PDA

View Full Version : Shapeshifter Advice

Human Paragon 3
2007-12-09, 12:37 AM
Hey,

I have a character idea for a shapeshifter. The character would have complete control over his form, able to look like anyone and turn into anything. Note that this isn't for cheese, it's mostly for flavor.

Requirements:

Able to shapeshift starting at level 1.
Able to turn into a variety of useful forms.
Able to turn into things over a variety of sizes.
The more things he can turn into, the better.

The closest I can think of is a changeling PHBII Druid, but that doesn't have access to small or tiny forms.

RTGoodman
2007-12-09, 01:13 AM
The closest I can think of is a changeling PHBII Druid, but that doesn't have access to small or tiny forms.

I don't have my PHBII on me, but why not just a Changeling Druid (as in, just a normal Druid)? You'll be able to change what you look like for a 4 levels, and then at 5th level and higher you can just wild shape into whatever critter you'd like.

Alternatively, you could just be a changeling wizard/sorcerer and focus in polymorph spells (but note that most people consider them inherently broken). If you do that, though, Complete Arcane has the Master Transmogrifist PrC that's for polymorph-focused casters. I don't know much about it though, or if it's that great.

Bag_of_Holding
2007-12-09, 06:22 AM
Changeling Druid 5 (normal)/Master of Many Forms 10, perhaps?

Or, if DM allows Divine Minion entry, then Divine Minion Anything 1/MoMF will do well too, if not downright broken.

SoD
2007-12-09, 06:24 AM
If you take Savage Species Succubus, from memory, at first level you have 1 alternate shape, then at level 3 you have 3, and eventually (level 7ish?) you have an unlimited amount. Although they do have to be small, medium (or large?) humanoids or monsterous humanoids...

Grynning
2007-12-09, 06:32 AM
Master of Many Forms is definitely what you want here. It offers the widest variety of shapes of any of these options, and isn't completely broken as it doesn't advance spellcasting.

If you want something a bit different (i.e. not a druid), consider an egoist psion. Not quite as versatile shape-changing wise but definitely an excellent set of powers. Also the only thing in D&D I can think of that can turn into inanimate objects.

Edit: Was just browsing Crystal Keep and apparently there are Changeling Egoist substitution levels in Races of Eberron, so that might be something to look into

Chronicled
2007-12-09, 06:33 AM
A Changling PHB2 Druid, constantly shifting and rarely revisiting the same form twice, would be really cool.

(Note that the PHB2 Druids can change what their Predator, Flying, Forest Avenger and Elemental forms look like each time they shift. As a predator, you could be a mountain lion, then a wolf, then...)

KIDS
2007-12-09, 01:35 PM
Hmmm, can they? I always thought it was a form you chose once (so you had flavor but could not fool around with enemies appearing as different animal each time)...

kamikasei
2007-12-09, 02:18 PM
Hmmm, can they? I always thought it was a form you chose once (so you had flavor but could not fool around with enemies appearing as different animal each time)...

Nope. "Each time you use this ability, you can choose the exact look that your shapeshifted form takes."

TheOOB
2007-12-10, 01:16 AM
I made some feats a while back that help shapeshift druids gain some more versatility. If your GM doesn't mind try using them of them with your PHBII druid

Shapeshift Feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32329&)