PDA

View Full Version : Spell summaries, what's important/useful?

PhoenixPhyre
2023-09-25, 11:30 AM
As part of several ongoing efforts, I'd like to compile a 1-2 sentence summary of each printed spell. Trying to decide what's important.

Current thoughts (ones I'm questioning are marked with (?)):

0. Spell level. Probably organize the whole list as "spell level then alphabetically". Thanks @Psyren for catching that omission.
1. Name. Obviously.
2. Classes that get default (ie class-level access).
3. Classes that get subclass access(?)
4. Concentration or not.
5. If damaging, damage type and dice.
6. Ranged vs melee(?)
7. Save vs attack(?)
8. Area of effect/range(?)
9. Some kind of short description for non-damaging and/or utility effects.

So, for instance, two cantrips, (C) is concentration, and I'm too lazy to figure out class lists right now:

Chill touch (Class list here): necrotic damage 90 ft, ATK, 1d8. Prevents healing 1 rnd.
Dancing lights (class list here): utility (C). Creates several mobile lights.

Psyren
2023-09-25, 12:10 PM
Did you intentionally leave out spell level? That's probably an important field.

(3) could lead you down a rabbit hole of all-but recreating D&D Beyond's spell query tool. If you're up for that...

For (6) I would just include "melee" or "touch" as one of the range options under (8)'s "Range" and eliminate it.

PhoenixPhyre
2023-09-25, 12:12 PM
Did you intentionally leave out spell level? That's probably an important field.

(3) could lead you down a rabbit hole of all-but recreating D&D Beyond's spell query tool. If you're up for that...

For (6) I would just include "melee" as one of the range options under (8)'s "Range" and eliminate it.

Ah. I was thinking the spell summaries themselves would be organized alphabetically by spell level already, so it slipped my mind to explicitly include it. But yes, spell level is important :smallbiggrin:

(3) yeah, that one's iffy and could balloon things. So probably leave it out.

(6) agreed. Nice catch.

Monster Manuel
2023-09-25, 12:54 PM
It's useful to tag the spells that can be cast as a Ritual. Probably good to have detail about casting time in general (reaction, bonus, full action, 1 minutes, 1 hour, etc), and whether or not it's a ritual just gets appended to that casting time as an "(r)" r something.

PhoenixPhyre
2023-09-25, 12:58 PM
It's useful to tag the spells that can be cast as a Ritual. Probably good to have detail about casting time in general (reaction, bonus, full action, 1 minutes, 1 hour, etc), and whether or not it's a ritual just gets appended to that casting time as an "(r)" r something.

My plan is to call out the non-action cast times explicitly, so anything not marked is 1 action. Adding a ritual marker is probably a good idea.

Snowbluff
2023-09-25, 02:52 PM
Duration is in one of your descriptions but I think it's missing from the list. Duration is very important. Another one would be iterative/continuing saves (blindness or spirit guardians for example), but it might get wordy at that point.

PhoenixPhyre
2023-09-25, 04:05 PM
Duration is in one of your descriptions but I think it's missing from the list. Duration is very important. Another one would be iterative/continuing saves (blindness or spirit guardians for example), but it might get wordy at that point.

Another oversight on my part when writing the list. Plans are

a) concentration durations get listed with concentration.
b) Other durations (non-instant) get listed separately.

The phrase "save ends" is used as shorthand for for "at the end of <target>'s turn, they can reattempt the saving throw, ending the effect on a success."

"save for half" is used as shorthand for "you take half damage and no other effect on a successful save".

Both of those phrases are explained at the top of the summary page. Yeah, they're 4e-isms, but I think they're useful as shorthands for summaries. I'd not use them in the formal descriptions, but...

Rukelnikov
2023-09-25, 05:25 PM
I'd include VSM, or at the very least expensive material components.

Psyren
2023-09-25, 05:39 PM
I'd include VSM, or at the very least expensive material components.

Oh that reminds me. For M spells, knowing whether the M is costly and therefore not replaceable by a focus/pouch would be useful. In addition, knowing whether the costly component is consumed or not would be useful too.

kingcheesepants
2023-09-26, 01:33 AM
I suppose the answer to what's important to include would be contingent upon what this summary is for. To be honest it looks like you're doing a ton of work that's already been done by others.

But probably school of magic is relevant considering the number of class/subclass abilities and spells (evoker wizards getting to sculpt spells with evocation spells specifically for example) that specifically interact with one school or another.

cZak
2023-09-27, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure the effort is worth the results...

Chill touch
Necromancy cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round

You create a ghostly, skeletal hand in the space of a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the creature to assail it with the chill of the grave. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 necrotic damage, and it can't regain hit points until the start of your next turn. Until then, the hand clings to the target.

If you hit an undead target, it also has disadvantage on attack rolls against you until the end of your next turn.

This spell's damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).
Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Subclasses: Arcana Cleric, Arcane Trickster Rogue, Spores Druid, Death Cleric, Eldritch Knight Fighter
Races: Elf (Eladrin), Elf (High), Elf (High; Aereni), Elf (High; Valenar), Elf (Shadar-kai), Elf (Zendikar; Mul Daya Nation), Half-Elf (Variant; Moon Elf or Sun Elf Descent), Kobold, Merfolk (Ixalan; Blue), Merfolk (Zendikar; Ula Creed)

Seems easier to edit the listings than it does to create from scratch

PhoenixPhyre
2023-09-27, 02:13 PM
I'm not sure the effort is worth the results...

Chill touch
Necromancy cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round

You create a ghostly, skeletal hand in the space of a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the creature to assail it with the chill of the grave. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 necrotic damage, and it can't regain hit points until the start of your next turn. Until then, the hand clings to the target.

If you hit an undead target, it also has disadvantage on attack rolls against you until the end of your next turn.

This spell's damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).
Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Subclasses: Arcana Cleric, Arcane Trickster Rogue, Spores Druid, Death Cleric, Eldritch Knight Fighter
Races: Elf (Eladrin), Elf (High), Elf (High; Aereni), Elf (High; Valenar), Elf (Shadar-kai), Elf (Zendikar; Mul Daya Nation), Half-Elf (Variant; Moon Elf or Sun Elf Descent), Kobold, Merfolk (Ixalan; Blue), Merfolk (Zendikar; Ula Creed)

Seems easier to edit the listings than it does to create from scratch

The goal is having this as an entirely separate page that lists all spells by level. Sort of a spell index. Because the current "all alphabetical" list works for some purposes...but sucks for lots of others. Especially things like "I have a monster who can cast 5 spells, now I need to have 5 pages in the PHB open."

For reference, the entry for chill touch is (right now): "Chill Touch: (<Class list, just names/links, base lists only>) 90 ft, ATK, 1d8 necrotic. Prevents healing 1 round."

That's it.

kingcheesepants
2023-09-28, 01:28 AM
So you want an index that can quickly be accessed during combat? Since this would be a trivial task if you just used the spell filter tool on a site like dndbeyond or certain other 5th edition tool sites, I take it you're against having electronics at the table? If that's the case I've seen people that use spell cards, you can buy them ready made (with fancy art and whatnot) or just print out the spells you need and stick em on an index card.

Oramac
2023-09-29, 02:52 PM
The goal is having this as an entirely separate page that lists all spells by level. Sort of a spell index.

Do you explicitly want this to be on paper, or are you open to it being digital?

If the latter, google "5e grimoire" and the first link is pretty much exactly what you're talking about, with the exception that it includes the full spell text. I use it constantly, both as a player and a DM.