legal for you to take copyrighted material and distribute it on your own, but the fact that it's already being distributed for free means most of the time no one's especially going to care.