PDA

View Full Version : A Roving Cast [OOC]

JNAProductions
2023-09-14, 11:38 AM
System: D&D 5E
Player Count: Four at most
Style of Play: Action and Adventure with a roving cast
Allowed Content: If it's not on the list, don't ask.

PHB
DMG
Xanathar's
Volo's
Mordenkainen's
Ravnica
Eberron
Tasha’s
Fizban’s
Monsters of the Multiverse
UA, Homebrew, or anything else available for free, legally, and online by request. Include a link with any request!

Character Creation: Mythweavers preferred, but anything I can easily read is acceptable

Backstory: Skirt length
Experience: 5th Level
Wealth: Standard starting wealth, but you may exchange your baseline armor for any mundane armor you have proficiency in
Ability Scores: Pick six numbers. These are your pre-racial stats. No number may be higher than 18 or less than 8. You may modify them freely up until the game starts, and may pick duplicate numbers.
Hitpoints/Health: PHB Standard
Alignment: Heroic, or at worst amoral

Other Notes: No Ravnica backgrounds.

Additionally, I'd like to try something I've not done before-you'll start with your PC, whoever you pitch with, but other characters will come in and replace PCs, as they die, move on, depart temporarily, what-have-you.
For example, say one PC has a goal of "Get rich and retire in comfort." After they get a big haul, enough to live the rest of their life in ease, they'd be retired, and replaced for the next adventure. Or if a mission that three members of the party have a reason to go on, but a fourth is opposed to, the fourth would be left behind and a new recruit would be found.

I would still like each PC to be a good character, but I'm not too worried about elaborate backstories-even for your first PCs. I'm more concerned about in the moment gameplay and characterization.
The Golden Empire of Rashmir has stood for generations, and will stand for eternity if the family of Rashmir has anything to say about it.
The Conclave of Naturalists might have plans that could topple it.
The independent League of City-States has thus far resisted any form of assimilation into the Golden Empire.
The Tolgen Fleets are forced ashore by terrible storms, spending more time on land than they have in age.

And who are you, in all this? You are agents of the League of City-States. Your mission, a simple one, if not easy: ensure the independent League stays independent. What that means right now is a visit to either Rashmir or the Conclave, to ensure that their efforts are focused on each other and not on your home.

The eldest nation, ruled by the Emperor Eternal Rashmir. Some say he's a lich, others say he's a demigod, and yet others say he's dead, and his body is just a figurehead. Regardless of what people think of Rashmir, the empire is a strong nation. Its military is potent, filled with strong soldiers and talented arcanists. Divine magic is somewhat rare in Rashmir, with Clerics and Paladins being quickly recruited into the ranks of the clergy of Rashmir.

Rashmir is centered on a magical oasis, in the center of a large desert. Powerful magic ensures adequate rainfall and crop growth, though it still imports a good deal of food.
A forest-based druidic circle, and the single most powerful gathering of divine mages in the continent. They limit trade, viewing it as a necessary evil at best, but have powerful relics and spell services to offer.

They do not like arcane magic. There's a lot they don't like, actually, though many view them as a force for good in the world.
A coalition of a half dozen city-states who have a tentative alliance against everyone else. Formerly a collection of tribes, they've maintained their independent streak.

The League has lots of mercenaries, as the rough nature of the city-states leads to people being armed and dangerous. Still, basically anyone and anything can be found in the leagues, given enough time and money.
A massive nomadic fleet, primarily made up of tieflings, minotaurs, and orcs. Origins of the Tolgen Fleet are unclear, but they're masters of the sea, and able to procure artifacts and items from a wide variety of locales.

As of late, mysterious storms have been forcing them ashore.
Please repost all needed details.

IC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?659986-A-Roving-Cast-IC&p=25869146)

JNAProductions
2023-09-14, 11:39 AM
Ishmal-Jovial, portly. Leads a trading caravan.
Iago-Ishmal's husband.
Jasmine-first daughter to Ishmal and Iago
Sinbad-son to Ishmal and Iago
Safron-second daughter to Ishmal and Iago

Bobthewizard
2023-09-14, 11:41 AM
I'll start with Anjo Ritari (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2169919), a devotion paladin and city guard. He's loyal and honest, but a little rebellious and carefree too. He has been assigned to guard the ambassadors to Rashmir or the Conclave (the other PCs).

Lentrax
2023-09-14, 12:58 PM
But busy now, so getting my post on. I’ll edit later tonight with the sheet and everything.

Lana Stansk (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2834163) is here.

And I think we will use this color to talk.

Lana used to be a nobody. Then she saw something bad that was going to happen. A murder. She wasn't able to stop it because nobody believed that she saw it before it happened.

Then it happened again. It wasn't it happened a third time that some began to think of her as an albatross. Bad luck, a curse. She saw them coming for her, and she knew where to run. Her magic led her to the tower of the mage, Rethrik. He took the girl in, taught her to control her magic, to make sense of the viewings. And in return, he used his little apprentice, who could forsee some of the dangers to herself, to pass messages between the cities of the League.

