PDA

View Full Version : Necromancy w/o Steamrolling

Fero
2023-09-12, 02:36 PM
I am building a 9th level gestalt Dread Necromancer/Healer in an upcoming game. I want to create and use undead minions. However, I don't want to steamroller encounters or slow combat to manage lots of minions. Therefore, I want to find utility uses for undead minions, as well as any fairly passive combat abilities that won't slow pay to much.

I already plan to take Undead Eyes so I can use tiny undead as scouts. I also plan to take Unliving Weapon to use them as bombs, guided weapons, etc.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Rebel7284
2023-09-12, 03:02 PM
Slaymate is good

Zanos
2023-09-12, 06:30 PM
Zombies ogres or just something big with a lot of hit dice can be a good wall with a reach weapon. Takes up space, provides some control, only one attack.

Using skeletons as flankers is also effective if you've got party members that can take advantage.

Fero
2023-09-12, 07:29 PM
Slaymate is good

Would you believe I have no metamagic? No corpsecrafter either. I am doing something wrong. . .

Inevitability
2023-09-14, 01:41 PM
Having big undead carry or drag mobile cover in place might be useful; the party archer will love you! Having a few skeletons raising or lowering big sheets of fabric at your command can serve as a nice source of toggle-able cover.

Small skeletons moving to be flanking buddies who then spam total defense can similarly be useful.

Mounts for the party are a classic, lots of characters appreciate being mounted.

Doctor Despair
2023-09-14, 02:20 PM
lots of characters appreciate being mounted.

Uh, phrasing :P

JNAProductions
2023-09-14, 03:12 PM
Uh, phrasing :P

The section quoted is perfect, I dunno what you're talking about. :P

Biggus
2023-09-14, 06:35 PM
Not sure if this is what you're looking for but Undead Torch (SpC) is pretty good.

SirNibbles
2023-09-14, 11:56 PM
How are you combining Healer (requires good alignment) with Dread Necromancer (requires non-good alignment)?

Having big undead carry or drag mobile cover in place might be useful; the party archer will love you! Having a few skeletons raising or lowering big sheets of fabric at your command can serve as a nice source of toggle-able cover.

Small skeletons moving to be flanking buddies who then spam total defense can similarly be useful.

Mounts for the party are a classic, lots of characters appreciate being mounted.

If you’re considered armed, you threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack

Rules Compendium, page 18

Only a creature that threatens your foe can help you gain a flanking bonus.

Rules Compendium, page 56

If you can't attack, do you threaten any squares for flanking? EDIT: (regarding total defense and flanking)

Fero
2023-09-15, 12:52 AM
How are you combining Healer (requires good alignment) with Dread Necromancer (requires non-good alignment)?

DM waived the Healer alignment restriction.

Telonius
2023-09-15, 10:19 AM
I would check with your DM to see if using the "Mob" template (from DMG2) would be appropriate. With a Dread Necromancer, you can pretty quickly get to the point where it really does bog down combat. A Mob combines a bunch of low-HD things into something that has a chance at doing some damage to a higher-level enemy.