PDA

View Full Version : [DnD5e-IC] Ethereal Expeditions, Episode 1: The Fiend of Hollow Mine

truemane
2023-09-15, 10:10 PM
D&D 5E - Ethereal Expeditions
Episode 1: the Fiend of Hollow Mine

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/941056535935729727/1152429897369780295/image.png?width=220&height=300

"The Astral Sea lets you stand in mute silent awe at the infinite visceral
wonder of the universe. But sometimes, you just want a beer."
-Tenzin Miran, Captain of the Infinite Jaunt

The Infinite Jaunt makes its way out of Astral Space and settles into a plane of mountainous desert. The ship leaves the sky and settles just above the endless windswept dunes of the Indigo Desert, travelling south hugging the high, craggy Rusenor Mountains.

Emily Helmsworth, the navigator and resident anthropologist, is very excited. She'd been bugging Tenzin to make this stop for months. "In the town of San Citlan they hold a festival once every 17 years, the Night of the Remembered, when your departed ancestors sometimes actually return from the lands of the dead and visit their descendants. I've read all about it! I can't want to see it. I'm very excited."

Tenzin also looks excited (somewhat uncharastically when humouring Emily).

"And not only that!" he says, "But I heard, in the village of Milpazul, there's a guy who actually breeds and trains giant carnivirous lizards as mounts! So I figure we drop by Milzapul, rent some giant lizards, have a little reptile-cattle drive to San Citlan and see the festival!"

Emily tries to protest. She wants to go right to San Citlan and not risk missing the festival. And then maybe ride giant lizards later. But Tenzin won't hear of it. He's certain the timing will work out perfectly.

"It always does!"

"What about the eclipse on Zinda?

"It almost always works out!"

"What about the planetary alignment on Korail?"

"It usually works out!"

"What about the Wytchlight Carnival on Faerun?"

"It sometimes works out?"

"What about the modron migration in Toril?"

"Uhhh....it'll work out!"

The Jaunt takes a long, slow turn to the east and chases the sunrise as the sand beneath fades from heavy golden dunes to an impossibly airy sea of sand that rises into the sky in great clouds with every gust of wind and whose surface looks more like water than sand.

Emily, goggles on, can't stop looking. "It's called the Blossdunes. Sand so light that you can fall into it and drown like water! Fascinating! Also good for landing in."

Tenzin brings the Jaunt to a slow, smooth stop near the edge of a large rocky area."

"Alright!" Tenzin calls out, "Anyone who wants to ride giant lizards... and yes, see a unique festival involving the return of the dead... Let's head out!"

Laughter's brother, Gem, wants to go ashore, but Lorca forbids it, citing his recent lack of discipline lately and unfinished duties. Briel, however decides he wants to come ashore.

"I wish to see to the safety of young Laugher. And see the festival," he rumbles in his slow, sonorour voice. And then, a small smile. "And perhaps ride of on Captain Miran's giant lizards."

Up ahead, the rocky area tapers off into hard-packed scrubland, where a broken trail begins and leads up and away as the land rises.

Apologies for the delay, but here we are! Since we're playing without any real continuity, you're welcome to decide for yourself how long it's been since you've been offship, what you've been up and how you're doing, how you feel about this crazy errand. You're even welcome to decide if you know anything about this area, or have been here before, or anything like that.

Give me an idea of what you're bringing with you (Tenzin doesn't expect to be gone more than three or four days, and expects to spend most of that time in either Milpazul or San Citlan).

Let me know if you have any questions, and game on!

MCerberus
2023-09-15, 11:12 PM
Nibbles

After the Tenzin and Emily are done with the argue-discussion, a raspy, clicking noise comes from the top of a nearby shelf. As is usual, Nibbles has perched himself somewhere comfortable while he waits to join a conversation. "Astro-ley events effect local fauna. It has worth to study especially with native rituals surrounding. Ensure beasts don't eat me." With that the Kobold scurries over to take a good view of the viewport with his goggles on. Also running through his mind is a secret plan for the desert environment.

Once landed, he's the first one to slip out of the ship and runs ahead away. As much as he's comfortable around closed spaces like the ship it's been far too long for him to do one thing. Nibbles finds a nice, big, flat rock and lays down it face-up. The heat of the day hasn't gotten to the rock yet so it's cool while the sun is warm. It is very comfortable.

NontheistCleric
2023-09-16, 12:27 AM
https://i.ibb.co/6JxCH5V/Onward-II.jpg
Naraga (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2833158)
Tiefling Monk
AC: 19 | HP: 39/39 | THP: 0/0
PP: 14 | PIv: 10 | PIs: 16
Conditions: -
Ki: 4

Clinging to the upper rigging for safety, Naraga trails in the wind like a red-and-white flag as the ship slips into the world. He laughs, feeling the arid desert air kiss his skin, and reaches into his pack for a little marble elephant.

"Look, Wara," he whispers to it. "Solid ground again!"

Then he gets a closer look as the Jaunt drops into the Blossdunes.

"Or some kind of ground, anyway," he amends. "Don't worry, we'll find a place to stretch your legs yet. Here's one now."

Untangling himself from the ropes, he drifts gently over the rocky area and drops the hand-sized statuette, murmuring a magic word. Wara hits the ground and cracks, springing out of white stone into full-grown, leathery elephanthood.

"Ready to go, Captain!" Naraga calls to Tenzin with a jaunty salute.

Naraga will be taking all the items not listed in the 'Not Carried' section of his inventory (I assume he has a cabin or locker somewhere in the ship where he keeps those).

A full list:

Wara, Marble Elephant (currently deployed)
Shortbow
40 arrows
Quarterstaff
Backpack
2 days of rations
Full waterskin
4 gp
3 sp

JNAProductions
2023-09-16, 12:32 AM
Dressed in her leathers, custom-fitted to allow her wings out, and with a pack on her back, Laughter flits down to the rocky outcropping. She's about ready to head out, when she remembers something. "Bow-do not forget the bow."
She makes her way back to her quarters, grabs her bow, and returns! She looks down at Nibbles, and chuckles. "Sunning yourself there, Nibs?"

When Birel announces his intentions for the trip, Laughter sticks her tongue out at him. "I am fully capable of looking after myself! Anyone who says otherwise is in Bugsy's pocket! But, uh," she adds on, "I do appreciate you coming with. Thanks big guy."

MCerberus
2023-09-16, 09:52 AM
Nibbles

Instead of a coherent verbal response, Nibbles gives off a contented "Graaaaaaaaaaaaah" to Laughter while staying on the rock. It is a good place.

Millstone85
2023-09-16, 02:23 PM
https://i.imgur.com/HN9oQcXm.png (https://i.imgur.com/HN9oQcX.png)
Irides (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2832615)

Medium Humanoid (Shardmind), N
Druid 4, Circle of the Land of Stars

AC 17 (chain mail, shield)
HP 43, Speed 30 ft., PB +2

STR
12 (+1)DEX
14 (+2)CON
16 (+3)
INT
12 (+1)WIS
18 (+4)CHA
10 (+0)

Saving Throws Int +3, Wis +6
Skills Animal Handling +6, Athletics +3

Perception +6, Survival +6

Damage Resistances radiant

Senses passive Perception 16
Languages Common, Druidic, Ziklight

Conditions none

Irides takes the time to acclimate himself, not so much to the heat than to the oppressive overabundance of matter all around. This is far from his first visit to a material surface, yet to him such landings still feel like getting crushed between at least two elemental planes, in this case Air and Earth. The crew is considerate enough to give him space, or "give him wildspace" as the joke goes, whenever he looks overwhelmed in this way. Finally he finds his balance and makes his way off the ship.

Once he has found an area that seems stable enough, he calls for the beasts under his care. He does so by playing with the light as it courses through his crystalline body, turning it into colorful sparkles that only he and they understand, although the beasts recognize little beyond their own names and a few simple commands. Soon all six of the Crystal Critters, as the crew know them, emerge from the ship:
Paprika the ruby pangolin.
Rosemary the quartz spider.
Cinnamon the sard lynx.
Curry the topaz junglefowl.
Peppermint the jade millipede.
Borage the lapis porcupine.