Darkstorm
2023-09-14, 01:10 PM
Lord Jace Drakmoor. (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b0qCfuutgTdu1P5WWaNX179yWiKOZzst/view?usp=drive_link) He is a noble Warlock/Eco fighter.

https://i.ibb.co/KwWPd19/Jace.jpg (https://ibb.co/q5pSKZR)
https://i.ibb.co/w0RnVMY/transferir.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

Born into a decaying noble family, Jace's life started as a lie. If in the forefront he was rich, the reality was far from it. Debt lead his father to promise him to marry into a noble family of the empire, letting them set (another) foot on the free states.
As Jace grew, he started to perfect that double face: and outward smiling, happy, rich noble, and on the back a brooding child, with the weight of his family future on his shoulders.
But one day, while hunting, a beast appeared. Picking the Drakmoor sword, his father charged the giant beast... In the rage of fseeing his father fall, he grasped the broken blade of Drakmoor and swore he would survive. A Darkness enveloped him, smiling. A wicked cold smile. And his sword moved and cut deep into the hide, making the beast escape.
But in that day, where his father fell, he saw the demon inside him. A grinning demon holding a sword made of darkness. He heard his whispers, his voice, telling him what to do, how to become strong.
Lord Jace is now seen several times with a "ghost". For the outside people, a guard, a protector, maybe even a hired assassin. But Jace knows well the shadow is the demon, is a reflection of himself.

He'll use Green to talk, maybe with a different shade for his echo.

Estralita
2023-09-14, 04:34 PM
Oh, its time!

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2337382

Putting together Jane's Backstory. I've been looking over the nations. If Jane's from a big city, should she be from one of the City States, or is the Empire the proper place?

JNAProductions
2023-09-14, 04:36 PM
But busy now, so getting my post on. I’ll edit later tonight with the sheet and everything.

It happens, no worries. :)

Oh, its time!

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2337382

Putting together Jane's Backstory. I've been looking over the nations. If Jane's from a big city, should she be from one of the City States, or is the Empire the proper place?

Some of the City States are quite large and metropolitan. Rashmir has more people overall, but big cities are in the independent states as well.

Lentrax
2023-09-14, 06:49 PM
That looks like all four of us, so I will pop in and say I have edited in the link to my sheet, as well as whipped up a real simple backstory.

JNAProductions
2023-09-14, 06:57 PM
IC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?659986-A-Roving-Cast-IC&p=25869146) is live!

Estralita
2023-09-14, 07:09 PM
Oops! Thread live and I don't have a full backstory written!

Jane's always been an outsider, and has difficulty trusting people. She's from one of the larger City-States, and has worked both as a thief and a mercenary. She's suspicious, cautious, and doesn't open up about her life at all. ("Jane" probably isn't even her real name)

When asked, she says she wants to survive, and getting money will help her do so. What she really wants, subconciously, is a place where she belongs. Things that could cause her to retire from the group or miss a mission

1: Getting the chance to settle down owning a shop (she is not currently aware of this)
2: Feeling a mission is too stupid/ risky (I won't trigger this one unless asked)
3: Her familiar, Fluffles, gets sick/ injured. (What? Fluffles is the one creature she cares about)

Also, a lore question. I know this is a bit of a stereotype, but would the conclave happen to have... elves?!

JNAProductions
2023-09-14, 07:36 PM
Conclave has elves, among other races.

Lentrax
2023-09-15, 12:17 AM
Quick question.

Is it alright for me to start with my familiar summoned?

JNAProductions
2023-09-15, 12:24 AM
No problem at all.

Bobthewizard
2023-09-15, 07:06 AM
I vote Rashmir, but IC he'd leave that to Jace. I'm fine if everyone else wants to go to the Conclave instead, it just might be hard on Lana since they don't like arcane magic.

Darkstorm
2023-09-15, 01:00 PM
Depends a bit on what we want to do. Persuade? Impersonate and leave tracks of the other faction? Make a noble think he can gain power by adressing the problem? Raising rumors and xenophobic perspective on the other nation? Find something one wants and point the object might be on the other nation? Attack nobles or caravans posing as the other faction?

Estralita
2023-09-16, 11:14 PM
That's one of the main things holding me back. I'm not sure exactly what we can do? Or how to push the discussion forwards.

Sorry I'm more used to traditional "Here is a thing I want, go and do it" games.

JNAProductions
2023-09-17, 12:38 AM
So, feel free to pitch ideas here in the OOC-I'll let you know if your characters would know how reasonable they are. From what Darkstorm posted...

Depends a bit on what we want to do. 1) Persuade? 2) Impersonate and leave tracks of the other faction? 3) Make a noble think he can gain power by adressing the problem? 4) Raising rumors and xenophobic perspective on the other nation? 5) Find something one wants and point the object might be on the other nation? 6) Attack nobles or caravans posing as the other faction?

1) Persuasion is unlikely to work. Rashmir doesn't like the League, and the Conclave not a ton better.
2) Could work.
3) Could very much work.
4) Would be tricky, but doable.
5) Could definitely work.
6) Risky. Very risky-but very good if done right.

