PDA

View Full Version : Warblade Optimization Help

Brawls
2007-12-09, 02:35 AM
Need some assistance deciding on direction and manuevers for my multiclass warblade. Character is as follows:

Fighter 6 / Warblade 1

Str 20, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 12, Chr 11

Feats already selected:
Imp Unarmed Fighting, 2 Weap Fighting, Exotic Weap Prof (Katana), Weap Focus, Weap Spec, Power Attack, Combat Expertise.

I recognize that he is not optimized from a feats point of view, but oh well. No retraining allowed, currently. Curerntly, he has transitioned from 2WF to THF for the PA bonus. He is the sole fighter in our group.

Since he is multiclass, he will start with an effective Initiator Level of 4, allowing upt to 2nd level manuevers. I was looking at Diamond Mind as his primary discipline, as he already has ranks in concentration, uses a Katana, has a small Int bonus, and has a smart/strategist fighter character concept. I was looking at taking Thought Before Action and Momment of Perfect Clarity to cover some of the meleer's weaknesses. We will be fighting a lot of undead in the near future, so I was also looking at moving towards Iron Heart Surge to deal with the fear effects. I think i will be taking Blade Meditation as my next available feat.

Since this is my first ToB character, I'd like some guidance on a build that will remain an effective frontline melee combatant. While I like Diamond Mind I am not clossed to other disciplines. Please help me flesh out a direction for this character through about level 15. Also, please, no additional classes or suggestions of scrapping and starting over.

Thanks,

Brawls

Animefunkmaster
2007-12-09, 03:14 AM
Not sure exactly what style you are looking for but TWF doesn't mesh well with power attack, at least not as well with a two hander (like a katana). Perhaps you might want to stack on some iajutsu (OA) for good measure. You don't want to do twf without a source of bonus damage.

(Note: I may be off by feat pre reqs, AFB)

Human
Monk1/Fighter2/Warblade4

Feats:
Human: Power Attack
1st: Improved Sunder
Fighter: Anyting
3rd: Shock Trooper
Fighter: Anything
6th: anything
9th: Leap Attack

Note: with monk you will not gain the AC bonus or flurry of blows, because you will be armored. But it picks up improved unarmed strike (a better version than the feat), good saves, good skills, and three exotic weapon proficiencies (Shuriken, Nanchaku, and a Kama). You use weapon aptitude to switch the proficiency to bastard sword/katana.

Whatever you do just pick a tactic: Charge + Power Attack or TWF or AoOs.

Edit: reread your post... never mind, not what you are looking for.

Iku Rex
2007-12-09, 03:22 AM
Books available?

Oh, and does "no additional classes" include prestige classes?

tyckspoon
2007-12-09, 03:37 AM
Tiger Claw has some nice stuff in it for TWF if you want to keep your current feats useful for longer. You could use Weapon Aptitude to reset your focus and spec to unarmed strikes or another Tiger Claw discipline weapon and go TWFing with reasonable effectiveness, although it sounds like Diamond Mind fits your character better (if you still want to keep TWF, you could grab Oversized TWF for your next open feat and dual-wield katanas. Probably not worth it without getting the rest of the TWF tree for more attacks, tho.)

I would drop Action Before Thought and pick up a strike instead. Reflex saves tend to be the least dangerous (most of them are only HP damage) and it's a category you're already getting a bonus in from the Warblade's Battle Clarity feature. Emerald Razor would be a good pick; striking as a touch attack lets you power attack for full or nearly full on a lot of monsters. Mountain Hammer from Stone Dragon is also nice; it ignores DR and hardness (and also does 2d6 extra damage.) If you want to get an early start on Iron Heart, Wall of Blades is a good counter that will give you your Iron Heart Surge prerequisite.

If you expect to be dealing with a lot of fear-causing enemies, make your stance White Raven's Bolstering Voice. +2 Morale bonus to Will saves (+4 against Fear) within 60 feet of you.

Dode
2007-12-09, 03:41 AM
Hmm... it's a bit of a challenge, but...

Wield a Small-sized Katana in your off-hand so you can apply all your bonuses to both weapons. Then at level 9, you'll get Battle Ardor with the Warblade (int bonus to confirm crits) and be able to take Improved Critical for the Katana. Then use the "Blood In The Water" Tiger Claw stance which gives a cumulative +1 to hit and damage every time a confirmed critical is made. Especially effective if your DM likes to throw fodder out there.

