PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Bane weapons?

SolkaTruesilver
2007-12-09, 01:09 PM
I was wondering recently if there is any problem having more than one kind of "Bane" attribute on a magic weapon, even if two of those can stack?

For example, I take a +1 weapon, and I add "Evil Outsider Bane" and "Chaotic Outsider Bane", would I have a +5 weapon if I strike at demons? (not counting the +4d6 damage)

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-09, 01:14 PM
Thier doesn't seem to be anything against having two banes.

They might not stack as they come from the same cause.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-09, 01:19 PM
You can have multiple banes but they don't stack. So you would deal +2d6 damage against all evil and all chaotic outsiders and never more (from bane at least).

Edit @^: Hm, how did you get that conclusion? Was it in a FAQ? I was ruled that they don't stack.

Renegade Paladin
2007-12-09, 01:24 PM
I'm pretty sure the Sage said they do at some point; reasoning being that you have a weapon that's really great against one thing but sucks vs. everything else, and you're paying loads and loads of gold for it. So why not?

Amiria
2007-12-09, 01:25 PM
It wasn't in the FAQ. The sage said they didn't stack in Dragon 356 or so ... as I just learned.

Strange, from the wording of the bane ability, I have always concluded that they are an exceptional case, stacking with the weapons enhancement bonus and with itself. Apparently not. :smallconfused:

But still, I don't see a problem if they would stack. Only if you are in a game where you fight demons almost exclusively (like playing Baatezu in a Blood War campaign) I can see that a DM might want to disallow stacking or raise the cost of the second bane to +2.

SolkaTruesilver
2007-12-09, 01:30 PM
All right, thank you for the swift and immediate answer (masters of puns, I challenge you!)

Now, the 1000 cp question, the special quality seen in Complete Arcane, Magebane, is something different (although similar) from the regular Bane quality. If I have both Magebane and Bane (Evil Outsider) on a weapon, and I strike a, let's say, a geludon, do both bonuses stacks, or is Magebane simply considered a bane weapon?

Emperor Demonking
2007-12-09, 01:32 PM
Bane comes from bane, magebane comes from magebane. I don't have the book but I'd presume they'd stack.

Xefas
2007-12-09, 01:32 PM
I believe the actual question wasn't whether the rules say that it stacks, but rather if it would cause a problem if they did stack.

I was wondering recently if there is any problem [with] having more than one kind of "Bane" attribute... ...even if two of those can stack?

(Brackets added by me.)

In my opinion, there would be no balance issues.

Amiria
2007-12-09, 01:35 PM
All right, thank you for the swift and immediate answer (masters of puns, I challenge you!)

Now, the 1000 cp question, the special quality seen in Complete Arcane, Magebane, is something different (although similar) from the regular Bane quality. If I have both Magebane and Bane (Evil Outsider) on a weapon, and I strike a, let's say, a geludon, do both bonuses stacks, or is Magebane simply considered a bane weapon?

Magebane was toned down in the MIC. It doesn't work anymore against creatures that inherently have arcane spell-like abilities. SLA's gained from class levels (i.e. Warlock) still work for Magebane.

Lord Tataraus
2007-12-09, 01:50 PM
Magebane has a different focus and source than Bane so I would say they stack.

Chronos
2007-12-09, 04:47 PM
I asked about multiple Banes a while back in the Simple Q&A (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3175040#post3175040) thread a while back, and was told that the increase to enhancement bonus would not stack, but the extra damage would.

mostlyharmful
2007-12-09, 04:59 PM
Given that weapon users need every damn inch they can claw back from casters I cant see anything destabilizing about leting Magebane stack with Bane(Whatever). Esspecially since they're two different things tracking two different targets (easily observed qualities or gross spiritual states such as Orc or Evil outsider, and current Mystical potential Power ie spellcasting)

Keld Denar
2007-12-10, 07:21 AM
Given that weapon users need every damn inch they can claw back from casters I cant see anything destabilizing about leting Magebane stack with Bane(Whatever). Esspecially since they're two different things tracking two different targets (easily observed qualities or gross spiritual states such as Orc or Evil outsider, and current Mystical potential Power ie spellcasting)

If you want to get even more cheap d6s vs evil outsiders, consider the Sacred weapon enhancement from Libris Mortis:The Book of Bad Latin. It doesn't grant the +2 hit/dmg that a bane weapon would provide, but it does give the 2d6 dmg vs evil outsiders and aligns the weapon to good, so it can bypass most of the medium calibre demons DR. All for the small price of a +1 enhancement.

I have a character with a +1 Cold Iron Sacred Bane:Evil Outsiders spiked chain with Occult Slayer and 2 Rogue levels. When the stars align, and I find a demon with spell-likes who is vulnerable to crits, I'm tossin up an extra 6d6 on every swing in the flurry. Its a good thing!