Bobthewizard
2023-09-17, 12:07 PM
I vote we start with 3 and 5 then. Let's go find some nobles and find out what they want.

Darkstorm
2023-09-17, 03:39 PM
I'll say we select a first action (empire and conclave) and a general plan, and then go at this a bit organically and allow the GM, NPCs and our own imagination to work with the ideas as they come.

Go to the Empire, fuss around, find about nobles we can try to manipulate, important figures, needs and wants, cracks we can push and find out the "best" action.

I do like the 2 and 6, as they are the ones that might have the biggest impact. Of course in a place where magic abounds, things would have to be done VERY well to make the faction believe, so it's... risky.

I vote we start with 3 and 5 then. Let's go find some nobles and find out what they want.

Fine by me.

JNAProductions
2023-09-18, 10:38 PM
Can I get some more IC action?
Or are y'all waiting on me?

Lentrax
2023-09-19, 07:28 AM
With her background feature, would Lana be able to recall inquiries made by any of the nobles for specific rare items or artifacts?

JNAProductions
2023-09-19, 12:09 PM
With her background feature, would Lana be able to recall inquiries made by any of the nobles for specific rare items or artifacts?

I'll go ahead and say yes.

There's always nobles looking for items or artifacts and things of that sort. Most of it is localized to Rashmir itself, though, or nearby lands.

However, there's a family that's looking for something the Conclave (supposedly) has. They're in some amount of disrepute at the moment, having been "rewarded" with some really, really garbage farmland and expected to make do. They are searching for something from the Conclave that could either improve the crops or rejuvenate the land.

Estralita
2023-09-20, 11:20 PM
Can we do any sort of knowledge check to learn more about this Conclave Artifact?

JNAProductions
2023-09-20, 11:20 PM
Yes. Nature or History would be most appropriate, but if you can make a good argument for another proficiency to apply, feel free to.

Estralita
2023-09-20, 11:40 PM
Well, if it's knowledge of a magical artifact, could Arcana apply? For magic lore (and rogues interested in shiny magic things:smallbiggrin:)

JNAProductions
2023-09-21, 12:33 AM
Well, if it's knowledge of a magical artifact, could Arcana apply? For magic lore (and rogues interested in shiny magic things:smallbiggrin:)

Two things:
1) Sure!
2) If you think a check might be called for, roll the die! I may or may not use the roll, I may apply different modifiers (if you apply Proficiency when it shouldn't've been there, or didn't apply it when it should, for instance) but it'll save time for when a roll IS needed.
Do note that, regardless of the result, I may ignore it. Nat 20? If no check was needed, it don't matter. Nat 1? Same deal.

Estralita
2023-09-21, 09:32 AM
you got it!

[roll0]

Lentrax
2023-09-21, 09:57 AM
I'll put an arcana check myself.

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2023-09-21, 12:36 PM
you got it!

[roll0]

You know the Conclave would certainly have relics of some stripe that could help, though whether or not it's EXACTLY what the Countess is looking for is up for question.

I'll put an arcana check myself.

[roll0]

Thinking further on it, you know a relatively common item made by the conclave is a Decanter Of Endless Water. It's not for sale, of course, and one alone is not nearly enough for farming. However, the Conclave is quite good in their areas of expertise-even if they don't have a Decanter variant capable of irrigation, they could almost certainly make one.

JNAProductions
2023-09-24, 02:42 PM
Would we like me to move us on to finding the countess? Or at least travelling?

Bobthewizard
2023-09-24, 02:51 PM
I'm ready to move forward

Lentrax
2023-09-24, 03:10 PM
I’m ready to move on as well.

Darkstorm
2023-09-24, 03:16 PM
I'm posting some link to that, and ready to move.

Estralita
2023-09-24, 11:12 PM
I'm cool to move on, but had to add a single sarcastic mental comment first. Sorry

JNAProductions
2023-09-28, 06:47 PM
[roll0] Anjo
[roll1] Jace

JNAProductions
2023-09-28, 06:48 PM
And another roll, for Anjo. [roll0]

Estralita
2023-09-29, 12:44 AM
What are the roles for?

JNAProductions
2023-09-29, 11:38 AM
What are the roles for?

A Charisma check from each of the men.
Then an Insight check.

They're not especially important-just figuring out who the youngest is getting smitten by, and how well the crush can tell.

Estralita
2023-10-01, 03:15 PM
So right now, we're talking to each other?

I have a bit of a dilemma, in that Jane isn't one to approach people, but I wouldn't mind if someone approached her.

Lentrax, did you know Jane also has an owl familiar, Fluffles? She'd probably have summoned him during the travels to help with scouting.

If Lana wouldn't approach Jane, I suppose Jane would eventually get curious enough to approach her. What do you think?

Lentrax
2023-10-01, 03:55 PM
It’s entirely possible that with Portent, Lana kept Jane out of some kind of trouble? Maybe foresaw something that was interesting enough for her to get Jane’s attention?

At the very least enough where the two can kinda talk to each other?

Estralita
2023-10-02, 10:46 PM
Would it be okay, if she approaches and asks about Nyx?