PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed [3.5] Metamorphosis Question

Ursus Spelaeus
2023-09-18, 12:55 AM
I have a question regarding the Metamorphosis psionic power, it's duration, and shared power with Psicrystals.

The power's duration is one minute per level if you transform into a creature or one hour per level if you transform into an object. Can you transform yourself into an object and transform your psicrystal into a creature? If so, what happens to the duration? Would metamorphosis have a different duration for each of its targets? Or would your psicrystal maintain its creature form for as long as you maintain your inanimate object form?

Crake
2023-09-18, 01:45 AM
I have a question regarding the Metamorphosis psionic power, it's duration, and shared power with Psicrystals.

The power's duration is one minute per level if you transform into a creature or one hour per level if you transform into an object. Can you transform yourself into an object and transform your psicrystal into a creature? If so, what happens to the duration? Would metamorphosis have a different duration for each of its targets? Or would your psicrystal maintain its creature form for as long as you maintain your inanimate object form?

Its not entirely clear whether the power needs to have the same parameters chosen for yourself and the psicrystal, however, the outcome if you CAN decide separately is clear: the power will function as normal for each creature. Note that they do need to remain within 5 feet of each other for it to function.

Odin's Eyepatch
2023-09-23, 05:05 AM
I've actually got some questions about Metamorphosis too and I hope people don't mind if I ask in this thread. I find what Metamorphosis keeps and what it changes pretty confusing. I understand the changes that it states out in its description, but because it does not refer to Alter Self, and isn't exactly part of the Polymorph subschool, there's a lot of question left unanswered.

When you use Metamorphosis, do you keep your original HP? Or does you HP change with the change with your Constitution?

Presumably you retain all your original feats and skills, which means you don't get any of the feats and skills of your new form (unless they were Racial Bonus Feats or Skills)?

You probably retain your own BAB/Base Saving Throw Bonus?

Chronos
2023-09-23, 07:28 AM
I think that the intention was for it to work just like Shapechange. But they didn't say that explicitly.

nijineko
2023-09-25, 07:44 PM
I did not make these tables, a kind soul over on the Minmaxforums did, but I shall copy them here.

Part 1: Alter Self, Polymorph, and Shapechange
https://twinseraphim.files.wordpress.com/2020/06/as-pm-sc-properties.png

Part 2: Change Shape, Alternate Form, and Wild Shape.
https://twinseraphim.files.wordpress.com/2020/06/cs-af-ws-properties.png

Part 3: Metapmorphosis, Metamorphasis into Object, Greater Metamorphosis. (Yes, the person who made this table misspelled.)
https://twinseraphim.files.wordpress.com/2020/06/mm-mmob-grmm-properties.png

loky1109
2023-09-26, 08:19 AM
Was greater metamorphosis errated? In my book it has max HD = 2*ML up to 50 HD.

Beni-Kujaku
2023-09-26, 09:37 AM
Was greater metamorphosis errated? In my book it has max HD = 2*ML up to 50 HD.

Yep. Errata:
Page 117: Metamorphosis, Greater Power
The assumed form cannot have more Hit Dice than your
manifester level (to a maximum of 25 HD).

nijineko
2023-09-26, 10:36 AM
I suppose I could remake the tables/images and repost them... any interest in that, or other errors of note besides the spelling? If not, then I won't bother.

AnonJr
2023-09-26, 11:37 AM
I suppose I could remake the tables/images and repost them... any interest in that, or other errors of note besides the spelling? If not, then I won't bother.

Yes. :smallsmile:

The differences always confuse the hell out of me, and those tables cleared up a lot of my confusion. Cleaner versions would be greatly appreciated.

Odin's Eyepatch
2023-09-27, 03:47 PM

It's a small nitpick from the table, but Metamorphosis mentions racial bonus feats, not racial feats.