PDA

View Full Version : A character development cue….

FrancisBean
2023-09-14, 10:14 PM
Most of my campaign zero sessions start with one unusual requirement for the characters, My last one started in prison, and everyone was required to contribute the back story of their crime, of which they could be innocent. (For the curious: 1 was innocent of the crime but guilty of worse; the rest were guilty of unfair criminal statutes. That's what my players chose.)

For this next one, I’m sketching around the notion of a suicide squad, a military campaign where everyone in this mission squad is a volunteer, and they all know that they’re far more likely to die than to come home alive. In short, your character volunteered for a wartime suicide mission against, say, demons invading your world. Because it’s demons invading the world.

The question for my players is, “Why? Why did you volunteer for this mission? What made you not care if you lived or died?”

I’m looking for ideas I can seed into NPCs for pre-gen PCs. What backstories can you give me?

animorte
2023-09-15, 12:14 AM
Your typical tragedy: "All my family/friends were slaughtered and I have nothing else to live for."

I had a near death experience once and I'm not afraid of it anymore.

Starting to get old, but the nature of my people is to die with honor, on the battlefield. To die safe of Old age would be a disgrace.

I'd rather live each day with adventure than die having accomplished nothing.

My parents grounded me and turned the wi-fi off so I ran away to my doom. That'll show them.

Corran
2023-09-15, 12:36 AM
1) Edge. My family died when the demons first invaded. I am going to avenge them by killing as many of them as I can before I am eventually reunited with my loved ones.

2) More(!) edge. My family died because I abandoned them to save myself. I have to set this right even if it means paying the ultimate price. (c'mon, c'mon, you can do this, just let your feet carry you forward one step at a time, dont run, dont you run dammit...!)

3) Ambition and overconfidence. It turns out I have a talent for slaying demons. This is my opportunity to show the world who I really am! And make the most of it, of course...

4) Hero complex (eg paladin). This is what I was being prepared for my whole life.

5) Hero. Someone's got to do this. I am here, so I may as well join up for it.

6) Obedience (eg Cleric, bad). The world pie is being redistributed and we have to grab ourselves a big piece. Why did it have to be me though to join this task? I must prove myself worthy so that I wont be seen as expendable.

7) Reluctant hero (eg fiend warlock). I never knew this was on the cards when I signed the contract. Maybe there is an out...

8) Maniac. It was about time something fun happened. Let's make sure to enjoy ourselves while it lasts. Agreed?

9) Diviner (or your average crazy druid living in the woods). I had predicted that. And everyone laughed at me and thought I was crazy. (pause) Good thing I got ready for this...!

10) Mad scientist (bard, cleric, druid, wizard). Now, if I can bind me an X, my research would move significantly faster. What? No, of course it's for finding more efficient ways to fight them demons. What did you think? That I am using you to satisfy some selfish dark desire!?

11) Grumpy old man. GET OFF MY LAWN!

12) Inquisitor. These portals didn't open by themselves. The demons had significant help from this dimension. Now it's too late to prevent it, but the job wont end when every demon is dead. I must keep my eyes and ears open for clues. Cause if the traitors aren't dealt with, then this will happen again.

13) Dybbuk spy (probably better for a slow pace long campaign though).

14) Volunteered to impress someone.

JonBeowulf
2023-09-15, 03:26 AM
Adding to Corran's list:

Duty. You go because it's the right thing to do. Your family ancestry is replete with members sacrificing themselves for something huge. You already have offspring to continue the bloodline so it's your time to set the example and honor the tradition.

Dualight
2023-09-15, 03:50 AM
Another one: Loyalty to another party member. That is to say, following someone else who decided to join. (The why for the loyalty can be anything, from a life-debt to a sibling bond, or anything else.)

Foolwise
2023-09-15, 04:13 AM
Demons learned of a potential resistance via their network. NPC was promised their family would be spared if they volunteered. NPC would be required to either somehow notify the demons of the mission details or directly sabotage the plan. NPC’s motivation can go either way- either they are a willing martyr for their family or they are still hoping to weasel out and save their own skin while working for the demons.

Martyr will likely be tougher for PCs to detect, while the weasel should stand out more.