Irides observes how they adapt to this new environment and he makes sure they understand the risks presented by the exceptionally light sands. For now this cuts him from the crew's conversation, though he does try to catch the gist of it.

truemane
2023-09-16, 02:45 PM
The going is slow at first. Emily insisted on examining everything in site and taking samples of whatever she could contain or carry. She was especially fascinated by the Blossdunes. "Think of all the things that have fallen in there over the years! The secrets they contain!"

Tenzin has to warn her away from the rocky edge more than once.

Eventually she is satisfied (and Nibbles gets a good, long soak in the bright morning sun) and they head off on the broken trail.

As the ground rises away from the Blossdunes the sand turns to hardpack dirt and vegetation appears: scrub grass, thorny shrubs, the occasional stunted, twisted tree. The wind sweeps down from the highland so the massive billowing clouds of sand retreat behind them and are replaced with sharp stinging grit.

After about an hour, the broken trail turns into a small, narrow path and then becomes a fairly well-kept road. Several other roads from further out in the Indigo Desert join it and, at the crossroads, is a sign that says:

↑ Milzapul, Rimcones, Onyx Springs, San Citlan
→ Maguey Valley, Hollow
↓ Indigo Desert (beware of blossdunes!)

After another hour they approach the village of Milpazul at the top of the hill. A stout, waist-high clay-brick wall surrounds the village, with the road ending in a tall, wide archway.

The sky is clear, but dark clouds cluster against the horizon, threatening rain to come.

Within the wall, about two dozen simple but well-built structures cluster around a stone well. A sign hangs, swinging from a single nail that says "Welcome to Milzapul."

As the group approaches, there's a man sitting on the wall, wearing a wide-brimmed straw hat and a old, faded serape that was once colourful.

When he sees the group approach, he leaps onto a tall, long-legged lizard and gallops off into the village.

In the distance, a plume of dust rises into the sky, indicating another group of people is entering the far side of Milzapul.

There's the sound of angry voices and then muffled cries of pain from behind one of the houses across the way.

In many of the windows of the houses, frightened faces peer our from behind curtains.

There are scufflings and sounds of people moving behind the wall.

JNAProductions
2023-09-16, 03:21 PM
Laughter takes to the air, angling for the house she heard the pained cries from. "Hey! What's going on?" she calls out.

Millstone85
2023-09-16, 03:27 PM
Irides always feels anxious when leaving the critters behind. Still, he does want to meet the giant lizards.

Proper introductions with the reptiles might have to wait, however, as the town seems agitated.

"Laughter, wait! There are people hiding behind the surrounding wall. Others are giving us frightened looks from the houses. I think the other side of the town is receiving unwanted visitors. They might think us in league with them!"

JNAProductions
2023-09-16, 03:28 PM
Stopping mid-air, she looks back to her friend. "Wouldn't that mean people are in danger? We have to help them!"

MCerberus
2023-09-16, 06:07 PM
Nibbles

After taking in some self-care time the first leg of the trip has been for Nibbles a little too mundane. It sounded like- oh there's danger. When Laughter calls out and Irides responds, Nibbles goes up on top of whatever the nearest vantage point is, whether it's just a small incline or a convenient strong shrub. His goggles make barely-audible clicking noises as they zoom around and help the kobold deal with the bright light. He hops down and makes his way quickly to near the front of the group.

"Irides speaks truth. Laughter concurs. We must not move aggressively; show we are to help."

NontheistCleric
2023-09-16, 09:16 PM
Tiefling Monk

Naraga has been floating along, letting himself be pulled through the air by keeping one hand on Wara's head.

"Aggressive motion is sometimes helpful," he remarks. "Still, perhaps the sharp things can be left..."

"Take care of these," he says, passing his bow and arrows into the curling grasp of Wara's trunk. Then he leaps off nothing, describing an arc that ends right behind the house across the way.

Millstone85
2023-09-17, 07:14 AM
"Captain, since Laughter and Naraga are already leaping into action, I believe that I should follow them. Unless you want me to stay and help make contact with the locals?"

truemane
2023-09-24, 05:00 PM
The moment Laughter takes to the skies, she can see a number of rough-looking ruffians crouching behind the short wall. They notice the fairy flying above them and, as one, they leap up.

One of them yells out "La Paloma pays for her crimes this day!" And they all attack.

As the battle is joined, Tenzin and Birel retreat behind the nearest rocky outcropping and crouch, ready to defend Emily against any threat.

Instantly, a hail of arrows fills the air. Laughter happened to make herself visible to the lion's share of bandits, and she draws their fire. Two arrows find their mark (one causing a rather grievous wound). The others all miss.

The remaining bandits hurl arrows at the three still on the road. One strikes Nibbles a solid hit. The rest miss.

Battle at Milzapul Archway! (https://www.owlbear.rodeo/room/P1xY62xRS2Ck/TheDeadWard)

Battle at Milzapul Archway - Round 1
Notes: Bandits' AC: 13
All Bandits currently have half-cover for ranged attacks.
The wall is a single square of Difficult Terrain, and requires an Athletics/Acrobatics check, DC 10, to vault

PC Initiative: Laughter - 22
Irides - 19
Aeon - 18
Nibbles - 16
Naraga - 9
Bandit Initiative: Bandit 1 - 9
Bandit 2 - 18
Bandit 3 - 22 (Natural 20)
Bandit 4 - 18
Bandit 5 - 8
Bandit 6 - 19
Bandit 7 - 10

Bandits go first! Bandit 1 attacks Nibbles with two Longbow arrows. Miss! Miss!
Bandit 2 attacks Nibbles with two Longbow arrows (w/Advantage). Miss! Hit for 7 piercing damage.
Bandit 3 attacks Naraga with two Longbow arrows (w/Advantage). Miss! Miss!
Bandit 4 attacks Laughter with two Longbow arrows. Miss! Miss!
Bandit 5 attacks Laughter with two Longbow arrows. Miss! Miss!
Bandit 6 attacks Laughter with two Longbow arrows. Miss! Critical Hit! 12 piercing damage.
Bandit 7 attacks Laughter with two Longbow arrows. Miss! Hit for 3 piercing damage.

PC's go next. Laughter has Advantage on Bandits 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7.
Irides has Advantage on Bandits 1, 2, 4, 5, 7.
Aeon has Advantage on Bandits 1, 2, 4, 5, 7.
Nibbles has Advantage on Bandits 1, 5, 7.
Naraga has Advantage on Bandit 5.

Bobthewizard
2023-09-24, 05:20 PM
https://i.imgur.com/CE2E6OV.jpg
Aeon (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2837005)
Astral Elf Rogue 4
AC: 17 | HP: 43/43 | THP: 0/0
PP: 14 | PIv: 16 | PIs: 16
Astral Step: 2 /2 LR

Aeon was on Tenzin's crew long before any of the others had joined. He doesn't do much on the ship, but has been valuable at negotiating contracts and diffusing potentially dangerous encounters. He prefers to talk his way out of trouble, but if needed, he carries a sword of starlight and isn't afraid of combat.

He dresses in fine clothes and looks like a noble or wealthy merchant, despite being neither of those. He was a Gith slave when Tenzin found him and saved his life.

He had travelled along ahead the others and, like Emily, was more excited about the festival than riding the lizards. He doesn't enjoy getting dirty and prefers more civilized areas than this sand covered rock. But Tenzin had asked him to secure the lizards, so he did. He was coming out of a building nearby when the ruffians arrived and started shooting arrows at Laughter.

"This won't do"

He blinks out of existence, appearing immediately next to one of the ruffians, his sword hilt erupting into a blade of starlight, which he uses to attack the ruffian before retreating, the light jumping to the next closest ruffian and burning them too.

Moves forward (blink is just fluff since he only had to move less than 30')
Use Green flame blade on bandit 1
Attack: [roll0]
Advantage [roll1]
Radiant Damage: [roll2]
Sneak Attack: [roll3] = 20 damage to #1
Green Flame Blade = 4 fire damage to adjacent enemy (#2)

https://www.owlbear.rodeo/room/P1xY62xRS2Ck/TheDeadWard

Millstone85
2023-09-24, 06:37 PM
https://i.imgur.com/HN9oQcXm.png
Shardmind Druid(Land/Stars) 4
AC 17 | HP 43/43 | THP 0
PP 16 | PIv 11 | PIs 14
Conditions -
Beam Weapon 2/2 pLR
Wild Shape 2/2 pR
S1 4/4 S2 3/3 pLR

Something in the manners of the wall defenders tells Irides that they are not, in fact, on the side of the town folks. As he moves to take cover behind a nearby rock, Irides reaches to a pouch and enchants three cracked grey shards, one of which he then throws at a ruffian.

