PDA

View Full Version : Warlock 18 plus 2 ???

kbob
2023-09-26, 10:39 AM
Hey! I have a warlock (hexblade) coming up on level 17. I started him a few years again at 1. My original intent was to go all the way to 20. Honestly though, there is little mechanically compelling me to do so. Obviously I’ll commit to 17 for the 9th level spell. But there’s not much after that. The cap stone sucks. I will probably take 18 just for the last invocation. I may even dip 2 levels in something else at 17 then take my last level in warlock 18. But even that I’m not completely sold on.
So I’m in need of advice for my last 2 dips (possibly 3). He is primarily a melee build but can certainly fill support or control if needed. For dips, martial classes aren’t looking so attractive as he is already almost un-hittable when buffed and he does some ridiculous damage with his +2 glaive (PAM, GWM, Life Drinker with 22 Cha). The exception would be 2 levels of fighter for actions surge (one of the best features in the game). To be honest I was leaning this way for a while. Then I looked at where his insufficiencies are and they lie in saves and, of course, spells (at least compared to REAL full casters). So my stats are pretty good which allow me to MC into anything except cleric (though for just the thought exercise I would like to see what cleric dips, if any, y’all would recommend as people usually dip into warlock and not out of… just would like to see a different take). All that said, I’m now leaning 2 wizard (war) for the extra spells, ritual casting, added initiative boost from tactical wit, and last but certainly not least, arcane deflection for the boost to saves.

What do y’all think? Am I leaning the right direction with war wizard or maybe the action surge will help me more than I thought. Perhaps you see something completely different from what I see and a different class/subclass is better. Perhaps, just for the good of the group (maybe someone else has been wondering something similar), cleric would be the way if I had a 13 wis. If so, what would that be? Should I only dip 2 and take the last invocation? Maybe taking 3 levels in something else or 2 in one class and 1 in another is the way to go?

I should note, we use all official sources that are not setting dependent, save for forgotten realms (the setting we play in). Thank you all for any help!

Bobthewizard
2023-09-26, 10:54 AM
Echo knight makes for a great 3 levels on a hexblade. Action surge, defense style, manifest echo and unleash incarnation for some more attacks.

Psyren
2023-09-26, 10:59 AM
Fighter 2 and Sorcerer 2 are both great dips to round out a Hexblade, the former for action surge and the latter for metamagic and converting your pact slots into sorcery points or vice-versa before you rest.

J-H
2023-09-26, 11:15 AM
Coffeelock (spell slots to metamagic before a SR) may not fly with your DM.

Action Surge is good, as is a free fighting style (+1 AC, 10' blindsight, etc.).

You do lose an ASI at 19. The Mobile feat is handier than you might think, if you haven't used it before. +33% speed and free disengage after you hit enemies. You could also use it to pick up Inspiring Leader (everyone gets 25-26 temp HP 1/SR).

Bard would get you 6 Bardic Inspiration d6s to hand out to buff your party as a bonus action, and 1/2 your PB to all skills you're not proficient in.

If you're going to 20, your DM may have something in mind for better capstones or epic boons. I suggest talking to your DM first.

diplomancer
2023-09-26, 12:12 PM
You didn't mention your race. If you happen to be an elf (or Eladrin/Shadar-Kai), I'd definitely recommend Sorcerer 3 for "decaf coffeelock". You can finish your Long Rest in 4 hours, and then spend the next 4 hours short resting to get more low level slots, and precast some nice buffs on the party. Clockwork Sorcerer 3, for instance would give you Aid, which you can cast at the party, with Extended Metamagic, at level 5. Extended Metamagic also allows you to cast a Summons Spell, rest for 1 hour, and still have one more hour to use your summon, having got your slot back.

CTurbo
2023-09-26, 01:11 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Paladin yet. +1 AC, a little extra healing, and SMITES. Either Vengeance or Devotion would be a good 3 level dip.

Fighter would be good for Action Surge and I'd go Battle Master for some maneuvers, but Echo Knight would be good too.

Sorcerer is another "obvious" choice as you'd get 4 cantrips, 4 spells known, 4 1st level slots, 2 2nd level slots, and some metamagic. 3 Sorcery Points isn't going to get you very far though.

Your Wizard idea is good too. All those low level Rituals are still useful late game IMO. I'd consider Diviner for Portent.

kbob
2023-09-26, 01:28 PM
You didn't mention your race. If you happen to be an elf (or Eladrin/Shadar-Kai), I'd definitely recommend Sorcerer 3 for "decaf coffeelock". You can finish your Long Rest in 4 hours, and then spend the next 4 hours short resting to get more low level slots, and precast some nice buffs on the party. Clockwork Sorcerer 3, for instance would give you Aid, which you can cast at the party, with Extended Metamagic, at level 5. Extended Metamagic also allows you to cast a Summons Spell, rest for 1 hour, and still have one more hour to use your summon, having got your slot back.

Im a human (variant). I do like aid and I do support when needed. But that’s not my primary schtick.

kbob
2023-09-26, 01:29 PM
QUOTE=Bobthewizard;25876601]Echo knight makes for a great 3 levels on a hexblade. Action surge, defense style, manifest echo and unleash incarnation for some more attacks.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately we cannot use Wildemount. Only forgotten realms compatible.

Fighter 2 and Sorcerer 2 are both great dips to round out a Hexblade, the former for action surge and the latter for metamagic and converting your pact slots into sorcery points or vice-versa before you rest.

I didn’t think too much about sorcerer. I like metamagic for sure but I thought the reaction boost to saves for war wizard would be better long term.

Coffeelock (spell slots to metamagic before a SR) may not fly with your DM.

Action Surge is good, as is a free fighting style (+1 AC, 10' blindsight, etc.).

You do lose an ASI at 19. The Mobile feat is handier than you might think, if you haven't used it before. +33% speed and free disengage after you hit enemies. You could also use it to pick up Inspiring Leader (everyone gets 25-26 temp HP 1/SR).

Ya the coffeelock thing has been banned. But ya action surge with fighting style is pretty good.
I wasn’t sure what feat to get if I went to 19. I mean I was sure I could pick something but I didn’t consider mobile. Movement is highly underrated with some tables and it’s something my char is lacking. I will consider this.

Psyren
2023-09-26, 01:35 PM
I didn’t think too much about sorcerer. I like metamagic for sure but I thought the reaction boost to saves for war wizard would be better long term.

That's actually another benefit to Sorcerer - it will give you some 1st-level slots that you can use on the Reaction Three (Shield, Absorb Elements, Silvery Barbs) without burning your pact slots, and moreover, all three of those are on the Sorcerer list.

RogueJK
2023-09-26, 03:52 PM

Note the Sorcerers get Metamagic at Level 3, not 2... So that would have to be a 17/3 split, not 18/2.

For strictly 2 level dips, I think Fighter or War Wizard are going to serve you best. Fighter gets you a Fighting Style and Action Surge. War Wizard gets you Shield/Absorb Elements/Silvery Barbs (if allowed) and 4x 1st level slots per day to use with them (3+1 Arcane Recovery), as well as a few utility cantrips and rituals, +INT to Initiative, and +4 to saving throws as a reaction.

Personally, I'd lean towards the latter.

Psyren
2023-09-26, 03:54 PM
Note the Sorcerers get Metamagic at Level 3, not 2... So that would have to be a 17/3 split, not 18/2.

Whoops, got my wires crossed between 2014 Sorcerer and the UA Sorcerer :smallbiggrin: