PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Down the House: Damaging Objects and Structures

Nagog
2023-09-15, 12:12 PM
So I have a build I've been playing that is all about dealing damage to objects and structures (Very much with the mentality of "If I have a problem I can't solve, I collapse the building. Boom, different problem.") Though I noticed that there are quite a few damaging class and subclass abilities that specifically trigger upon hitting a Creature, meaning stuff like Divine Smite and Smite Spells won't trigger on hitting a building. Same with Sneak Attack (Even if the wall does have Passive Perception of 0). What are some good always-active damage boosts I could layer on to this build to maximize my Collateral Damage?

Dr.Samurai
2023-09-15, 12:19 PM
I started this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?646051-Half-Orc-Barbarians-the-walking-siege-engines-of-5E) devoted to breaking stuff.

The Critical Role Tal-Dorei campaign setting has a Juggernaut subclass for the barbarian that deals double damage to objects and structures.

Nagog
2023-09-15, 12:24 PM
I started this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?646051-Half-Orc-Barbarians-the-walking-siege-engines-of-5E) devoted to breaking stuff.

The Critical Role Tal-Dorei campaign setting has a Juggernaut subclass for the barbarian that deals double damage to objects and structures.

That's the subclass I'm using funny enough :biggrin: It's been a blast!

Dr.Samurai
2023-09-15, 02:25 PM
That's the subclass I'm using funny enough :biggrin: It's been a blast!
Yeah destroying stuff is great!

Nerd Immersion: So this new Cloud Giant Destiny Gambler has powers that require the Cloud Rune. The Cloud Rune is on a mask and has AC 15 and 45 hit points...
Me: My barbarian can destroy that in one hit...

JackPhoenix
2023-09-15, 03:48 PM
Get yourself an adamantine weapon for autocrits against objects.

Nagog
2023-09-15, 05:28 PM
Get yourself an adamantine weapon for autocrits against objects.

My Barb picked up the Shatterspike as his first magic item, which does the same. I wasn't aware Adamantine did that too!

JackPhoenix
2023-09-15, 07:41 PM
My Barb picked up the Shatterspike as his first magic item, which does the same. I wasn't aware Adamantine did that too!

The advantage of adamantine is that it can come in any metal weapon form, not just a longsword, and it's not listed as magic weapon, so unlike adamantine armor, you can get yourself, say, adamantine flametongue greatsword, or whatever your barbarian wants. Though for demolition purposes, I'd look for greataxe, pick or a maul, the GM is well within his right to say you can't break a wall with a sword, even if it's adamantine or magical.