PDA

View Full Version : Optimization spellfire questions

tepes
2023-09-30, 10:49 AM
so I am thinking of making an NPC focused on the "spellfire wielder" feat but there seems to be little content on the subject. as far as I know the only content for this nifty little ability's is the spellfire wielder feat, the spellfire channeler prestige class, and the spellfire hierophant epic prestige class. and that's it, all of it.

so my question is, is there any other content out there? I doubt there are any other classes or anything but maybe some other feats? or maybe any magic items? and if there aren't any actual feats or items specifically for spellfire is there any stuff that combos well with it either flavorfully or mechanically?

I know that this might be a bit of a more difficult of a request, so much thanks in advance.:smallbiggrin:

Biggus
2023-09-30, 12:01 PM
In the same article that the Spellfire Hierophant originally appeared in there's also the Epic Spellfire Wielder feat (it's a prerequisite for Spellfire Hierophant in fact). The latest version is found here: https://web.archive.org/web/20161101074118/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20030810a

As for things which synergize well: anything which boosts Con, and at higher levels Cha also. See my sig for a link on how to improve those. Boosts to Concentration such as a Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (MIC p.144) or Third Eye Concentrate (MIC p.141) can also be useful.

There are probably others but that's all that occurs to me right now.

Paragon
2023-09-30, 02:51 PM
The only addition I found to be helping Spellfire Wielding a lot is the Mad Foam Rager feat.
Lets you actually delete a spell cast on you and convert it as spellfire levels.

Ofc you'd better have unlimited rage like a badger or wolverine. Anthro- or Were-

Biggus
2023-09-30, 11:42 PM
The only addition I found to be helping Spellfire Wielding a lot is the Mad Foam Rager feat.
Lets you actually delete a spell cast on you and convert it as spellfire levels.

Ooh, that's a good one, means you don't have to ready actions, that takes care of one of the main downsides of spellfire.

Would combine well with the Instantaneous Rage feat (CW) so you don't already have to be in a rage to use MFR.

Ofc you'd better have unlimited rage like a badger or wolverine. Anthro- or Were-

If those aren't available there's the Extra Rage feat (CW) and I'm pretty sure there's a magic item which gives you an additional rage per day but I can't remember what it's called right now.

Edit: list of ways to get extra rages here https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/64177/how-can-a-barbarian-rage-more-often-without-taking-levels-or-feats

Darg
2023-10-01, 12:32 AM
A sorcerer's crossbow works with spellfire it because it works with SLAs (magic and items affect it as if it were an SLA). Ability focus improves the DC. Taking 6 levels of warlock gets you access to disembodied hand that lets you cheese the readied action for absorbing spells. Basically you cast the invocation, ready your action to absorb, and then next round first thing "expend" an action to have the hand cast an invocation at you. Because you don't take an action yet you are still considered readied and absorb it. If your DM doesn't subscribe to the RAW of the ability ask them if using eldritch glaive provokes an AoO. If it does then it's being cast as a spell and you can hold the charge. While holding the charge, ready an action to absorb, and then "expend" an action to have the hand touch you discharging the invocation. Because the hand is you you absorb it.

That's all I've got.

Biggus
2023-10-01, 01:53 AM
A sorcerer's crossbow works with spellfire it because it works with SLAs

What book is that in?

Paragon
2023-10-01, 01:59 AM
IIRC, there was an Iron Chef comp on Spellfire Channeler. I remember 2 ways of filling up Spellfire levels:
The dragon shaman with feather fall that jumped from a 5foot tree and absorbed Feather Fall while taking no damage.
A Soulknife that ate his +1 Mind Blade (absorbed with Spellfire Channeler class ability)

Didn't consider that warlock trick even though it doesn't look clean to me haha

MaxiDuRaritry
2023-10-01, 06:40 AM
What book is that in?Arms & Equipment Guide, I believe.

Paragon
2023-10-01, 07:04 AM
A sorcerer's crossbow works with spellfire it because it works with SLAs (magic and items affect it as if it were an SLA). Ability focus improves the DC. Taking 6 levels of warlock gets you access to disembodied hand that lets you cheese the readied action for absorbing spells. Basically you cast the invocation, ready your action to absorb, and then next round first thing "expend" an action to have the hand cast an invocation at you. Because you don't take an action yet you are still considered readied and absorb it. If your DM doesn't subscribe to the RAW of the ability ask them if using eldritch glaive provokes an AoO. If it does then it's being cast as a spell and you can hold the charge. While holding the charge, ready an action to absorb, and then "expend" an action to have the hand touch you discharging the invocation. Because the hand is you you absorb it.

