PDA

View Full Version : Need help building a Lycan Bloodhunter

ChaseC311
2023-09-24, 04:04 AM
I'm currently working on creating a level 4 bloodhunter for an upcoming campaign of mine who's essentially from a blood hunter conclave that's one big opera house that does monster hunting on the side, think a mix of a performer troupe and a mercenary group. Likewise her abilities are also flavored to fit her music/sound theme (her lycan forms reflavored to be more harpy/banshee like in appearance, her crimson rite is flavored as her screeching opera hard enough to shred her vocal chords, etc etc), but I'm having issues putting together her build

MISC DETAILS
. I know I want her to be a strength based lycan bloodhunter. I know it ain't optimal but it's fun
. I'm using the variant hemocraft modifier so she's Wisdom based
. Intelligence is her dumpstat
. She's going to be a frontliner. Whether or not she'll be more tanky or more hit and run is up in the air, depending on the feat selection

Right now I have her concept nearly finalized, its the specifics of her build I'm trying to decide on. The main issues I have come with the bloodhunter curse choice, race choice, and feat choice

For race I'm debating either making her a Zariel Tiefling or a Goliath

If I were to make her a Zariel tiefling, she'd have more offensive abilities with her smite spells, adding to her dpr when she's not using her lycan form. It also fits better thematically as she grew up in the desert, but she wouldn't have any defensive features with her race and I'd be the 4th tiefling In the party (it's a party of 7). As a tiefling monster hunter who does opera, I've decided to name her Vanity Hellsinger (Van Hellsing) for short.

Alternatively I could make her a Goliath (Vanity Hailsing), which helps keep the party from just being a bunch of tieflings and gives me a defensive reaction as a Frontliner, but at the same time gives me no offensive boon for when I'm out of lycan form, and is overall more difficult to explain why she'd grow up in the desert.

I'm also trying to determine which blood curse would work thematically with her music theme as well as what feat would compliment her frontliner playstyle. Should I get something more tanky like the tough feat to offset crimson rite damage, something that bolsters my weapon attacks like GWM, something that would help my lycan form (idk if there's a feat that boosts unarmed strikes though so r.i.p, should I even focus on unarmed strikes in lycan form??) Or something different all together?

As always, any and all help is appreciated!