PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A 3.5e Movement Question

TheSteff
2023-09-13, 09:57 AM
In my game last night, one of the players moved up to the door but there was someone else in the way so he couldn't attack. So, he told the other player to move out of the way and he 'held his attack' until the other player moved. then he completed his turn.

I don't think this is correct but they (obviously) do. I can't find it in the rules.

Anyone know if this is proper or not?

Zombimode
2023-09-13, 10:06 AM
You can Delay to postpone your turn.
Or you can Ready your attack (in this case) for when the ally has move out of the way.

With any of those action the players could have arrived at a state that is similar enough to how you have described it.

My suggestion: review those two types of actions in the rules (for instance here (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm)).
The next time something like that comes up in play, explain the option the players have.

Gruftzwerg
2023-09-13, 10:28 AM
Why wait if you can just pass?

Moving through a Square

Friend

You can move through a square occupied by a friendly character, unless you are charging. When you move through a square occupied by a friendly character, that character doesn’t provide you with cover.

Opponent

You can’t move through a square occupied by an opponent, unless the opponent is helpless. You can move through a square occupied by a helpless opponent without penalty. (Some creatures, particularly very large ones, may present an obstacle even when helpless. In such cases, each square you move through counts as 2 squares.)

Ending Your Movement

You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.

TheSteff
2023-09-13, 11:37 AM
the fighter was face to face in a doorway across from a rogue. the fighter had not yet gone... but the paladin wanted to get in there and whack the rogue.

so the paladin says i will move up to the doorway and then hold my attack. then the fighter hit the rogue, then took a five foot step out of the way... then the paladin thinks he should now get his attack.

he couldn't move through the fighters space because he would have had to move into the rogues space.

it just seems goofy to run up.. then stand there while the other guy attacks.. then finish your turn.

but i thought i would see what other people thought. Maybe i am reading it wrong.

Zombimode
2023-09-13, 12:17 PM
it just seems goofy to run up.. then stand there while the other guy attacks.. then finish your turn.

Yes, THAT specific sequence is not really possible. But it is also not really needed since, again, the player could just have delayed their turn.

KillianHawkeye
2023-09-13, 06:10 PM
the fighter was face to face in a doorway across from a rogue. the fighter had not yet gone... but the paladin wanted to get in there and whack the rogue.

so the paladin says i will move up to the doorway and then hold my attack. then the fighter hit the rogue, then took a five foot step out of the way... then the paladin thinks he should now get his attack.

he couldn't move through the fighters space because he would have had to move into the rogues space.

It seems like there was no legal space for the Paladin to stand in until the Fighter moved away? If that's the case, the correct action would have been for the Paladin to delay his turn until after the Fighter, so he could move into the vacated space and attack.