That's all I've got.

It's called Sorcerer's Hand (thank for the find, I didn't know it !) and why would it apply to SLAs ?

Sorcerer’s Hand: The stock of this +2 light crossbow has been carved to resemble a humanoid forearm ending in a closed hand with two outstretched fingers.
Despite its unusual appearance, this crossbow is a potent tool for casting ray spells. If held and used as an additional arcane focus when casting a ray spell, the spell’s effective caster level is increased by 1. This increase affects all aspects of the spell, including damage, range, and duration. Furthermore, the sorcerer’s hand grants a +2 enhancement bonus on attack rolls for rays.
Caster Level: 11th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms
and Armor, any ray spell; Market Price: 18,335 gp; Cost
to Create: 9,335 gp + 720 XP.

Darg
2023-10-01, 10:42 AM
It's called Sorcerer's Hand (thank for the find, I didn't know it !) and why would it apply to SLAs ?

SLAs function just like spells unless otherwise noted. This means effects that work on spells work on SLAs unless noted otherwise.

Biggus
2023-10-01, 11:53 AM
SLAs function just like spells unless otherwise noted. This means effects that work on spells work on SLAs unless noted otherwise.

This isn't quite as cut and dried as you make it sound. I refer to your own thread of a few years ago: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?616792-3-5-Spell-like-abilities-benefitting-from-features-that-mention-spells

Darg
2023-10-01, 12:24 PM
This isn't quite as cut and dried as you make it sound. I refer to your own thread of a few years ago: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?616792-3-5-Spell-like-abilities-benefitting-from-features-that-mention-spells

It's not so cut and dry no. However, if we don't come at it with the base assumption that spells and SLAs function and interact interchangeably as a baseline the rules simply stop working when it comes to SLAs because they are omitted from direct mention in the text. When you read the rules as if they are separate entities except where they are not, you all of a sudden have a large hole in the rules. The only reason one wouldn't is that they subconsciously fill in the hole with the rules for spells (this happens for Su and Ex abilities as well).

Paragon
2023-10-01, 02:57 PM
While I agree with the general gist of your thesis, imho it doesn't work here for a specific reason :
"If held and used as an additional arcane focus when casting a ray spell , the spell’s effective caster level is increased by 1."

One could say that casting a ray SLA would default to casting a ray spell barring the explicit limitations in the piece of SRD you quoted in your old thread but here, you need to use the crossbow as an arcane focus. And SLA specifically do not use foci of any kind ergo it can't be done on this particular case

Darg
2023-10-01, 07:48 PM
While I agree with the general gist of your thesis, imho it doesn't work here for a specific reason :
"If held and used as an additional arcane focus when casting a ray spell , the spell’s effective caster level is increased by 1."

One could say that casting a ray SLA would default to casting a ray spell barring the explicit limitations in the piece of SRD you quoted in your old thread but here, you need to use the crossbow as an arcane focus. And SLA specifically do not use foci of any kind ergo it can't be done on this particular case

The problem with your assertion is that the sorcerer's hand is being used as an additional focus, not the original. Specific trumps general. Just like how Invocations have a somatic component that trumps the general rule that SLAs do not have components or like how an archmage's spell-like ability high arcana still keeps the xp component, the item can allow you to do or require something you wouldn't normally be able to do and still be able to do it.

Paragon
2023-10-02, 12:46 AM
Depends how you read "an additional" I guess.

Because (exception made from warlock's invocation which specify so in the definition) SLAs either have "components = 0" or "components = NaN"
The first reading allows the "+1 arcane focus" to work, the second (which I believe it is) doesn't

ShurikVch
2023-10-02, 11:17 AM
Since Spellfire is supernatural (according to the Magic of Faerûn), it can be used with meta-supernatural feats from the Tome of Magic, and Power Surge (Dragon #313)

Darg
2023-10-02, 01:01 PM
Depends how you read "an additional" I guess.

Because (exception made from warlock's invocation which specify so in the definition) SLAs either have "components = 0" or "components = NaN"
The first reading allows the "+1 arcane focus" to work, the second (which I believe it is) doesn't

A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, or material component, nor does it require a focus or have an XP cost.

Even if you say that the rules must be upheld in the strictest of sense the rules don't state that it will not have a focus component, just that it wouldn't require one. Sorcerer's hand makes an optional addition. If you can't add components to SLAs, then a warlock wouldn't be able to use the blood component ability of a blood magus.