BA to cast magic stone on three pebbles.

Action to throw a pebble at Bandit 1:

ranged spell attack [roll0] vs AC 13.
on a hit, [roll1] bludgeoning damage.

20 ft. movement to go behind the rock to the south.

Edit: Forgot the advantage. Rolling in OOC thread. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?659428-D-amp-D5E-OOC-Ethereal-Expeditions!/page3&p=25875550#post25875550)
The shard strikes true just as Irides takes cover.

JNAProductions
2023-09-25, 12:32 AM
"No," Laughter replies to the first arrow to strike home. The arrow hits its mark, but leaves nary a scratch. Instead, a nearby bandit suffers the full force of the shot.

"But, unfortunately, that made me angry!" she adds, diving down to pummel someone.

Cloud Rune says "Nah, that crit? That didn't hit me! It hit you!" Targeting the bandit that shot her with the crit, because screw that guy.
Once per short rest, though.

Then, punch!
[roll0]
[roll1] Advantage
[roll2] Bludgeoning Damage

Targeting the same bandit if they're up, otherwise number 7.

NontheistCleric
2023-09-25, 04:18 AM
Tiefling Monk

Naraga hasn't even let go of his bow when a barrage of arrows suddenly arcs out at the party. Already tensed to leap upwards, he instead throws his energy into a dodge that evades both the arrows aimed at him.

"Alright!" he shouts, pointing with one bow-end at the bandits. "We are now moving aggressively! Wara, destroy them!"

He shoots forward, catching one bandit with a horned headbutt, then continues on, flying towards the place he heard the cries of pain coming from. His tail follows up on the first strike as he goes, lashing the bandit in the face.

Dropping Naraga's quiver on the ground, Wara trumpets his customary battle-cry. Then he sets his tusks into a goring position and charges, transformed into a grey juggernaut of slaughter.

MCerberus
2023-09-25, 06:10 PM
Nibbles

Nibbles lets out a reflexive scream after being hit between the scales of his armor. He takes a split second to organize a plan of action. Trip them? Too many, too spread out. Nobody has fire ready. To the immediate needs of the group Laughter is hurt the most so he readies his spear and scurries out in front of bandit 7. The weapon itself starts glowing in faint light and starts attracting nearby ley winds before being thrust up towards the gut of the bandit.

"Fall and be silent," reverberates from Nibbles in a particularly harsh draconic curse.

[roll0] No advantage since bright light cancels it out.
[roll1]

truemane
2023-09-29, 08:31 AM
Chaos erupts in the village archway!

After the initial hail of arrows, the bandits may have been feeling pretty confident. But, like Tenzin sometimes says, that was then and this is now.

Laughter's magic turns a vicious strike into a vicious attack! The arrow turns and strikes its shooter with the same force. The bandit, shocked, seems barely conscious when Laughter follows up with a powerful haymaker, knocking him to the dirt.

Aeon blinks and reappears right in front of the trio to the west of the arch and strikes one down with a single beautiful swing of his green-flame wreathed blade. The nearby bandit screams in pain as he, too, is burned, but his screaming does not last long, as Irides hits him between the eyes with a magic rock, and he falls.

Naraga knocks another out with two strikes and, as he floes over the combat toward the village, his pet WAR ELEPHANT trumpets a challenge and charges the wall, crashing through it, goring another bandit, knocking him to the ground, and trampling him.

The three remaining bandits (rather reasonably), have had enough, and they drop their bows and flee the area. The run around the wall to the east, where there are several giant lizards tied and waiting.

They call out a retreat, mount, and tear off out of the village.

(Naraga sees a couple more bandits flee from within the village as the retreat is sounded, probably one of those was causing the cries of pain they heard)

In the quiet after the melee, a handful of villagers emerge from their houses. Two or three come over to the party, thanking them for dealing with the ruffians. A few others lurk by the well, wary and suspicious.

A few villagers are moving among the houses, finding and tending to those who were hurt.

One of those is a tall, skeletally thin person in a pretty bright yellow and magenta sundress. But as they walk, it becomes clear they aren't skeletAL, they are, in fact, an actual skeleton.

They are leading the efforts to soothe the wounded, and the villagers approach them with some respect.

There are three wounded villagers who were roughed up by the bandits (two superficially, one rather badly - hence the cries of pain).

Once the situation seems under control, the skeleton walks over to the archway. Up close their dress is clearly clean, well-made, and well-cared for. And there are several hand-made necklaces hanging from the exposed vertebrae of their neck.

"Thank you, travelers," their voice is high, clear, and musical, "I don't where you've come from. There is nothing south for hundreds of leagues, but thank you. You must be parched. Will come you come and have a drink? On the house, of course."

They gesture toward the largest building in the village, which has the name 'Forget-me-Not' over the door, and the entire front wall of which is plastered with pictures, hastily scrawled notes, and various small items of remembrance.

NontheistCleric
2023-09-29, 08:49 AM
Tiefling Monk

"Ah!" says Naraga, landing in front of the badly wounded villager. "You are the hurt one!"

He extends a hand, palm open.

"I am a healer. Take my hand and be made well."

JNAProductions
2023-09-29, 11:37 AM
Laughter alights on the ground, her wings folding back against her back. She starts to approach the injured, but Naraga beats her to the punch-for the best, honestly. She's not a healer.

She looks up at the skeleton. "Um, sure. Thank you. I'm Laughter-you?" she asks.

Bobthewizard
2023-09-29, 02:54 PM
https://i.imgur.com/CE2E6OV.jpg
Astral Elf Rogue 4

Aeon starts to chase after the fleeing bandits, but once he realizes he is on his own, he lets them escape. He then wanders back to the others and watches while Naraga heals the wounded villager. He is a bit taken back by the sight of the skeleton, but relaxes when it is clear the undead creature means us no harm.

Upon hearing the offer for a drink, Aeon first looks to Tenzin, and when the captain seems interested, Aeon accepts as well.

"A drink would be great. I am Aeon. Will those bandits be back as soon as we leave? Perhaps we should hunt them down."

https://www.owlbear.rodeo/room/P1xY62xRS2Ck/TheDeadWard

Millstone85
2023-09-29, 05:52 PM
Hearing no further call for a healer, Irides walks under the arch at a leisurely pace which becomes hurried as falling dust reminds him of the structure's recent encounter with Wara.

Other druids might take offense with the presence of the undead, even druids made of crystal, ooze, metal or other deviations from standard organic life. But the Jaunt had flown not only to many worlds of the Material but also to their echoes in the Feywild and the Shadowfell. This had allowed Irides to meet druids with a different understanding of nature.

"I am Irides, a shardmind druid." he introduces himself. "My friends are taking me on a very long journey to witness many wonders. We have been told of the Night of the Remembered, and are looking forward to it, but I at least did not expect to meet a revered ancestor so soon."

truemane
2023-10-01, 01:24 PM
Anyone who searches the bodies of the bandits finds that they each have a small pouch with a handful of silver and gold (10 pieces of silver and 5 pieces of gold). And one of them has a rolled up parchment. It's a Wanted poster, with the drawing of a middle-aged female Gnome. PALOMA, says the poster, WANTED FOR THEFT ARSON MURDER 500 GOLD DEAD OR ALIVE.

"Ah!" says Naraga, landing in front of the badly wounded villager. "You are the hurt one!"

He extends a hand, palm open.

"I am a healer. Take my hand and be made well."
The villager accepts Naraga's help and thanks the Tiefling. A nearby villager's eyes widen. "A healer? Please will you help us? Many of our family are afflicted with a horrible disease called sereno that causes them to waste away and die in the night."

And, indeed, now that he is among the buildings, Naraga can see villagers huddled up on stoops and verandah's, serape's pulled tight, skin pale and ashen, shivering even though the sun is high and bright.

