PDA

View Full Version : 5e Silver Tongued Rogue- looking for suggestions?

Riftwolf
2023-09-22, 08:43 AM
I'm new to 5e and don't have access to all the books (and googling stuff often leads to janky homebrews/3rd party content), but I wanted to play as a charismatic rogue. Charisma looks to be a casting stat more than anything in 5e, but our DM is running a campaign that emphasizes social interaction and no violent resolutions (but still with a decent amount of fighting, just with non-lethal damage). Other people suggested if I wanted to play a charming character I should play a Bard, but a) we already have two and b) I'd rather not play a casting class if it can be helped (I'd prefer a class with a passive buffs rather than a ton of activated abilities, just so I can keep track of everything)
I haven't been able to find anything that really fits a Charisma Rogue, has anyone home-brewed a subclass to fill that gap? Or have I missed something glaringly obvious when scanning the books?
My DM is open to homebrew so long as it doesn't bust the game and so long as we don't take the proverbial.

MrStabby
2023-09-22, 09:03 AM
So I will maybe come back with homebrew later (fleshing out what you like/don't want a bit more will help out), but there are a few options that are obvous in existing content...

1) Multiclass with hexblade. You get one level of caster, so its not totally caster free but you get to use charisma as your primary stat when attacking. With something like a battlemaster you might get the feel you want?

2) Swashbuckler. Rogue that has charisma as secondary characteristic.

3) Dexterity Paladin. Its a caster, but can equally well just use spell slots for smiting enemies. You can play such a character as a rogue as well as any other, and some like the Venance Paladin will do this very nicely.

Grod_The_Giant
2023-09-22, 09:04 AM
The Mastermind subclass (Xanathar's) is probably the most socially-oriented published Rogue option--it gives you abilities related to mimicry and out-of-combat analysis. Sorcerers (with Silent Spell) and Warlocks (with invocations like Mask of Many Faces) can also be good sneaky, dashing socialites.

Notafish
2023-09-22, 10:22 AM
I'm considering doing a charisma rogue entry in the current subclass contest based off the 3.p bard, but I'll second the Swashbuckler suggestion for a ready-to-use high-charisma rogue.