PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Do these push options stack?

wookietek
2023-09-24, 03:46 PM
I have a Battle Master with pushing attack who has the crusher feat and stone giant's strike. Can I actually move someone up to 30' with one attack? Yes, I do know that I am being greedy...

Skrum
2023-09-24, 05:15 PM
If I was the DM, yes these would stack. And AFAIK there's nothing RAW that would contradict this

Crusher is automatic and requires no action on your part
Pushing Attack can be used as part of an attack (requiring no additional action on your part)
Stone Giant's Strike takes a bonus action prior to the attack

So yeah, it works. Push 5' automatically, and then 2 saves, 1 for each effect. I guess that would be the only thing to keep in mind: each ability triggers independently, and they get a save for both effects.

Christew
2023-09-25, 12:03 PM
I have a Battle Master with pushing attack who has the crusher feat and stone giant's strike. Can I actually move someone up to 30' with one attack? Yes, I do know that I am being greedy...
*I assume we are talking about Strike of the Giants: Stone Strike*

Triggers
Pushing Attack: (1) hit a creature, (2) with a weapon attack, (3) spend a superiority die, (4) target is Large or smaller, and (5) target fails a saving throw
Crusher: (1) hit a creature, (2) with an attack that deals bludgeoning damage, (3) target is no more than one size larger than you
Stone Strike: (1) hit a creature, (2) with a melee weapon attack or a ranged weapon attack using a thrown weapon, (3) target fails a saving throw

Taken together, you can totally trigger all three of these with a single attack against a creature provided (1) the attack is with a melee or thrown weapon AND deals bludgeoning damage, (2) the creature is Large or smaller AND no more than one size larger than you, and (3) the creature fails both saves.

In that event, you would move the creature (1) up to 15 ft away from you, (2) 5 ft to an unoccupied space, and (3) 10 ft from you in a straight line. Because of the varying language used this could conceivably yield some strange vectors (some of which may require DM approval), but 30 ft in a straight line away from you to an unoccupied space would definitely work.

All told, since it only works with limited attack types on a limited size class and costs two feats + a superiority die + a proficiency bonus limited use ability + two failed saves, I wouldn't even call it greedy. Pretty hefty investment, limited use case, and fairly reasonable result.

*Again, assuming we are talking about the feat from Bigby's*
Does it?

crabwizard77
2023-11-09, 09:12 AM
Hm..... I wonder what the maximum push distance is that you can get with a single attack.

Hairfish
2023-11-09, 10:20 AM
Add lightning damage to your warhammer and take 6 levels of tempest cleric for another 10' to anything Large or smaller, no save.

Since it's possible to voluntarily fail saving throws, this could be a novel way to bridge gaps, too. Tie a rope to a party member, give them some temp hp, and swing batter swing.

cZak
2023-11-09, 06:41 PM
Add Swarmkeeper for 15' w a Strength save

RogueJK
2023-11-09, 07:19 PM
Hm..... I wonder what the maximum push distance is that you can get with a single attack.

Let's try a Swarmkeeper Ranger 3/Tempest Cleric 6/Swords Bard 10, with the Crusher feat, Gift of the Chromatic Dragon feat, Fighting Initiate (Pushing Attack) feat, the Strike of the Giant (Stone's Strike) feat from the Giant Foundling background, and Thunderous Smite as a Magical Secret.

Step 1) Imbue your bludgeoning weapon with Lighting using Gift of the Chromatic Dragon beforehand. (Lasts 1 minute, so doesn't have to be immediately beforehand.)
Step 2) Cast Thunderous Smite using your Bonus Action and Concentration.
Step 3) Use your Action to hit a Large or smaller creature with your lightning-enhanced bludgeoning weapon, and activate the Mobile Flourish, Pushing Attack, Stone Strike, Crusher, Thunderous Strike, Thunderous Smite, and Gathered Swarm shoves.

5' Shove from Crusher (no save)
5+1d10' Shove from Mobile Flourish (no save)
10' Shove from Thunderous Strike (no save)
10' Shove from Thunderous Smite (STR save)
10' Shove from Stone Strike (STR save)
15' Shove from Gathered Swarm (STR save)
15' Shove from Pushing Strike (STR save)

That'd be a 70'-80' Shove from one attack, if they fail 4x STR saves. (Or at least 20'-30', if they make all 4.)

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/mcleodgaming/images/b/be/Beta_screen_ko.gif/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/640?cb=20200223053625

No it doesn't. That was in the UA version, but in the published version you simply choose to trigger it when you hit with either a melee weapon attack or a ranged weapon attack using a thrown weapon. No action required.

Mastikator
2023-11-10, 02:35 PM
Throw in Ranger Swarmkeeper for an additional save vs being moved 15 feet. 45 feet is longer than the average monster's movement speed I think.

crabwizard77
2023-11-17, 11:01 AM
Well, I know what my next build is going to be. :smallbiggrin:

RogueJK
2023-11-17, 12:33 PM
Well, I know what my next build is going to be. :smallbiggrin:

If you're referring to my theorycrafted Ranger/Cleric/Bard shover, I wouldn't... It could be a nifty one-trick-pony to bust out in a lighthearted Level 19 one-shot to get some jaw drops, but it would suck to play in a campaign as you level up along the way. You're fairly MAD, but only really have one free ASI to use on stats due to the feat-intensive nature of the build. And you're behind the curve as both a martial and a caster. Plus it doesn't fully come online until Tier 4.

You could still get big shoves in a much more campaign-friendly package with something like a basic Dao Genie Warlock 2/Sorcerer X, shoving 10' with each Repelling Eldritch Blast, plus another 5' once per turn from Crusher thanks to your bonus bludgeoning damage. If you use Quicken Spell for two EBs in a turn, that's up to 45' per turn with no save in Tier 2, up to 65' in Tier 3, and up to 85' in Tier 4.

Or for melee, something like a Paladin 2/Swords Bard X shoving up to 15+15+15+5 on a hit with Stone Giant's Strike, Mobile Flourish, Thunderous Smite, and Crusher. Or a Swarmkeeper Ranger 3/Open Hand Monk X shoving 15+15+15+5 on a hit with Stone Giant's Strength, Gathered Swarm, Open Hand Technique, and Crusher. Or a Swarmkeeper Ranger 3/Battlemaster Fighter X shoving 15+15+15+10+5 from Stone Giant's Strike, Gathered Swarm, Pushing Attack, and Crusher. That's up to 50' in a turn for any of those, though these all involve various STR saves to avoid some of the forced movement, and can't do it as often as the Dao Sorlock.

Any of those four simpler example builds would come online a lot sooner, and would be a lot more satisfying to play level-by-level because they'd be an effective and cohesive build from the start.