Laughter alights on the ground, her wings folding back against her back. She starts to approach the injured, but Naraga beats her to the punch-for the best, honestly. She's not a healer.

She looks up at the skeleton. "Um, sure. Thank you. I'm Laughter-you?" she asks.

"I am Irides, a shardmind druid." he introduces himself. "My friends are taking me on a very long journey to witness many wonders. We have been told of the Night of the Remembered, and are looking forward to it, but I at least did not expect to meet a revered ancestor so soon."
The skeleton somehow smiles (despite the lack of facial expression) at the fairy. "What a wonderful name! Were you given than name at birth? Or did you earn it somehow? I am glad to make your acquaintance, Laughter. My name is Rufina."

Rufina laughs and shakes their head at Irides. "I am no honoured ancestor, but an olvidado, a spirit who did not return to the afterlife after the Festival ended. I don't know why. No one does. But I have found a small, quiet, happy life here in Milzapul."

They frown (again, more in their essence than anything to do with their face). "At least, until recently, when all these troubles have begun. Even my beloved pulquieria has become a permanent reminder of sorrow." They gesture toward the wall of the tavern, which they can now see is covered in posters begging for help, asking for information about missing people, or with remembrances of those who have died.

COLOR="#0000FF"]"A drink would be great. I am Aeon. Will those bandits be back as soon as we leave? Perhaps we should hunt them down."[/COLOR]
Rufina leads them toward the tavern. "I fear they will be back. I believe they thought you were in league with Paloma, a wanted criminal with a bounty high enough to attract that sort of vermin."

They think a moment.

"I do not think you will have much luck hunting them down. In San Citlan we have a saying: sand for the desert rats, and desert rats for the sand. It, loses something in translation. But it means they know these lands very well, and will not easily be found."

INSIDE THE TAVERN
(for when everyone is done outside)

The inside of the Forget-me-Not is cool and dark after the heat and light of the desert sun. The inside walls are painted in massive, brightly-coloured murals depicting armed conflicts that end in celebrations by villagers. Behind the bar is a single large picture of an elderly human human. At the base of the picture is a small cluster of candles with offerings of cactus fruit and drinks.

At a table near the rear corner sit two dwarves, sipping drinks and eying the newcomers with suspicion.

Rufina serves the party pulque, an alcoholic beverage made from fermented agave sap. They also put out several plates of beans and rice and tortillas.

"There are rooms above, if you need," Rufina says, "We've had no proper visitors for some time now. Not since the sereno outbreak."

NontheistCleric
2023-10-01, 01:53 PM
Tiefling Monk
Ki: 2

The villager accepts Naraga's help and thanks the Tiefling. A nearby villager's eyes widen. "A healer? Please will you help us? Many of our family are afflicted with a horrible disease called sereno that causes them to waste away and die in the night."

And, indeed, now that he is among the buildings, Naraga can see villagers huddled up on stoops and verandah's, serape's pulled tight, skin pale and ashen, shivering even though the sun is high and bright.

"In the night..." Naraga murmurs thoughtfully. "It is not so simple to banish disease as to close a wound, but let me have a look at your sick."

"Wara!" he calls. "Fetch my quiver, would you?"

He flies over to Rufina and bows.

"Apologies, noble host. I have been asked to lend my healer's eye to the afflicted. In my place, could you water my elephant? See, he is coming now."

Returning to the villager who asked for help, Naraga allows himself to be led to one of the ill villagers.

"Can you tell me how this plague began?" he asks as he inspects his patient.

MCerberus
2023-10-01, 02:02 PM
Nibbles

Only now only slightly bleeding (it shouldn't be noticed much), Nibbles follows the group into the bar. He takes a look around and tries to think about other similar cultural practices shown that they've seen or talked about before. The shrine seems to match something he remembers hearing from Emily's home plane. Maybe it wasn't actually as dead in magic if this kind of ritual is used elsewhere.

The curious comment about about this sereno does get his attention at least, enough to not immediately give into the lizard-brain urge to go all-in on the sweetened alcohol. With everything going on he may need to think. It doesn't stop him from finding whatever on serve food-wise is the spiciest and jamming it into a tortilla while commenting, "Tell me about this sereno. Is it linked to the other troubles?"

Bobthewizard
2023-10-01, 03:25 PM
Aeon (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2837005) Astral Elf Rogue 4

Aeon collects the coins and the poster from the dead bandit, leaving any weapons and armor for the locals to salvage. When he hears of the Sereno, he leaves that to the others and follows Rufina into her tavern, pausing to look at the wall of remembrance with at least some respect. He knows he will be no help in curing an outbreak.

"So many are missing. What do you think is the cause?"

Once inside, Aeon orders a glass of pulque and drinks it slowly. It burns more than he likes, but it is tolerable. After chasing it with a large glass of water, he shows the poster to Rufina.

"This Paloma - are they a real bandit, or someone unjustly accused?"

Millstone85
2023-10-01, 04:50 PM
"Apologies, noble host. I have been asked to lend my healer's eye to the afflicted. In my place, could you water my elephant? See, he is coming now."

Returning to the villager who asked for help, Naraga allows himself to be led to one of the ill villagers."I will stay with Wara, the elephant, while he uses the lizards' abreuvoir." Irides tells Rufina. "I will join you all inside afterward."

"BRRRAOOH!" trumpets Wara and Irides needs no magic to know what this is about.

"No, Wara! Remember that time we found you in a tree, being bothered by crows. Water will suffice."

Once Wara seems properly hydrated and cleaned, Irides joins the others at the table.

Rufina serves the party pulque, an alcoholic beverage made from fermented agave sap. They also put out several plates of beans and rice and tortillas.Watching the shardmind eat can be slightly disturbing. The space under his eyes usually shows only the vague idea of a nose and then a flat surface where a mouth should be. As he holds a taco, however, his head fragments and takes on a more insectile appearance, numerous crystalline mandibles acting in concert to attack the food. He otherwise eats silently while his friends ask their questions.

JNAProductions
2023-10-01, 06:51 PM
"It's my given name, from my youngest days. Thank you, Rufina, for the kind words."

Tavern
Laughter swigs a long drought of the booze, and sets her glass down. "That's some good stuff... But, what Aeon said. Tenzin's had some bounties on his head, and he's a fine fellow."

truemane
2023-10-02, 10:24 PM
Returning to the villager who asked for help, Naraga allows himself to be led to one of the ill villagers.

"Can you tell me how this plague began?" he asks as he inspects his patient.
The villager frowns and looks for the right words. "It came with an evil wind gustin' out of Maguey Valley to the south. The winds are bitter, bitter cold. Smell of the grave. Only blow at night. And sereno follows."

After examining several of the afflicted villagers, Naraga becomes convinced that whatever sereno is, or wherever it comes from, it's not a disease. It's a curse.

"Tell me about this sereno. Is it linked to the other troubles?"
Rufina pauses in their movement behind the bar and looks over at the hungry little kobold. If they are at all surprised to see a kobold, they do not show it.

"Sereno is a horrible illness, spread by a bitter cold wind that blows up from Meguey Valley. Anyone who falls ill can be kept alive by staying in bright sunlight. But they all wind up wasting away in the night. Some live days. Some weeks. A few strong souls live months. But it takes them all in the end."

"So many are missing. What do you think is the cause?"

Once inside, Aeon orders a glass of pulque and drinks it slowly. It burns more than he likes, but it is tolerable. After chasing it with a large glass of water, he shows the poster to Rufina.

"This Paloma - are they a real bandit, or someone unjustly accused?"
Rufina (even though they don't breath) somehow takes a deep breath. "Some of the missing have fallen to sereno. Maybe most. But not all. Both soldiers of the Landlords of San Citlan, and the bounty-hunters, have been more active on the roads lately. And simple folk often fall victim when there aren't good people like yourselves nearby to help."

Rufina looks over at the dwarves and then back. "Paloma was falsely accused of horse theft some time ago, when she started speaking out against unfair taxes and evictions among the famers around San Citlan. Since then she's gone underground, and has taken to raiding the estates and vaults of the landowners and returning what she takes to the people. She is much beloved by everyone here."