Then again, I don't really know what kind of DM you have. If he likes crit-immune creatures, this build may not be for you. In which case, I suggest taking a one-level dip in Exotic Weapon Master to pick up the Uncanny Blow weapon trick which lets your Katana do double it's strength damage when wielded in both hands and count as two-handed for Power Attack purposes. Then Power Attack away and use a Ruby Nightmare Blade which lets you make a Concentration Check to beat his AC and deal double damage.

cody.burton
2007-12-09, 04:44 AM
Keep in mind that Warblade allows you to switch the weapon for any weapon-specific feats. EWP(Katana) can turn into EWP(Everything).

Snooder
2007-12-09, 05:01 AM
Ok, seems like you want to make a katana fighter. Possibly a duelist style, no?

Depending on your playstyle, you may want to pick up the Rapid Assault feat. It adds +1d6 to all attacks in the first combat round. Also, you'll probably want to take Martial Study and/or Martial Stance at some point to pick up some Devoted Spirit healing.

My selection would be as follows:

Level 7
Man:
- Moment of Perfect Mind
- Mountain Hammer
- Wall of Blades
Stance:
- Punishing Stance

Level 8
Man:
- Iron Heart Surge

Level 9
Man:
- Bonecrusher
Feat:
- Rapid Assault

Level 10
Man:
- replace Wall of Blades with Insightful Strike
Stance:
- either Absolute Steel Stance or Pearl of Black Doubt

Level 11
Man:
- Mind Strike
Feat:
- Martial Study: Crusader's Strike

Level 12
Man:
- replace Mind Strike with Elder Mountain Hammer
Feat:
- Martial Stance: Martial Spirit

Level 13
Man:
- Disrupting Blow

Level 14
Man:
- Greater Insightful Strike

Level 15
Man:
- replace Mountain Hammer with Irresistible Mountain Strike
Feat:
- Martial Study: Revitalizing Strike
- Adaptive Style

Seriously though, don't worry about it too much. It should be obvious which maneuvers fit you more so just keep trading out old maneuvers for higher level ones. A couple of the maneuvers are poorly worded and probably typos (like Divine Surge) but for the most part its pretty simple and shouldn't require much optimization. The reason I'd pick the Martial Study/Stances is so that you have access to the healing strikes and because feats suck anyway. Other options are going the shock trooper route and/or finishing out the Weapon Spec tree.

Chronicled
2007-12-09, 06:47 AM
Keep in mind that Warblade allows you to switch the weapon for any weapon-specific feats. EWP(Katana) can turn into EWP(Everything).

This is true. Using your Weapon Aptitude ability to switch out your exotic weapon proficiency, focus, and specialization from katana to a good 2-handed weapon is a really good idea (since THW is what you said you want to do). There's of course the spiked chain (:smallyuk:), but other options include the Goliath Greathammer from Races of Stone (1d12/x4 crit, +2 to sunder), the Longaxe from Complete Adventurer (1d12/x3 crit, with an interesting ability), and the Elven Courtblade from Races of the Wild (1d10/18-20 x2 crit).

In which case, going Iron Heart, Diamond Mind, and White Raven are your best bets, for their nice single hit maneuvers.

Dode
2007-12-09, 06:50 AM
There's also the Greatspear and Heavy Poleaxe in the back of Complete Warrior. Reach weapons with a base 2d6 damage.

But if you're all about the single-hit manuevers, there's the Suglik in Frostburn. You need another feat to attack with it more then once a round, and its a crapload of antlers on a stick, but it does 2d8 damage.

brian c
2007-12-09, 06:56 AM
But if you're all about the single-hit manuevers, there's the Suglik in Frostburn. You need another feat to attack with it more then once a round, and its a crapload of antlers on a stick, but it does 2d8 damage.

You say that like it's a bad thing :smallwink:

Skjaldbakka
2007-12-09, 07:50 AM
Generally, I don't take Power Attack on Martial Adepts, as they are somewhat reliant on hitting, and the effect of whatever strike they are using is going to be more significant than the bonus they'll get from power attack, unless the PA craziness is going on (which you may as well play a barbarian if you're gonna do that).

Saph
2007-12-09, 08:35 AM
THF Power Attack in fact goes very well with Diamond Mind, since Diamond Mind tends to rely on single hits.

