PDA

View Full Version : Sparky's Next Review

Sparky McDibben
2023-09-23, 06:53 PM
Hey y'all,

Put up a poll on EnWorld to solicit advice on what I should review next. Let me know your thoughts!

https://www.enworld.org/threads/next-review-subject.700031/

Also, the Grim Hollow Campaign Guide review is complete here:

https://www.enworld.org/threads/grim-hollow-campaign-guide-3rd-party-review.699801/

Brookshw
2023-09-23, 07:44 PM
As entertaining as your meltdown would be, I'll vote Black Wyrm.

Sparky McDibben
2023-09-24, 12:01 AM
Thanks! I wish I hadn't said that; now Strixhaven's picking up steam. :D

animorte
2023-09-24, 12:15 AM
Thanks! I wish I hadn't said that; now Strixhaven's picking up steam. :D
Please do Strixhaven! I thoroughly enjoyed it and would love to see your thoughts on it. I have implemented it's social system to a lot of other games.

Speaking of which, you started placing reviews over on ENWorld, which I was following but something was consistently preventing me from making any posts. :smallconfused:

Sparky McDibben
2023-09-24, 12:31 AM
Please do Strixhaven! I thoroughly enjoyed it and would love to see your thoughts on it. I have implemented it's social system to a lot of other games.

Speaking of which, you started placing reviews over on ENWorld, which I was following but something was consistently preventing me from making any posts. :smallconfused:

That's weird (the no-posting thing, not the Strixhaven thing). Are you logged in as a user over there?

NRSASD
2023-09-24, 01:54 PM
My vote has been cast into the abyss! I would prefer you remain un-melted.

Arkhios
2023-09-24, 02:23 PM
I must say, the Campaign Book is a bit boring compared to, but especially alone without, the Player's Guide and Monster Grimoire. I really implore you to check them out and give them a good glance. The big picture is worth it.

Still, the setting seems great at a glance, but the implementation is somewhat half-a**ed (pardon my french; there really is no better word for it, or I'm not aware of one).

However, the new mechanics make for a great toolkit for one's own homebrew setting that merely includes rules from Grim Hollow rather than sets the game in Etharis.

We've played 7 sessions now in one such game, with an interesting concept that is very similar to what happened in Witcher; two different worlds are colliding and bits of the worlds are merging with each other, and the other world is Erathis. So, we're not getting all of Erathis, only bits of it flooding into "our" world, causing great calamity and strange encounters where the heroes have almost no clue what the heck are those creature they're facing, because they're largely new to the whole world, never before seen menaces.

Player's Guide not only offers more depth to mechanics already introduced in Campaign Guide, it also offers new options, for both Advanced Weapons, Transformations*, and Spells, as well as two new subclasses for each 12 classes found in PHB.

I've had a blast with my Specter* Fighter so far, and we're now at 8th level (yeah, it's a bit fast-paced game. Not that I'm complaining; it's nice to get to play at higher levels as soon as possible, for change)