PDA

View Full Version : Greyhawk Priestly Titles

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-09, 10:58 AM
Does anyone know of any source that lists titles associated with various priests in the Greyhawk setting? I just want to know the official word on these things if it exists.

It seems no matter how detailed the information that comes with a lot of books and articles on various D&D religions, they never really give much info on that. Which is unsettling, given the importance of ceremony and ritual in most faiths.

Thus far, I think the only times I've really heard much in the way of priestly titles is the Living Greyhawk adventures that refer to the High Rollers of Norebo (Gotta love priests of a god of gambling :smallbiggrin:), and the Cannoness of Saint Cuthbert in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. And that title is reserved for the high ranking priests.

Titles of address would also be particularly welcome.

In particular, at the moment I need Ehlonna.

UserClone
2007-12-09, 11:47 AM
There is a PrC called "Fleet Runner of Elohnna" in the Dragon mag. comp., if that helps. Sorta sounds like a ranking to me.

RTGoodman
2007-12-09, 12:29 PM
I just checked the Living Greyhawk official deity handbook thingy, and it doesn't even have anything like that listed, and I couldn't find anything via Google either.

What you may have to do is either just make up something that sounds cool (I couldn't think of anything), or see if there are any novels set in Greyhawk that involve the clergy of Ehlonna.

VerdugoExplode
2007-12-09, 01:43 PM
Well, if these don't work out and you can't find an official list you could always use some more generic titles. Wikipedia is surprisingly helpful in this regard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titles#Religious_.26_spiritual_titles

More titles than you can shake a stick at.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-12-09, 01:50 PM
As already mentioned, there are a few deity specific prestige classes out there, which could used as titles for the Clergy.

The only complete listing I can remember is for the priesthood of Vecna as it was featured in the 2nd edition adventure series.
Surprising, considering the secrecy of the cult...

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-12-19, 10:01 PM
Well, go figure.

I just found out that the Dragon Core Faiths articles on Heironeous and Hextor each give titles for priests of those faiths.

Pretty Cool.

Won't have much cause to use those for some time, but still pretty cool.