My suggestion for your first Warblade levels would be:

Skills: Max Concentration, and keep putting points in it until you can't fit in any more. Consider buying a Tunic of Steady Spellcasting from the MiC and/or taking Blade Meditation as a Warblade bonus feat.

Stances: It's a choice between Punishing Stance or Stance of Clarity. One improves your attack, the other your defence. Punishing Stance will help with maneuvers, so go for that.

Maneuvers: To begin with you'll have an initiator level of 4, which means 2nd-level maneuvers. You'll be very short of maneuvers to begin with, so you're best off focusing on only one or two disciplines.

Level 7:

- Moment of Perfect Mind
- Emerald Razor
- Mountain Hammer

Level 8:

- Iron Heart Surge (replaces Mountain Hammer)

Level 9:

- Insightful Strike (assuming you've maxed your Concentration by this point)

Level 10:

- Choice between Ruby Nightmare Blade, Mithral Tornado and Lightning Recovery - they're all great, so take whichever one you prefer.
- Absolute Steel Stance/Pearl of Black Doubt - again, both are good.

Emerald Razor will be your main damage-dealer - use it along with a full Power Attack. Moment of Perfect Mind covers your Will save.

As has been pointed out, remember that you can switch around your weapon feats with Weapon Attunement.

- Saph

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-09, 08:54 AM
Oh, and like it needs to be mentioned..

Get Leap Attack.

Saph
2007-12-09, 09:09 AM
Oh, and like it needs to be mentioned..

Get Leap Attack.

Really wouldn't work very well here.

To be fully effective, Leap Attack requires high ranks in Jump (which the character might not have), Shock Trooper (which the character definitely doesn't have) . . . and most warblade strikes are standard actions anyway, meaning you can't use them on a charge.

- Saph

ZeroNumerous
2007-12-09, 11:30 AM
Two problems with that assessment, Saph.

A: Soaring Dragon Stance. +10 to Jump checks. Further, Jump is now in class and he should have (atleast) 7 skill points to burn next level (Put your 8th level ability increase into your Intelligence!). Honestly, it shouldn't take him more than one level to gain enough Jump ranks to pick up Leap Attack at 9th.

B: White Raven's various charge abilities.

Saph
2007-12-09, 11:48 AM
Two problems with that assessment, Saph.

A: Soaring Dragon Stance. +10 to Jump checks. Further, Jump is now in class and he should have (atleast) 7 skill points to burn next level (Put your 8th level ability increase into your Intelligence!). Honestly, it shouldn't take him more than one level to gain enough Jump ranks to pick up Leap Attack at 9th.

B: White Raven's various charge abilities.

The OP seemed to prefer Diamond Mind, and I'd agree with him that near-immunity to Will save effects is significantly more useful than doing a bit more damage on a charge. Leap Attack really isn't as good as a lot of people think it is. Fighter charger builds use it mainly because they have feats to burn - it's Shock Trooper and multiplier effects that makes charger builds really deadly.

- Saph

Brawls
2007-12-09, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. Sorry about not mentioning the books available. All Core + Complete (Warrior, Arcane, Champion) + ToB + PHBII. Also, I don't really want to water down my higher iniator levels by taking other classes or prestige classes, but I can be convinved otherwise.

As some of you noted, TWF and PA don't synergize well. I found that out the hard way about level 6:smallredface: It may be that someday I can convince our DM to allow retraining, but for now it is a feat that only comes into play occaisionally (actually, there have been several instances where we have been captured or disarmed, so the Imp. Unarmed combat & TWF have been faily useful). Anyway, I have mostly given up TWF in favor of THF and PA.

Emerald Razor Strike looked good from this perspective as well. Right now I can PA for 14 extra damage + 7 for strength bonus + any other buffs. At this level, I'm finding I can take full attacks and PA for close to full on many targets, but suspect this will change in the near future as enemy AC will increase faster than my BAB + modifiers. I don't see going the leap attack path, as it doesn't mesh well with character concept. I can see going White Raven for flavor and the bonus against fear effects.

I see some folks mention Insightful Strike. This is one that never really appealed to me, but perhaps I'm missing the big picture. Right now my AB is 14 and my concentration is 12. I guess my conc. will scale faster, but I'm not having a difficult time hitting things now. Any insight into the value of this manuever would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the sugestions.