"I will stay with Wara, the elephant, while he uses the lizards' abreuvoir." Irides tells Rufina. "I will join you all inside afterward."
There isn't much water in Milzapul. Not much available anyway. the riding lizards eat and drink almost nothing. And there is only a single well.

There is a small horse stable at the far edge of the village, where sturdy work ponies are kept. They have a couple of troughs of water hidden away from the sweltering sun.

It's not as much water as Wara might want. But enough for a drink and a few messy sprays over the back and head.

"It's my given name, from my youngest days. Thank you, Rufina, for the kind words."

Tavern
Laughter swigs a long drought of the booze, and sets her glass down. "That's some good stuff... But, what Aeon said. Tenzin's had some bounties on his head, and he's a fine fellow."
Rufina somehow manages to frown angrily. "I think anyone with the money to be handing out bounties is apt to hand them out to people who interfere with their money. It's just an investment to these people."

NontheistCleric
2023-10-02, 11:29 PM
Tiefling Monk

The villager frowns and looks for the right words. "It came with an evil wind gustin' out of Maguey Valley to the south. The winds are bitter, bitter cold. Smell of the grave. Only blow at night. And sereno follows."

After examining several of the afflicted villagers, Naraga becomes convinced that whatever sereno is, or wherever it comes from, it's not a disease. It's a curse.
"Evil is the word," Naraga says, standing up from his last patient and addressing the villager again. "This is no disease, my friend. A curse has been laid on these people. I tell you this not to frighten you, but so you know what you face. Do not worry–this could even be called good. Disease is the most intangible thing of all. Just when you think you have chased it clear, it may yet squirm back into your body. But a curse... as long as the source of the power is known, one can always break a curse."

"Excuse me," he says, rising a few inches into the air. "I must inform my friends of what I have learned."

Rufina pauses in their movement behind the bar and looks over at the hungry little kobold. If they are at all surprised to see a kobold, they do not show it.

"Sereno is a horrible illness, spread by a bitter cold wind that blows up from Meguey Valley. Anyone who falls ill can be kept alive by staying in bright sunlight. But they all wind up wasting away in the night. Some live days. Some weeks. A few strong souls live months. But it takes them all in the end."

"Not an illness!" Naraga exclaims, half-flying, half-running into the tavern. "I have inspected your people, host Rufina, and they are not sick. It is a curse! I think your south wind must carry some wicked magic upon it."

"Oh, but there is food," he notices then, settling into a chair and gathering some rice and beans into a tortilla. "Thank you."

"Anyway," he says, pausing after a few mouthfuls and a drink, "if the curse is to be broken, I think it will be necessary to venture into that valley. The evil no doubt lurks there–if not somewhere beyond it."

JNAProductions
2023-10-03, 11:50 AM
"That sounds like something we should do," Laughter says, already heavily invested into these people's wellbeing. "I think the rest of the crew can keep your town safe, but just keeping the status quo isn't nearly good enough."

She munches on a bite of food, taking another sip to wash it down. "What's in the valley? Does anyone know?"

Bobthewizard
2023-10-03, 12:42 PM
Aeon (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2837005) Astral Elf Rogue 4

Aeon isn't all that excited to go running off looking for curses that can kill you within a few days. He'd rather find this Paloma and see if we can help them with their raids, but he knows that the others are going to jumping and try to help. And it has worked for us so far in our adventures. So after a brief internal struggle, he relents, and tries to find out more about the curse.

"Rufina, what else do you know about the source of these winds?"

Millstone85
2023-10-03, 05:38 PM
Irides tries the alcohol, shaping his lower mandibles into a canal to guide it down. The sensation is pleasant, though the shardmind doesn't know if the experience is at all similar to the one he would get with tastebuds.

He eventually puts his meal on hold, letting the food already inside slowly turn to stone while his chin reforms itself into a resonance chamber. Irides could have expressed himself with telepathy but some people would then incorrectly deduce that he could read minds. In the past, that had been cause for confusion at best and offense at worst.

"A curse that strikes under the stars and is repelled by sunlight. An all-too-common insult to the sacred beauty of the night. And a tragedy regardless, of course. I agree we must investigate."

truemane
2023-10-03, 07:52 PM
Rufina's skeletal face somehow looks astounded. "A curse? Not a disease? A curse? I... I'm not sure how to even feel about that. We haven't had a Cleric in Milzapul for a generation or more."

They listen to the others' questions.

"Meguey Valley is a wasteland. There's nothing out there. Nothing at all."

Just then a small door in the back corner opens and an elderly Gnome enters the room. She is tall (for a Gnomes) and wrapped in a large, thick rebozo (a kind of draping shawl). Despite this, she is shivering visibly and walking with a tired, lurching limp.

Her face is brown and wrinkled. Her features are sharp and the set of her jaw is stubborn and fierce. Even in her exhaustion, her eyes blaze with fierce determination. Whoever thought it was a good to frame her for horse-theft was a foolish person indeed.

As she enters, the two dwarves jump to their feet and fall in place behind her.

"That's not quite true, Rufina," she says, "The Valley is sparse, but not empty."

She turns to the party. "Hello. I am Paloma. I am sorry for the troubles you have received here in my name. I do not know where you have come from, or why, but I think you may be able to help. If you are willing."

(Tenzin, Emily, and Birel had gone out to get some air just a minute or two ago. Which is too bad. They really would have found this interesting.)

NontheistCleric
2023-10-03, 08:12 PM
Tiefling Monk

"That's alright," Naraga says in reply to Paloma's apology. "It wasn't that much trouble."

"So, how do you think we can we help you?" he asks her.

Bobthewizard
2023-10-03, 08:24 PM

Aeon stands a gives Paloma a formal greeting, similar to one he had been trained to do as an ambassador, but slightly more friendly. It's a quick nod of the head and small flourish of his hand as he offers it to the gnome.

"Paloma. It is nice to meet you. I think this is yours. Can you guide us through the wasteland?"

He hands her the wanted poster we had taken off the dead bandit.

JNAProductions
2023-10-03, 10:36 PM
"More annoyed than troubled, really," Laughter says. She drops from her seat to stand in front of Paloma, slightly shorter than the gnome. "I'm Laughter," she adds with a hand held out to shake. "And I'm more than willing to help."

Millstone85
2023-10-04, 04:07 PM
"Hello. I am Paloma. I am sorry for the troubles you have received here in my name."
"It wasn't that much trouble."
"More annoyed than troubled, really,""We certainly were more trouble to them than they were to us. I am Irides, glad to meet you."

MCerberus
2023-10-05, 07:50 PM
Nibbles

With some spiced up rice wrapped in a tortilla Nibbles enthusiastically starts chomping down during the conversation taking several tiny little bites until the flavor successfully fills his maw. One would question whether the hatchling tender that named him was prescient. After a gulp he starts to try and make connection.

"Someone that does not want to be found and needs shade may use the place. What lives there, Paloma?"

truemane
2023-10-09, 09:18 PM
Paloma listens to everyone. Her guards, seeing that no one seems about to attack their boss, relax and stand back a bit.

"If indeed you are willing to help, then I may know a way that you can."

Paloma pulls a chair to the side and (with some difficulty, she is clearly very ill) sits.

"About a month ago, I was riding in Maguey Valley with my crew, looking for the source of the winds. We saw a large coal-black owl flitting from rock to rock, seemingly following us. My partner, Lope, a Druid of the Circle of the Desert Sands, said it was no natural owl."

A look of pain crosses her face.

"We gave chase, and the owl transformed into a horrid half-human, half-avian creature. We fought, and wounded the beast, but it escaped into the desert."

"Lope was convinced it was a fiend of some kind and began her research. Her studies agreed with yours, Naraga, that it was a curse and not an illness. She further believed that killing the source of the curse would end it for everyone."

She paused. Took a breath.

"Lope died of Sereno a week later. I contracted it not long after. I feel I don't have long left."

She shivered and pulled her rebozo tighter around her.

"Since then, I have heard reports of a coal-black owl coming and going from the abandoned town of Hollow, deep in Maguey Valley. Just outside of Hollow is an old mine. I suspect the fiend is living there. And that is the source of the winds. And the Sereno."

She set her keen gaze on the party.

