PDA

View Full Version : Greater Dispel Magic on Limited Use Magic Item

tuberov
2023-09-18, 08:34 PM
Hey hivemind,

I'm looking for a RAW way to get Greater Dispel Magic on a limited use item. I was thinking something like a rod but they cap out at level 4 spells and the characters are really too low of level to make use of it on a scroll at this point in time (where I'd like them to use it). Any ideas for something I could be missing?

Closest item I've found that hits the target is the Magic Siphon from the Magic Item Compendium but it's a 1x day item, not by just straight charges.

Crake
2023-09-18, 10:07 PM
If you’re the DM, you can literally just make one that works however you want it to. Custom magic items are entirely within your purview as the DM

JNAProductions
2023-09-18, 10:38 PM
If you’re the DM, you can literally just make one that works however you want it to. Custom magic items are entirely within your purview as the DM

This. It's worth looking at guidelines for magic item creation and comparing to similar items, but as the DM, it's in your power.

Rebel7284
2023-09-18, 11:21 PM
Have a Trapsmith make the Wand? Greater Dispel Magic is a third level spell for them. Generally items have bad caster levels, and with all forms of Dispel requiring a level check, this can be problematic.

Biggus
2023-09-19, 12:02 AM
Staffs can be made with only two spells in them, just make the second spell a low-level one and it'll hardly cost any more than it would if it only had GDM in it.

Troacctid
2023-09-19, 12:37 AM
Use a custom staff. You can put whatever spells you want in it, and lower the market value by having each casting use up multiple charges (or by giving them a partially charged version).

Gruftzwerg
2023-09-19, 12:55 AM
Have a Trapsmith make the Wand? Greater Dispel Magic is a third level spell for them. Generally items have bad caster levels, and with all forms of Dispel requiring a level check, this can be problematic.

Wands only have a cap for Spell Level and not for Caster Level. You just need a high lvl caster for the crafting process to provide the clvl, once you have found a Trapmith.

Forrestfire
2023-09-19, 12:59 AM
A scepter of greater dispel magic would work. they're from Lost Empires of Faerûn and function (including price) like wands that can hold up to 6ths.

Crake
2023-09-19, 02:35 AM
Wands only have a cap for Spell Level and not for Caster Level. You just need a high lvl caster for the crafting process to provide the clvl, once you have found a Trapmith.

I think their point was that most items are found at minimum caster level, but its kinda a moot point since this is a seeded item.

The GM also doesnt need to use trapsmith, because theyre the gm and can just make a custom item

Biggus
2023-09-19, 07:07 AM
A scepter of greater dispel magic would work. they're from Lost Empires of Faerûn and function (including price) like wands that can hold up to 6ths.

Up to 7th level actually. Good call though, I'd forgotten about scepters.

Beni-Kujaku
2023-09-19, 10:51 AM
A psicrown with Dispel Psionics is a good way to do that. It's not actually greater dispel magic, but even with the minimum ML for a psicrown (8th), the bonus on the dispel check is +14. It can be used 50 times and costs a easly 12k gp.

YellowJohn
2023-09-19, 04:52 PM
You said you wanted it on a scroll; check out Skull Talismans from Frostburn. They're a bit more like potions, but they can hold any spell up to ninth level & the spell goes off when you break the skull. They have hardness and hit points.
It's not clear what happens if you break one on your enemy's face, for example. Especially if you throw it. But that's what DM calls are for.