Brawls

Snooder
2007-12-09, 12:29 PM
I see some folks mention Insightful Strike. This is one that never really appealed to me, but perhaps I'm missing the big picture. Right now my AB is 14 and my concentration is 12. I guess my conc. will scale faster, but I'm not having a difficult time hitting things now. Any insight into the value of this manuever would be appreciated.

I think you misread the manuever. It doesn't replace your Attack Bonus with a concentration check, it replaces your DAMAGE with a concentration check. I think you can see how 1d20 + 12 is better than 1d10+str. And you should be able to pump that 12 from concentration up higher than you can scale anything else.

Saph
2007-12-09, 12:30 PM

Well, first, most Diamond Mind users have items such as the Tunic of Steady Spellcasting, which gives a +5 to Concentration (it's in the MiC, as well as Complete Arcane, if I remember right).

Second, Insightful Strike does the same damage no matter what weapon you're using. So, since you've got Improved Unarmed Strike, you can punch someone for ~30 damage. Which is kind of cool.

But it's more for fun than anything else. If you just want offensive power, stick with Mountain Hammer or something similar.

- Saph

Brawls
2007-12-09, 01:57 PM
I think you misread the manuever. It doesn't replace your Attack Bonus with a concentration check, it replaces your DAMAGE with a concentration check. I think you can see how 1d20 + 12 is better than 1d10+str. And you should be able to pump that 12 from concentration up higher than you can scale anything else.

Well now, that does change my perspective on things!

Second, Insightful Strike does the same damage no matter what weapon you're using. So, since you've got Improved Unarmed Strike, you can punch someone for ~30 damage. Which is kind of cool. Now that is very fun indeed. I'm hoping (long-term) in our campaign that I can challenge one of the BBEG's lieutenants into an unarmed combat. The idea of really plastering him with my fists is giving me a very warm feeling all over!

Thanks again.

Brad

Iku Rex
2007-12-09, 06:01 PM
Your Two-Weapon Fighting feat isn't useless. Consider the following FAQ answer:
Just how and when can you use armor spikes? If you’re
using two weapons already, can you use armor spikes to
make a second off-hand attack? What if you’re using a
weapon and a shield? Can you use the armor spikes for an
off-hand attack and still get a shield bonus to Armor Class
from the shield? What if you use a two-handed weapon?
Can you wield the weapon in two hands and still make an
off-hand attack with the spikes? What are your options for
using armor spikes in a grapple? Can you use them when
pinned? If you have another light weapon, can you use that
and your armor spikes when grappling?

When you fight with more than one weapon, you gain an
extra attack. (Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and greater
Two-Weapon Fighting give you more attacks with the extra
weapon.) Armor spikes are a light weapon that can be used as
the extra weapon.
If you attack only with your armor spikes during your turn
(or use the armor spikes to make an attack of opportunity), you
use them just like a regular weapon. If you use the full attack
action, you can use armor spikes as either a primary light
weapon or as an off-hand light weapon, even if you’re using a
shield or using a two-handed weapon. In these latter two cases,
you’re assumed to be kicking or kneeing your foe with your
armor spikes.
Whenever you use armor spikes as an off-hand weapon,
you suffer all the penalties for attacking with two weapons (see
Table 8–10 in the Player’s Handbook). When using armor
spikes along with a two-handed weapon, it is usually best to
use the two-handed weapon as your primary attack and the
armor spikes as the off-hand weapon. You can use the armor
spikes as the primary weapon and the two-handed weapon as
the off-hand attack, but when you do so, you don’t get the
benefit of using a light weapon in your off hand.
You cannot, however, use your armor spikes to make a
second off-hand attack when you’re already fighting with two
weapons. If you have a weapon in both hands and armor spikes,
you can attack with the weapons in your hands (and not with
the armor spikes) or with one of the weapons in your hands and
the armor spikes (see the description of spiked armor in
Chapter 7 of the Player’s Handbook).
When grappling, you can damage your foe with your spikes
by making a regular grapple check (opposed by your foe’s
check). If you succeed, you deal piercing damage to your foe
(see Table 7–5 in the Player’s Handbook) rather than the
unarmed strike damage you’d normally deal when damaging
your foe with a grapple check. Since you can use armor spikes
as a light weapon, you can simply use them to attack your foe.
You suffer a –4 penalty on your attack roll when attacking with
a light weapon in a grapple (see page 156 in the Player’s
Handbook), but if your foe is bigger or stronger than you, this
might prove a better tactic than trying to deal damage through a
grapple check because there is no opposed roll to make—you
just have to hit your opponent’s Armor Class. You can’t attack
with two weapons when grappling, even when one of those
weapons is armor spikes (see the section on grappling in
Chapter 8 of the Player’s Handbook).
You can’t attack and damage your foe if he has you pinned.
If you break the pin and avoid being pinned again, you can go
back to attacking your foe. If your attack bonus is high enough
to allow multiple attacks, you might break the pin and then use
your remaining attack to damage your foe. To accomplish this,
you must first use an attack to break the pin. You can break a
pin using the Escape Artist skill, but trying to do so is a
standard action for you; once you use the standard action to
attempt escape, you can’t make any more attacks during your
turn.An unarmed strike doesn't have to be with your hands (PHB 121), so you can use Two-Weapon Fighting with unarmed strikes and a two-handed weapon. Power Attack works just fine with this combo. You'll get 2-1 Power Attack as usual with your primary two-handed weapon, and 1-1 Power Attack with the unarmed strike.