"If you are truly willing to assist, I could draw you a map to Hollow. And, if you are successful, I will happily give you several gems I've acquired, each of which is very valuable, but not much use out here."

A look of sadness passed across her face. She reaches into her pocket and draws out a bright-green ring carved to looks as though it were woven from the legs of crickets.

"This is Lope's Ring of Jumping. She does not need it anymore, but it is possible one of you may find some use for it."

NARAGA, Outside the Forget-me-Not
Meanwhile, the Tiefling is brought before the sickest villagers. She lays her hands on the first and suffuses them with positive energy. They close their eyes and smile, momentarily enjoying the sensation, but moments later their skin regains is pallor, they resume their horrid shivering, and they fall back into exhausted sleep.

Healing magic, alas, will not help here.

MCerberus
2023-10-09, 10:04 PM
Nibbles

Deep in contemplative thought Nibbles tries to think about the easy answers for what this can be? Shape changing spell? Rabid owlbears? The kobold emits a low clicking growl thinking things over before taking a large (moderately-sized to most) bite of the burrito. He's generally looking for anything he's seen or read about that matches the pattern.

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2023-10-09, 10:16 PM
Laughter nods solemnly. "We're sorry for your loss. But we'll at least make sure her death wasn't in vain. The curse will be broken, I swear it!"

NontheistCleric
2023-10-09, 10:55 PM
Tiefling Monk

"Hm," Naraga muses. "Hopefully it will be as simple as killing the source."

"But in any case, we must leave at once!" he says. "It is now just past dawn. If we wish to end this curse before any more die–or we are seized by it ourselves–time is limited."

He kneels down beside Paloma and clasps her hand in his. "Please, do draw us the map. Before I go to make my friend the elephant ready, take a little of my strength. It may make no difference... but it may also save you a night or two longer, until the curse is broken."

Pausing to take a long drink of water, he strides back outside, calling for Wara.

"Wara! Come, it is time for us to go off walking again. The others will be along shortly–they are just getting a map."

Then he turns to one of the villagers. "Can you bring me to whoever is most poorly from sereno? My friends and I are leaving to seek the source of this curse, but I have power enough to try fortifying one more first."

Meanwhile, the Tiefling is brought before the sickest villagers. She lays her hands on the first and suffuses them with positive energy. They close their eyes and smile, momentarily enjoying the sensation, but moments later their skin regains is pallor, they resume their horrid shivering, and they fall back into exhausted sleep.

Naraga frowns.

"It seems this curse allows not even temporary relief," he tells the villager who brought him. "Irides might be able to do something, but on his own he could only restore a few–and then the wind would simply blow again. You will just have to wish us swiftness, then, and hope the curse-master is not as beyond us as his magic is beyond ours."

Leaping into the air, he lands on Wara's back.

"Ready to go?" he whispers into one grey ear.

Bobthewizard
2023-10-10, 05:15 AM

Aeon looks at the map, but mostly looks with concern at Paloma. He hopes she doesn't die while we are gone.

"Paloma. If you come with us, I could keep you in sunlight throughout the nights."

He pulls out the pommel of a sword and allows the blade of light to erupt from it, filling the room with sunlight. He speaks again, this time looking to both Paloma and the rest of the crew.

"How far is Hollow? If it is far, would it be faster to take the ship?"

Milpazul, riding lizards
Maguey Valley, evil wind
Hollow, mine with owl demon
San Citlan, Night of the Remembered
Blossdunes, sand so light that you can fall into it and drown like water
Rufina, Skeleton in Milpazul
Paloma, bandit who fights for the people

Millstone85
2023-10-10, 06:18 AM

Compassion and courage, the pillars of a heroic mindset. Irides does not possess much of either, not on his own, but as always his companions' enthusiasm is pleasantly contagious. He follows Naraga, offering to soothe a handful more villagers with healing magic.

Naraga (and anyone who has either spell on their class list) would know that Remove Curse or Lesser Restoration might help.Alas, it soon becomes clear that Irides' prepared spells are not up to the task. Spending the night in town would open new possibilities but also likely bring new patients. The sense of urgency deepens.

truemane
2023-10-15, 01:35 PM
INSIDE THE FORGET-ME-NOT
Paloma smiles a tired smile and bows her head at the elf's offer. "I am humbled by your generosity, but I would never take succor for myself that others could not. If it be my fate to pass before the plague is ended, then at least I will have done all I can to help those under my care."

She draws a basic map from Milzapul to the town of Hollow. It's not an overly complicated route: a few broken game trails, combined with the remnants of the Old Meguay Road, keeping the buttes to the left and the mountains to the right.

Hollow is nestled into a wide, shallow caldera in the tip of the Silver Vein Mountains.

"From what I remember, it is a half-day's journey," Ruffina adds, and then (somehow) blushes. "Although it has been many years since I went there."

Paloma nods. "12 hours, give or take, though the way is not as safe as it was. The forests of the high hills are choked with strange creatures that sometimes wander down into the valley. So be careful. And whatever you do, don't travel at night."

OUTSIDE, IN MILZAPUL
By the time the talking is done, Tenzin, Emily, and Birel return from the stables, having secured several of Milzapul's famous Giant Lizard Riding Mounts.

"The bandits made off with some," Tenzin said, "And the stablemaster is most distraught. So there are only four available. Emily and I have decided to stay here and help ease the people as best we can."

Birel rumbles angrily. "I have decided to join the hunting party that will chase after the lizard-thieves." He turns to Laughter. "I hope you do not take it amiss. I have full faith in your ability to help these people, and I would also like to be sure I am helping where I can."

And with that, with the muted thanks and farewells of the people ringing in their ears, it was time to go.

JNAProductions
2023-10-15, 01:41 PM
Laughter hugs her big friend. "We're needed in different places, but we'll meet again, no doubt. Good luck, Birel!" She waves her goodbyes, and then flits up to the top of one of the lizards. Taking the reigns, she experimentally moves them a bit-checking to make sure they're not too tight on her mount, how well said mount responds, and generally getting acclimated to the lizard-riding she's about to undergo.

We've had a short rest, yee? I don't need to spend hit dice, but others might, and abilities refresh.

NontheistCleric
2023-10-15, 02:14 PM
Tiefling Monk
Ki: 0

"Oh, right, the lizards!"

Naraga hops down and takes a lizard's lead, then hands it to Wara.

"Guide this one. I prefer to ride on you, but maybe we will take long enough that you are marble again on the way back."

As the party departs, he waves to the villagers and crew from his elephant-back perch, smiling and hoping he seems more confident than he feels. Sometimes you set out to save people, and sometimes you do.

But other times, you just have to settle for turning them all into statues. Or something like that.

Same question about the short rest, especially since Naraga burned his ki already (I'm not sure if the failed healings counted, but I'll err on the side of caution and mark it as spent for now).

If not, can the first hour of travel count as a short rest, provided nothing dramatic happens?

Bobthewizard
2023-10-15, 04:41 PM

Since Aeon isn't much of an outdoor type, he'd rather we have a guide. He looks at Paloma and Rufina.

"Paloma. The offer wasn't charity. We were asking you to help. Or maybe there is someone else who can guide us. But I don't want to put anyone in danger."

Outside, he says goodbye to Tenzin, a slight tear in his eyes as he turns away from his captain. He wipes it off quickly and prepares for the journey.

Let's assume for plot reasons no one can help use, so he'll provide the help action for either Nibbles or Irides.

Milpazul, riding lizards
Maguey Valley, evil wind

MCerberus
2023-10-15, 09:11 PM
Nibbles

With the talk of departing, Nibbles ends up scurrying off towards the stable. Getting back into the light suddenly is not so pleasant so he's got his goggles on. Inspecting the lizards he takes a look around taking a long up-close look at one of them.

"Scurrying is better than marching for tiny legs. I would like to double-up on one of the lizards. They won't eat me, correct?"

NontheistCleric
2023-10-15, 11:03 PM
"They look very tame to me," Naraga calls down to Nibbles. "Besides, you are small and armored. Not a good meal. I am all big and soft and the colour of spilt blood! That is why I am up here."

Millstone85
2023-10-17, 06:19 AM
Irides gives his temporary goodbyes to his captain, navigator and fellow crewmate. He then introduces himself to the giant lizards who, as familiar as they might be with walking bones, might still need time getting used to walking rocks.

