PDA

View Full Version : Yet another silly WBL expoit (killing AC)

ciopo
2023-09-15, 01:14 PM
Heya fellow hive minds

Just a thought I had recently. Anedoctally, I'm relatively sure there exists precedent in published adventures about "orphaned" animal companions, those poor dears that survived their druids/handlers.

They may or may not had had treasure.

So... if this or that class feature gives a companion that's "easy" to obtain again, and the monster stat block for the base creature does have treasure:(not none), isn't that exploitable for free wealth? Kill the companion, loot the body to magically spawn standard treasure or whatever, do the whatever to magically respawn the companion?

NontheistCleric
2023-09-15, 01:34 PM
Treasure

This line reflects how much wealth the creature owns. In most cases, a creature keeps valuables in its home or lair and has no treasure with it when it travels. Intelligent creatures that own useful, portable treasure (such as magic items) tend to carry and use these, leaving bulky items at home.

If the animal companion has to seek you out instead of the other way around, it probably didn't bring its treasure, and if you are seeking it out, then you could probably use that time to find yourself some better treasure.

That or the game just becomes 'My Adventures While Seeking Out Consecutive Animal Companion Victims'.

Telonius
2023-09-15, 03:53 PM
Most wolves don't have pockets. If it's got a pile of bones somewhere with the coins not yet eaten, you'd have to find that.

Zanos
2023-09-15, 04:26 PM
Some animals like dogs and horses have listed values. You could simply sell a riding dog or a horse every day and get another one every 24 hours.

AnonJr
2023-09-15, 08:01 PM
Some animals like dogs and horses have listed values. You could simply sell a riding dog or a horse every day and get another one every 24 hours.

Though at some point you're probably going to really piss off whoever is granting you the animal companions... even if it's just Nature rebalancing the scales.

Gruftzwerg
2023-09-16, 01:30 AM
Aren't there any AC that could be harvested (when killed) for valuable loot? (hide, bones, scales, horns, whatsoever..)

ciopo
2023-09-16, 01:43 AM
Oooooh that's even better, because you don't need to release the AC to sell it! Free action wistle to get it back! But then you got to skip town...

The imagery of a druid that's a horse-stealer scam artist is just too funny

About wolves and pockets: indeed, wolves have treasure:none in their stat block. I've not combed all AC. Those that I'm sure have a treasure entry are the beast heart adept monstrous companions.

About the seeking out: well, it does take 24 hours of uninterrupted prayer to respawn, so this is more of a thought experiment thing than an for actual play thing

loky1109
2023-09-16, 02:26 AM
Oooooh that's even better, because you don't need to release the AC to sell it! Free action wistle to get it back! But then you got to skip town...

"The Good, The Bad, The Ugly" trick?