PDA

View Full Version : gimme a good race for this

Clause
2023-09-18, 11:58 AM
hello. i want to create a new char. so i have the idea of abjurant wizard 14/ clockworck soul sorcerer.

i want to have good defences, so i want a little help to choose the race and feats.

i was wonder about:

1 warforged ( 16 + proficience AC, is a good thing at highter levels, 23, on lvl20)
2 tortle ( 17 CA is a good choice too)
3 trikreen (natural armor 13+dx, can be small, advantage in stealth etc)
4 gytzeray, hobgoblin, mountain dwarf ( for medium armor and some martials).

can anyone help me to decide?
im open to other races too, if one can explain the advantages of use them.

feat sugestions will be very welcome.

thoroughlyS
2023-09-18, 12:28 PM
It seems like you're using some outdated information. Since the release of Monsters of the Multiverse, neither githyanki nor hobgoblins provide armor proficiencies (and hobgoblins never gave medium armor, only light armor). And warforged only added proficiency to AC in Unearthed Arcana. The published version only gives +1 AC, so you still need proficiency if you want anything decent. With that in mind, I'd recommend tortle, so you get the flat 17. Sure, you can get it higher with thri-kreen, but that requires heavily investing in DEX, and therefore taking away from the feats you could get.

Psyren
2023-09-18, 12:31 PM
Autognome gets an AC bonus too and fit well with Clockwork Soul

RogueJK
2023-09-18, 01:44 PM
None of the 13+DEX natural armor races are worth considering. As an Abjurer Wizard/Clockwork Sorcerer, you're already going to need to be investing in INT, CHA, and CON. You won't be able to afford a high DEX as well, unless you're going to be rolling for stats and happen to roll 4+ high numbers.

As noted, Warforged only get a +1 to AC, not Proficiency. With Mage Armor, they would top out at 13+DEX+1. So around 16ish AC, since you're unlikely to be able to afford much more than a 14 DEX.

Also as noted, Hobgoblins and Gith no longer provide racial armor proficiency. Mountain Dwarf is the last one standing, for now. With a 14 DEX, you'd top out at 17 AC with a Mountain Dwarf wearing Half Plate. (They don't get racial shield proficiency.)

That 17 AC is the same that a Tortle gets without any DEX investment at all, or buying/carrying any armor.

Therefore, Tortle will be the simplest route, affording you a decent baseline AC of 17 and then letting to focus your stats, racial bonuses, and feats on just INT/CHA/CON.

Or, if the campaign is going to be starting at Level 4+, and you're willing to spend some feats, a Variant Human/Custom Lineage could have Medium Armor and Shield proficiency by Level 4. That would beat the Tortle's 17 AC with a 19 AC from 14 DEX, Half Plate armor, and a Shield. Something like this:

Custom Lineage Abjurer 4
STR 8
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 15+2
WIS 8
CHA 14
ASIs: Lightly Armored (13 DEX) at 1, Moderately Armored (14 DEX) at 4, then plan for a INT half-feat for 18 INT at 8, and either 20 INT or 16 CHA next (depending on how effective you need your Sorcerer spellcasting to be)

You could also skip the need to invest two feats in Lightly/Moderately Armored and instead just dip 1 level in Hexblade Warlock to gain Medium Armor and Shield proficiency. You'd be 1 level behind in your class progression, but you'd have additional ASIs/Feats available to put towards boosting your spellcasting stats.

thoroughlyS
2023-09-18, 01:51 PM
Custom Lineage Abjurer 4
STR 8
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 15+2
WIS 8
CHA 14
ASIs: Lightly Armored (13 DEX) at 1, Moderately Armored (14 DEX) at 4, then plan for a INT half-feat for 18 INT at 8, and either 20 INT or 16 CHA next (depending on how effective you need your Sorcerer spellcasting to be)
If going this route, I would opt for 16 (14 + 2) INT and 10 WIS instead.

GooeyChewie
2023-09-18, 01:57 PM
If allowed in your campaign, Loxodon could also work. They base their AC on 12 + Con instead of Dex, so that’s one less stat you need to increase. Tortle is probably the more efficient animal-based one, though.