It is decided that Irides and Nibbles will be on map duty. The druid of the Circle of the Star Lands produces a wildspace orrery. While its display of the local celestial bodies is largely useless for the journey ahead, it also serves as a channel for divine guidance.

truemane
2023-10-20, 01:32 PM
Nibbles

"Scurrying is better than marching for tiny legs. I would like to double-up on one of the lizards. They won't eat me, correct?"

The stablemaster smiles and shakes his head. "Naw, they're trained from hatching what's food and what's not food. And you're not food. Plus, when it comes to Riding Lizards, you got your two options: you ride em hungry, or you ride em full."

Ride em hungry and they're the very devil to keep on track, but they run fast, and will bite anything you let them near, which is good for when you think you run into something dangerous."

"Ride em full and they're easy-going as kittens but also just as lazy. They walk slow and won't do nothing they don't need to."

He pauses and waves at the lizards everyone is mounting.

"These bunch are all well-fed. So you ought to have no trouble with 'em."

And with that, the party heads out.

MEGUEY VALLEY
The road out of town starts descending the long, shallow slope into the long, broad valley that dominates the lands southwest of Milzapul.

As the land drops and the horizon goes up and up and up, the air starts to cool and retain moisture. The harsh tufts of scrubgrass shorten and broaden out into carpets of light-green and brown groundcover. Small copses of tall, spindly trees with long, narrow leaves can be seen here and there.

They see the occasional homestead, usually back from the road, behind large fields of what few crops grow here. More than half of them lie cold and empty, their fields starting to run to weeds.

The road here is more of an idea than a passageway, and narrows to a trail and even disappears often. Without Irides carefully watching their course, it would have been all to easy to wander off into the scrublands and be lost.

Naraga and the others, watching the many rocks and crags and caves and rocks and hills carefully, see signs of the passage of various creatures. Human leavings, sure, but also large patches of what looks like bird dung, but even dried out it smells like death from far away, and is seemingly so corrosive and poisonous that it kills all plants for a dozen meters everywhere it lands.

There are some other signs, too, of large humanoids (as in, larger than humans, but maybe not quite "giant") who've moved across the road several times. And some of the empty homesteads show signs of pillaging: broken windows, smashed walls, some burned to the ground.

Naraga, about four hours in, does see several large bird-like creatures lurking on a crag, looking hungry and predatory. But having seen them, he is able to help Irides navigate a way around them.

These are Perytons: vicious, monstrous carnivorous birds.

About six hours into their journey, the road drops into what seems to be a long-dried riverbed. Irides is certain this is the way direct to Hollow.

The bed is wide, but the sides rise sharply on either side of them and loom threateningly.

Two hours later they can see the remains of a large homestead (almost a manor!) whose buildings come right up to the edge of the culvert.

Naraga, watching carefully, sees a massive two-headed figure lurking among the remains. It thinks it's hidden behind a structure. But it is not.

This is an Ettin: bad-tempered, greedy, and always up for a fight

But it does see them. And is ready for them. And it's not long before it tenses to take action. And then, from an overgrown bunch of trees farther in, another steps out.

Battle is joined!

Battle of Riverbed Manor! (https://www.owlbear.rodeo/room/P1xY62xRS2Ck/TheDeadWard)

Battlefield Conditions: the riverbed walls are 10 feet high here, and require an Athletics/Climb Check DC 12 to scale.

Ettin 1: 1
Ettin 2: 15

Irides: 6
Laughter: 7
Aeon: 11
Nibbles: 21
Naraga: 22

Heroes go first!

Everyone may attack Ettin 1 (the one closes) at Advantage (round 1 only).

Naraga and Nibbles may attack either Ettin at Advantage (round 1 only).

Ettins have AC 12. Each is armed with a battleaxe and a morningstar, and:

They each have a large bulging pouch hanging from their belts. And the familiar horrendous smell of bird-dung hangs in the air

JNAProductions
2023-10-20, 01:39 PM
"YAAAAH!" Laughter yells out a battle cry as she grows to match the size of the brute, zooming ahead and punching a haymaker into the nearer of the two beefy baddies.

[roll0]
[roll1] Advantage

[roll2] Bludgeoning damage
[roll3] Giant Might damage

Bobthewizard
2023-10-20, 02:18 PM

Aeon was enjoying the ride until they came upon the bird poop. He doesn't know what could make that much and that awful of a smell. When the creatures jump out at us though, he recognizes them.

"Ettins!"

He jumps off his lizard and charges the creatures. Once he attacks, he moves away enticing the creature to follow him.

17 to hit, 15 radiant damage, 1 thunder if it moves
BA disengage then move away

Milpazul, riding lizards
Maguey Valley, evil wind

NontheistCleric
2023-10-20, 02:24 PM
Tiefling Monk
Ki: 0

"So, this fellow isn't cursed," Naraga mutters. "Maybe he can tell us something. Try not to kill, Wara. Just beat him almost dead."

Unslinging his staff, he flies at the hulking figure and swings. The wild, two-handed blow goes wide, but he channels the momentum into a knee strike to the enemy's shoulder.

Wara is close behind, barreling into their adversary and spearing him with a merciless tusk.

Millstone85
2023-10-20, 02:42 PM
Shardmind Druid (Star Lands) 4
AC 17 | HP 43/43 | THP 0
PP 16 | PIv 11 | PIs 14
Conditions -
Beam Weapon 2/2 pLR
Wild Shape 2/2 pR
S1 4/4 S2 3/3 pLR

The well-fed lizards are proving slow but docile, just like the stablemaster said.

When Naraga sights the bird-like creatures, Irides is able to put a name on the source of the smelly feces that have been indisposing Aeon. They are perytons, not only carnivorous but with a reputation of viciousness.

Later on, when the two ettins attack...
[roll0] plus [roll1]Irides notices how they both have a large bulging pouch hanging from their belts. And the familiar horrendous smell of bird-dung hangs in the air.

"Careful, they have literal ****bags on them!" Irides yells, as he vaguely recalls a particularly dangerous use for such material and prays the ettins are not clever enough for it.

He then follows his companions into battle. He keeps his orrery in hand for now, hoping it will help with the riverbed wall...

Millstone85
2023-10-20, 02:53 PM
[roll0] plus [roll1]Alas, the druid is not sufficiently in tune with the natural terrain this time, stumbling down the slope.

truemane
2023-10-23, 03:28 PM
The lead Ettin takes two might blows. The first from Laughter, who cracks one of its prognathous jaws with a single punch. And Aeon strikes it with his sword, surrounding it in a shimmering field of energy.

Meanwhile, Naraga flies at the creature but misses, Wara (not at all build for climbing) just manages to scramble up the slope. Irides (clearly also not built for climbing) does not manage to climb the slope.

However, as Wara is scrambling up, he sees the Shardmind struggling, and gives him a boost with his trunk. Irides manages to reach the top, but is too shaky to do much else.

(Nibbles finds a small crag in the rocky slope and hides. No doubt preparing some unpleasant surprise)

The lead Ettin bellows in pain and rage and swings both of its massive weapons at Laughter (who is a much bigger target now). But both miss. Badly. Perhaps that broken jaw threw off his aim.

The farther back Ettin, however seems to have no such problem.

It reaches into its pouch and pulls out two large objects that look like hand-rolled balls of sand.

It hurls them both through the air. One hits Naraga straight in the chest and the other hits Laughter in the face. As soon as the balls impact it is clear they are indeed made of the corrosive, toxic, sticky bird dung they saw along the way.

Aside the impact, the dung instantly starts to eat away at any exposed skin. The smell is so powerful that it overwhelms every sense. And it is so horribly sticky that everything is stuck in place.

The second Ettin then fades back into the trees and is lost among the building ruins there.

BATTLE OF RIVERBED MANOR (MAP) (https://www.owlbear.rodeo/room/P1xY62xRS2Ck/TheDeadWard)

Enemies' Nat 1 Count: 1
Heroes' Nat 1 Count: 0

Ettin 1: -36 HP
Ettin 2: Unharmed

Ettin 1:
-Attacks Laughter with Morningstar. Attack 9. Miss!
-Attacks Laughter with Battleaxe. Attack 6. Miss! (Nat 1)

Ettin 2:
-Attacks Naraga with Dung Ball. Attack 22. Hit! 14 Bludgeoning damage.
-Attacks Laughter with Dung Ball. Attack 26. Hit! 13 Bludgeoning damage.

