PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help - How to Defeat Wind Wall [3.5e]

yeetusmcgeetus
2023-09-21, 03:39 PM
Apologies if I do anything wrong here, I don't post often.

Anyways, I'm currently running a sorta-evilish high-powergaming campaign, and it seems there's PvP combat on the horizon. The sort of "team leaders" are Ranger (pure archer ranger using whatever that feat is that lets archers attack multiple times) and Caster (mystic theurge with some added cheese). Caster plans to use wind wall to become completely immune to Ranger's attacks, standing inside of the wall so Ranger can't shoot over. There's a decent chance that someone on Ranger's side will use divination spells to try and figure out a way around this, and I want to have something good to tell them. So what options are available to counter wind wall? Ranger's team does not have much access to arcane magic.

Edit before anyone asks: no, I'm not going to ban wind wall or change the way it works. I try to not interfere too much in PvP to avoid any percieved favoritism. I also won't tell anyone any info they don't already have unless they use divnation magic.

AnonJr
2023-09-21, 04:19 PM
Counter spell with the same, or Dispel is always an option.

yeetusmcgeetus
2023-09-21, 04:20 PM
Counter spell with the same, or Dispel is always an option.
Oh right those exist
me big dum
Edit: although I'm not sure either would work very well for the Ranger's team

Troacctid
2023-09-21, 04:34 PM
Walk through the wall to the other side.

yeetusmcgeetus
2023-09-21, 04:36 PM
Walk through the wall to the other side.

The thing is, Caster plans on being inside the actual wall itself because wind wall is purely vertical, so if it was just surrounding him Ranger could just shoot over it very easily.

eggynack
2023-09-21, 04:50 PM
The thing is, Caster plans on being inside the actual wall itself because wind wall is purely vertical, so if it was just surrounding him Ranger could just shoot over it very easily.
And enemies can also walk inside of it.

yeetusmcgeetus
2023-09-21, 05:09 PM
And enemies can also walk inside of it.

That doesn't... help though? It still blocks arrows (and yes melee combat is an option, but the only ones good at it are on Caster's team)

Troacctid
2023-09-21, 05:26 PM
If the caster isn't leaving enough space for two people to be encircled by the wall at once, then try flying over the wall and shooting downward.

yeetusmcgeetus
2023-09-21, 05:45 PM
If the caster isn't leaving enough space for two people to be encircled by the wall at once, then try flying over the wall and shooting downward.

I'm doing a bad job of explaining it, but basically wind wall is thick and he plans on being fully encased within the wall (like, within the edge of the cylinder)

Troacctid
2023-09-21, 06:07 PM
I'm doing a bad job of explaining it, but basically wind wall is thick and he plans on being fully encased within the wall (like, within the edge of the cylinder)
It's only 2 feet thick. That's thinner than the space occupied by the character; you'd be able to just shoot him without your arrows passing through the wall at all.

yeetusmcgeetus
2023-09-21, 06:10 PM
It's only 2 feet thick. That's thinner than the space occupied by the character; you'd be able to just shoot him without your arrows passing through the wall at all.

Oh wow I'm REALLY dumb. I read the description of wind wall like 30 times how did I not notice that?

Crake
2023-09-21, 06:42 PM
If you allow pathfinder material, the cyclonic weapon enchantment (either on his bow, or a handful of arrows) lets him completely ignore the effects of any sort of wind.

Would cost about 366gp per arrow though, so dunno if he has the money to throw that around right now. That said, he could fire the first arrow, and then bluff that he has the upper hand and convince the caster to surrender

AnonJr
2023-09-22, 07:01 AM
Oh right those exist
me big dum
Edit: although I'm not sure either would work very well for the Ranger's team

Why not? In the Counter-spell case, the Ranger would cancel out the attempt by the Sorcerer to cast it. The Dispel would depend in part on which Dispel they're using, but only a stupidly broad use could cause problems for the Ranger's crew.

ciopo
2023-09-22, 08:46 AM
seeking weapon property, if you go with the interpretation that the wind wall "deflect upward and miss" is a 100% miss chance, because the arrows veers off course due to the wind... then veer right back at the target due to seeking and correctly targeting the square.

If not on the bow, then on a slingshot I guess, rocks are dumb and only have 30% miss chance instead of "is a miss"

arkieNork
2023-09-23, 04:50 PM
Wait a minute or so

Wind Wall is a round/lvl spell. If their caster is going to try to sit safely inside it, just pull back, let it expire.

Jay R
2023-09-23, 05:27 PM
Reminder: A team needs to have lots of options. If you are depending on archery alone, and your enemy knows it, then it can be countered.

If you are depending on X alone, and your enemy knows it, then it can be countered, for pretty much any value of X.

So yes, use dispel magic or counterspell. But also hire a couple of melee warriors to run through it and engage the Mystic Theurge. Don't count on the arrows alone.

Don't count on X alone, whatever X is.

The caster is counting on wind wall alone. That has exactly the same limitation as counting on archery alone. If your opponent thinks you are counting on X alone, and you know it, then you know their strategy, and can counter it.

Dispel magic, counterspell, melee fighters, etc. There are lots of ways to counter wind wall. Just don't let him know you are already ready to counter his plan.

Demidos
2023-09-28, 11:47 AM
Hank's energy bow is a specific weapon that shoots force arrows, which being made of force are automatically immune to wind wall. Pretty powerful bow in either case.

Telonius
2023-09-28, 01:30 PM
A giant-thrown boulder, a siege engine projectile, and other massive ranged weapons are not affected.

If they know the combat is coming, and know where it's going to be, set up and conceal a ballista ahead of time. Preparing the battlefield isn't just for Wizards.