PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Villa of Villains

Skrum
2023-09-18, 08:36 PM
I've played A LOT of dnd over the past 2.5 years, as a player and as a DM. I now have a quite sizeable collection of game notes, monsters, and boss villains lying around that are almost all canonically dead (thanks players!!)

Well, it occurred to me that this rogue's gallery might get a second chance at life in someone else's game - i.e., I could post them here, along with a little blurb about how I used them and maybe another DM would find this to be a useful resource, font of inspiration, whathaveyou.

So, my Villa of Villains!!
Gonna start this off with a bang with a villain that was just recently brought to justice....

Sir Night
AKA Frankhul Vast
Known only in whispers and rumors as Sir Night, Frankhul Vast was the head of an elusive criminal organization known as the Stone Badgers. Under his guidance they flooded the streets of the capital city with the dangerous illicit drug, Fairy Dust, bringing him great wealth and resources. But his true goal was a personal one - to destroy the [PC-dominated] organization "Hall of Heroes." To that end, he made bargains with mysterious fey and an ancient hag to increase his power.

A heavily muscled and imposing man, Frankhul was never without his set of daggers, Pair of One, or his eye patch...until it was time to take it off.

Frankhul Vast
medium humanoid
AC 17
HP 210
Speed: 35
Str 20 Dex 16 Con 18 Int 12 Wis 14 Cha 14
Saving Throws: Str +9 Con +8
Skills: Athletics +13
Proficiency Bonus +4
CR 12(ish)
--------------------------------
Knives Akimbo: When Sir Night makes a melee attack with his knives (Pair of One), he may make another attack against another target within reach.

Blurred Movement: Opportunity attacks against Sir Night are made at disadvantage

Inexorable: A bottomless void eats the world; never is it sated

Sir Night's missing eye draws in everything within 120 ft; any object that's not attached firmly to the ground and weighs less than 300 lbs is dragged 20 ft towards Sir Night at the beginning of his turn; any unattended object that reaches him is dragged into the void of his eye, never to be seen again.

Any creature that starts its turn within 120 ft of Sir Night takes 5 bludgeoning damage from the flying debris and must make a DC 17 Str save or be dragged 20 ft towards Sir Night. Moving away from Sir Night counts as difficult terrain.

Legendary Resistance: 3/day
-------------------------------
Reactions
Cause Overreach: When a creature makes an opportunity attack against Sir Night and misses, he may use his reaction to trip them. They must make a DC 17 Dex save or fall prone

Intercepting Strike: As a reaction to a creature moving into Sir Night's reach, he may attack with Intercepting Strike at advantage
Actions
Multiattack: Sir Night may attack 3 times per round with his twin daggers, Pair of One. He may throw one of his returning daggers (Deadshot)

Pair of One: melee attack +8, 3d4+5 piercing damage and 3d4 necrotic damage
Deadshot: ranged attack +8, 60 ft range, 4d4+5 piercing and 4d4 necrotic damage
Intercepting Strike: melee attack +8, 3d4+5 piercing damage and 3d4 necrotic damage. Creatures reduced to zero by this attack die
Legendary Actions (3)
Pair of Knives (1 action) : make a Pair of One melee attack
Deadshot (1 action): make a Deadshot Attack
Call of the Void (2 action): Sir Night targets a creature within 40 ft and focuses the vacuum of his eye on them. They are pulled up to 40 ft towards Sir Night; if they end this movement adjacent to Sir Night, they take 8d6 force damage from the rending gravitational pull. The creature may make a DC 17 Str save to avoid being pulled

===============================================
So, this guy was a beast. I threw him at a level 10 party composed of a sorcerer 7/warlock 3, BM fighter 10, twilight cleric 10, and a scribe wizard 8. In addition, he had some goons with him: 2 Reavers that were mechanically medium-size bulettes (but with only 45 hit points) and 5 archers (15 HP, 14 AC, two bow attacks for +5 and 1d8+3 damage).

In the beginning of the fight he still had his eyepatch on so he did not have Inexorable, Intercepting Strike, or Call of the Void. Once he went down to 140 hit points, he pulled off his eye patch. His remaining allies had no particular resistance to Inexorable and were quickly finished off or ran away once this phase started.

Finally, I had boulders generate at random places at the edges of the map and come crashing into the battle - pulled in by his eye. They were large and moved 20 ft per round. If they hit a player, that player needed to make a DC 15 Str save or take 1d12 damage be knocked prone.

The basic idea of this one is the characters get pulled towards him so he could trigger Knives Akimbo. If he was adjacent to 2 targets, he would have 6 attacks a turn (3 against each), plus his reactions and legendary actions.

Final outcome? He dragged in the sorcerer/warlock and dropped her, and then she was killed when a boulder ran her over. But he was defeated a round later, and the cleric revivified the fallen.

I was really happy with the way this one turned out - his abilities are particularly scary for casters, who are GOING to end up in melee with a very dangerous individual.

Edit: just to clarify, cause the players got momentarily confused by this too: nothing happens to characters that are dragged to Sir Night by his eye (well, unless he used Call of the Void). They are not sucked in, like objects are. I narrated it as them being pulled close, but then fighting back to not go that last little bit - but obviously, you're in range of his knives.

Skrum
2023-09-18, 09:54 PM
Mumblin' Lysa Litten
Good ol' Mumblin Lysa - quite talented with a sword, but she had grand aspirations to be a great wizard. Problem is, her diction wasn't so good and when she started to cast, well who knows what was going to come out

The leader of a small-time bandit gang calling themselves the River Rats, a bounty was put out on Lysa's head and a group of heroes brought her to justice.

Mumblin' Lysa Litten
medium humanoid
AC 16
HP 96
Speed 30
Str 18 Dex 12 Con 16 Int 16 Wis 10 Cha 12
Saves: Str +6 Con +6 Wis +2
Intimidation +5
CR 5
Mumblecore: whenever Lysa casts a spell, roll on the Sorcerer's Wild Magic table

Spells: Lysa is a 4th level spell caster. Her spell save DC is 13, and her spell attack bonus is +5
She has the following spells prepared
Spell Slots: 4/3
Cantrips: fire bolt
1st level spells: burning hands, faerie fire, ice knife, shield
2nd level: mirror image, hold person
Multiattack: Lysa makes two attacks with her greatsword
Greatsword: +6 to hit, melee, 3d6+4 slashing damage
Legendary Actions (2)
Attack (1 action): make a greatsword attack
Cast a Spell (1 action): cast a spell
===================================
This mini-boss was from a lot longer ago, but she become an instant fan-favorite after she greased herself and then followed that up with a fireball (on top of herself and most of the party). She faced off with a party of level 4's. The rest of the River Rat gang was a collection of CR 1/2's; ordinary bandit-type chum. I don't remember exactly how many, but I know the players fought their way up to the top of a tower, found Lysa's room and her remedial magical studies books, and then faced off with her on the way out (she wasn't in the tower during the incursion).