Naraga, Laughter: make a Dex or Strength Save (your choice) DC 15 or be knocked Prone. Then, make a Con save DC 12 or be Poisoned for 1 minute. As well, you both lose your free Object Interaction next turn.

NontheistCleric
2023-10-23, 04:40 PM
Tiefling Monk
AC: 19 | HP: 38/39 | THP: 0/0

Naraga manages to angle himself so that the dung ball only grazes him, but it still leaves a stain on his white shirt.

"Disgusting!" he shouts after the second ettin. "No! Don't you dare disappear!"

With a parting staff jab to the first ettin's eye and a lash of his tail, he flies off in pursuit of the dung-thrower.

Naraga:
-Deflect Missiles to reduce the dung ball's damage to 1.
-Dex save (result 18) and Con save (result 17). Both successes.
-Uses action to attack Ettin 1 with quarterstaff. Attack 26. Hit! 13 bludgeoning damage.
-Uses bonus action to attack Ettin 1 with unarmed strike. Attack 18. Hit! 8 bludgeoning damage.
-Movement to move 50' towards the trees where Ettin 2 vanished. No opportunity attack provoked, due to Mobile.

Wara:
-Movement to close with Ettin 1. Full charge.
-Uses action to attack Ettin 1 with gore. Attack 19. Hit! 18 piercing damage.
-Ettin 1 is subject to Trampling Charge:
If the elephant moves at least 20 ft. straight toward a creature and then hits it with a gore attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 12 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the elephant can make one stomp attack against it as a bonus action.
-If Ettin 1 is knocked prone, Wara uses his bonus action to attack Ettin 1 with stomp. Attack 13. Hit! 23 bludgeoning damage.

Naraga and Wara are trying not to deal lethal damage to the first ettin and will reduce him to 0 HP and unconscious if possible with their melee attacks.

Rolls for this post in OOC post #130. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25893983&postcount=130)

Bobthewizard
2023-10-23, 08:17 PM

Aeon watches as Laughter and Naraga are struck by the dung balls. He winces at the smell.

"That's disgusting. Are you ok?"

He rolls under the elephant and attacks the Ettin from the other side.

Attack: [roll0], Radiant [roll1]
Sneak attack [roll2]

Milpazul, riding lizards
Maguey Valley, evil wind

MCerberus
2023-10-23, 10:07 PM
Nibbles

Nibbles lets out a surprised growl but not normal lizard-talk. It's just a quick incantation and luckily for Laughter there's an easy to manipulate magic flow nearby to channel into healing the fey. Laughter would notice the rather upsetting hurt lessen.

As for the current situation. There may be a simpler solution. The second ettin being attacked already it means that Nibbles can take longer to line up a good stab despite the bright light. Or he's using the shadow of the big thing to shield his eyes. Both are time honored tactics.

Ettin 2 will find a surprisingly deadly pointy stick thrusting its way

Healing Word on laughter [roll0]
Attack vs Ettin 2 [roll1] [roll2]

JNAProductions
2023-10-24, 11:35 AM
"I'm fine-but BLECH, that stuff stinks!" she comments as she continues to strike against the Ettin in her face.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Bludgeoning
[roll2] Giant's Might

Saves rolled in OOC, and both passed.

Millstone85
2023-10-26, 05:09 PM
AC 17 | HP 43/43 | THP 0
PP 16 | PIv 11 | PIs 14
Conditions -
Beam Weapon 2/2 pLR
Guiding Bolt (free) 2/2 pLR
Wild Shape 2/2 pR
S1 4/4 S2 3/3 pLR

Irides is moved by the elephant's gesture, both figuratively and literally.

Once the shardmind is back on his feet, he raises his wildspace orrery and invokes a beam of light out of it, which he tries to direct against the closest ettin.
Ranged spell attack: [roll0]
Damage on hit: [roll1] radiant
Effect on hit: The next attack roll against the ettin is made with advantage.

truemane
2023-10-27, 11:59 PM
The Ettin, tall and mighty though it might be, falls under the sudden onslaught. Between Naraga's pummeling, Wara's stomping, and a quick, deadly strike by Aeon from beneath the elephant, it groans in pain, drops its weapons and collapses to the ground barely breathing.

Meanwhile, Naraga flies off after the second one and, peering through the complicated screen of tree and rubble, sees it creeping quietly, looking for a better vantage point.

Roughly at which point, some of the others give chase, and Irides sends a bolt of pure light across the clearing, striking the remaining Ettin and lighting it up for all to see.

At which point, the Ettin, realizing that it's been seen, stops and hurls two fecal balls at Naraga. Both hit the airborne Tiefling.

Conditions:
-Next attack vs Ettin 2 has Advantage.
-Naraga make two Dex or Strength Saves (your choice) DC 15 or be knocked Prone. Then, make two Con saves DC 12 or be Poisoned for 1 minute. If you fail both Con Saves, you also gain 1 level of Exhaustion until your next Long Rest.

Ettin 1: Down
Ettin 2: -16 damage

Ettin 2:
-Attacks Naraga with Dung Ball. Attack 25. Hit! 13 damage (8 bludgeoning, 5 poison).
-Attacks Naraga with Dung Ball. Attack 21. Hit! 12 damage (6 bludgeoning, 6 poison).

MCerberus
2023-10-29, 09:23 PM
Nibbles

Despite the immediate urge to see to Naraga, it becomes clear within a breath's time that he can't disengage now to do it. Instead the slippery kobold in the rather crunchy shell needs to help keep the last Ettin there so that the group can take it down. Angles. Wind. Not that wind the other one. At the moment the winds of magic align with his attuned weapon, Nibbles scurries up the Ettin's leg reaching up to attack a joint when the moment happens.

Regular attack on ettin 2. Apply anime scream as appropriate.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Bobthewizard
2023-10-30, 05:56 AM

Aeon joins nibbles next to the second Ettin. He uses his friend as a distraction to get a better attack on the two-headed giant. While he runs, he looks back at Nibbles.

"Nibbles. Are you ok?"

Attack: [roll0], Radiant [roll1]
Sneak attack [roll2]

Milpazul, riding lizards
Maguey Valley, evil wind

Millstone85
2023-11-02, 07:21 PM
AC 17 | HP 43/43 | THP 0
PP 16 | PIv 11 | PIs 14
Conditions -
Beam Weapon 2/2 pLR
Guiding Bolt (free) 1/2 pLR
Wild Shape 2/2 pR
S1 4/4 S2 3/3 pLR

Irides walks past the first ettin but keeps a safe distance with the second one. He then produces a new beam out of his orrery.

Ranged spell attack: [roll0]
Damage on hit: [roll1] radiant
Effect on hit: The next attack roll against the ettin is made with advantage.

NontheistCleric
2023-11-02, 10:08 PM
Tiefling Monk
AC: 19 | HP: 31/39 | THP: 0/0
Conditions: Poisoned
Ki: 3

Naraga deflects the first dung ball with his staff, wincing slightly at the dung fragments left on the wood. Still, it's better than getting hit by it.

The second dung ball hits him square in the chest, spreading its noxious substance all over the front of his garments and knocking him out of the air. He screams in incoherent frustration as he crashes into the dirt, but recovers quickly, jumping back into a standing position and running to the cover of a ruined wall.

"I'm really starting to hate this one!" he shouts. "But it seems clever! We should take it alive!"

Wara responds to Naraga with a bellow, thundering forward to close with the ettin.

Naraga:
-Deflect Missiles to reduce the first dung ball's damage to 0. Fully deflected.
-Dex save (result 14) and Con save (result 6). Two failures, knocked prone and poisoned.
-Uses action for Hands of Healing on self. 5 damage healed.
-Movement to stand and move behind the southwest wall corner.

Wara:
-Movement and Dash to close with Ettin 2. I seem to have lost control of the token for this one.

Rolls for this post consolidated in OOC post #142. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25899654&postcount=142)