Greywander
2023-09-22, 08:33 AM
It seems like you're using some outdated information.
This is such a strange mentality to me. Unless they're playing AL it doesn't really matter what's "legal", and you can't unpublish a book. While some of these options may have had later variants published, the old versions are still official content. This is also consistent with 5e's evergreen policy, even if the current team developing 5e no longer respects that policy.

Ultimately, the OP needs to seek clarification with their DM on what source books are allowed, and the DM is well within their rights to include "outdated" source books without your permission.

I remember when DnD Beyond removed the ability to buy some of these older source books and some people acted like this was a good thing because that older material was somehow "worse" than the newer versions and anyone using it was playing wrong. And the people trying to police the content you're using at your own table are generally the same people telling you not to worry about things being changed or removed because "you can still do what you want at your own table". Bah, I feel like a discussion on this subject will likely lead nowhere good, but it still ticks me off.

Anyways, to the OP, tortle is probably your best bet. Dwarf can get you medium armor, but you'll still need a bit of DEX or a feat for heavy armor. Loxodon gives unarmored AC of 12 + CON mod, but that caps out at 17 AC with 20 CON. Tortle gets you to 17 without any stat investment. 17 is okay, good enough for goblins and such, but literally worthless against most ancient dragons with a +17 to hit. So temper your expectations. At least you have the Shield spell.

JellyPooga
2023-09-22, 08:57 AM
Personally, I wouldn't fuss the AC too much, certainly not for Race. You're an Abjurer, so your Arcane Ward is your most stalwart defence and between Mage Armour and Shield you'll have plenty of AC, or at least enough not to worry too much.

Go Halfling instead to get Lucky; re-rolling 1's on attacks, saves and ability checks is a literal lifesaver and being a Halfling is just about the only way to get it. Thought of another way, Lucky means 5% (or 1-in-20) of more-or-less all your rolls are made with advantage. It's an amazing defence against enemy spells and abilities and will also contribute to initiative, dispel/counterspell checks and your own spell attacks, as well as non-combat. Best of all, it also "stacks" with regular Advantage.

Brave offering Advantage against the Frightened condition might not come up all that often, but it is also a good defence against an otherwise irritating condition. Disadvantage on ability checks can dampen the day of any Abjurer looking to counterspell an enemy lich.

thoroughlyS
2023-09-22, 11:14 AM
Ultimately, the OP needs to seek clarification with their DM on what source books are allowed, and the DM is well within their rights to include "outdated" source books without your permission.
Maybe outdated was the wrong word. Of the three races Clause listed, one was from a VERY old Unearthed Arcana (a format which specifically says that it is a draft and subject to refinement), and another was just incorrect (hobgoblin only gives proficiency with light armor). Now, could Clause's table be using Unearthed Arcana and a homebrew hobgoblin? Sure, but the onus is on them to say so in their post. Without their say so, how are we supposed to know what non-official material they're using?

animorte
2023-09-22, 01:51 PM
With this build? I would say, your best bet is the 110 meter hurdles. It's has a good solution for many problems while being fairly self-reliant.

Otherwise, this is my vote:

Go Halfling instead to get Lucky; re-rolling 1's on attacks, saves and ability checks is a literal lifesaver
I would suggest Hospitality (if available) as it provides even more versatility. You can always shore up a 15 Int with level 4 half-feat.

Greywander
2023-09-22, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I think I get what you're saying now. Though the version of warforged from Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron is not UA and has scaling AC like the OP described. It's definitely worth raising the question of if their DM is allowing it, but if the OP is presenting it as an option it's possible they already have permission to use it. If not, OP needs to check with their DM, since a lot of tables aren't using WGtE anymore. That doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't, though.

thoroughlyS
2023-09-22, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I think I get what you're saying now. Though the version of warforged from Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron is not UA and has scaling AC like the OP described. It's definitely worth raising the question of if their DM is allowing it, but if the OP is presenting it as an option it's possible they already have permission to use it. If not, OP needs to check with their DM, since a lot of tables aren't using WGtE anymore. That doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't, though.
WGtE also isn't official. it was put out by Keith Baker in the lead up to Eberron: Rising from the Last War. The introduction calls out that it is playtest material, just like Unearthed Arcana.

Clause
2023-10-15, 07:32 PM
Thanks every one for the answers. I readed all of them. And take the tortle. But my cgaracter died today. Making other soon.