I agree that sticking with warblade is generally the best idea. If the character is an elf you could consider the Eternal Blade PrC.

Here are my suggestions for avancement:

7 Warblade 1

- Moment of Perfect Mind (DM)
- Emerald Razor (DM)
- Wall of Blades (IH)

I'd go with Stance of Clarity (DM), Hunter's Sense (TC) or Leading the Charge (WR). Leading the Charge (WR) is worth considering because it's a way to qualify for Tactics of the Wolf (WR) at level 4. Punishing Stance (IH) isn't really worth it, so only pick that if you need another Iron Heart maneuver (stances count) as a prerequisite.

8 Warblade 2

- Iron Heart Surge (IH)

9 Warblade 3

- Insightful Strike (DM, max concentration)

The Melee Weapon Mastery (PHBII) feat is hard to avoid for a melee character at this level.

10 Warblade 4

- Ruby Nightmare Blade (DM, replaces Insightful Strike)

Pearl of Black Doubt (DM) is a good choice if you have a high AC and/or fight a lot of lower level opponents (who miss often). Absolute Steel Stance (IH) is useful as a Iron Heart prerequisite maneuver. If you want to keep Insightful Strike it would let you swap out one of your Iron Heart maneuvers for Lightning Recovery and get Ruby Nightmare Blade next level. If you went with Leading the Charge (WR) you can now pick up Tactics of the Wolf (WR).

11 Warblade 5

- Lightning Recovery (IH)

Lightning Recovery lets you use Ruby Nightmare Blade with lots of Power Attack and still have a good chace of hitting. (Miss? Do-over!)

Go with Improved Initiative for the bonus feat. You can't use Moment of Perfect Mind if you're flat-footed.

12 Warblade 6

The Animal Domain (CCha) feat with the Ape's Fury gets you +6 Str for one minute a day at this level. Nifty. Call it something else if you don't want to be an ape. :)

Can't think of a good swap at this level.

13 Warblade 7

- Insightful Strike (DM) ?

14 Warblade 8

- Greater Insightful Strike (DM, replaces Insightful Strike)

15 Warblade 9

Moment of Alacrity (DM)
(Lets you "steal" an extra full attack in combat against an opponent with a better initiative result.)

I'd get Blind Fight for the bonus feat. If you don't have a floaty-shield it's about time you got Improved Buckler Defense (CW). Stunning Fist or Two-Weapon Rend (PHBII) are other options.

Finally, you may want to ask your DM about psionics. The Wild Talent (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#wildTalent) feat allows you to become psioncially focused, meaning that you can "take 15" on a concentration check. Can be brutal with some of the Diamond Mind maneuvers. Third Eye Concentrate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#concentrate) (also in the MIC) grants a +10 competence bonus on concentration checks for 10 000.

Snooder
2007-12-10, 12:42 AM
I see a lot of people choosing Emerald Razor for the first maneuver. I find that interesting; personally I'd choose Mountain Hammer for the +2d6 as well as the ability to bypass all DR. IIRC Emerald Razor only makes a single attack a touch attack, so it's only useful for Power Attacking, but OP said he has no problems hitting and he can always Power Attack with another maneuver that does add damage for extra goodness.

Way I see it, the best damage numbers come from a Rapid Assault + Punishing Stance + Mountain Hammer combination to get you +4d6 to damage in the first round of combat. So a total of (1d10 + 1.5str + PA + 4d6) vs (1d10 + 1.5str + PA).

