PDA

View Full Version : Baleful Transposition and Grapple?

SangoProduction
2023-09-13, 10:44 PM
Let's say big dude #2 managed to grapple your pathetic, whiny, wimp of a cleric who had run out of spell slots. (Yes, spell slots are real.)

No, let's say you want to save your cleric for one reason or another, but have only one spell left - Baleful Transposition. (Again, spell slots are real! This is not a debate. I have not been traumatized.)

Now, you can obviously attempt to teleport the grappler, but that invokes a save from them. So, instead I want to teleport the wimp, which he will presumably willfully fail. And if he doesn't, it's his fault.

And now I need only make at most one save fail, in order to save him.

So, what happens to the target that gets transposed into the position that the wimp was?
Do they become the target of the grapple? If swapping the wimp and big dude, does the wimp suddenly have grapple control (however momentarily)?
If not, since they cannot share space, due to not grappling, do they just plop out to the side of the grappler's space?
Anything else unforeseen?

Crake
2023-09-13, 11:08 PM
If swapping the wimp and big dude, does the wimp suddenly have grapple control (however momentarily)?

3.5 doesnt have “grapple control” like other editions and systems do, grappling is a state. If you mean pinning, then that would depend on if baleful transposition also transposes body positions. Considering it can transpose creatures of different sizes and shapes, i would say it does not.

Also considering that teleported creatures must arrive on a flat, open surface, my instinct would be to say that the two creatures end the Grapple and are left in separate squares

Khedrac
2023-09-14, 01:54 AM
I'm with Crake here, I think the entity arriving in the grappler's space is not automatically grappled.

St Fan
2023-09-22, 04:18 PM
I'd concur, the sudden teleportation and change in stature/body shape are reason enough to justify the grappler losing his grip.

Please note there is also a benign transposition spell that is restricted to allies.