PDA

View Full Version : Does Readying a weapon against a charge stop the charge?

liquidformat
2023-09-26, 02:05 AM
So I had always thought that if you ready a weapon against a charge and you succeed on the attack it would stop the charge. However, reading through the rules this doesn't seem to be the case, or they just don't say either way. Is there any place in the rules where it does say explicitly that it does or doesn't stop the charge?

Crake
2023-09-26, 04:48 AM
So I had always thought that if you ready a weapon against a charge and you succeed on the attack it would stop the charge. However, reading through the rules this doesn't seem to be the case, or they just don't say either way. Is there any place in the rules where it does say explicitly that it does or doesn't stop the charge?

Lack of any rule seems to support the notion that it does not stop the charge. You could, however, ready to trip them instead, and if you had improved trip, you get to attack them still

Paragon
2023-09-26, 09:20 AM
Same with Bullrush or any other crowd control effect

loky1109
2023-09-26, 10:30 AM
When you ready standard action with readied action you could also make 5-ft step. Charger should attack from 1st available square. Just strike him and step away. Or even just step away. One moment: trigger for your ready action should be charger's attack, not entering area.

Darg
2023-09-26, 01:08 PM
When you ready standard action with readied action you could also make 5-ft step. Charger should attack from 1st available square. Just strike him and step away. Or even just step away. One moment: trigger for your ready action should be charger's attack, not entering area.

Taking a 5ft step doesn't technically stop a charge by itself. Charging doesn’t necessitate by RAW you move in a straight line only that the line between you and your ending space isn't blocked, slows, or contains a creature. This means if they still have movement they can still move another 5 ft to complete their charge if it's legal.

loky1109
2023-09-26, 01:41 PM
Taking a 5ft step doesn't technically stop a charge by itself. Charging doesn’t necessitate by RAW you move in a straight line only that the line between you and your ending space isn't blocked, slows, or contains a creature. This means if they still have movement they can still move another 5 ft to complete their charge if it's legal.

Yes, but no.
Reading attack is important. Then you ready attack it (attack) is already requested at moment you make your action. Enemy can't cancel it after your readied action.

KillianHawkeye
2023-09-26, 02:20 PM
It'll stop their charge if you kill them :smallwink:

Darg
2023-09-26, 03:52 PM
Yes, but no.
Reading attack is important. Then you ready attack it (attack) is already requested at moment you make your action. Enemy can't cancel it after your readied action.

They didn't cancel their action, they just haven't done it yet. Remember, your readied action happens before the trigger. It's either that or it doesn't prevent the attack because the attack already happened to have triggered the readied action.

loky1109
2023-09-26, 06:36 PM
"Readied action happens before the trigger" means trigger should happen after readied action. If it's still possible.

Crake
2023-09-27, 04:29 AM
Just ready a full actual move action and move 30ft out of the way

Darg
2023-09-27, 09:13 AM
"Readied action happens before the trigger" means trigger should happen after readied action. If it's still possible.

It does not say the character is forced to continue with the trigger.

Naaman
2023-09-28, 12:21 PM
The way I read it, if the charging character survives the readied attack, and if nothing about the attack creates a situation that renders the charge illegal, then he may continue with the rest of his action.

If we compare this to a readied attack against a spellcaster that forces a concentration check, we can see the rules explicitly state that a failed check spoils the spell.

But merely being damaged during a charge doesn't seem to be enough to cancel that action (charging provokes attacks of opportunity from characters who threaten squares you move through; it also imposes a -2 penalty to AC, implying that a character should expect to be hit more easily during a round in which he charges, so "getting" hit doesn't seem to be a reason to cancel a charge).

The property of spears that allows them to be set against a charge doesn't seem to imply it does anything to stop the charge (other than increasing the likelihood of incapacitating the charging character).

H_H_F_F
2023-09-28, 01:05 PM
I get the simulationist instinct here, but I see no reason to think it'd stop a charge - you can't stick someone with a spear in 3.5 and prevent them from moving, charging doesn't change anything in that regard.

loky1109
2023-09-28, 01:37 PM
I get the simulationist instinct here, but I see no reason to think it'd stop a charge - you can't stick someone with a spear in 3.5 and prevent them from moving, charging doesn't change anything in that regard.

Actually you can, but you need a feat - Stand Still. But type of weapon doesn't matter, doesn't cause damage and work with AoO.

Telonius
2023-09-28, 01:38 PM
You could possibly manage that if you had the Stand Still feat. [Ninja'd by Loky]

Another possibility: ready action to throw down caltrops.

loky1109
2023-09-28, 01:56 PM
Another possibility: ready action to throw down caltrops.
Or cast it!

H_H_F_F
2023-09-28, 04:55 PM
Oh, sure. I wasn't trying to imply there's no way to deny movement in 3.5 - just that by default, getting hit doesn't get you stuck, and there's no reason for a charge to change that.