Someone correct me if my numbers are wrong or show me why Emerald Razor is so favored.

tyckspoon
2007-12-10, 12:51 AM
I see a lot of people choosing Emerald Razor for the first maneuver. I find that interesting; personally I'd choose Mountain Hammer for the +2d6 as well as the ability to bypass all DR. IIRC Emerald Razor only makes a single attack a touch attack, so it's only useful for Power Attacking, but OP said he has no problems hitting and he can always Power Attack with another maneuver that does add damage for extra goodness.

Way I see it, the best damage numbers come from a Rapid Assault + Punishing Stance + Mountain Hammer combination to get you +4d6 to damage in the first round of combat. So a total of (1d10 + 1.5str + PA + 4d6) vs (1d10 + 1.5str + PA).

Someone correct me if my numbers are wrong or show me why Emerald Razor is so favored.

Emerald Razor lets you Power Attack for *much more*. It's not as useful at low levels since you don't have as much BAB to sink into Power Attack anyway, but it holds its value better than Mountain Hammer does; you don't have to keep trading out Emerald Razor for advanced versions of itself like you would if you went with Mountain Hammer. There are a great number of higher level monsters who have all or most of their AC coming from natural armor (Dragons are the greatest example; their touch ACs actually go down as they get bigger, thanks to no Dex bonus and increasing size penalties.) When you can use Emerald Razor to sink 10 points into Power Attack and hit reliably, you're doing 20 points extra damage. Mountain Hammer won't give you that. The Mountain Hammer line is still better if you're up against something with significant DR that your weapon can't already break, tho; it's worth keeping both around.

And there's nothing stopping you from using Rapid Assault and Punishing Stance with Razor instead of hammer, although eventually you'll get better stances and probably stop using Punishing Stance.. your comparison should be (+4d6) against (+2d6 and extra Power Attack use.) Emerald Razor only has to let you use 4 more Power Attack in order to outdamage Mountain Hammer, on average.

Snooder
2007-12-10, 01:06 AM
And there's nothing stopping you from using Rapid Assault and Punishing Stance with Razor instead of hammer, although eventually you'll get better stances and probably stop using Punishing Stance.. your comparison should be (+4d6) against (+2d6 and extra Power Attack use.) Emerald Razor only has to let you use 4 more Power Attack in order to outdamage Mountain Hammer, on average.

Ah, I see. But you can power attack with Mountain Hammer as well, no?

tyckspoon
2007-12-10, 01:21 AM
Yeah, you can use Power Attack with Mountain Hammer, but if you want to Power Attack for all you're worth you're better off with Emerald Razor. Say you're level 10. Your attack bonus is probably.. oh, +17-19 (+2 or 3 base weapon bonus, +3-4 Strength, maybe a Focus.) and your party hunts down a CR 10 dragon. The Juvenile Red has an AC of 24 and a touch AC of 9. The Adult White has 26, touch AC 9. You have a little space to Power Attack and still score a reliable hit on a normal attack; you could use Mountain Hammer and 5 points of PA to get 2d6 +10 points of damage, with a fair chance of missing. Or you could use Emerald Razor and PA for all 10 BAB points, giving you +20 points of damage and swinging against an AC that is low enough that your miscellaneous bonuses can hit it on a 2. Emerald Razor gains more ground as the levels increase; the Iron Golem has 22 points of natural armor that you can ignore with Emerald Razor, dropping its AC to 8 (although if you don't have an adamantine weapon, Mountain Hammer will do more damage by ignoring its DR.)

Snooder
2007-12-10, 01:25 AM
Oh. Always good to see the numbers out there. Guess I'm the only one whose DMs have a fondness for high dex foes.

Talic
2007-12-10, 01:34 AM
I personally prefer mountain hammer because it works very well with a 2 handed weapon build, with Improved Sunder, Shock Trooper's Sundering Cleave, and Improved Trip.

Mountain Hammer Sunder (with a greatsword, this is 2d6 +2d6 + 1.5 Str, ignore hardness... with the most basic iteration of Mountain Hammer. 18 Str = 20 damage average without power attack. That'll take down most weapons)

Free cleave (Trip).

Free attack to the prone foe at +4.

Now your foe provokes an AoO getting up, and even then is still weaponless.

Better against humanoid foes.